ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoff TV Ratings thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Re: Playoff TV Ratings thread 

Post#41 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:44 pm

The ratings vs Boston will be bananas
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,277

Post#42 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:00 pm

gei wrote:Wow. That's shocking considering how much less exciting/entertaining the game is without fans.

I haven't noticed a difference. If anything, the product feels a lot more professional like this. It would be even better without the fake fan noise.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#43 » by Par36 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:18 pm

ash_k wrote:
Par36 wrote:...nono.. pretty certain the majority agree this is far less exciting than the normal playoff playoff environment.
You feel otherwise? Great..you're not the majority.

gei wrote:Wow. That's shocking considering how much less exciting/entertaining the game is without fans.

Are you guys coming around or what?? less exciting still ?

Read on Twitter

Coming around? Not remotely.
Quality of game is good but the game has lost a element of experience and excitement of playoff ball without crowds.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,145

Post#44 » by The Duke » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:29 pm

Boston series will break all records
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#45 » by ropjhk » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:38 pm

The Raptors picked up a huge amount of followers over the course of last years playoffs. It makes sense that many of the people tuning into the first round this year didn't watch the first round against Orlando last year.
gei
Sixth Man
And1: 394

Post#46 » by gei » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 pm

Par36 wrote:
ash_k wrote:
Par36 wrote:...nono.. pretty certain the majority agree this is far less exciting than the normal playoff playoff environment.
You feel otherwise? Great..you're not the majority.

Are you guys coming around or what?? less exciting still ?

Read on Twitter

Coming around? Not remotely.
Quality of game is good but the game has lost a element of experience and excitement of playoff ball without crowds.

Definitely. I'm certainly pumped for the Raptors as a team this year, but the playoff experience without fans is really quite underwhelming.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#47 » by Young_Buc » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:24 am

Lmao where is the troll GSP ?! He always comes in to remind us the ratings suck. We have 1:30 games averaging silly numbers.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#48 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:40 pm

NHL has many problems it needs to solve, chiefly, their social media and fan diversity. Apparently, nearly 60% of NBA fans are under 35 and more than 45% of viewers are of ethnic heritage.

For comparison, the NHL's demographics are 92% white and 64% of their fans are over 35. These stats are not encouraging for a league that is struggling to diversify and reach viewership ratings in Canada, of all places.
2bmrap
Ballboy
And1: 28

Post#49 » by 2bmrap » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Did anyone see any regular season Raptors TV ratings anywhere this year? Except for a marquee game of course. I suspect this wasn't an accident
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#50 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:31 pm

NBAs digital game is strong...

[Twitter]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/twitter]
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,481

Post#51 » by bballsparkin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:40 pm

720 wrote:“Canada” lol guarantee you the vast majority of those viewers are in the GTA.

I bet it's higher outside the GTA than you think. I grew up in BC and me and most my friends watched basketball. When I go back home I watch games with my mom's significant other and he loves basketball. Heck even my mom watched games during the championship run. Definitely the GTA is the heart of the viewership no doubt though. 1/4th of Canada lives here lol.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#52 » by B-Ball Freak » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:44 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:NBAs digital game is strong...

[Twitter]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/twitter]

Does anybody have the number from previous years?
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#53 » by 720 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:01 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
720 wrote:“Canada” lol guarantee you the vast majority of those viewers are in the GTA.

I bet it's higher outside the GTA than you think. I grew up in BC and me and most my friends watched basketball. When I go back home I watch games with my mom's significant other and he loves basketball. Heck even my mom watched games during the championship run. Definitely the GTA is the heart of the viewership no doubt though. 1/4th of Canada lives here lol.

1/3rd if you count all of southern Ontario.
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#54 » by Coach Smiley » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:50 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:

[Twitter]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/twitter]

Thank you for sharing this. Media still seems so obsessed with TV ratings while ignoring the fact that people are cutting left and right, and those that remain are old.
ReggieSlater
Starter
And1: 873

Post#55 » by ReggieSlater » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 pm

Coach Smiley wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:

[Twitter]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/twitter]

Thank you for sharing this. Media still seems so obsessed with TV ratings while ignoring the fact that people are cutting left and right, and those that remain are old.

The NBA makes big money from cable companies. Shifting their focus to digital distribution is prudent considering recent trends, but monetizing will be tricky. The focus on traditional cable numbers is simply because of the financial impact of TV viewership.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#56 » by Hero » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:19 pm

How much revenue is the NBA getting from youtube views vs people actually tuning in via cable and watching a 2hr game?
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#57 » by nabbs » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:12 am

Unless the NBA digital strategy and revenue recognition models align, there may be some trouble coming up in the not so distant future.

The one hope the league has (and I see this as a possibility)...... When the league's tv rights expire in 2023 or 2024, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Disney need to go all in and bid for the exclusive NBA streaming rights. At some point, they will need to achieve huge subscriber growth to justify some of these valuations. Getting the NBA rights on their streaming platforms will accomplish that

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,693

Post#58 » by Zeno » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:15 am

nabbs wrote:Unless the NBA digital strategy and revenue recognition models align, there may be some trouble coming up in the not so distant future.

The one hope the league has (and I see this as a possibility)...... When the league's tv rights expire in 2023 or 2024, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Disney need to go all in and bid for the exclusive NBA streaming rights. At some point, they will need to achieve huge subscriber growth to justify some of these valuations. Getting the NBA rights on their streaming platforms will accomplish that

This kind of aligns with the future I predict for movie theatre chains. Near bankruptcy, I think their assets will be bought out by streaming services. The streaming services will then introduce tiered billing based on online only or online “plus” where subscribers can attend a limited number of events per month, viewing parties, premieres, perhaps sporting events at theatres as well.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
gsptheman
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#59 » by gsptheman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:52 am

nabbs wrote:Unless the NBA digital strategy and revenue recognition models align, there may be some trouble coming up in the not so distant future.

I think NBA is done, only 5 million americans watched the game 6 of the NBA finals while the biggest basketball star was playing. 5million viewers? out of 330 million? the NBA finals game lost to regular season NFL game which had about 11 million viewers...Those are some bad numbers, hope they can get there **** together or big drop in the revenue coming
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Post#60 » by Anticon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:26 am

gsptheman wrote:

I think NBA is done, only 5 million americans watched the game 6 of the NBA finals while the biggest basketball star was playing. 5million viewers? out of 330 million? the NBA finals game lost to regular season NFL game which had about 11 million viewers...Those are some bad numbers, hope they can get there **** together or big drop in the revenue coming

Given Westbrook will be making 47 million in two years, which is not far off some team payrolls, a revenue drop is fine. Honestly the league has been in bad shape ever since the cap jump in 2016, and had its best recent run under the more restrictive CBA after the 2011 lockout.

Return to Toronto Raptors