Free agents potentially of-interest

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Re: Free agents potentially of-interest 

Post#81 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:04 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:[Hield] looked terrible in the restart.... But what would it take to get him in Atlanta? I don't think they want Dedmon back, they'll want at least Huerter I imagine

I wouldn't even give up one of our wings.

I would allow them to get from under his contract and take back a middling 1st rounder in return. (The OKC conditional pick)

Otherwise, they can just swap bad contracts for him.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#82 » by jayu70 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:39 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:[Hield] looked terrible in the restart.... But what would it take to get him in Atlanta? I don't think they want Dedmon back, they'll want at least Huerter I imagine

I wouldn't even give up one of our wings.

I would allow them to get from under his contract and take back a middling 1st rounder in return. (The OKC conditional pick)

Otherwise, they can just swap bad contracts for him.

I'd do that, but as kg pointed out will he be happy with a bench role.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:37 pm

jayu70 wrote:I'd do that, but as kg pointed out will he be happy with a bench role.

I'd start Buddy Hield over Cam and Kevin.

Their day will come, but Hield's 4 years of college ball + 4 years of pro experience make him the more viable option right now.

Seeing what Luka and the Mavs are accomplishing right now in the playoffs...there's no reason we can't be doing the same thing right now in a wide-open Eastern Conference.

We already got a starting Center in his prime to pair with Collins in the front court. I'd go out and pursue a starting SG in his prime to pair with Young in the back court.
myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Post#84 » by myrak433 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:47 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I'd do that, but as kg pointed out will he be happy with a bench role.

Their day will come, but Hield's 4 years of college ball + 4 years of pro experience make him the more viable option right now.

Seeing what Luka and the Mavs are accomplishing right now in the playoffs...there's no reason we can't be doing the same thing right now in a wide-open Eastern Conference.

We already got a starting Center in his prime to pair with Collins in the front court. I'd go out and pursue a starting SG in his prime to pair with Young in the back court.

Hield is worst on defense than LaVine. But Lavine is a better play maker and scorer. Unless we are getting someone that can get his own and score 25/30 on a given night, I would rather get a defensive back court mate with Trae
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:50 am

myrak433 wrote:Hield is worst on defense than LaVine....I would rather get a defensive back court mate with Trae

I'm not sure why Lavine is suddenly a part of the conversation...

My response is simply this: I don't care about defense.

I care about winning games.

Luka and the Mavs this year set an all time record for the most prolific offense in NBA history with Doncic and a bunch of veteran offensive players to spread the floor. Right now, their team is going toe-to-toe with the team many believe to be the best team in the NBA on the back of that dominant offense.

I think we can ultimately do the same thing. Spread the floor with shooters and offensive players, increase the pace and let Trae orchestrate a top offense.

Buddy Hield is at least the caliber of player as THJ and Seth Curry and capable of comparable production.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#86 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:32 am

No reason to not pick up a solid young player for a non-lottery FRP. I'm thinking that Cam continues building on his end of season form, he could quickly become a solid starter. Still no reason to not bring in someone like Hield if he's cheap.

Add in a coupla cheap, short FA or buy-outs and I'm with Jamal. Let Trae lead his team to a playoff run
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#87 » by myrak433 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:03 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
myrak433 wrote:Hield is worst on defense than LaVine....I would rather get a defensive back court mate with Trae

Luka and the Mavs this year set an all time record for the most prolific offense in NBA history with Doncic and a bunch of veteran offensive players to spread the floor. Right now, their team is going toe-to-toe with the team many believe to be the best team in the NBA on the back of that dominant offense.

I think we can ultimately do the same thing. Spread the floor with shooters and offensive players, increase the pace and let Trae orchestrate a top offense.

Buddy Hield is at least the caliber of player as THJ and Seth Curry and capable of comparable production.

I agree with you......
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#88 » by myrak433 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:08 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:No reason to not pick up a solid young player for a non-lottery FRP. I'm thinking that Cam continues building on his end of season form, he could quickly become a solid starter. Still no reason to not bring in someone like Hield if he's cheap.

Add in a coupla cheap, short FA or buy-outs and I'm with Jamal. Let Trae lead his team to a playoff run

two things....
1. Hield is not cheap
2. you will not get him for a non-lottery FRP or one of Huerter, Hunter, or Cam.

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#89 » by kg01 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:52 pm

myrak433 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I agree with you......

I won't say that I agree with you both .... I'll just say you make compelling arguments. That's as far as I'm gonna go.

Still, even if you don't care about defense, you have to recognize having too many non-defenders comes back to bite you at some point. If Paul George wasn't eating a spoon full of cinnamon pregame, during game, and post-game the Clippers would probably be in control of that series.

(what, you don't know what the cinnamon thing is? means he's choking. Laugh, these are the jokes people :) )
king01 :king:
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,954

Post#90 » by shakes0 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:55 pm

myrak433 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Hield is worst on defense than LaVine. But Lavine is a better play maker and scorer. Unless we are getting someone that can get his own and score 25/30 on a given night, I would rather get a defensive back court mate with Trae

when even our guy myrak433 balks at an offensive player because of defense you know there's an issue with the guy. :D

This is an EZPASS for the Hawks. Terrible fit and possibly a terrible attitude.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#91 » by jayu70 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:18 pm

I'd rather give Evan Fournier ($17 mil) a look if the Magic are trading him if he picks up his option. He's on a 1 year deal which leaves us with financial flexibility. I'd even prefer Terrance Ross (3yrs $13, 12, 11) as a bench bucket getter.
Orlando has $121 million in salary for next season, they maybe looking to cut salary.
Or Norman Powell (2yrs/10 and 11).

These would be using the OKC 2022 1st.
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#92 » by myrak433 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:30 pm

shakes0 wrote:
myrak433 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

when even our guy myrak433 balks at an offensive player because of defense you know there's an issue with the guy. :D

This is an EZPASS for the Hawks. Terrible fit and possibly a terrible attitude.

I don’t truely oppose getting a player like Hield. I just think that the player that I will not name would fill the roll he would player 2 times better. So if we are going after the same type player that has less talent (my opinion) but makes more money, I would rather go more defense. I want elite offense not good offense to pair with Trae. If it is not elite offense it would be better to get good defense.

I hope you guys can follow my rambling...at work and my boss is lurking

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#93 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:01 pm

myrak433 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:No reason to not pick up a solid young player for a non-lottery FRP. I'm thinking that Cam continues building on his end of season form, he could quickly become a solid starter. Still no reason to not bring in someone like Hield if he's cheap.

two things....
1. Hield is not cheap
2. you will not get him for a non-lottery FRP or one of Huerter, Hunter, or Cam.

I said "if". If you want to understand where I stand, let me make it simple. Develop the youth, bring in cheap short-term vet help to make a play-off run.

The only reason I didn't shoot down the Hield suggestion was because I'm not the aggressive internet type that jumps at the chance to, jump someone :D
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by myrak433 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:25 pm

Y’all now who would be the perfect running mate for Trae???

Prime Joe Johnson man I would have loved those two together on the Hawks

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#95 » by saloonyk8 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:30 pm

myrak433 wrote:Y’all now who would be the perfect running mate for Trae???

I'd go with prime Klay Thompson... Although he's probably the best backcourt mate for any PG ever
Commit to the process
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#96 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:03 am

Said this to a friend a few days ago. Also could’ve used Trae on our 60-win team. We didn’t have a killer. Trae would’ve at least took it to a six games against Cleveland.

But back on topic, if we’re looking for cheap playoff push help from a player on a team that isn’t utilizing him/doesn’t need him, then I’m throwing Kelly Oubre’s name back in the hat. At least he gives us defense and he’s cheaper and is expiring. Also I’m glad to see I’m not the only one liking the idea of getting him.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Someone we like will definitely be at #10.
myrak433
Sixth Man

Post#97 » by myrak433 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:04 am

Radioblacktive1 wrote:

Said this to a friend a few days ago. Also could’ve used Trae on our 60-win team. We didn’t have a killer. Trae would’ve at least took it to a six games against Cleveland.

But back on topic, if we’re looking for cheap playoff push help from a player on a team that isn’t utilizing him/doesn’t need him, then I’m throwing Kelly Oubre’s name back in the hat. At least he gives us defense and he’s cheaper and is expiring. Also I’m glad to see I’m not the only one liking the idea of getting him.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

How about Caris LeVert?

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#98 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:16 am

myrak433 wrote:
Radioblacktive1 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

How about Caris LeVert?

Absolutely. I’ve been proposing him for weeks. He’s been a decently high usage guy obviously that KD and Kyrie are out and I think he’s done a decent job as a first option. I suspect when KD and Kyrie get back, his usage will plummet and he won’t be as useful so they may just move him. I think he makes a great backcourt partner for Trae AND he’s decently defensively. If we’re looking to the playoffs, and there are two way players possibly available, I wouldn’t lock in on Buddy Hield. Now Caris may have earned some more value with his bubble performance so he might be the most expensive of these three names, but if the price is too high, I vote Oubre over Hield. Let Cam and Kev compete for the 2-spot.
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#99 » by saloonyk8 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Oubre Jr is probably the best fit for our team. If the only cost is moving down 4 spots in this draft that should be an easy decision. I doubt Phoenix is angling to move up just 4 spots for him though. He could be valuable on a lot of teams and still keeps the door open for cap space another year.
Commit to the process
jayu70
RealGM

Post#100 » by jayu70 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:41 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:Oubre Jr is probably the best fit for our team. If the only cost is moving down 4 spots in this draft that should be an easy decision. I doubt Phoenix is angling to move up just 4 spots for him though. He could be valuable on a lot of teams and still keeps the door open for cap space another year.

Reports are he's too high maintenance.

Return to Atlanta Hawks