ImageImageImageImage

2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 4- Milwaukee Bucks (2-1) vs Orlando Magic 1:30 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 4- Milwaukee Bucks (2-1) vs Orlando Magic 1:30 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#321 » by pepe1991 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:18 am

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think he meant no Magic players run the floor with Fultz, because if they did they could have a numbers advantage in certain situations where the right pass could lead to easy buckets... Giannis cant guard everyone.

Im starting to wonder if the Magic dont do any transition drills or passing/weaving on the run. Its fundamental stuff... and a good warmup... but maybe its be beneath them.

Meanwhile, we blew a 3 on 1 break with Ennis, Evan and someone else when IIRC Ennis made the wrong pass, Evan blew a 2 on 1 by going too soft on the pass to Ennis... I think Wes has blown a 2 on 1 or two and there have been other examples as well.

Any time we have a 2 or 3 on 1 break, unless AG is jumping over people to finish there is a solid chance we blow it.

Magic are only behind 76ers when it comes to being the worst efficiency -transition team in playoffs.
Matter of fact Magic are so damn terrible in transition that their overall FG% is much better on set defense than in transition.

10 ppg, 32% FG.

Those are Magic transition numbers in playoffs. And second highest turnover frequency.

2 out of 4 best transition teams ( ppg scored in transition) got swept in playoffs already

There is so little co-relation between good teams and transition points that 5 of 10 top tranisition teams in regular season were not playoffs teams this year. ( Suns and Nets have top 4 most effective transition offense in nba - regular season )

There is also whole new thing in transition where pull up 3s are new normal. How many Magic players can stop and pop from 25 feet? Ross and Evan? Dj? 3 out of 12 players ? Maybe.
Transition nowdays is like everything else, you simply have to be able to shoot and dribble.

There is also big misconception about Gordon and how fast he is. His average speed of running is worst than Isaac' and Khem Birch runs faster than both. Matter of fact Aminu is faster than all 3 i mentioned before.

On offense once again Gordon is one of slower Magic players. Fultz is fastest.
Defense, same story, Gordon is only faster than Vuc and Dj Augustin (lol )

I do not find running speed particularly useful basketball skill ( being explosive is more important from athletic perspective). But Magic do not have horses nor skill to play faster. Half of the roster can't even make right pass while standing still
Gordon was one of the fastest runners at the combine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Was is the key word.

2019-20 average speed 4,20 miles per hour ( one of slower Magic players)
2018-19 average speed 4,28 miles ( average speed for Magic player)
2017-18 - average speed 4,46 miles
2016-17- average speed 4,45
2015-16- average speed 4,56

His speed flat out declined over years. He is 25, is not getting any younger, has 6 years of nba under him, he'll peak now, stay in this prime athletic for next 2 years at most, and decline. ( Josh Smith was my orginal Gordon comp for years, 25-27 will be his peak, after his athletic decline,he'll have ungraceful decline ).
He simply does not have game to "fall ", just like it's happening with DIpo now. They are painfully average basketball players gifted with incredible athletics.

Payton used to run 4,6 miles a hour, now he is at 4,3. Hezonja used to run 4,5 miles an hours , now he is at 4,18... nagging injuries take their speed without anybody even noticing until it becomes obvious.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 4- Milwaukee Bucks (2-1) vs Orlando Magic 1:30 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#322 » by drsd » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:40 pm

Xatticus wrote:We aren't in this series. The only reason it isn't really ugly is because Milwaukee is just letting us shoot threes and we have hit enough to keep the scores respectable..

I do not disagree with your narrative. But look: the Bucks is defending the Magic 3-ball in an elite fashion.

For me the better team is winning.
The Bucks is not constructed to crush a team. They exist to contain. Milwaukee is containing Orlando.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#323 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:23 pm

zaymon wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Magic are only behind 76ers when it comes to being the worst efficiency -transition team in playoffs.
Matter of fact Magic are so damn terrible in transition that their overall FG% is much better on set defense than in transition.

10 ppg, 32% FG.

Those are Magic transition numbers in playoffs. And second highest turnover frequency.

2 out of 4 best transition teams ( ppg scored in transition) got swept in playoffs already

There is so little co-relation between good teams and transition points that 5 of 10 top tranisition teams in regular season were not playoffs teams this year. ( Suns and Nets have top 4 most effective transition offense in nba - regular season )

There is also whole new thing in transition where pull up 3s are new normal. How many Magic players can stop and pop from 25 feet? Ross and Evan? Dj? 3 out of 12 players ? Maybe.
Transition nowdays is like everything else, you simply have to be able to shoot and dribble.

There is also big misconception about Gordon and how fast he is. His average speed of running is worst than Isaac' and Khem Birch runs faster than both. Matter of fact Aminu is faster than all 3 i mentioned before.

On offense once again Gordon is one of slower Magic players. Fultz is fastest.
Defense, same story, Gordon is only faster than Vuc and Dj Augustin (lol )

I do not find running speed particularly useful basketball skill ( being explosive is more important from athletic perspective). But Magic do not have horses nor skill to play faster. Half of the roster can't even make right pass while standing still

My point with Gordon was his finishing ability more than his speed.

If hes out on the break any passer can lob the ball over the defender somewhere in the general vicinity of the rim and he will usually finish. When we have Ennis/Evan/Clark and other unathletic players running, you need a pinpoint pass to finsh the break and they have not been good at making it.

Also don't disagree with your transition stats and the correlation to playoff teams, and I'm not saying we should be trying to be the best transition offence in the league, but, sure wouldn't help to improve it a little and get a few easy buckets when they are there for the taking.

Gordon is one of our worst transition players by the numbers and eye test. Not fast with the ball like pepe mentioned, commits a lot of turnovers, cant finish outside a dunk. If we want to run with Fultz Gordon is not a great option really.
Not sure how anyone can say Fournier is faster than Gordon. The guy honestly runs like girl.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic