Retired Mod
And1: 21,750

Lakers & Clippers vote in favor of stopping the season 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:04 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,235

Re: Lakers & Clippers vote in favor of stopping the season 

Post#2 » by EArl » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:28 am

If the two best teams in the league don't play, that would be interesting if the rest of the league continued. I think that would end the season. Im assuming other players from other teams would also boycott as well.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#3 » by BEazy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:35 am

I'm just exhausted. Let's just end the season. I know it's a lost opportunity for the Lakers, but basketball is far from these player's minds right now. Let's just start fresh with the new season in late December early January.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#4 » by donkeylips » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:40 am

Much respect. This is bigger than basketball
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,228

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:21 am

Pfft... Call me when they do something that actually costs them anything... They're sacrificing, what, exactly, for this cause?

Union ain't going to let the paychecks stop... Only people set to 'sacrifice' anything are the league, the owners and all the little people they provide livelihoods for... How many of them are black?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,466

Post#6 » by Slava » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:36 am

Kilroy wrote:Pfft... Call me when they do something that actually costs them anything... They're sacrificing, what, exactly, for this cause?

Union ain't going to let the paychecks stop... Only people set to 'sacrifice' anything are the league, the owners and all the little people they provide livelihoods for... How many of them are black?

It will cost them sooner than later. The league as a whole invested around $270M into making the bubble possible. Without fans and in arena attendances, the only revenue they have left is the broadcast income, if they can't deliver games, they'll completely shutdown all revenue streams, except may be apparel.

All of these losses circle around to a big dent in the BRI, which is a 50-50 split between owners and players, which in turn effects the salary cap going forward. A guy like AD or Giannis, who were poised to sign their first mega contracts are putting a lot of money at risk here.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#7 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:45 am

Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Pfft... Call me when they do something that actually costs them anything... They're sacrificing, what, exactly, for this cause?

It will cost them sooner than later. The league as a whole invested around $270M into making the bubble possible. Without fans and in arena attendances, the only revenue they have left is the broadcast income, if they can't deliver games, they'll completely shutdown all revenue streams, except may be apparel.

All of these losses circle around to a big dent in the BRI, which is a 50-50 split between owners and players, which in turn effects the salary cap going forward. A guy like AD or Giannis, who were poised to sign their first mega contracts are putting a lot of money at risk here.

Sorry if I'm a little more pessimistic than that, and maybe AD hasn't figured that out yet, but how many players from those teams are in that situation? Just AD?
I'd need some sort of proof that at the end of the day, ending this season actually affected his bottom line at all. I'd be willing to bet it won't.

Whatever... Like I said... I was having a tough time giving a **** before, now I'm struggling to muster the energy to finish this post.

Stick a fork in it... At least that's some sort of closure.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Slava » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:09 am

I think its a little condescending to even think Davis doesn't comprehend the effect this could have on his livelihood. Even if you go by the dumb jock theory, he has agents, whose full time job is to inform him of every little event that effects his bottom line. They'd have been talking on almost an every day basis with the Lakers and Davis, considering this is his contract year.

It effects every single player, agent and owner who expects to make any money from the NBA action over the duration of the collective bargaining agreement and even beyond that.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#9 » by Spanish_Laker » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 am

If they decide to stop playing, my support for this franchise and this league will end now.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 am

Slava wrote:I think its a little condescending to even think Davis doesn't comprehend the effect this could have on his livelihood. Even if you go by the dumb jock theory, he has agents, whose full time job is to inform him of every little event that effects his bottom line. They'd have been talking on almost an every day basis with the Lakers and Davis, considering this is his contract year.

So it's out of the realm of possibility that in this by all accounts, impromptu meeting, in the heat of the moment, fired up by everyone else, that it may have slipped his mind that he may have more fat in the fire than the other guys if he decides to walk out?
That would make him a 'dumb jock?' Or just human?

But on the flip side, saying that he knew all the intricacies of how their walkout could potentially effect the cap and how that may in turn effect the contract he can sign... Why would he agree to quit the season knowing that unlike all but maybe a hand-full, but in reality maybe just one other player, he stands to be leaving a lot more money on the table? Maybe because he isn't a dumb jock and knows that there's multiple ways to cut that pie and at the end of the day, it isn't going to effect his bottom line much, if at all?

Even if you can rationalize all both of those scenarios away, you'd still have to admit that this has all the markings of an empty gesture at best, and more of a publicity stunt at worse...
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,766

Post#11 » by evilpimp972 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:29 am

Spanish_Laker wrote:If they decide to stop playing, my support for this franchise and this league will end now.

We won't regret your departure, sayonara!
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#12 » by Spanish_Laker » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:31 am

What a bunch of idiots. Cancelling the season won't solve anything, no one cares about what a group of spoiled multi-billionaire black athletes do. Are they also going to boycott their own league and contracts for using clothes made in China by children in slavery conditions?
These idiots are paid millions to play basketball, not to behave as politicians. I hope the owners are firmly considering voiding their contracts if they refuse to work.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#13 » by kblo247 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:44 am

Spanish_Laker wrote:What a bunch of idiots. Cancelling the season won't solve anything, no one cares about what a group of spoiled multi-billionaire black athletes do. Are they also going to boycott their own league and contracts for using clothes made in China by children in slavery conditions?
These idiots are paid millions to play basketball, not to behave as politicians. I hope the owners are firmly considering voiding their contracts if they refuse to work.

What gives you the right to call them idiots? And do you realize calling them that basically makes you appear to be the idiot in the room because you're mad they won't shut up and just dribble? If the best you got is freedom of speech, freedom of political views, and all that, then you are basically condemning them for the rights they are owed too

They are paid to advertise. They are paid to put people in seats. They are paid to generate revenue through tv. They are paid to move merchandise. They are paid to participate in a NBA Cares program and Basketball Without Borders, but the people they predominantly represent and come from aren't cared about.

Jimmy Butler had the realest and best message of all when asked about his jersey choice, leave it blank because if I wasn't in the NBA I would be looked at as nothing/nobody just like the others who were killed and get harassed daily. That message was too powerful for the league and Nike both as a whole which is why they stopped him from day one.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#14 » by kblo247 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:49 am

Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:I think its a little condescending to even think Davis doesn't comprehend the effect this could have on his livelihood. Even if you go by the dumb jock theory, he has agents, whose full time job is to inform him of every little event that effects his bottom line. They'd have been talking on almost an every day basis with the Lakers and Davis, considering this is his contract year.

So it's out of the realm of possibility that in this by all accounts, impromptu meeting, in the heat of the moment, fired up by everyone else, that it may have slipped his mind that he may have more fat in the fire than the other guys if he decides to walk out?

But on the flip side, saying that he knew all the intricacies of how their walkout could potentially effect the cap and how that may in turn effect the contract he can sign... Why would he agree to quit the season knowing that unlike all but maybe a hand-full, but in reality maybe just one other player, he stands to be leaving a lot more money on the table? Maybe because he isn't a dumb jock and knows that there's multiple ways to cut that pie and at the end of the day, it isn't going to effect his bottom line much, if at all?

Even if you can rationalize all both of those scenarios away, you'd still have to admit that this has all the markings of an empty gesture at best, and more of a publicity stunt at worse...

Maybe he does not care. I get what you are saying, but if he cared about money he takes that super max. He would take it and then say trade me. It has happened before, see Dwight in Orlando with his extension. See Melo in NY when he forced his way there and extended. If he cared about money he would have signed on and pulled a Paul George and forced his way out later.

Yes he isn't go play for free, but money to him is trivial the second he gave up his super max. He literally had the whole Brinks truck at his door and said no. He knows he can make that back. He is a LeBron sidekick, he is a Laker now and hollywood embraces him, and the last moments he was seen on TV is playing hard as hell for Kobe.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Slava » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 am

Kilroy wrote:

Or may be he just wants to take a stand to show that he is not going to entertain the world when something horrible is happening around his country to people who look like him but don't have the basketball talent to be worth something, regardless of the consequences to his pocket. There's also that in the realm of possibilities.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,994

Post#16 » by Optms » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:51 pm

I honestly wouldn't care what these guys do if it weren't for Lebron's decline coming at any moment if we don't get this done now. We aren't going to win another title unless the team retools after this season. Clippers are going to remain a force and Dallas is coming. Its now or never.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,767

Post#17 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Los Manos wrote:
Read on Twitter
Forum permissions