ImageImageImageImage

2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#181 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,499

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#182 » by jezzerinho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:35 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:It never ceases to amaze me the kinds of scumbags who end up being martyred for the anti-police movement. Floyd was a guy who threatened to shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach and Blake is wanted for sexual assault. Real stand up guys.

You seem to be suggesting that the US police forces hold themselves to the same standards as the scumbags who they shoot multiple times or asphyxiate.

The police are there to uphold the law against the scumbags, rapists and also those who commit very minor offenses, regardless of colour.

In doing so, they have to adhere to some kind of semblance of legal behaviour themselves. There are very few circumstances that warrant shooting a guy, regardless of colour or his crime, seven times in the back.

You can support police forces, hate rapists and still protest for change without one ounce of hypocrisy. It just requires police restraint and -preferably - a large dose of gun control to make police forces' jobs easier.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#183 » by MagicMatic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:44 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
I brought up the idea of boycotting playing in certain states because there is actually a precedence set when the NBA moved the 2016 all star game from Charlotte because the league objected to the North Carolina Bill 2 which limited anti-discrimination laws.

I guess I think your perspective is a little shortsighted. If it was just a couple teams that demanded this sort of thing I think the league and owners wouldn't accept it, sure. But if it becomes every team and then maybe the MLB and NFL follow suit (kinda like yesterday) - they could make some pretty big changes.

At the end of the day, people can definitely feel however they want towards the players for not playing, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to just say "this [won't] solve anything".

So your example is that the nba decided to move the games and not that NC changed the laws because they decided against it. That’s my point. It didn’t solve the actual issue. This is just grandstanding.

What “changes” do you think will come of these NBA teams refusing to play out of “protest”? I’d love to know what they actually and realistically want to be done in order to feel justified. Give me a policy. Otherwise this is peoples feelings getting hurt because bad people and situations of injustice will always exist regardless of identity.

I think if anyone’s opinion is “shortsighted”, it’s theirs. Kneeling for the national anthem during football games for a blanketed “cops kill black people” is one thing. Boycotting the playoffs entirely because of a particular incident? Nah.

They're connected though? Obviously kneeling wasn't enough so they boycotted a game.

And my example was just stating that the NBA has made decisions like this in the past - they could try to make an even bigger one (entire league, all season) and inspire other sports to do the same - at that point it could lead to actual change.

Oh? Professional athletes kneeling during a national anthem and wearing blm jerseys didn’t stop another guy from getting shot? You don’t say...

It’s almost like the real world exists outside of pampered entertainers lives and **** will happen regardless of their “protest”.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#184 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:57 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
So your example is that the nba decided to move the games and not that NC changed the laws because they decided against it. That’s my point. It didn’t solve the actual issue. This is just grandstanding.

What “changes” do you think will come of these NBA teams refusing to play out of “protest”? I’d love to know what they actually and realistically want to be done in order to feel justified. Give me a policy. Otherwise this is peoples feelings getting hurt because bad people and situations of injustice will always exist regardless of identity.

I think if anyone’s opinion is “shortsighted”, it’s theirs. Kneeling for the national anthem during football games for a blanketed “cops kill black people” is one thing. Boycotting the playoffs entirely because of a particular incident? Nah.

They're connected though? Obviously kneeling wasn't enough so they boycotted a game.

And my example was just stating that the NBA has made decisions like this in the past - they could try to make an even bigger one (entire league, all season) and inspire other sports to do the same - at that point it could lead to actual change.

Oh? Professional athletes kneeling during a national anthem and wearing blm jerseys didn’t stop another guy from getting shot? You don’t say...

It’s almost like the real world exists outside of pampered entertainers lives and **** will happen regardless of their “protest”.

Gotcha - yeah, we're probably done with this "discussion".
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#185 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:00 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:It never ceases to amaze me the kinds of scumbags who end up being martyred for the anti-police movement. Floyd was a guy who threatened to shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach and Blake is wanted for sexual assault. Real stand up guys.

Not that it really matters, but the woman wasn't pregnant and Floyd served 4 years for that crime. He's supposed to keep paying for it after service his time for the crime? I don't think that's how the justice system works but it's a common theme with how society views these situations.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#186 » by thelead » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:00 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

He's not wrong though.

A goal without a plan is just a wish.

WHAT IS THE PLAN? HOW DO YOU END POLICE BRUTALITY?

I outlined a few things that I think need to happen but you won't hear a real plan from anyone in the NBA or other sports league.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#187 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:13 pm

thelead wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

He's not wrong though.

I outlined a few things that I think need to happen but you won't hear a real plan from anyone in the NBA or other sports league.

The quotes don't go far enough back, but my initial post was suggesting that one tangible thing that could happen is teams could boycott playing in certain states until they pass X legislation. Maybe something like 50%+ of Campaign Zero policies are implemented?

Most states already have legislation along these lines rolling but the NBA could help push that.

They could also set up funding tunnels for that legislation and match donations since a lot of arguments against Campaign Zero are funding-based.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#188 » by Bakomagic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:26 pm

thelead wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

He's not wrong though.

They are working towards finding the best route to affect real change.

They have done a good job of voicing there concerns with police brutality and social inequality, which has helped spur real conversation across the globe and now they are using their power to engage in conversation with powerful people who can effect political change in these matters

They have the ear of owners (wealthy businessmen with political pull)

They have the ear of political leaders : The Milwaukee Bucks were able to have a conversation with the Attorney General and Lt Governor of their state !

Even the White House has said it would like to reach out to Lebron James via Jared Kushner. Jared even said that Pres Trump would like to have a conversation on these concerns.

Considering how sensitive Trump is about negative Press and how outspoken James has been about Trump I’d say that’s a big deal.

Big things are definitely happening and the NBA may be at the forefront of change.

It’s actually been pretty impressive imo.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#189 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Sounds like the playoffs are back on starting tomorrow.

I'm excited for the season to continue. I'm also excited to see what the NBA will do next in terms of police brutality/racial injustice.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#190 » by MagicMatic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Bakomagic wrote:
thelead wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

He's not wrong though.

Big things are definitely happening and the NBA may be at the forefront of change.

:lol:

Ah yes. The nba . Where we all look to for change in national policy.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,414

Post#191 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:05 pm

OrlandO wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
You're conflating isolated incidents with patterns and trends. It's like when a man complains that the media and society ignores sexual harassment/assault/rape against men. Does it happen? Of course. Is it a problem? Yes. Is it as big of a problem as it is against women? No. And that's the difference.

(edited insert: And to be clear, yes those issues need to be addressed as well. But the urgency isn't as prevalent and there's a chance those issues are resolved by addressing the larger issue as well. But if not, fix the bigger problem first and then work on the smaller issue. /end edit).

Yes, violence happens against officers. Yes, officers kill white people too for BS reasons too. But not on the scale, and not for the same level of reasons against minorities, specifically black people. The response to a white man walking down the street armed with an AR-15 is entirely different than it is against a black man. People didn't wake up one day and see an isolated incident and go to the streets to the protest. It's been DECADES of this stuff happening and it hit a boiling point.

Also, regarding the "rapist black criminal" as you put it. Did the police know his record before shooting him? I fail to see how. And if not, it has no bearing on how people should react and respond to the officer's actions. Furthermore, even if they DID know, it still wouldn't justify them acting as an executioner and deciding to shoot him instead of continuing to try and de-escalate. The man was shot seven times, IN THE BACK.

What happened to the concept of police officers using their guns as a last resort? When their lives or those around them are in IMMEDIATE danger. Why are we so quick to now just write off any murder so long as the person, especially if it's an officer, just FELT threatened.

We need to bring back standards of expectations and hold people accountable to those standards. Being an officer is a tough job. It's a demanding job. It's a dangerous job. We demand WAY too much of police officers. But that doesn't mean we should bend over backwards to look past their inappropriate actions and mistakes, or let them open fire on any civilian that resists, or fights back (without endangering their lives). Cops are trained to deal with this stuff. And if they're not trained well enough, we should train them better. We need to change the priorities and how we look at these incidents.

People are not asking for that much. They're actually asking for pretty reasonable actions, and I happen to think that if we saw ANY kind of leadership from the federal government (Congress and/or the President) to actually address this instead of ignoring it and chalking i up to "the radical left" and "antifa" we'd actually see things quiet down pretty quickly. People more than anything just want to know that our leaders are TRYING. And right now, it looks like they're just ignoring the problem or using it for political ads (BOTH sides).

I'm not condoning what happened just laying out some facts.

Yes the police officers knew who he was and that was the main reason why they were going to the house. He wasn't there breaking up a fight like the media mentioned. The GF called the police and said he wasn't supposed to be there, when she asked him to leave he took her keys and walked out. Police were there to arrest him for his open warrant.

He was shot 7 times (shouldn't have happened) because he resisted arrest walked back to a car (was asked to stop multiple time) and opened the door and reached for something.

Cancel the NBA let the players and others go back and meet with the local government and start working on plans.

Lets see why it's second nature to resist arrest
Let's see what we can do to improve police training
Let's see how we can better the inner city communities and educate support and grow
Let's also stop acting as if there's just 1 problem.

Enough is Enough

It appears he was also armed with a knife after resisting arrest and being tasered. You can hear police order him to "drop the knife" as he was walking around his car and the person who recorded the video reportedly confirmed they heard it as well. Last night it was confirmed a knife was found on the driver's side floorboard.

I'm not sure what police are supposed to do in a situation like that... dude had a felony arrest warrant for sexual assault and domestic abuse that happened at that same address, he resisted arrest and taser, pulled a knife as he attempted to flee and access his car with children inside. Is a cop supposed to wrestle with him? Let him go?

Don't let him go, obviously. But let's say it was as dire as you say, the cop is afraid that he's either a) going to try and use a weapon from his car to fight back, or b) get in the car and flee with children in the car.

So first, the cop should see the weapon in question. If he sees the man pulling a gun out of his car, I could understand shooting him to prevent the man using the gun on himself, the children, the officers, or an innocent bystander. There's so many variables in that situation that it would be VERY understandable why the cop would fire. Especially given that they've tried to arrest him already, tased him, etc.

However, in this scenario, it's a knife. So once the cop sees the knife, a very short range weapon. he should continue to try and de-escalate the situation. Officers are trained to deal with hostile people with weapons. Again, try and get the man to put the weapon down. Do not fire unless he goes after someone with it. If he's just telling you to stay back and waving it in front of him, still. DO NOT SHOOT. If he comes after you, then it becomes understandable and reasonable to fire. He's threatening to stab you. You could try and work with your partner to wrestle it away from him and pin him to the ground. We've seen that before. But I'd at least understand in this scenario taking a more drastic measure.

However, Blake did not, as far as I know, actually brandish the weapon. They found it on the floor of his car afterwards, we're presuming he dropped it when he was shot in the back seven times.

And all this comes back to also firing SEVEN times in the man's BACK. Could they not have shot him once in the leg? A couple times in the legs? Why in the back? It's hard to argue that he was a threat to someone immediately when he wasn't facing anyone. Even if you shoot him in the back, seven times? Really? You needed seven shots to take the guy down?

Look. I get it. The man wasn't being cooperative. He may have had a knife. But it's mind boggling that we've gone from expecting our cops to use their guns as a last resort to arguing that it's ok for them to shoot a man seven times in the back because he has a knife and he's resisting.
thelead
RealGM

Post#192 » by thelead » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:18 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
thelead wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

He's not wrong though.

The quotes don't go far enough back, but my initial post was suggesting that one tangible thing that could happen is teams could boycott playing in certain states until they pass X legislation. Maybe something like 50%+ of Campaign Zero policies are implemented?

Most states already have legislation along these lines rolling but the NBA could help push that.

They could also set up funding tunnels for that legislation and match donations since a lot of arguments against Campaign Zero are funding-based.

Just looked up campaign zero... nope on the very first policy change from me (broken window policing). They want to decriminalize consumption of alcohol on streets, disorderly conduct, allow for trespassing, loitering, disturbing the peace and prostitution... The other half of that list is good (marijuana possession, spitting, jaywalking, bicycling on the sidewalk) but I can't imagine the craziness out in the streets, in broad daylight, if those things are decriminalized (the first list I mentioned). I then have to deal with random people deciding to live on my lawn because there are no trespassing laws? GTFO with that.

Community oversight is a joke. Which civilians are overseeing things? If it's a routine job for a 'civilian' doesn't that eventually make them a cop essentially?

Community representation is also a joke. As a minority, the people in my circle look at a police force job as dangerous and not worth the money/risk. That is the main reason community representation is low.

Don't have time to dig through the rest but the rest looks decent enough.

I get that it's a start but we can't just say 'decriminalize EVERYTHING' that isn't violent.

A. That won't solve the problem
B. It'll lead to bigger issues

The real key is to have better standards for hiring cops and then harshly punishing them when they step out of line.

Educating our society (notice I didn't just say 'youth') is also key.

Finally, we need to develop some sort of value system outside of religion since religion is on the decline. Not enough people are taught to care about each other. Everyone is looking out only for themselves and maybe their family and close friends. Everyone else couldn't matter less to most.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#193 » by Bakomagic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:21 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:
thelead wrote:
He's not wrong though.

The laughing emoji is such a douche move, but in hopes of having a real conversation I’ll ask you if you truly believe that nothing they are doing really matters ?
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#194 » by MagicMatic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:03 pm

Bakomagic wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:

The laughing emoji is such a douche move, but in hopes of having a real conversation I’ll ask you if you truly believe that nothing they are doing really matters ?

I’m sorry the laughing emoji offended you.

No, I don’t believe entertainers are going to change anything through these actions. I think it’s a good PR move for the NBA and their fan base.

Do you believe protest from highly paid entertainers (athletes, actors, etc) should be where we start taking cues on policy reform on these matters?

They don’t even know what they are asking for. They are doing this because they feel emotionally connected to circumstances out of their, or anyone’s, control and it comes off as pouting. Laws won’t be passed because Kawhi Leonard disagrees with the specific actions of Individuals on an anecdotal basis.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Post#195 » by cedric76 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Going on strike when people kill cops (real heroes) would be a huge step in the right way

Nothing happened when a retired black police officer who was murdered by rioters for defending a small business.

People have been brainwashed, this is sad

Nba players turning scumbags into martyrs is just pure nonsense
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,097

Post#196 » by tiderulz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:43 pm

jezzerinho wrote:

You seem to be suggesting that the US police forces hold themselves to the same standards as the scumbags who they shoot multiple times or asphyxiate.

The police are there to uphold the law against the scumbags, rapists and also those who commit very minor offenses, regardless of colour.

In doing so, they have to adhere to some kind of semblance of legal behaviour themselves. There are very few circumstances that warrant shooting a guy, regardless of colour or his crime, seven times in the back.

You can support police forces, hate rapists and still protest for change without one ounce of hypocrisy. It just requires police restraint and -preferably - a large dose of gun control to make police forces' jobs easier.

exactly. Blake wasnt an angel by any means. And he was shot 7 times in the back. one shot wasnt enough? or a taser? tackle to the ground? meanwhile Rittenhouse killed 2 people and was given water by the police and picked up the next day. Dylan Roof shot up a black church trying to start a race war. after being arrested, he was taken to burger king for food.
and then when the black community listens to police and their instructions, this happens. Man in GA was mistaken for another. was talking to police officer, providing his ID and was tackled from behind and had his wrist broken. you can tell at the end of the video the cop realized he screwed up. Why did he feel the need to use instant force when everything was calm?

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,097

Post#197 » by tiderulz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:45 pm

thelead wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

He's not wrong though.

if you impact billionaires and billion dollar business, you stand a better chance or getting heard or starting the ball moving towards change
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#198 » by RookieStar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:50 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:it seems like Lebron had change of pockets.... oh i mean heart over night.
That late nike Nike calls are the worst :rofl:

It makes sense that they'll finish this playoffs no matter what - they've already made it this far. I'm guessing there will be some hold out or demands before starting next season (whatever that looks like with COVID). No reason to assume Nike threatened LeBron.

Yup.. why does Nike need threats when chairman Mao already called lbj to "shut up and dribble"
thelead
RealGM

Post#200 » by thelead » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:
thelead wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

He's not wrong though.

if you impact billionaires and billion dollar business, you stand a better chance or getting heard or starting the ball moving towards change

I don't disagree. But once you have their attention, what is the actual plan?

Return to Orlando Magic