ImageImageImageImageImage

Andrew Wiggins one of Warriors' 'core four' players, Bob Myers says

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Andrew Wiggins one of Warriors' 'core four' players, Bob Myers says 

Post#1 » by Little Digger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:08 pm

But the presence of the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft does not result in the Warriors having a "core four," right?

Wrong, according to general manager Bob Myers.

"We're gonna go into this in-market bubble in a few weeks and watch what our core-four guys look like -- and I'm putting Wiggins in there," he told The Athletic's Tim Kawakami on Wednesday. "What does that even look like? Nobody has seen it. I haven't seen it, you haven't seen it, no coach has seen it, players haven't felt it.

"So in order to kind of move forward, we need to evaluate what we have -- and evaluate what that is. I'd be lying if I knew what it was. I have ideas of what it might be ... we need to see it, and that's why I'm excited about the weeks in September and early October to see some of it.

"The reason that's relevant is that's gonna give us a better sense of our team, and what we have and what that core looks like."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/andrew-wiggins-one-warriors-core-four-players-bob-myers-says?amp&__twitter_impression=true
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Re: Andrew Wiggins one of Warriors' 'core four' players, Bob Myers says 

Post#2 » by Little Digger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:10 pm

Maybe we’ll get to actually watch these bubble scrimmages? I’d love to see the core four playing together
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#3 » by The Maestro » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:21 pm

Myers and Kerr have been in the news hyping Wiggins. Adams too. Maybe they’re being genuine but I’m not so sure.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Little Digger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:30 pm

The Maestro wrote:Myers and Kerr have been in the news hyping Wiggins. Adams too. Maybe they’re being genuine but I’m not so sure.
no it’s a conspiracy ..Draymond and Steph are in on it to since they’ve also been hyped about Wiggins play ..That’s how the Warriors roll..Theyve got a horrible reputation around the association of dishonesty towards their own players
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#5 » by Old_Blue » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:44 pm

I wish Wiggins would somehow miraculously morph into a decent player. But, reality is that he's routinely listed as one of the most overpaid and underperforming players in the league. His real value lies in being a placeholder - A big contract necessary to include with draft picks in order to acquire a similarly big contract, albeit one attached to a player who's actually worth that money. However much the Warriors try to hype Wiggins, it's going to be a tough sell. He's still owed almost $95 million for the last three years on his deal. None of these factors would enter into the discussion of a true "core player."
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Little Digger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:52 pm

God I hate basketball message boards sometimes ..why do I do it lol..I need a life
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,697

Post#7 » by whatisacenter » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:49 pm

Bob is right, Wiggins is part of the core 4, based on salary alone, and nobody has seen it and nobody can say with certainty what it will look like. I'm looking forward to finding out and I will give Wiggins a clean slate with our squad.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#8 » by Onus » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:05 pm

Steph never makes players better therefore Wiggins won’t improve playing with him
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#9 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:02 am

Little Digger wrote:God I hate basketball message boards sometimes ..why do I do it lol..I need a life

The non-message boards (twitter/reddit) are even worse.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#10 » by Mylie10 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Old_Blue wrote:I wish Wiggins would somehow miraculously morph into a decent player. But, reality is that he's routinely listed as one of the most overpaid and underperforming players in the league. His real value lies in being a placeholder - A big contract necessary to include with draft picks in order to acquire a similarly big contract, albeit one attached to a player who's actually worth that money. However much the Warriors try to hype Wiggins, it's going to be a tough sell. He's still owed almost $95 million for the last three years on his deal. None of these factors would enter into the discussion of a true "core player."

Decent Player? - Points 22, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block, and 1 steal per game pretrade to the Warriors.

That’s pretty decent. Shot over 50% from 2, which points to being a good finisher. His 3 point % is weak, but hopefully he will take better threes playing with Steph and Klay who garner so much attention.

I get the complaints but he doesn’t have to be the first or second option, more third or fourth. He doesn’t have the weight of the franchise on his shoulders any more. He’s merely a guy. If Klay ever had a franchise hoisted on his shoulders he would have some similar issues I believe. It’s not their makeup. I’m not comparing him to Klay either, merely making a point.

We know the money doesn’t justify the output, but for our team he’s maintaining a large salary slot for future purposes. They may try to trade him, but not for peanuts and not to just get rid of him, as so many want to believe.

Imo they will play out this first half of the season with Wiggins and prove to the league that he’s not some sort of cancer as a player. They will show that he can be a piece of a winning team. He is versatile with his length and offensive prowess, just need him to play solid defense and take open looks and good shots. No longer needs to carry an offense or a franchise.

Take Wiseman, and play Wiggins. Then reevaluate at next seasons trade deadline to see what’s needed, or what might pop up.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#11 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:33 pm

Little Digger wrote:Maybe we’ll get to actually watch these bubble scrimmages? I’d love to see the core four playing together

How can we make this happen?

Maestro, get on the phone with your contact and see if he can get a realgm "core four" in to watch the bubble scrimmages.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#12 » by Samurai » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:41 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:I wish Wiggins would somehow miraculously morph into a decent player. But, reality is that he's routinely listed as one of the most overpaid and underperforming players in the league. His real value lies in being a placeholder - A big contract necessary to include with draft picks in order to acquire a similarly big contract, albeit one attached to a player who's actually worth that money. However much the Warriors try to hype Wiggins, it's going to be a tough sell. He's still owed almost $95 million for the last three years on his deal. None of these factors would enter into the discussion of a true "core player."

Decent Player? - Points 22, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block, and 1 steal per game pretrade to the Warriors.

That’s pretty decent. Shot over 50% from 2, which points to being a good finisher. His 3 point % is weak, but hopefully he will take better threes playing with Steph and Klay who garner so much attention.

I get the complaints but he doesn’t have to be the first or second option, more third or fourth. He doesn’t have the weight of the franchise on his shoulders any more. He’s merely a guy. If Klay ever had a franchise hoisted on his shoulders he would have some similar issues I believe. It’s not their makeup. I’m not comparing him to Klay either, merely making a point.

We know the money doesn’t justify the output, but for our team he’s maintaining a large salary slot for future purposes. They may try to trade him, but not for peanuts and not to just get rid of him, as so many want to believe.

Imo they will play out this first half of the season with Wiggins and prove to the league that he’s not some sort of cancer as a player. They will show that he can be a piece of a winning team. He is versatile with his length and offensive prowess, just need him to play solid defense and take open looks and good shots. No longer needs to carry an offense or a franchise.

Take Wiseman, and play Wiggins. Then reevaluate at next seasons trade deadline to see what’s needed, or what might pop up.

Yeah, I don't get the Wiggins hate. His stats certainly show him to be better than just a "decent" player and he also flashed some pretty solid defense in his short time with the Dubs. He does need to improve his outside shot but he apparently has been working on his 3-pointer this off season and there is a clip showing him hitting 20+ 3's in a row during one of his practice sessions. Yes, practice is different than game competition but you have to develop the stroke and rhythm through repetition before they can translate into game conditions.

If the "core four" looks impressive to Myers and Kerr, maybe that convinces them to keep Wiggins and draft Wiseman, which is my hope. Playing next to Draymond and getting coached-up by Adams would be a fantastic way for Wiseman to improve his defensive awareness. And his ability to slam lobs around the rim would make him an ideal finisher for Dray and Steph on their drives to the cup. And if Wiseman can actually extend his midrange jumper out to the 3-point line, which he is working on, he could be an ideal missing link to make it a "core five".
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:50 pm

I find it generally amazing when people say a starting NBA player is "useless" or "garbage". Evaluating a player is different than evaluating their cost to the team for me.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#14 » by marthafokker » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:17 pm

IMO Tobias Harris is even more garbage than Wiggins. Cost more than Wiggins and longer contract. And can't lift his team in the playoffs being the most expensive on the team.

Wiggins has not played with GSW yet with the core. So his garbage label should be lifted until he shows otherwise. Does he have value now? No, but he has more value in GSW until he proof otherwise... Even more than Harris.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#15 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:27 pm

I think Andrew will be fine. We won the West last year with 35 year old Igoudola on his last legs starting who was never a great shooter. We also won the West in 2015-2016 with Barnes. Wiggins is not some doom and gloom player. We still have the #2 pick, TPE, and MLE to add. We wouldn’t be big free agent players even if Wiggins was a discount guy, so as fans who cares?

Didn’t we roll teams with this guy starting in place of KD?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#16 » by likashing » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 pm

People don't realize Wiggins is the best SF we have had around Steph since KD and Iguodala.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#17 » by B-King » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Talking up Wiggins helps with Andrew's confidence and his trade value. Nothing wrong with accomplishing both.

His contract was atrocious when he signed it given that his numbers weren't all that great. Not his fault Minnesota really sucked and needed him to stick around to look less pathetic. Over time his contract is no longer in the top 10 of worst contracts in the NBA.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#18 » by CS707 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:24 am

So what is this bubble... like a summer league or something? Pretty cool the league/union is letting teams get together formally like that so they can get a better idea of where they stand.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:05 pm

marthafokker wrote:IMO Tobias Harris is even more garbage than Wiggins. Cost more than Wiggins and longer contract. And can't lift his team in the playoffs being the most expensive on the team.

Wiggins has not played with GSW yet with the core. So his garbage label should be lifted until he shows otherwise. Does he have value now? No, but he has more value in GSW until he proof otherwise... Even more than Harris.

Those evaluations are more about their contracts than the player, but it's phrased like it's the player that is "garbage". Both players are fine, their contracts are garbage.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:14 pm

I'll also never understand why people care about how much money it costs ownership. Once the team is over the cap being a little or a lot more over the cap doesn't really matter to me. Wiggins primary value is that he is a mechanism for getting around the cap. When people talk about getting rid of him because of his contract they completely miss the point that it's that large contract that is his biggest asset.

Return to Golden State Warriors