ImageImageImageImage

2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#201 » by Bensational » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:04 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:
thelead wrote:
He's not wrong though.

A goal without a plan is just a wish.

WHAT IS THE PLAN? HOW DO YOU END POLICE BRUTALITY?

I outlined a few things that I think need to happen but you won't hear a real plan from anyone in the NBA or other sports league.

Big things are definitely happening and the NBA may be at the forefront of change.

:lol:

Ah yes. The nba . Where we all look to for change in national policy.

As opposed to watching reality television to scout for future presidents?
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,662

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#202 » by MagicMatic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 pm

Bensational wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:
Big things are definitely happening and the NBA may be at the forefront of change.

:lol:

Ah yes. The nba . Where we all look to for change in national policy.

As opposed to watching reality television to scout for future presidents?

How are things going in Australia? :lol:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#203 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:18 pm

cedric76 wrote:If you're a rapist black criminal who was shot by the police the NBA players will stop all games for you.

If you're a retired black police officer who was murdered by rioters for defending a small business they won't bat an eye.

I love double standards
If your black an unarmed the police will shoot you 7 times in the back. If you just shot 2 people with a rifle and your white the police won't even stop to talk with you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#204 » by Furinkazan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:38 pm

basketballRob wrote:
cedric76 wrote:If you're a rapist black criminal who was shot by the police the NBA players will stop all games for you.

If you're a retired black police officer who was murdered by rioters for defending a small business they won't bat an eye.

I love double standards
If your black an unarmed the police will shoot you 7 times in the back. If you just shot 2 people with a rifle and your white the police won't even stop to talk with you.

Maybe just maybe because he surrendered and police didn’t know wtf is going on.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#205 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 pm

I think part of why I've never taken issue with the kneeling during the anthem or any athlete speaking on political/social issues (outside of it being in their right to do so), is I've just never found much value in what they have to say when it comes to these sort of things. That doesn't mean there isn't any, or that that they should "shut up and dribble", but on the whole, I just choose not to look to far removed multi-million dollar athletes for advice on who I should vote for or how I should feel about a certain political or social issue.

I treat celebrities and musicians the same way. I've never gotten into the celebrity/athlete worship. I separate the art from the artist and recognize that I listen to Kanye or another artist because of the art they produce not because of how the artist themselves feels about something politically or socially. That's why I've never subscribed to the boycott culture where people will stop listening or watching a certain artist or celebrity because they took a stance on something they didn't agree with because at the end of the day, I wasn't a fan of that celebrity, or artist, or athlete for those reasons, I was a fan because of the art they produced.

One thing I will credit them for tho, is it does get people talking and it does bring awareness to certain pressing issues in this country whether someone agrees with what is being said or not. I think that is where the value lies. It gets people at the ground level to discuss these issues and encourages them to have discourse and see other perspectives but it's those perspectives and opinions I will always value over an athlete or celebrities.

Some take issue with viewing the world through those lenses, but that's just how I see it. So much of what I see from these big cooperations and multi-million-dollar athletes/celebrities is just performative activism to begin with. Here is an example. The hypocrisy is also on full display with how the NBA and players decided to handle the Hong Kong situation. So while I'm glad that it's encouraging debate/discussion, I don't really value or take seriously anything said by the athletes or the NBA themselves.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#206 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Furinkazan wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

I love double standards

It was illegal to even carry a rifle in Wisconsin. Don't tell me you don't think the police might of shot him if he was black? Can you imagine a black guy approaching the police with an illegal open carry rifle?

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#207 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 pm

basketballRob wrote:

I love double standards

The Wisconsin Dept. of Justice revealed new details from its investigation into the shooting of Jacob Blake by a Kenosha police officer, including that Blake had told officers he had a knife in his possession.

Unarmed?
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#208 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:47 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

I love double standards

The Wisconsin Dept. of Justice revealed new details from its investigation into the shooting of Jacob Blake by a Kenosha police officer, including that Blake had told officers he had a knife in his possession.

Unarmed?
Yes apparently the knife was in the vehicle and he was unarmed.

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#209 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I really wish all (even half) of these snowflakes saying they are done with the NBA because their privileged little minds can’t understand what this is about would actually follow through with it and be done ... sadly, they will be back tomorrow.

You seem very accepting of different viewpoints. I wish I could be as accepting as you.

That is nice of you to say but you don’t have to settle for being envious of me or those of us who are morally superior to you. You could simply be a better person ...

Ah, so you're better than me. It comes out now. Sorry for disappointing you, oh great grandstanding, virtue signaling, One.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#210 » by RookieStar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:48 pm

basketballRob wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If your black an unarmed the police will shoot you 7 times in the back. If you just shot 2 people with a rifle and your white the police won't even stop to talk with you.

Unarmed?

I'm a little uncertain, where I'm from I obviously don't get to see the massive amount of news coverage about this but the few media clips I have seen shows that he had something in his person ( confused if it was was tuck in his waist band or hand ) and it was heard " drop the knife " plus eye-witnesses interviews claimed it.

Was that refuted or debunked as false? I obviously saw these clips I think a day or 2 ago
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#211 » by jezzerinho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:It never ceases to amaze me the kinds of scumbags who end up being martyred for the anti-police movement. Floyd was a guy who threatened to shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach and Blake is wanted for sexual assault. Real stand up guys.

You seem to be suggesting that the US police forces hold themselves to the same standards as the scumbags who they shoot multiple times or asphyxiate.

The police are there to uphold the law against the scumbags, rapists and also those who commit very minor offenses, regardless of colour.

In doing so, they have to adhere to some kind of semblance of legal behaviour themselves. There are very few circumstances that warrant shooting a guy, regardless of colour or his crime, seven times in the back.

You can support police forces, hate rapists and still protest for change without one ounce of hypocrisy. It just requires police restraint and -preferably - a large dose of gun control to make police forces' jobs easier.

exactly. Blake wasnt an angel by any means. And he was shot 7 times in the back. one shot wasnt enough? or a taser? tackle to the ground? meanwhile Rittenhouse killed 2 people and was given water by the police and picked up the next day. Dylan Roof shot up a black church trying to start a race war. after being arrested, he was taken to burger king for food.
and then when the black community listens to police and their instructions, this happens. Man in GA was mistaken for another. was talking to police officer, providing his ID and was tackled from behind and had his wrist broken. you can tell at the end of the video the cop realized he screwed up. Why did he feel the need to use instant force when everything was calm?

When you read people on here actually arguing against the police exercising a sufficient amount of restraint to keep them within the law they are out there upholding, you realise that it's a much more complex issue than it appears.

When the evidence shows the police show proportionally more restraint when faced with a "threat" from one community than from another, but yet some people would like to see that bias continue, you realise the complex issue is really something worse.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#212 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 pm

RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

Unarmed?

I'm a little uncertain, where I'm from I obviously don't get to see the massive amount of news coverage about this but the few media clips I have seen shows that he had something in his person ( confused if it was was tuck in his waist band or hand ) and it was heard " drop the knife " plus eye-witnesses interviews claimed it.

Was that refuted or debunked as false? I obviously saw these clips I think a day or 2 ago
Yes

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#213 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Good to see *unified* actionable requests.

Boycotting games gets people talking but so far this is very disorganized. What do these NBA players want from this?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#214 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:33 am

basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Yes apparently the knife was in the vehicle and he was unarmed.

Yes

Ok, I'll take your word for it. Although just so you know, there are articles where the Wis Justice dept or whatever its equivalent said the the guy admitted to them that he had a knife in his possession.

Then again, in these times who can be sure about news.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#215 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 am

RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Yes

Ok, I'll take your word for it. Although just so you know, there are articles where the Wis Justice dept or whatever its equivalent said the the guy admitted to them that he had a knife in his possession.

I’d believe the DOJ whose job it is to gather information honestly. If it was debunked there’d be information out about it.

Blake was leaning into his vehicle where investigators say they later found a knife. Blake told authorities that he had a knife, DOJ said. It's not clear when Blake said he had the knife.

Call me crazy but most people don’t just drive with knives laying on the driver side floorboard. They’re usually in glovebox or side area of the door.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Post#216 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:57 am

So game will be Saturday now?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#217 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:03 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Yes

I’d believe the DOJ whose job it is to gather information honestly. If it was debunked there’d be information out about it.

Blake was leaning into his vehicle where investigators say they later found a knife. Blake told authorities that he had a knife, DOJ said. It's not clear when Blake said he had the knife.

Call me crazy but most people don’t just drive with knives laying on the driver side floorboard. They’re usually in glovebox or side area of the door.

YEAH plus there was a video of him with *something* then again it wasnt clear so there is room for doubt on what it was.

And yes again that DOJ did confirm it but in these times of fake news from all sides.. just wanna hear from all. I myself am starting to lean on the he had a knife on him as well though.

Edit : but if there are clearer videos or new evidemce claiming that he didnt have a knife on him then ill happily change my leanings towards this fact.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#218 » by Furinkazan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:34 am

basketballRob wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If your black an unarmed the police will shoot you 7 times in the back. If you just shot 2 people with a rifle and your white the police won't even stop to talk with you.

It was illegal to even carry a rifle in Wisconsin. Don't tell me you don't think the police might of shot him if he was black? Can you imagine a black guy approaching the police with an illegal open carry rifle?

Yeah he surely wouldn’t surrender .I can’t imagine that.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#219 » by OrlandO » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:51 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:

Wisconsin is an open carry state, rifles included.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,152

Post#220 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 pm

OrlandO wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:Maybe just maybe because he surrendered and police didn’t know wtf is going on.

Wisconsin is an open carry state, rifles included.

Does that matter when the person carrying the gun was from out of state? And being 17 years old - seems to be younger than the minimum age to purchase (18 and 21) in Illinois and Wisconsin, respectively. Genuinely curious.

Return to Orlando Magic