ImageImageImageImage

2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,293

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#221 » by pepe1991 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:30 pm

kid running with rifle, people running to attack him, him shooting them down... If it's in video game i would say it's stupid and not grounded in reality.
What a hell is going on?

What type of drugs you have to be on to charge into somebody with freaking gun ?

Why would you do that ? What a hell you thought will happen? Some people watch too many John Wick movies
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,293

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#222 » by pepe1991 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:35 pm

Can't help but wonder how easly would it be for Stalin and Hitler to use media to brainwash new generation via social media into WW3.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,706

Post#223 » by thelead » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:24 pm

pepe1991 wrote:kid running with rifle, people running to attack him, him shooting them down... If it's in video game i would say it's stupid and not grounded in reality.
What a hell is going on?

What type of drugs you have to be on to charge into somebody with freaking gun ?

Why would you do that ? What a hell you thought will happen? Some people watch too many John Wick movies

I bet you one of his teachers knew he was crazy and capable of doing it but in the US, if a teacher says something like that about a student they would be fired :banghead:

You can 'recommend' a child for evaluation but you can't be specific and they need a LONG record AND people willing to do something about it to get the child help. Most children then go unchecked into society.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#224 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:39 pm

pepe1991 wrote:kid running with rifle, people running to attack him, him shooting them down... If it's in video game i would say it's stupid and not grounded in reality.
What a hell is going on?

From what I've read (I'm not going to watch the videos), the order of events happened like this:

1. Kid/armed militia antagonizes rioters
2. Rioters antagonize back
3. Kid shoots and kills 1 rioter
4. Rioters charge kid to disarm
5. Kid shoots 2 more people (1 who attacked him with skateboard, 1 who attacked with a handgun)
6. Kid walks away past officers and goes home
7. Kid arrested next day

Also - probably not cool to speak that way of people who just died man.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#225 » by zaymon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:23 pm

I wonder how many people killed by US police were not criminals?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#226 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:29 pm

zaymon wrote:I wonder how many people killed by US police were not criminals?

You mean like active warrants? Or criminal history?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#227 » by zaymon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:42 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:

Maybe more like actively resisting police and being known to them from before or from the call itself.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#228 » by MagicMatic » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:03 pm

zaymon wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Maybe more like actively resisting police and being known to them from before or from the call itself.

I’ll do you one better.

I wonder how many of these cases didn’t involve active criminals, putting officers lives at risk, or actively resisting arrest. How many of those shootings exist that we hear about?

Because I would assume from the media none of that matters or has any context to the events that unfold.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#229 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:12 pm

OrlandO wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:Maybe just maybe because he surrendered and police didn’t know wtf is going on.
It was illegal to even carry a rifle in Wisconsin. Don't tell me you don't think the police might of shot him if he was black? Can you imagine a black guy approaching the police with an illegal open carry rifle?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Wisconsin is an open carry state, rifles included.
Not if you're a minor.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#230 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm

What a hell is going on?

He'd already shot someone prior to that. They were trying to disarm him.

Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#231 » by Popsicle1228 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:23 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
What a hell is going on?

From what I've read (I'm not going to watch the videos), the order of events happened like this:

5. Kid shoots 2 more people (1 who attacked him with skateboard, 1 who attacked with a handgun)
7. Kid arrested next day

1. Probably true as I feel just the single act of openly carrying an assault weapon would antagonize most anybody. There is video of him saying that he came to protect businesses with lethal force if necessary.
2. True as there is video of the first victim yelling at the kid and saying "shoot me n-word" multiple times.
3. There is video of the first victim chasing the armed kid and as he tries to grab him the kid turns and shoots him in the head and 3 additional times.
4. The kid walks over to the dead or dying victim and immediately calls the police to report what happened. Then hangs up abruptly when others begin to chase him. This is also on video.
5. Kid shoots 2 more people exactly how you described.
6. Video of Kid walking next to first response vehicles with his hands in the air as they blow past him to get to the scene where the incident took place.
7. Kid arrested as you stated.

He is not breaking the law with respect to open carry in Wisconsin, but I am not sure if he was breaking the law or not with respect to his age and carrying. Nevertheless, if we are using only the video, it will be difficult for murder charges to stick because it appears he is acting in self-defense in all 3 cases. In all, my take is that he should not have been out there with an assault weapon strapped to his body. The act openly carrying an assault weapon is asking for trouble and he either found trouble that night or trouble found him. I also think it was incredibly stupid for others to attempt to attack him while he was carrying a gun. Especially after witnessing what happened to the first victim.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#232 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Can't help but wonder how easly would it be for Stalin and Hitler to use media to brainwash new generation via social media into WW3.

I don't know about a World war, but it sure feels like we are at a turning point of sorts here in the states right now. With how racially charged and divided this country is, I could absolutely see things come to a head depending on how things go in November.

If Trump gets re-elected I'm expecting absolute hell to break loose.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#233 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:27 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Can't help but wonder how easly would it be for Stalin and Hitler to use media to brainwash new generation via social media into WW3.

I'm not sure about a World war, but it sure feels like we are at a turning point of sorts here in the states right now. With how racially charged and divided this country is, I could absolutely see things come to a head depending on how things go in November.

I'm expecting it either way. If Biden wins I don't think Trump will leave - he's already claiming voter fraud and he'll have to "wait and see" if he'll accept the results.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#234 » by OrlandO » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:27 pm

basketballRob wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
basketballRob wrote:It was illegal to even carry a rifle in Wisconsin. Don't tell me you don't think the police might of shot him if he was black? Can you imagine a black guy approaching the police with an illegal open carry rifle?

Not if you're a minor.

Doesn't really matter for the point you were trying to make... cops aren't checking IDs during rioting/protesting. Cops likely thought that kid was a protester exercising legal rights and just putting his hands up to show he's not a threat.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#235 » by OrlandO » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:28 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
basketballRob wrote:It was illegal to even carry a rifle in Wisconsin. Don't tell me you don't think the police might of shot him if he was black? Can you imagine a black guy approaching the police with an illegal open carry rifle?

Does that matter when the person carrying the gun was from out of state? And being 17 years old - seems to be younger than the minimum age to purchase (18 and 21) in Illinois and Wisconsin, respectively. Genuinely curious.

Not a gun owner and gun laws/rights are confusing, so I don't know how it's going to play out in court. His lawyer is claiming the gun belongs to a friend in wisconsin and I believe WI allows carrying without a license/permit. He'll get hit with a misdemeanor for being underage. I'm not sure if being underage voids a self defense claim.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#236 » by MagicMatic » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:33 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

I don't know about a World war, but it sure feels like we are at a turning point of sorts here in the states right now. With how racially charged and divided this country is, I could absolutely see things come to a head depending on how things go in November.

If I had to guess...

Trump will get re-elected and there will be more rioting and protests. People were doing it after he initially took office, before protesting and violent rioting was standardized.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#237 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Popsicle1228 wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
What a hell is going on?

7. Kid arrested next day

1. Probably true as I feel just the single act of openly carrying an assault weapon would antagonize most anybody. There is video of him saying that he came to protect businesses with lethal force if necessary.
2. True as there is video of the first victim yelling at the kid and saying "shoot me n-word" multiple times.
3. There is video of the first victim chasing the armed kid and as he tries to grab him the kid turns and shoots him in the head and 3 additional times.
4. The kid walks over to the dead or dying victim and immediately calls the police to report what happened. Then hangs up abruptly when others begin to chase him. This is also on video.
6. Video of Kid walking next to first response vehicles with his hands in the air as they blow past him to get to the scene where the incident took place.

He is not breaking the law with respect to open carry in Wisconsin, but I am not sure if he was breaking the law or not with respect to his age and carrying. Nevertheless, if we are using only the video, it will be difficult for murder charges to stick because it appears he is acting in self-defense in all 3 cases. In all, my take is that he should not have been out there with an assault weapon strapped to his body. The act openly carrying an assault weapon is asking for trouble and he either found trouble that night or trouble found him. I also think it was incredibly stupid for others to attempt to attack him while he was carrying a gun. Especially after witnessing what happened to the first victim.

Thanks for the follow-up, especially since it sounds like you watched the videos. I'm from Wisconsin and lived in Milwaukee for 4-5 years so it's pretty close to me - just can't watch it. I've been reading friends' first-hand accounts of being there for my data.

It sounds like the armed militia were pointing their weapons at the rioters and pretending to shoot pretty early on. I have a friend who was part of the peaceful protesting who parked neared the armed militia (before the militia was present) and while he was walking back to his car to leave the militia pointed their guns at him as he walked on the sidewalk and pretended to shoot him.

So, yeah, I don't know who antagonized who first - but pointing loaded assault weapons at civilians who aren't being violent towards people and pretending to shoot seems like more than just antagonizing and would spark self-defense responses in many people (fight or flight). My friend is fine but who knows what would've happened had he shown even a tad bit of aggression at them while they were pointing their weapons at him.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#238 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:36 pm

We are gonna need a new thread that's basketball related
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#239 » by Popsicle1228 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:42 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:

If I had to guess...

Trump will get re-elected and there will be more rioting and protests. People were doing it after he initially took office, before protesting and violent rioting was standardized.

As of August 28th, 2020 I believe this is what is going to happen. On election night in 2016 I stayed working in my downtown office until the a little after midnight. I will be at home with my family in 2020 as I do not think it is a wise decision in the current climate to repeat said behavior.

I am not a gun person by any means but just made a more substantial purchase to ensure my families protection after the election. I hate spending money on guns and it angers me that I even feel compelled to buy them. However, with things trending in a generally poor direction in this country, I feel it would be irresponsible as a husband and parent to not be prepared.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,006

Post#240 » by Ducklett » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:56 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
Popsicle1228 wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

7. Kid arrested next day

Thanks for the follow-up, especially since it sounds like you watched the videos. I'm from Wisconsin and lived in Milwaukee for 4-5 years so it's pretty close to me - just can't watch it. I've been reading friends' first-hand accounts of being there for my data.

It sounds like the armed militia were pointing their weapons at the rioters and pretending to shoot pretty early on. I have a friend who was part of the peaceful protesting who parked neared the armed militia (before the militia was present) and while he was walking back to his car to leave the militia pointed their guns at him as he walked on the sidewalk and pretended to shoot him.

So, yeah, I don't know who antagonized who first - but pointing loaded assault weapons at civilians who aren't being violent towards people and pretending to shoot seems like more than just antagonizing and would spark self-defense responses in many people (fight or flight). My friend is fine but who knows what would've happened had he shown even a tad bit of aggression at them while they were pointing their weapons at him.

Based on witness testimony and footage that was turned over to the authorities, the shooting originally started when rioters grabbed at the kid's gun and when it happened a second time and an individual got his hands on the gun, he panicked and that's when all the video started that we have seen.

Also, the police told him to start heading towards their location (which is why he was walking to them) because of all the people blocking roadways, it was difficult for them to get there. This is why you see the cops know who he is when they approach him because he was ordered to be there.

The only thing I haven't seen answered or explained is the extra shooting when he was being assaulted in the street. It wasn't him and it was seemingly off in the distance.

Return to Orlando Magic