ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#741 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:51 pm

azuresou1 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
King Ken wrote:Exactly. I understand why people want to trade with us, our assets but there is a reason we don't want to trade with you, we aren't moving them

You guys are strong in young Small forwards IMO. If you traded Hunter or Reddish IMO you would barely notice they were gone. If you added Edwards I think you would very much notice he was there. Of all the trade rumors being floated around the internet by the national pundits the most commonly heard one is Reddish or Hunter and #6 for #1. If that doesn't work for your management then no deal will be made between our teams.

If my Wolves stand Pat I want Wiseman, but I wouldn't complain much if we took Edwards. The problem is he competes with Beasley for minutes and displaces Culver and Okogie. I don't like the fit. For Fit I would go Avdija, but he IMO isn't worthy of #1 so we have to execute a trade back with somebody.

Cam Reddish is not quite untouchable but he also kind of is given the discrepancy between his market value and how ATL is valuing him. I wouldn't trade him for the 1 much less with the 6 going out.

I would consider Hunter and 6 for 1 and Okogie coming back, but I know you guys are (rightly) high on Okogie.

I like AntMan and I see the potential, but I have real concerns he is Dion Waiters 2.0.

I hear Waiters as the worst possible outcome for Edwards. Edwards does IMO settle for the jump shot more often than he should because he absolutely has great ability to drive to the basket. Whoever picks him will have to work with him on that and much better shot selection overall. He could live at the foul line if he took advantage of the skills he already has.

As for Hunter before Reddish's big finish to the season Hunter looked like the easily better prospect. Okogie right now is the Wolves closest facsimile to a SF on the roster. If we sent him out in the deal it would much diminish the value of getting Hunter.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#742 » by King Ken » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:05 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:I don't think Minnesota and Atlanta make sense as trading partners, what Minnesota would want to justify moving down from 1 to 6 is not going to make much sense for Atlanta unless Travis Schlenk REALLY sees something special in Anthony Edwards.

Total agreement that you would have to love Edwards, but if you do we make perfect sense as trade partners.
Edwards has potential greatness, but not many players live up to their potential. Schlenk would have to feel confident in Edwards to make the deal it would take to get him.

Schlenk ain't making a deal for #1.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#743 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:06 pm

I would do Collins, Kevin Huerter, and a heavily protected 1st round pick for #1. That's the highest I would go
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,868

Post#744 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:12 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
King Ken wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:I don't think Minnesota and Atlanta make sense as trading partners, what Minnesota would want to justify moving down from 1 to 6 is not going to make much sense for Atlanta unless Travis Schlenk REALLY sees something special in Anthony Edwards.

Exactly. I understand why people want to trade with us, our assets but there is a reason we don't want to trade with you, we aren't moving them

You guys are strong in young Small forwards IMO. If you traded Hunter or Reddish IMO you would barely notice they were gone. If you added Edwards I think you would very much notice he was there. Of all the trade rumors being floated around the internet by the national pundits the most commonly heard one is Reddish or Hunter and #6 for #1. If that doesn't work for your management then no deal will be made between our teams.

I have shown/told you why that it not the case. One is a SG/SF, the other is a SF/PF.

From Hawks Coach Lloyd Pierce latest interview:
Q: I’m curious to see where Cam Reddish goes next season. 

LP: I call him Cam Motherf—— Reddish because I think he’s a bad man. I think he’s really going to turn out to be something extremely special. I want him to have the toughest mentality. I want him to think he’s the greatest player in the NBA. I want him to believe it because he’s got an opportunity with this potential, his skill set, his size, his confidence, he’s got an opportunity to really do something special. I’m trying to really bring that out of him. He’s a young guy. He’s only 20 years old. It’s scary. But we all want it now. That’s the challenge, but I’m going to be patient with him. I’m also going to challenge him to get the most out of everything he has.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#745 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:13 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I would do Collins, Kevin Huerter, and a heavily protected 1st round pick for #1. That's the highest I would go

...and that is waaaaay too high and the wrong direction for a team trying to make the playoffs next sesson
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#746 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:51 pm

jayu70 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I would do Collins, Kevin Huerter, and a heavily protected 1st round pick for #1. That's the highest I would go

...and that is waaaaay too high and the wrong direction for a team trying to make the playoffs next sesson

Jay you're a good man and I appreciate your thoughts. However, it is someone else's right to have a higher opinion of Edwards than you do. I don't know if I would accept that offer if I were the Wolves GM, but I would consider it. I have to look into Huerter more as I'm only vaguely familiar with him.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#747 » by shakes0 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's just idiotic unless we've gone back in time and this is the 2003 draft.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#748 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:58 pm

jayu70 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
King Ken wrote:Exactly. I understand why people want to trade with us, our assets but there is a reason we don't want to trade with you, we aren't moving them

I have shown/told you why that it not the case. One is a SG/SF, the other is a SF/PF.

From Hawks Coach Lloyd Pierce latest interview:
Q: I’m curious to see where Cam Reddish goes next season. 

LP: I call him Cam Motherf—— Reddish because I think he’s a bad man. I think he’s really going to turn out to be something extremely special. I want him to have the toughest mentality. I want him to think he’s the greatest player in the NBA. I want him to believe it because he’s got an opportunity with this potential, his skill set, his size, his confidence, he’s got an opportunity to really do something special. I’m trying to really bring that out of him. He’s a young guy. He’s only 20 years old. It’s scary. But we all want it now. That’s the challenge, but I’m going to be patient with him. I’m also going to challenge him to get the most out of everything he has.

I appreciate your thoughts on the Hawks SF situation, but as a fan of a team that IMO has 0 true SFs on my team I respectfully disagree with You. Reddish and Hunter IMO are both best utilized at the SF position. If you traded one away IMO you would barely notice he was missing. As for LP's comments is he the coach or what? All advocates for a team think that every player they have can be a superstar if they just unlocked the best of their abilities. I like Reddish and Hunter both pretty well. That's why I came to discuss the idea of trading with you. Both of them had only OK rookie seasons. Their offensive efficiency was very low for both of them. I still like them. If I didn't I wouldn't be proposing what I'm proposing. As I mentioned elsewhere I'm seeing the specific trade I'm talking about floating around and not from Wolves fans.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#749 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:01 pm

shakes0 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's just idiotic unless we've gone back in time and this is the 2003 draft.

Of the three assets listed only Collins IMO has any significant value. Huerter might be better than I think though. Heavily protected FRPs are worth almost nothing. By the way this deal would look way worse for the Hawks in 2003 than it does now. In 2003 Bigs like Collins were actually valued in the NBA and SGs like Edwards were not as highly desired.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#750 » by graymule » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:01 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Jay you're a good man and I appreciate your thoughts. However, it is someone else's right to have a higher opinion of Edwards than you do. I don't know if I would accept that offer if I were the Wolves GM, but I would consider it. I have to look into Huerter more as I'm only vaguely familiar with him.

:noway:

Please. Don't call my grand daughter a man. She's all woman and a mother!!

:nod:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#751 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:04 pm

graymule wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:...and that is waaaaay too high and the wrong direction for a team trying to make the playoffs next sesson

LOL are you joking or is this for real?

Also some women are better men than most men. :lol:
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#752 » by graymule » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:18 pm

:nod:[/quote]
LOL are you joking or is this for real?

Also some women are better men than most men. :lol:[/quote]

100% truth!

:D
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#753 » by King Ken » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Y'all ready me for me to stop being nice again?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#754 » by jayu70 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:10 am

graymule wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:...and that is waaaaay too high and the wrong direction for a team trying to make the playoffs next sesson

Thanks Gramps for always having my back. :)
jayu70
RealGM

Post#755 » by jayu70 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:12 am

King Ken wrote:Y'all ready me for me to stop being nice again?

Get 'im! :lol:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#756 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:13 am

jayu70 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Y'all ready me for me to stop being nice again?

Get 'im! :lol:

Yeah Get 'im. :D
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#757 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:16 am

jayu70 wrote:
graymule wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Jay you're a good man and I appreciate your thoughts. However, it is someone else's right to have a higher opinion of Edwards than you do. I don't know if I would accept that offer if I were the Wolves GM, but I would consider it. I have to look into Huerter more as I'm only vaguely familiar with him.

Thanks Gramps for always having my back. :)

My bad for assuming male gender. The vast majority of persons on these sports message boards are male and I saw the name Jayu70. I see Jay and that also leads me to think Male. However, you being a lady on these male dominated message boards is totally awesome. Keep it up and I have appreciated everything you have had to say.
I see you're a RealGm at 10,830 posts. So I'm guessing RealGM happens at 10,000. I only have 530 to go :D . King Ken I know me getting in will taint the honor. You don't have very far to go yourself. I'm guessing you will be in by draft day.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#758 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356