ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,129

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#461 » by twix2500 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:28 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
radikalBaller wrote:Oturu vs Jalen Smith

Boy looks good. I'd like to add Oture, Jalen, and Carey. That's just me though. 8-)

I like Oturu, I think he has a lot of offensive tools that can be developed to a very high level. I also see defensive tools that can be developed. He has the body type to be a very good rebounder. I think he is very similar to when Bam was drafted. Still raw but has a lot of tools to work with. I like Carey but I do not see his skill set that fits Spo coaching style. Smith is like Okpala, he need to eat and get in the weight room. He reminds me of a Larry Sanders but not as athletic or big.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,635

Post#462 » by DayofMourning » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:26 pm

twix2500 wrote:I like Oturu, I think he has a lot of offensive tools that can be developed to a very high level. I also see defensive tools that can be developed. He has the body type to be a very good rebounder. I think he is very similar to when Bam was drafted. Still raw but has a lot of tools to work with. I like Carey but I do not see his skill set that fits Spo coaching style. Smith is like Okpala, he need to eat and get in the weight room. He reminds me of a Larry Sanders but not as athletic or big.

Larry Sanders. That's a throwback. I can see that morphologically he looks similar. Just looked him up actually, he's only 31 years old. He could still be playing if he wasn't crazy as hell.

Smith needs to develop his body, but many young guys do. Once they start putting effort into it, the gains come quick. It's like their bodies are hungry to fill out. I remember dedicating myself to the gym at 20 years old. I gained 45 pounds of muscle in a year and a half.

As for Carey, he's got that stretch jumper hiding. He'll unleash it when he hits the pros. Combo that with his bully presence in the post, and you've got a guy who supplements our strengths, and fills our needs well. He'll have to learn how to switch, but he's a smart guy, so anticipation will be what he needs to work on most. With teams trying to go small, Carey will punish them down low.
Bhut Jolokia
Pro Prospect
And1: 828

Post#463 » by Bhut Jolokia » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Why didn’t the Miami Heat just keep Bol Bol after drafting him last year? He would have been a perfect center for the Heat since he is great at blocking shots and shooting 3s.
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,324

Post#464 » by radikalBaller » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:37 pm

Yeah they must have known something about Bol Bol Health, that we don't know...

Vernon carrey looks a bit slow, and unathletic, not really much of a shot blocker, Oturu has more potential as a nba player. Carrey looks more like a poor man Okafor...
twix2500
RealGM

Post#465 » by twix2500 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:27 pm

Bhut Jolokia wrote:Why didn’t the Miami Heat just keep Bol Bol after drafting him last year? He would have been a perfect center for the Heat since he is great at blocking shots and shooting 3s.

Spo wasnt gonna play him just like Okpala. I would believe would of held Bol out more so than Bol because of his injury history.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#466 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:25 pm

twix2500 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
radikalBaller wrote:Oturu vs Jalen Smith

Boy looks good. I'd like to add Oture, Jalen, and Carey. That's just me though. 8-)

I like Oturu, I think he has a lot of offensive tools that can be developed to a very high level. I also see defensive tools that can be developed. He has the body type to be a very good rebounder. I think he is very similar to when Bam was drafted. Still raw but has a lot of tools to work with. I like Carey but I do not see his skill set that fits Spo coaching style. Smith is like Okpala, he need to eat and get in the weight room. He reminds me of a Larry Sanders but not as athletic or big.

You can say that about many big man prospects each year, that they have offensive tools that can be developed. Oturu isn't Ayton, Embiid, Gobert, etc.

He's not a 7-footer and/or has a great wingspan so I doubt that he will be an amazing rim protector in the NBA. Not saying he can't become a great player but the odds of that happening are really low.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,130

Post#467 » by dolphinatik » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:23 pm

Bhut Jolokia wrote:Why didn’t the Miami Heat just keep Bol Bol after drafting him last year? He would have been a perfect center for the Heat since he is great at blocking shots and shooting 3s.

Too skinny health concern for most ppl. but yes would have been awesome as he is a heat legacy since his father played here in the day. anyway... cant stop watching Ramsey his shot is on line. He reminded me or Westbrook before because he is very athletic and will dunk on you without abandon but the more I watch his shot its drops like Timmy Hardaways used to. He looks like a thug but his swag and grit is more like Chauncey Billups who you will remember bounced around and was underrated until he stuck. If this guy sticks in the league he will have that old man game that will be good for a long time.

1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Bhut Jolokia
Pro Prospect

Post#468 » by Bhut Jolokia » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:38 pm

dolphinatik wrote:

Too skinny health concern for most ppl. but yes would have been awesome as he is a heat legacy since his father played here in the day. anyway... cant stop watching Ramsey his shot is on line. He reminded me or Westbrook before because he is very athletic and will dunk on you without abandon but the more I watch his shot its drops like Timmy Hardaways used to. He looks like a thug but his swag and grit is more like Chauncey Billups who you will remember bounced around and was underrated until he stuck. If this guy sticks in the league he will have that old man game that will be good for a long time.

Yeah, Jahmi’us Ramsey is one of the players I want the Heat to pick if he is available at #20. He is one of the better 3 point shooters in this draft, athletic and can handle the ball well. The Heat already have a lot of playmakers on the team including Bam so he has time to develop that area of his game more. He can also needs to improve his FT%, which was only about 64% last year. He reminds me of Jamal Murray a little bit.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,769

Post#469 » by Wiltside » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 pm

As annoyed as I am about the Bol pick, reality is we'd already traded the pick once KZ was available in the low 30's. Who they ended up picking at #44 was basically inconsequential.

You can make the argument why KZ was higher on our draft board than Bol, given both were available, but I guess we back our scouts in. They've done a good job of finding quality players - just have to hope KZ is one of them. Given his lack of opportunity so far, this year is basically purely development.

Bol looks good, but given his injury history, he may be here for a good time but not a long time.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#470 » by DayofMourning » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:25 am

We never had Bol. He was the pick we made for Denver. That's been explained before.
Bhut Jolokia
Pro Prospect

Post#471 » by Bhut Jolokia » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:30 am

DayofMourning wrote:We never had Bol. He was the pick we made for Denver. That's been explained before.

Sorry, I got it now. I don’t read these boards regularly.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#472 » by puppa bear » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:19 am

Wiltside wrote:As annoyed as I am about the Bol pick, reality is we'd already traded the pick once KZ was available in the low 30's. Who they ended up picking at #44 was basically inconsequential.

You can make the argument why KZ was higher on our draft board than Bol, given both were available, but I guess we back our scouts in. They've done a good job of finding quality players - just have to hope KZ is one of them. Given his lack of opportunity so far, this year is basically purely development.

Bol looks good, but given his injury history, he may be here for a good time but not a long time.

Yeah. KZ is getting the development plan. Robinson had a similar thing last year, and it’s worked.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#473 » by twix2500 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:28 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

You can say that about many big man prospects each year, that they have offensive tools that can be developed. Oturu isn't Ayton, Embiid, Gobert, etc.

He's not a 7-footer and/or has a great wingspan so I doubt that he will be an amazing rim protector in the NBA. Not saying he can't become a great player but the odds of that happening are really low.

"Daniel Oturu: Strengths: 6'10 240 lbs Mobile big with size and length (7-foot-3 wingspan)"

"Bam Adebayo: 242.6 lbs, 7′ 2.75′ wing span "

And no you can not say many bigs have the offensive tools that Oturu does every year.

greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,755

Post#474 » by greg4012 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:10 pm

Wiltside wrote:As annoyed as I am about the Bol pick, reality is we'd already traded the pick once KZ was available in the low 30's. Who they ended up picking at #44 was basically inconsequential.

KZ has all the tools to be developed into the most valuable type of role player in the NBA. A switchable wing with length that can defend multiple positions, hit the open 3, and can handle the ball to get to the spots on the court needed to keep an offense moving.

He's definitely on a developmental track that the Heat is sticking to. I really hope we get to see him inserted into the rotation next season (possibly in place of DJJ if we don't keep him)
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#475 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:40 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

"Daniel Oturu: Strengths: 6'10 240 lbs Mobile big with size and length (7-foot-3 wingspan)"

"Bam Adebayo: 242.6 lbs, 7′ 2.75′ wing span "

And no you can not say many bigs have the offensive tools that Oturu does every year.

Oturu doesn't have Bam's mobility or athleticism. How many 6'9(without shoes) centers in the NBA are great defenders? Is Oturu a decent playmaker? I'm not saying that they are big man that specifically have Oturu's tools that can be developed each year, I'm saying that they're big man whos offensive tools you can say can be developed each year. You can argue that McDaniels, Pokusevski and Carey Jr. have offensive tools that can be developed to a high level. I just think that they're other prospects that could be available at 20 that are safer and have a higher ceiling than Oturu.
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,324

Post#476 » by radikalBaller » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:05 pm

Oturu is a good defender, good rebounder, good offensive player on good efficiency and has a jumpshot that can extend to the 3 point line and has great hands, what more can we ask to backup bam, he is also fairly athletic, mobile and has a good head on hos shoulders and very coachable...Heat need another big to rebound defend and score inside and outside, he would be an improvement over what we have
Bhut Jolokia
Pro Prospect

Post#477 » by Bhut Jolokia » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:02 pm

The Heat should make a draft day trade for Myles Turner. He doesn’t play well with the Pacer’s All-Star, Domantas Sabonis, since both of them play better at center. Turner is the perfect fit to play next to Bam since he is great at blocking shots and shooting 3s. He is exactly what the Heat need and is a nice upgrade over Meyers Leonard and Kelly Olynyk. Turner is 24 years old, only one year older than Bam.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,769

Post#478 » by Wiltside » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:12 pm

Bhut Jolokia wrote:The Heat should make a draft day trade for Myles Turner. He doesn’t play well with the Pacer’s All-Star, Domantas Sabonis, since both of them play better at center. Turner is the perfect fit to play next to Bam since he is great at blocking shots and shooting 3s. He is exactly what the Heat need and is a nice upgrade over Meyers Leonard and Kelly Olynyk. Turner is 24 years old, only one year older than Bam.

The issue with Turner is he’s on the books for $17.5m per year until 2023. It’s not awful money for what he does, but it’s up there.

He’s a good fit next to Bam, no doubt. But I wonder in Spo’s system if it’s money well spent. Spo likes playing Bam at the 5 with a smaller, athletic spacer like Crowder at the 4 a lot of time. Now, that may be more out of necessity than desire, but it’s hard to tell.

I still advocate for taking a swing on Mo Bamba to try and fill that shot blocking, 3pt shooting big role. It really doesnt feel like he’s high on ORL’s priority list, and given where his role is currently at in ORL, he’d probably be happy with 20+ minutes a night here. I’d like to see what we could do with him with our development staff.

The final option would be a big 1yr offer to someone like Christian Wood, but it seems unlikely he’d accept a 1yr deal. Perhaps a 2 year with a team option on the 2nd with a later guarantee date? I dunno, he can probably do better.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,130

Post#479 » by dolphinatik » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:43 am

Orlando would be a great trade partner as they have shown they have no problems giving up on their stars or projects for the pipe dream of an unproven draft prospect.

2nd round
Elijah Hughes (Heat could fall in love with this guy) his age is the only thing keeping him out of the lottery.
Corey Kispert (Bech Shooter)
Desmond Bane

Undrafted Invite:
Markus Howard
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#480 » by DayofMourning » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:46 am

Bhut Jolokia wrote:The Heat should make a draft day trade for Myles Turner. He doesn’t play well with the Pacer’s All-Star, Domantas Sabonis, since both of them play better at center. Turner is the perfect fit to play next to Bam since he is great at blocking shots and shooting 3s. He is exactly what the Heat need and is a nice upgrade over Meyers Leonard and Kelly Olynyk. Turner is 24 years old, only one year older than Bam.

He was taken one pick after Winslow too. Man, what a turn of events that he'd be of trade interest years later, whilst Winslow is a few more injuries away from playing in China.

I like Turner. No frills, cept on defense. Basic on offense, with good shooting ability for a big. Not super fluid. Really focuses on rim protection while on the floor, which shows in his lack of boards.

Had a strong playoff series against us, but that's pretty much expected when we have no one to compete with him. 16 points, 11 boards, and 4 blocks. He was arguably their best player vs us.

The contract isn't that bad really. Don't know what you offer for him though. You can draft a big in this draft and groom him at a much lower price tag. I think that's the best value really. There're a few bigs who could be in our range who can shoot, rebound, and play defense. We'd likely be better suited to save our monies for the big boys of FA.

Return to Miami Heat