Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,537

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#561 » by dice » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:30 am

Dresden wrote:Associated Press

FDA chief apologizes for overstating plasma effect on virus

MATTHEW PERRONE and DEB RIECHMANN

August 25, 2020,

WASHINGTON (AP) — Responding to an outcry from medical experts, Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn on Tuesday apologized for overstating the life-saving benefits of treating COVID-19 patients with convalescent plasma.

Scientists and medical experts have been pushing back against the claims about the treatment since President Donald Trump’s announcement on Sunday that the FDA had decided to issue emergency authorization for convalescent plasma, taken from patients who have recovered from the coronavirus and rich in disease-fighting antibodies.

Trump hailed the decision as a historic breakthrough even though the treatment’s value has not been established. The announcement on the eve of Trump’s Republican National Convention raised suspicions that it was politically motivated to offset critics of the president's handling of the pandemic.

Hahn had echoed Trump in saying that 35 more people out of 100 would survive the coronavirus if they were treated with the plasma. That claim vastly overstated preliminary findings of Mayo Clinic observations.

Hahn's mea culpa comes at a critical moment for the FDA which, under intense pressure from the White House, is responsible for deciding whether upcoming vaccines are safe and effective in preventing COVID-19.

The 35% figure drew condemnation from other scientists and some former FDA officials, who called on Hahn to correct the record.

“I have been criticized for remarks I made Sunday night about the benefits of convalescent plasma. The criticism is entirely justified. What I should have said better is that the data show a relative risk reduction not an absolute risk reduction,” Hahn tweeted.

as with hydroxychloroquine, when public officials trumpet (pardon the pun) unproven treatments, it becomes harder to conduct clinical trials. because you're requiring sick people to sign up for something where they might be getting a placebo. but unlike w/ hydroxychloroquine, i wouldn't think there would be potential adverse affects w/ plasma

europe (spain in particular) experiencing a 2nd wave a month after the US did

s korea closing schools in metro seoul due to outbreak

british government paying half the bill for those who eat at restaurants monday thru wednesday
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#562 » by Dresden » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:14 pm

Roll Tide!

"On Monday, the University of Alabama reported a total of 566 coronavirus cases across all of its campuses less than a week after the first day of class on August 19.

The University of Alabama is offering a combination of in-person and hybrid courses.

One student newspaper criticized the administration, saying, "Students have taken the University's requirements as suggestions solely because administration has as well.""
dice
RealGM

Post#563 » by dice » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:43 am

Dresden wrote:Roll Tide!

"On Monday, the University of Alabama reported a total of 566 coronavirus cases across all of its campuses less than a week after the first day of class on August 19.

The University of Alabama is offering a combination of in-person and hybrid courses.

One student newspaper criticized the administration, saying, "Students have taken the University's requirements as suggestions solely because administration has as well.""

unless it spreads to the football team nobody will care

what's the distinction between the administration and "the university"?

it's ridiculous to think that the vast majority students would have followed requirements to a T if the "administration" had as well. are U of alabama students more responsible than notre dame students, who forced their in person classes to shut down because they went to off campus parties?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
nike1
Senior
And1: 313

Post#564 » by nike1 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:43 am

i'm probably gonna catch heat for this.
but im happy with where i live right now.this covid thing hasnt had an community based outbreak in my state.
the only outbreak we had was in a hospital a few months ago. the region was basically locked down.
i can see the effect its having on the rest of my country and its insane.
idiots breaking border rules

only two things i hate
i cant travel to go see family in person that i havent seen for nearly two years.
and it is having a major effect on my mental health because of the constant news focus.

p.s i suck at writing my thoughts down
dice
RealGM

Post#565 » by dice » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:34 am

gathering of thousands of people outside the damn white house tonight with little in the way of social distancing and a whole lot of people without masks on. all in the name of illegally prostituting a national landmark for personal political gain. this is not leadership, folks. it's a death cult

U.S.A.!
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#566 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:08 am

Super spreader event going on currently INSIDE the White House.

Alternate Facts....Kellyanne was right.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#567 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:24 am

nike1 wrote:i'm probably gonna catch heat for this.
but im happy with where i live right now.this covid thing hasnt had an community based outbreak in my state.
the only outbreak we had was in a hospital a few months ago. the region was basically locked down.

only two things i hate
i cant travel to go see family in person that i havent seen for nearly two years.
and it is having a major effect on my mental health because of the constant news focus.

Turning the news off for a few days would be a good start for mental health. If its really critical news you will find out anyway.

Grab a good book or binge a good show. Helps clear the mind.

Why can't you visit family?
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,798

Post#568 » by jc23 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
nike1 wrote:i'm probably gonna catch heat for this.

only two things i hate

Turning the news off for a few days would be a good start for mental health. If its really critical news you will find out anyway.

todays news is the same as the phone filters girls use to make them look prettier, its not fake but its not exactly reality either. I do watch a bit of wgn morning news from time to time, they are a funny bunch.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Dresden
RealGM

Post#569 » by Dresden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:34 am

Michael Irvin on his battle with Covid:

“I didn’t know I had it, and then I got real sick — I mean a pounding headache for like four or five days,” Irvin said on the show. “You couldn’t eat. You can’t sleep. You’ve just got to endure the pain.
“I took two tests. They all came back negative. So I’m thinking, ‘OK, I’m good. I don’t have it. I don’t have it.’ But I’m feeling the pain, and then after I went through about three weeks of hell — about three weeks of hell — I said, ‘OK, I’m going to go and take the antibody test,’ because it had to be something. It had to be COVID. There’s no way I went through that kind of pain, that kind of hell, and nobody knows what it is. Then, I’m scared it may come back. So I took the antibody test, and of course the antibody test, which I think is more accurate, came back that I had the antibodies.”

“I pray for anybody who has it, I really do,” Irvin said on the show. “The headache, I said to myself, honestly I’m not lying, I wanted out of here. I was like, ‘Man, there’s no way I can even endure this.’ The only thing I kept saying is, ‘You’ve only got two weeks of it. Two weeks. Two weeks.’
“I pray for all the people that have those migraines, because it’s severe like a migraine, and they have it all the time. That would be the hardest thing in the world to live with, because I just went through it. It was the hardest thing in the world I’ve ever dealt with.”
Dresden
RealGM

Post#570 » by Dresden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:34 am

Anyone heard from AK Fanatic? He had it, the last time he posted here that I know of. Hope you're doing alright man.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#571 » by Ccwatercraft » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:29 am

Dresden wrote:Michael Irvin on his battle with Covid:

“I didn’t know I had it, and then I got real sick — I mean a pounding headache for like four or five days,” Irvin said on the show. “You couldn’t eat. You can’t sleep. You’ve just got to endure the pain.
“I took two tests. They all came back negative. So I’m thinking, ‘OK, I’m good. I don’t have it. I don’t have it.’ But I’m feeling the pain, and then after I went through about three weeks of hell — about three weeks of hell — I said, ‘OK, I’m going to go and take the antibody test,’ because it had to be something. It had to be COVID. There’s no way I went through that kind of pain, that kind of hell, and nobody knows what it is. Then, I’m scared it may come back. So I took the antibody test, and of course the antibody test, which I think is more accurate, came back that I had the antibodies.”

“I pray for anybody who has it, I really do,” Irvin said on the show. “The headache, I said to myself, honestly I’m not lying, I wanted out of here. I was like, ‘Man, there’s no way I can even endure this.’ The only thing I kept saying is, ‘You’ve only got two weeks of it. Two weeks. Two weeks.’
“I pray for all the people that have those migraines, because it’s severe like a migraine, and they have it all the time. That would be the hardest thing in the world to live with, because I just went through it. It was the hardest thing in the world I’ve ever dealt with.”

A friend had exact same symptoms, headaches for two weeks, no cough no fever. Just awful headaches. 6 people at her work had it, all returned back to work now.
dice
RealGM

Post#572 » by dice » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:35 am

i don't doubt that he had it, but as i noted on the last page, the antibody tests are considered to be generally useless
dice
RealGM

Post#573 » by dice » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:37 am

state of iowa w/ a stupifying 79% positivity rate right now as their governor is mandating in person schooling

also, CDC degrades itself by allowing trump administration to pressure it into issuing ridiculous new guidance (don't have to get tested if you've been in contact w/ an infected person):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200828&instance_id=21733&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=94658923&segment_id=37139&te=1&user_id=7ea4e9d4dbdb5ec9d68d451510e3f47d#link-7bf1017c
Dresden
RealGM

Post#574 » by Dresden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:21 am

dice wrote:state of iowa w/ a stupifying 79% positivity rate right now as their governor is mandating in person schooling

also, CDC degrades itself by allowing trump administration to pressure it into issuing ridiculous new guidance (don't have to get tested if you've been in contact w/ an infected person):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200828&instance_id=21733&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=94658923&segment_id=37139&te=1&user_id=7ea4e9d4dbdb5ec9d68d451510e3f47d#link-7bf1017c

I just had that happen at work- one of my guys tested positive, so his two co-workers had to be tested, as well as several carpenters who were on the job, as well as myself. And we all have to wait for test results before going back to work, which has been taking up to 7 days here lately. So major drag, not to mention expensive. Luckily, of the 4 employees I've had get infected, only one was actually sick, and even that was pretty mild. Knock on wood.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#575 » by Dresden » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:22 am

Ccwatercraft wrote:

A friend had exact same symptoms, headaches for two weeks, no cough no fever. Just awful headaches. 6 people at her work had it, all returned back to work now.

I can see why he said he thought of ending it all- pain like that that doesn't go away for 3 weeks is enough to drive you over the edge.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#576 » by Dez » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:42 am

Back in double digit new cases (94) for the first time in about 2 months here in Victoria, there is a god damn light at the end of this tunnell.
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#577 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:11 am

Well guys, here in California, at my very office with almost a few hundred new staff checking in/out of our building since May, our very first COVID case. The office didn't say who, but uh yeah it's been a week since he/she was at the office. Around my cubicle, I would intermittently hear someone coughing or sneezing.

I suspect that one of my own co-worker friends has it because of her own streak of coughing, and it appears she was told to go home early today.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
nike1
Senior

Post#578 » by nike1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:19 am

Ccwatercraft wrote:

firstly apologies for taking a few days to see this.
i should have broken it down a bit more. but its really a combination of the constant news focus and the inability to see family.
can i visit family? i think i can, but would have to self-isolate on the return trip..
my states borders are closed to basically everyone else in my country.

p.s i live in australia. Tasmania to be exact. home of the real tasmanian devil. not the fake warner brothers one lol
Dresden
RealGM

Post#579 » by Dresden » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:34 am

nike1 wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:

i should have broken it down a bit more. but its really a combination of the constant news focus and the inability to see family.
can i visit family? i think i can, but would have to self-isolate on the return trip..

p.s i live in australia. Tasmania to be exact. home of the real tasmanian devil. not the fake warner brothers one lol

What a beautiful place to live. Do you like it there?
nike1
Senior

Post#580 » by nike1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:54 am

Dresden wrote:
nike1 wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:

What a beautiful place to live. Do you like it there?

it has its pros and con's
but its my home state i love it and i hate it at the same time..
we're not a hugely populated state only 500k.
im still finding new things about the place i love.
tourism is our major drawcard so with all these restrictions at the moment (same with most of australia really) we've had a HUGE hit on the economy.

Return to Chicago Bulls