ImageImage

Should ATL pursue a trade for Oladipo?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which Hawks player would you be willing to include in a trade for Oladipo?

De'Andre Hunter
No votes
Cam Reddish
38%
Kevin Huerter
63%

Total votes: 8

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Should ATL pursue a trade for Oladipo? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:05 pm

From Bleacher Report's NBA salary cap guru...

Eric Pincus wrote:Why NBA Insiders Expect Victor Oladipo to Hit the Trade Block This Offseason

It's time for the Indiana Pacers to re-evaluate their relationship with two-time All-Star Victor Oladipo, who is entering the final year on his contract at $21 million. Even if he wanted to commit to a long-term stay in Indiana, an extension is unlikely before free agency in 2021.

That's because the most the Pacers can offer is a 20 percent raise starting at $25.2 million, well short of a maximum salary...

"I bet they trade him," one former Eastern Conference executive said, looking ahead to the upcoming offseason.

Oladipo may have...every intention of re-signing with Indiana, but the team runs the risk of losing him for nothing once his contract runs out.

The 28-year-old guard hasn't been the same since the January 2019 quadriceps tear that knocked him out for a full year. Given more time, Oladipo may get back to being the player who averaged 23.1 points per game while leading the league with 2.4 steals during the 2017-18 season. But can Indiana even afford to keep him?

The Atlanta Hawks may be able to make a more realistic pitch, starting with the No. 6 pick and prospects such as De'Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish and/or Kevin Huerter (several players still on their cost-controlled rookie-scale contracts).

If that's appealing to Indiana, the Hawks will face a similar challenge with Oladipo in that he can't extend at a max salary. But because Atlanta projects to be one of the few teams with significant cap room this summer, the Hawks would have the means to renegotiate Oladipo's contract after a trade to the 2020-21 maximum.

Assuming the NBA's salary cap stays flat at $109.1 million, Oladipo would be eligible for an immediate raise of $11.7 million to $32.7 million. The Hawks could simultaneously extend him for two additional seasons at roughly $70.4 million through the 2022-23 season.

Few teams have assets that might interest the Pacers and the ability to protect the return on that investment via renegotiation. And while the Hawks had a miserable 20-47 record, they do have one of the NBA's brightest young stars in Trae Young. Even after an Oladipo trade, the Hawks could have nearly $20 million to spend on more talent, depending on how many players are needed to acquire Oladipo.

Bleacher Report
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Re: Should ATL pursue a trade for Oladipo? 

Post#2 » by azuresou1 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Oladipo has looked terrible post injury, and I'm not trading anything for him much less giving an extension.

Let's wait a year and see if he still has game, and if he does we can just sign him in FA.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#3 » by jayu70 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:46 pm

Not as a trade target. Yes to 2021 FAcy.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#4 » by kg01 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:07 pm

No. He's had 1 good year and is about to be 30.
king01 :king:
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#5 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:11 am

I'm in favor for trading, but just like Schlenk, I would not give much value. Something like Huerter and OKC pick.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:45 am

Nate McMillan being fired is a strong indication that many more changes are to come.

As far as, Victor Oladipo goes, I believe he proved this postseason that he's finally recovered. This off-season will seal that for me. In three out of four games vs Miami he showed 20+ points. Game one he only played nine minutes and scored four points.

At the 2 spot I prefer a guy that can hit 3-pointers at a higher percentage. He is wanting over 25m per season once he becomes a free agent and I don't believe that's in our best interesting moving forward. John Collins get extended and our focus goes to Trae Young along with free agent targets. Oladipo seems impossible unless it after next season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#7 » by shakes0 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:39 pm

azuresou1 wrote:Oladipo has looked terrible post injury, and I'm not trading anything for him much less giving an extension.

Let's wait a year and see if he still has game, and if he does we can just sign him in FA.

Agree 100%!

This poll needs a none of the above option. Big no thanks on VO.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#8 » by King Ken » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Let's see how the boys do in 2021 before looking outside
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#9 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:35 am

My answer, fwiw, is it's no different than anything else.

Depends on the price.

If you actually pay an appropriate price for a two-time 28 year-old All-Star who is coming off devastating injury, and may or may not get all the way back to form; and who has one year left on a contract, yet also, in acquiring him, you gain Bird rights... if you pay THAT price for THAT player, it's perfectly reasonable.

The pre-injury Oladipo who had no previous significant injury history and who punched his ticket to the 2019 ASG just prior to the injury is an almost perfect fit beside a guard of Trae's caliber but with Trae's weakness. When Trae goes to the bench, he's completely comfortable to move over to the point for those times, and when he goes to the bench, of course, that's when Reddish can get his.

But it's the price is right game as much as ever. Where is that equilibrium b/t what the seller wants and what makes sense for the buyer to pay?

I dunno, but in an off-season where Schlenk appears to be hard-pressed to gain the Iggy-type asset he's after, I'm very interested in it getting figured out.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#10 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:19 am

None of the above. Develop the young core, bring in 1 year contract help
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#11 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:49 am

Much rather you guys pursue a trade for Anthony Edwards than Victor Oladipo.

I have friends who are TWolves fans (outside RealGM) who are high on Okongwu and are willing to trade Edwards for DeAndre Hunter and the 6th pick if Yek is available.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#12 » by King Ken » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:21 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:My answer, fwiw, is it's no different than anything else.

Depends on the price.

If you actually pay an appropriate price for a two-time 28 year-old All-Star who is coming off devastating injury, and may or may not get all the way back to form; and who has one year left on a contract, yet also, in acquiring him, you gain Bird rights... if you pay THAT price for THAT player, it's perfectly reasonable.

The pre-injury Oladipo who had no previous significant injury history and who punched his ticket to the 2019 ASG just prior to the injury is an almost perfect fit beside a guard of Trae's caliber but with Trae's weakness. When Trae goes to the bench, he's completely comfortable to move over to the point for those times, and when he goes to the bench, of course, that's when Reddish can get his.

But it's the price is right game as much as ever. Where is that equilibrium b/t what the seller wants and what makes sense for the buyer to pay?

I dunno, but in an off-season where Schlenk appears to be hard-pressed to gain the Iggy-type asset he's after, I'm very interested in it getting figured out.

I don't think we are the team that should trade for an Oladipo rental. I think Minnesota should. Trade #17, James Johnson for Oladipo rental. You can't convince me that he's worth more than a mid 1st and fillers for a rental with the potential to resign. We don't have the assets.

Maybe if we somehow got a mid 1st and our cap space and used it for Oladipo, I would be open to that. Otherwise, not interested.

Assume we get the #19 pick and Prince, I would be open to trading that pick for Oladipo. To me, that's a reasonable price for a rental with resign potential of Oladipo caliber but I do think it's a kinda high considering his lift looks gone.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#13 » by King Ken » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:Much rather you guys pursue a trade for Anthony Edwards than Victor Oladipo.

I have friends who are TWolves fans (outside RealGM) who are high on Okongwu and are willing to trade Edwards for DeAndre Hunter and the 6th pick if Yek is available.

The idea of moving up in this draft class is disgusting to me. All of the top three has major fit issues. I wouldn't mind having the pick to move back but not to trade up to the pick to move assets. I am just not on board with any move up. It's not that I don't like these guys, I just like our assets more. We have a depth issue, not a talent issue. That's why everyone comes to us about trading down. Everyone can see our talent
King Ken
General Manager

Post#14 » by King Ken » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:51 pm

I think the entire mid 1st 15-21 range teams for this draft would have interest in an Oladipo rental

Assuming Evan opts out, #15 and Aminu for Dipo makes sense

Obviously Portland doesn't have the cap space assets

MIN: Oladipo for James Johnson and 17

DAL: Oladipo for Tim Hardaway Jr and 18

Brooklyn doesn't have the cap space and aren't willing to trade core pieces unless they get more back Myles Turner which I seriously doubt interest Indy.

I don't know if Miami can trade their 2020 1st but Iggy and 20 for Dipo

PHI: Horford and two 1sts for Dipo

The question is, if Dipo wants FA and not open to resign, why trade for him for any of these teams including us. Dipo isn't a game changer like Leonard. He's a prime Millsap level impact coming off of an injury. Maybe he gets you a late 1st in that situation. I can then seeing the Mavs being interested in trading 31 and THJ for a Dipo regardless of his decision

The more I think about it,the less it makes sense for the Hawks. Dipo is 30 too. He's in big payday and contender mode. He would want to be Harris overpaid to stay and Collins is a fa too. Easy pass
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#15 » by nybluemeadow » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:27 am

If Oladipo interests Hawks' fans, maybe a deal can be worked out with the Knicks for RJ Barrett
jayu70
RealGM

Post#16 » by jayu70 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:49 pm

nybluemeadow wrote:If Oladipo interests Hawks' fans, maybe a deal can be worked out with the Knicks for RJ Barrett

Why do you want to trade him? What's wrong with him?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:34 pm

Offseason Trades for NBA Lottery Teams

Hawks Win Victor Oladipo Sweepstakes

Atlanta Hawks receive: Victor Oladipo

Indiana Pacers receive: Dewayne Dedmon, Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish and 2020 No. 6 pick

The dismissal of head coach Nate McMillan could be the tip of the iceberg for an offseason overhaul in the Circle City. With Mike D'Antoni reportedly on the radar, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, a potential shift to small-ball might finally break apart the Myles Turner-Domantas Sabonis frontcourt. Plus, Victor Oladipo is approaching the final year of his contract and has no financial reasons to extend it.

"I bet they trade him" a former Eastern Conference executive said of Oladipo, per B/R's Eric Pincus.
If Oladipo hits the trade market, Atlanta should be ready with an aggressive bid. The Hawks think their young nucleus is ready for its first playoff flight, and the same win-now mindset that drew them to Clint Capela at the trade deadline could now put Oladipo in the crosshairs.

If Oladipo retains his old All-Star form, he might be the perfect backcourt complement to Trae Young. Oladipo is a disruptive defender (15th-most steals since 2013-14, 10th-most defensive win shares among guards over that stretch), a shot-creator (for himself and his teammates) and a capable shooter (career 35.0 percent from three). He can thrive alongside Young and prevent the pitfalls this offense suffered when he took a seat.

As Pincus noted, Atlanta also has the cap space needed to potentially put an extension in play for Oladipo. If the cap stays at $109.1 million, the Hawks could renegotiate his 2020-21 salary to $32.7 million and then extend him two additional seasons for about $70 million.

Indiana, meanwhile, goes from risking Oladipo leaving for nothing to restocking the shelves with three rotation players and an early draft pick. Assuming the Pacers want to perk up their perimeter game—why else would they be eyeing D'Antoni?—Huerter and Dedmon can both help with that. Reddish is a bit of a wild card, but his flashes of significant upside came more regularly late in the season.
Bleacher Report
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#18 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:58 pm

No thanks. The inclusion of Kev closed the door, the inclusion of Cam put a giant bolt lock on the door.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#19 » by jayu70 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:14 pm

I don't trust that Dipo will regain his old form and that's just too much to pay for a guy looking to be paid.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#20 » by King Ken » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:21 pm

I wish people would stop mentioning us for **** trade articles.

Return to Atlanta Hawks