Potential sleepers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1881 » by doordoor123 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:06 pm

My first round sleepers are Aaron Nesmith, Cole Anthony, Kira Lewis, Jaden McDaniels, Zeke Nnaji, Daniel Oturu and Ashton Hagans. A lot of these guys aren’t projected first round, but I’ll be surprised if all of these guys don’t get on a team and do well in the league. Meaning they should all be first rounders to me.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1882 » by karkinos » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:32 pm

bruh
nesmith, cole, kira, and jaden are all mocked first rounders
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1883 » by doordoor123 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:10 pm

karkinos wrote:bruh
nesmith, cole, kira, and jaden are all mocked first rounders

I said a lot of them aren’t projected first, not all of them. Clearly Nesmith and Cole are pretty much projected lottery.

Bruh
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1884 » by karkinos » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:16 pm

how are they sleepers if they are in the lottery or the first round?
you listed 7 names
more than half of your list doesn't even belong in the thread
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1885 » by doordoor123 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:22 pm

You guys overrate defenders. Defenders get minutes yes, but they’re super safe picks. Offensive players become featured players. A good defender who can shoot standstill shots isn’t a possible superstar unless he has an insane work ethic, which very few players have. The reason why someone like Cam Reddish was valuable is because of his handle, which you can’t just develop out of nowhere. Two-dribble handles are different than handling the ball. Guys who can shoot the ball like Booker have been practicing mechanics and shooting from all over the floor their entire lives. Donovan Mitchell got minutes because of his wingspan and base defensive ability, but he isn’t a defender. His handle is how he’s a superstar. So I just want to remind you someone like Vassell could be a good player, but he’s a roleplayer. He’s not Paul George and I don’t think any of us know him personally enough to say he has the drive only a tiny fraction of NBA players have. To me guys like him and Saddiq Bey are nice, but they are never going to be a top 3 player on a team. To me if I’m in the lottery I’m only being safe like that if I really think it’s a bad draft.

Even if they won’t become those kinds of players, wings with size who can shoot are still rare. But is a rare type of player worth it over a potential superstar? That’s what teams have to figure out.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#1886 » by yitur » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:28 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:While I have the Sparty mark next to my name, I don't see myself as much of a homer. I had a strong feeling Draymond would succeed in the NBA and I get the exact same feeling about Xavier Tillman Sr. He led the NCAA in box score plus/minus (Most of the leaders in that statistic tend to do well in the NBA), he is humble, hardworking, intelligent, and a defensive beast. I see Tillman Sr. outplaying his draft slot and having a long career, not as a star but as an important cog on a team (anywhere from rotation player to starter).

I wish I could say the same for Cassius Winston. He was an amazing college player who deserved the opportunity to play for a national championship this year. As a pro, he may be able to carve out a career as a backup. I'm 50/50 on that. He's got the skill and the brain, just not the NBA body.

I liked this logic and checked from sports-reference. Except the 2011 season this stat really is a nice parameter, better than most stats. Can you recommend any other site to check that stat, because sports-reference only gives you the top 10.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1887 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Cassius Winston

I wonder if he can carve an Eddie House like microwave scorer with a great 3 shot type career. That is what I see as the ceiling for Winston. The kid is such a joy to watch and so passionate, but his limitations will make him a bench gunner at best. If he can find his way to a team that has ballhandlers at SG or the F positions, I think he could be that off ball 3PT gunner that House was, while also having just enough skills to play a bit of traditional PG.

People forget just how great a shooter he is. If he can adapt that to moving off ball more he can carve a 8-9th man type role quite easily I presume. He isnt just a volume 3PT guy, he is a deadeye shot.

That being said, he looks shorter than 6'1 on the court and has a near Earl Boykins like hitch in his shot. His body just seems odd as well, like a sort of Zach Randolph but tiny. He makes the 3's but he jumps forward a ton on his release which will be difficult to do in the NBA.

I am 50/50 on him but love these seasoned seniors that just play their hearts out. That doesnt mean much in the NBA though.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#1888 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:11 am

yitur wrote:
I liked this logic and checked from sports-reference. Except the 2011 season this stat really is a nice parameter, better than most stats. Can you recommend any other site to check that stat, because sports-reference only gives you the top 10.

Unfortunately I don't. That's what I used.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#1889 » by yitur » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:59 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:
yitur wrote:

Unfortunately I don't. That's what I used.

That still looks like a great way to find some sleepers.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1890 » by EMG518 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:50 am

Markus Howard, I would grab him in the 1st round.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#1891 » by getrichordie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:02 pm

[twitter] @thunderdustin
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1892 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:49 pm

EMG518 wrote:Markus Howard, I would grab him in the 1st round.

too old too short and no defense. late 2nd to undrafted overrated chucker in a weak draft imo
if he goes in the first something is terribly wrong with said scouting dept.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1893 » by EMG518 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Stillwater wrote:

too old too short and no defense. late 2nd to undrafted overrated chucker in a weak draft imo

Your scouting report is off imo. He turned 21 in March, that means all of that production he had in college in a major conference was at the age of 20 and younger. He was playing in college at 17 as a freshman.

He is not too short, he is about 6 and he gives a solid effort on defense, he is in no way going to be a good defender but passable team defender certainly. He moves around fine and has decent length and a decent body. He is wide bodied.

He is one of the best shooters in the draft as well. So in what you just called a weak draft I would take him towards the end of the 1st.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1894 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:24 pm

EMG518 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Your scouting report is off imo. He turned 21 in March, that means all of that production he had in college in a major conference was at the age of 20 and younger. He was playing in college at 17 as a freshman.

He is not too short, he is about 6 and he gives a solid effort on defense, he is in no way going to be a good defender but passable team defender certainly. He moves around fine and has decent length and a decent body. He is wide bodied.

He is one of the best shooters in the draft as well. So in what you just called a weak draft I would take him towards the end of the 1st.

turning 22 in the middle of your rookie season is too old to be drafted in the first if you are viewed as a undersized 1 way player let alone one who is a chucker putting up those stats mostly in meaningless games.
He is 5'9 at most
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#1895 » by Almond2Oak » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:11 am

I’m sure someone has had to post him... but Udoka Azubiuke from KU... still not even 21. Does he fit current chuck it 45+ from 3? Maybe some hybrid Capela / Drummond. Plus at some point a team will zag and make other team stop two monster down low duo in a league of midgets.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1896 » by GimmeDat » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:27 am

Stillwater wrote:

Do we throw around the word 'chucker' for anyone that scores a lot of points now? Because he had a .609 TS% over 4 years...

This isn't me talking up his draft chances either. But chucker? Eh, I find that a bit disrespectful to what he achieved in his college career.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1897 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:39 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Do we throw around the word 'chucker' for anyone that scores a lot of points now? Because he had a .609 TS% over 4 years...

This isn't me talking up his draft chances either. But chucker? Eh, I find that a bit disrespectful to what he achieved in his college career.

Thats a fair point I guess... however a really smallish heavy usage guard in college having transferable skills is unlikely. I mean his ability to get to line wont be there at the same rate
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1898 » by GimmeDat » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:46 am

Stillwater wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Stillwater wrote:too old too short and no defense. late 2nd to undrafted overrated chucker in a weak draft imo

Thats a fair point I guess... however a really smallish heavy usage guard in college having transferable skills is unlikely. I mean his ability to get to line wont be there at the same rate

Definitely will be a struggle to translate at his size, you're right. At best, a spark-plug 3rd string guy, I think it's fair to say.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1899 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:56 pm

I think Payton Pritchard might go undrafted. He’s a dog.....like dude never quits and is a relentless scorer. I love his most and if he can focus on defense a bit more, he might have a Mickey McConnell impact with more scoring.

Cassius Winston is being severely underrated at this point. Great leader and great shot maker when it matters. Again dude is a dog. You can’t have to many dogs, can’t have no kitty cats.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1900 » by doordoor123 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:35 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I think Payton Pritchard might go undrafted. He’s a dog.....like dude never quits and is a relentless scorer. I love his most and if he can focus on defense a bit more, he might have a Mickey McConnell impact with more scoring.

Cassius Winston is being severely underrated at this point. Great leader and great shot maker when it matters. Again dude is a dog. You can’t have to many dogs, can’t have no kitty cats.

I agree. I think both of these guys will get a spot over someone like Grant Riller. If either go undrafted they’ll still be in the league a long time. I have Winston as the 11th best guard, shooting guards included.

Return to NBA Draft