OT - Current Affairs/COVID/Vaccines, etc

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,076

Re: 2020 NBA Playoff discussion 

Post#401 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:34 pm

Wilber85 wrote:I said swing vote because I want all the Biden idiots to prove to me that they have zero clue about his policies and just voting to get trump out. Just be honest and say that's the reason, because not one person has had a good argument on why biden. That includes about 4000 people on IG, FB, etc.

Biden has you blinded. 47 years and 8 years as VP and he did nothing, now he has all you thinking he will save the world. :crazy: :banghead:

We've had 4 years to see Trump, and it pretty much couldn't have gone worse. The thing about Biden (was one of my last choices as a Democratic candidate) is that he can delegate and his cabinet can do what the need to do in their positions. Leadership is trusting those who you appoint. The President doesn't do everything.
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#402 » by TheLogician » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Wilber85 wrote:I said swing vote because I want all the Biden idiots to prove to me that they have zero clue about his policies and just voting to get trump out. Just be honest and say that's the reason, because not one person has had a good argument on why biden. That includes about 4000 people on IG, FB, etc.

Biden has you blinded. 47 years and 8 years as VP and he did nothing, now he has all you thinking he will save the world. :crazy: :banghead:

Also check this out

Kyle Rittenhouse will get a misdemeanor gun charge and that's it! Great video below

Yes, the majority of us voting for Biden are voting for him specifically because he is not Trump. We are not in the cult. We love this country and do not support its self-destruction.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#403 » by Wilber85 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 pm

darealjuice wrote:

Also check this out

Kyle Rittenhouse will get a misdemeanor gun charge and that's it! Great video below

It's almost like you're supposed to compare the people you vote for or something? Also, I'm curious if you feel the same way about all the Trump voters that exclusively voted for him because they hated Hillary in 2016 lol? Are you incapable of recognizing hypocrisy, or just self-serving?

No one acts like Biden is a world-saving candidate, but he's not the **** conman you'd like to keep in office.

Hyprocrisy>?

I am not left or right but I align more with the Republican mindset. I still do not like Trump as a person but I have made the most money this year with him in the presidency. I agree with his border policy, how high the unemployment rate was before COVID (GLOBAL PANDEMIC do not tell me BIDEN would have kept this where it was), Minority unemployment rate, how he took the most Americans off of welfare and brought a lot of jobs in the country.

I am big on veterans being a marine, and veteran unemployment was low, and veteran healthcare bill !

Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After-tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back into the U.S. in the first quarter alone.

FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history.

Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord, and Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.

Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer
Wilber85
Veteran

Post#404 » by Wilber85 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:54 pm

TheLogician wrote:

Also check this out

Yes, the majority of us voting for Biden are voting for him specifically because he is not Trump. We are not in the cult. We love this country and do not support its self-destruction.

You love this country but you are voting for Biden? GTFOH. Biden is going to make this country weaker than it is.
Wilber85
Veteran

Post#405 » by Wilber85 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:57 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

We've had 4 years to see Trump, and it pretty much couldn't have gone worse. The thing about Biden (was one of my last choices as a Democratic candidate) is that he can delegate and his cabinet can do what the need to do in their positions. Leadership is trusting those who you appoint. The President doesn't do everything.

I will bet you Biden will not finish a 4-year term.

Do you realize what Trump accomplished his first 3 1/2 years till a GLOBAL PANDEMIC Hit? He accomplished more in 3 1/2 years than Obama, Clinton, etc. did for the US
charley barkles
Senior
And1: 213

Post#406 » by charley barkles » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:09 pm

So who thinks OKC can win today?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#407 » by Saberestar » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Read on Twitter

What the **** Ennis? He deserves to be out of the league next season.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,102

Post#408 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:32 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

True.

Even still, Joe Biden's plans are at least in the direction of where I want our country to go. Net-zero emissions by 2050, reinstating environmental protections, putting more restrictions on campaign financing (though, I wish he were harsher, for instance his disclosure requirements only require single entities to disclose donations larger than $10,000 just makes political donations a shell game. Koch Bros now have need 100 "unique" entities to donate $1,000,000 to a campaign), $20 billion grant program for social programs that help reduce crime rates with attachments like removing mandatory minimum sentencing for non-violent criminal offenders, decriminalizing cannabis, ending cash-bail, more investments in public education for higher wages for teachers and counselors as well as bringing a greater variety of courses back to schools geared towards vocational training so that you can get good jobs straight out of high school, gun legislation that requires better vetting and greater accountability to sellers and buyers and no abolishing the 2nd amendment (I'm not a gun owner, but I see the importance of the right to bear arms), bringing back a progressive tax rate to fund these plans.

I'm for all of these things. Some of Biden's positions could be stronger, IMO, but the Congress and Senate also play a huge part in making these happen (which could bolster or weaken the end results), not to mention local government officials on the state level.

So yeah, I'm voting FOR Joe Biden just as much as I am voting AGAINST Donald Trump.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#409 » by suns12345 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:59 pm

Also check this out

That footage is so F'ed. I could barely even watch it.

So sad, what a mess...
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#410 » by TheLogician » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:04 pm

The veteran's bill was introduced by Bernie Sanders, FYI. And Trump certainly didn't care about the soldiers who suffered concussions and brain damage in the retaliatory strikes by Iran. Or the Green Berets he sent to their deaths in Mali. Or the three soldiers killed in Pensacola by a Saudi national. Or the Gold Star families he insulted. Or John McCain. You can kiss Trump's ass all day long for all I care, but don't pretend like he cares about anyone but himself. He's willing to throw democracy and everyone under the bus to protect his ego.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#411 » by cberry78 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:30 pm

TheLogician wrote:The veteran's bill was introduced by Bernie Sanders, FYI. And Trump certainly didn't care about the soldiers who suffered concussions and brain damage in the retaliatory strikes by Iran. Or the Green Berets he sent to their deaths in Mali. Or the three soldiers killed in Pensacola by a Saudi national. Or the Gold Star families he insulted. Or John McCain. You can kiss Trump's ass all day long for all I care, but don't pretend like he cares about anyone but himself. He's willing to throw democracy and everyone under the bus to protect his ego.

And line his pockets. Don't forget that part.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#412 » by bigfoot » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Also check this out

He will be found guilty of second-degree reckless homicide plus a handful of other charges. He chose to put himself in a volatile situation with a firearm. That in itself means he understood there was a substantial risk of human death or great bodily harm. This kid screwed himself over.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#413 » by bigfoot » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:20 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
Spoiler:
darealjuice wrote:

Also check this out

It's almost like you're supposed to compare the people you vote for or something? Also, I'm curious if you feel the same way about all the Trump voters that exclusively voted for him because they hated Hillary in 2016 lol? Are you incapable of recognizing hypocrisy, or just self-serving?

No one acts like Biden is a world-saving candidate, but he's not the **** conman you'd like to keep in office.

Hyprocrisy>?

I am not left or right but I align more with the Republican mindset. I still do not like Trump as a person but I have made the most money this year with him in the presidency. I agree with his border policy, how high the unemployment rate was before COVID (GLOBAL PANDEMIC do not tell me BIDEN would have kept this where it was), Minority unemployment rate, how he took the most Americans off of welfare and brought a lot of jobs in the country.

I am big on veterans being a marine, and veteran unemployment was low, and veteran healthcare bill !

Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After-tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back into the U.S. in the first quarter alone.

Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord, and Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.

Banana Milk
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#414 » by Banana Milk » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:22 am

So... CJ and Melo are actually making this game interesting so far.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,864

Post#415 » by grumpysaddle » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:18 am

Wilber85 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:

Also check this out

Hyprocrisy>?

Maybe turn off the Fox News man.

Making more money this year than ever before is a small sample size (you and one year). Unemployment has been going down since Obama took office. It was down when Bush entered office too, unemployment and job growth take a while to taper off, and it cyclical. The country goes back and forth from Democratic to Republican presidents. Democrats usually fix the problems in the economy that are left over from Republican presidencies and those fixes trail into the first 2 or 3 years of a Republicans presidency. It's happened this way for decades.

The tax cuts aren't a good thing for the economy or people at large. They benefit very few people and actually hurt the country. Some people have more money in their pockets, sure, but that tax money is the infrastructure to our society. Taxes suck, but they are a necessity. Having the rich pay less of their share does not help. It's a trickle-down economics farce that has been proven time and again that it just doesn't work.

Is the veteran's health bill you're referring to Veteran's Choice? Cause if so, I hate to break it to you, but that was enacted under Obama in 2014.

Pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord that almost every other advanced country is a part of isn't an achievement, it's a disgrace. But I'm guessing you're a climate change denier.

The tariffs on China have hurt Americans more than they've hurt China. Americans are paying those tariffs. Trump has a lot of nerve to talk so much **** about China and how he's so alpha-male with them, but then his MAGA hats and shirts are printed in... you guessed it, China.

Trump is 100% to blame for the Trump Virus becoming as rampant as it is currently. 180,000 Americans are dead because of his inactions/actions. Obama/Biden had a pandemic taskforce with a manual on how to handle pandemics set up, and Trump dismantled it in his first year. That worked out super well, huh? Trump divides the nation constantly, while a president should bring the country together, especially in times of crisis. I mean, even GW Bush's approval rating hit almost 90% right after 9/11. Trump's highest approval rate has been 51%, usually on the wrong side of 50%. In 3 1/2 years, he's completely destroyed relationships with America's greatest allies while lauding the leadership of countries like Russia and **** North Korea. I mean, jesus. He outright praised Chinese Uyghur camps.

You stated that it was okay that someone with a sex offender criminal record was shot in the back 7 times, even though the cops didn't know he had a warrant until after the shooting. Then you defend Trump, someone that legitimately has (IIRC at last count) 13 lawsuits filed against him for sexual abuse, including 13 year old children, with payouts for those cases. Why can you judge one person for previous things they've done when they get shot in the back, but then overlook way worse things for the **** President of the United States of America?

Biden is far from who I'd choose as a Democratic candidate, but holy hell is he lightyears better than what a Trump presidency has been. I mean... it's not even close.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#416 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:07 am

I am a finance guy, and Trump has created a market bubble. He assigned a Fed Chairman and this guy does what Trump wants him to do.

The market was already a huge bubble. You can figure this out if you have followed the history of the stock market and how fast the market goes up in relation to avg salaries of people and basically, just history of the market. It is due for an enormous correction, and was probably late last year, but Trump wanted it to stay strong, so he kept pressure on the Fed to keep pumping money into the market.

Then in March when coronavirus hit, it tanked, due to public fear. About a week later, the Fed started pumping $2.4 billion daily into the market, and it rebounded in a big way, which made no sense, since the economy was tanking. It is a dangerous game. But I know what will happen after watching what he has done. Not only is the market vastly overinflated right now, even moreso than before (even though it is similar to the earlier peak, unemployment, the economy, and how most businesses outside of online sales businesses like Amazon, are doing very poorly).

What has happened is the Fed Funds rate is at zero so borrowing money is free for banks...then the Fed is giving bonds to companies, and they just continue to do so to keep all these companies liquid. Once these bonds are recalled, the market will crash.

I have a pretty good feeling what will happen, even though this bubble was created by Trump....if Biden wins the election, Trump will instruct the Fed Chairman to call in the bonds, which will hurt businesses, and the market will have a downturn...probably a very bad and long one.

Spoiler:
On Monday, the Federal Reserve announced it was expanding its program to get more credit into the hands of large corporations by buying a broad cross-section of investment-grade bonds, part of its pledge to inject $4 trillion into the global financial system to lessen the blow of a pandemic-induced recession.

Why, exactly, the Fed feels it necessary to inject more dollars into the corporate credit market is hard to fathom. The interest rate at which investment-grade companies can borrow on the bond market is now below 4 percent, about as low as anyone can remember. And the pace of bond issuance so far this year, at over $1.2 trillion, has been double that of last year’s torrid pace. Indeed, there’s so much capital sloshing around that investors are lining up to lend money to companies such as Boeing and Macy’s and the cruise-line operator Carnival, although these companies’ revenue has plummeted with along revenue in much of the travel and retail sectors. And this flurry of borrowing and lending comes despite warnings from Standard & Poor’s that the number of companies facing a downgrade in its credit ratings is at an all-time high.

The best explanation for this confidence is the widespread belief on Wall Street that the Fed will do “whatever it takes” — that is, print money to buy as many bonds as necessary — to keep credit flowing to the business sector, no matter the risk. By placing a floor under bond prices, the Fed makes it possible for over-indebted, sales-starved companies to borrow even more to cover operating losses, or refinance existing loans, allowing them to avoid, or at least delay, the day when they cannot pay their bills.

It’s not just creditors, however, who benefit from the Fed’s bond buying — by shielding shareholders from the risk of being wiped out through bankruptcy, their shares are also worth more. And it is that, more than the prospect of a quick recovery or the day-trading of individual investors, that has allowed what had been an overpriced stock market to regain almost all that it lost during the scary early days of the pandemic, despite an unemployment rate that is expected to remain close to double digits for the rest of the year. Things have become so crazy that Hertz stock, which should have become worthless when the company filed for bankruptcy last month, was trading at $6 a share at one point last week. The company has since announced plans to raise $1 billion to pay creditors by issuing new stock.

Back in March, with stock prices plunging and credit markets frozen, there was good reason for the Fed to promise to provide whatever it took to ensure that otherwise-sound businesses could get the credit they needed to get them through the pandemic. But with credit markets operating smoothly, the Fed now has no mandate to reflate the credit and stock bubbles that existed before the crisis, in the process propping up zombie companies and forestalling the long-overdue restructuring of industries with too much capacity and companies with too much debt.

That may not have been the Fed’s intent, but it is how things have worked out. At this point, putting even more liquidity into credit markets already awash in it is does very little to accelerate the economic recovery. What it does do, however, is hand an undeserved and unseemly windfall to corporate executives, bankers, hedge fund managers and Wall Street investors.

Ever since the chairmanship of Alan Greenspan, the Fed has been playing a cute game when it comes to characterizing its relationship to financial markets.

When the markets are buoyant, Fed officials claim that central bankers should never second-guess markets by declaring that there are financial bubbles that might need to be deflated. Markets on their own, they assure, will correct whatever excesses may develop.

But when bubbles burst or markets spiral downward, the Fed suddenly comes around to the idea that markets aren’t so rational and self-correcting and that it is the Fed’s job to second-guess them by lending copiously when nobody else will.

In essence, the Fed has adopted a strategy that works like a one-way ratchet, providing a floor for stock and bond prices but never a ceiling. The result in part has been a series of financial crises, each requiring a bigger bailout than the last. But when the storm finally passes and it’s time to begin sopping up all that emergency credit, the Fed inevitably caves in to pressure from Wall Street, the White House, business leaders and unions and conjures up some rationalization for keeping the party going.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/17/fed-is-addicted-propping-up-market-whether-it-needs-help-or-not/
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#417 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:08 am

I will move all of this discussion into another thread at some point soon, with the playoffs back up. I think we have an old Current Affairs thread.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,102

Post#418 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:08 am

bigfoot wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:Lebron is such a coward. So you are telling me that in the one night, the owners agreed to do more? What does that even mean? What are they going to do?

My take is that if Black Lives Mattered to them. They would do more than post nonsense. Start a Non-profit with all your NBA players/friends that will help with Legal Fees on wrongfully convicted, police brutality cases, etc. Instead of saying you are scared to get killed and shot, educate your followers on your platform to comply with the officers, and reach out to your nonprofit that will help you out.

All they are saying is vote, vote, vote. Truth is I guarantee they cannot tell me a policy that Biden has that would fix all this. I have asked many friends on that. Said I am on the fence of voting. Give me reasoning, and you may swing my vote.

What policies does biden have that would end police violence, racism, coronavirus, etc. Nobody has an answer. Just be honest and say you want trump out, and that's the only reason

The fact that you would even consider swinging your vote should tell you that you think there may be something wrong with Trump. You need to take a long, long hard look at his negatives. Here are some to think about ...

1) The man is morally bankrupt ... a liar, cheater, womanizer, draft dodger.
2) He is the "Great Divider" ... he does nothing to unite our country.
3) He only adheres to the U.S. Constitution when it suits his personal agenda ... he has trampled our Constitution.
4) He is a failure as a businessman ... I know many, many businessmen who despise his use of bankruptcy to cheat people and other companies so that he does not have to pay them his full debt.
5) He is a fake religious follower of Christianity and only uses it to push his agenda.
6) He is the poster child for megalomaniacs ... this man has serious mental flaws and is power tripping.
7) He has gone through so, so many cabinet members and West Wing personnel. Never have I seen this with any President. Why?
8) So many respected Republicans who have worked in his inner circle have left and written books about his problems and the danger he presents to our Country. Why?
9) He is a nepotist ... loading the White House and Cabinet members with family and close friends. This is an immense danger to our Democracy and has not been done by previous administrations.
10) He disparages the media calling it fake news unless they write or present him in a glowing manner. It doesn't matter if its Fox or CNN. He whines if they say or do anything negative and praises them if they do anything positive for him. Again trampling the U.S. Constitution amendment for a free press.

These are just a very few examples of why this man is unfit to serve as the President. And so you know I am a native Arizonian and lifelong Republican.

I just wanted to give you a shout out, my guy.

There are a lot of tenets of conservatism that are, in fact, quite good and healthy for the political well-being of a country, but this President sure as **** does not uphold nearly enough of those beliefs to even come close to justifying a second term. Everybody deserves a better conservative candidate (might need to make that plural given the amount of Republican politicians who've cowed to him, though you could say many saw him for who he was early but that might actually be worse given how much many kiss his ass now). I hope next time around we actually get one.

And I hope nobody thinks that if Biden is in office everything is fine and we don't need to maintain vigilance. I know these past 4 years have been pretty exhausting, but we still need to hold our politicians accountable regardless of their affiliation.

Anyway, I think I'm done with the political talk for now.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,641

Post#419 » by sunsbum » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:42 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:If that was reality, it would probably be done by now. The problem is that nobody except for BLM has spoken up with the unified voice they have against racial injustice, wrongful killing and police brutality.

I'm going to put on my rose-colored glasses here. Organizations like the Greater Phoenix Leadership are just starting to gain traction on criminal justice and reform ... https://www.gplinc.org/news/greater-phoenix-leadership-condemns-racial-injustice/

GPL is comprised of the big-wigs (CEOs) in Phoenix and includes folks like Bidwell (Cardinals) and Rowley (Suns) ... https://www.gplinc.org/leadership/

I've directly spoken with some CEOs who are part of the GPL and they will go after politicians that hurt the Arizona economy. Especially after the nationwide debacles we had with Evan Mecham (MLK holiday cancellation and Super Bowl pullout) and SB-1070. By going after I mean, the GPL will endorse and fund other candidates who are more in line with their priorities regardless of party. My understanding is this group was very engaged in the defeat of Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Until recently, GPL's priority is pro-business and Arizona's education system. They recognize that Arizona being one the worst spenders on public education hurts business opportunities in the State. The hope is that GPL really does get after the state and local politicians to make changes that are good for the State in terms of race and policing ... https://www.gplinc.org/achievements/

I'm just going to plead ignorance being someone from the other side of the globe, but while I always knew police brutality and wrongful killing were just....a "feature" of America. It really wasn't raised to the level of consciousness on my side of the world until this past decade or so when the BLM picked up steam and names like Trayvon Martin, George Floyd, Eric Garner, Michael Brown and Tamir Rice became international headlines because their profiles were raised by protests. BLM is no longer a local or national movement, it's recognised around the world and it paints America in a bad light and now it's on America to clean up

The only bad light America is in is one cast from the media. Which is why you're seeing these basketball players prop up sexual predators and criminals. They're millionaires in mansions reading nothing but twitter feeds and main stream news. Why am I not surprised you didn't mention the names DAVID DORN or BERNELL TRAMMELL?
Flex is now your father.
m1chal
Rookie
And1: 824

Post#420 » by m1chal » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:28 am

Why is this political discussion in the playoffs thread? Make a separate thread for it, not all of us are interested in American politics.

Return to Phoenix Suns