ImageImageImageImage

The Offseason thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,640

The Offseason thread 

Post#1 » by thelead » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:06 pm

So, we all think Evan will pick up his option and be our starting SG next year, right?
Mrrags009
Junior
And1: 34

Re: The Offseason thread 

Post#2 » by Mrrags009 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:17 pm

Yup. If he doesn't how is the cap look?

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#3 » by OrlandoNed » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Mrrags009 wrote:Yup. If he doesn't how is the cap look?

Over the cap either way. Our cap situation is still a dumpster fire. Only in Orlando can we have a top 5 salary total for 2020 and 2021 for a team that struggles to make the playoffs.

Management is a goddamn joke. They are spending contender money for an early playoff exit. All that money and they can’t even come close to breaking even.
thelead
RealGM

Post#4 » by thelead » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:34 pm

Mrrags009 wrote:Yup. If he doesn't how is the cap look?

No cap space. After the Aminu signing, I don’t trust this FO to even use the MLE intelligently. We have one PG on the roster for next year (Fultz) so we’ll likely see at least MCW or DJ brought back... so in other words... run it back!

I hope we see some trades though. Enough is enough.
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 103

Post#5 » by otownflava21 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:34 pm

Can we PLEASE find a way to get rid of Fournier next season? He’s supposed to be a shooter and he is not even reliable at that. I’m just sick of him already. I rather lose him for nothing in return than to keep him. A positive by a negative IMO
thelead
RealGM

Post#6 » by thelead » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:37 pm

otownflava21 wrote:Can we PLEASE find a way to get rid of Fournier next season? He’s supposed to be a shooter and he is not even reliable at that. I’m just sick of him already. I rather lose him for nothing in return than to keep him. A positive by a negative IMO

We’ll have to trade him because I doubt he’s leaving $17 million on the table. I doubt he can get something even close after this disaster of a season (financially) from the NBA. At least he’ll be an expiring contract but those are usually just used as fillers these days.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 583

Post#7 » by MasterGMer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:40 pm

We, Magic fans, seriously have to wait an entire month to see things happen. So...
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,807

Post#8 » by IllMagic04 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:08 am

If Evan picks up the option then just try to move him at the deadline. I know we all hate him but he'd be a good addition on a contender.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
pinoynurse
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#9 » by pinoynurse » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:44 am

Now that theyre out of the bubble are the players still allowed to workout at the team practice facilities? Or fo they have to wait for the nba to give them the go ahead?
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#10 » by J-Mezzy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:39 am

Run it back yo

And pray Markelle takes a step forward and that playoffs Vuc is a real thing
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#11 » by youngthegiant » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:39 am

How is Evan's defense? Denver could use a guy like him as a 4th option.
thelead
RealGM

Post#12 » by thelead » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:10 am

youngthegiant wrote:How is Evan's defense? Denver could use a guy like him as a 4th option.

He is a human traffic cone but don’t worry, he folds on offense when you need him most :D

In all honesty, he probably would fit well on a team that moves the ball well like Denver. Not sure what Denver could offer that the Magic would be interested in though. It would be hard to match his salary in a trade.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#13 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:22 am

Y’all defended the FO wait and evaluate year and here we are. Absolute joke with 0 room for growth outside of internal (not happening) improvement. Blow this **** the **** up already.

Vuc is a nice player but is going to help us win games and kill us.

TRoss is doo doo but we paid him to be a big player. He’s a 6th 7th man at best.

Fultz is broken and the offense doesn’t suit him because we don’t have shooters.

**** MCW Iwundu Frazier Clark Eniss and the rest of the bums.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#14 » by Xatticus » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:05 am

youngthegiant wrote:How is Evan's defense? Denver could use a guy like him as a 4th option.

For the most part, the effort and focus are there. He is experienced enough and moves well enough to stay in front of most. He doesn't really overplay or leave the ground, so you won't get him with fakes. He'll rotate within the scheme, but he likes to stick to his guy, so don't count on him to help if there is a miscommunication and don't expect him to switch. He really doesn't want to end up in a mismatch. You have to send help if he gets caught on a big. He can jump a passing lane if someone makes a poor decision, but he is completely ineffectual as a playmaker at the point of attack and he is easily overpowered. He is a poor athlete and very weak. He has no presence and carves out no space. His career block and rebound rates are microscopic for a player of his size.

He has his supporters around here that constantly point to something Clifford said to the press forever ago, but our defense is clearly better when he isn't on the floor. Staying between his man and the basket is as much as he is going to give you. He is definitely someone you want to hide if you can.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#15 » by TheGlyde » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:32 am

Xatticus wrote:For the most part, the effort and focus are there. He is experienced enough and moves well enough to stay in front of most. He doesn't really overplay or leave the ground, so you won't get him with fakes. He'll rotate within the scheme, but he likes to stick to his guy, so don't count on him to help if there is a miscommunication and don't expect him to switch. He really doesn't want to end up in a mismatch. You have to send help if he gets caught on a big. He can jump a passing lane if someone makes a poor decision, but he is completely ineffectual as a playmaker at the point of attack and he is easily overpowered. He is a poor athlete and very weak. He has no presence and carves out no space. His career block and rebound rates are microscopic for a player of his size.

This should be on the back of his 2020 Panini Basketball card :bowdown:
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#16 » by Bensational » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:57 pm

So - predictions on who the next upset big name becomes who demands a trade, inside or outside the Magic?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#17 » by Def Swami » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:17 pm

I think if he opts in, he's getting traded. So it's up to Fournier to decide whether he wants to opt out and decide his own destination in a rather dry free agency market, or keep his $17 million for next season and just play where ever he gets traded to.

I'd watch the Sacramento Kings. Buddy Hield is clearly on the trading block after getting an extension last off-season. He was openly not pleased with his role off the bench this year. Hield getting traded is almost assured. Fournier, who apparently dreams to play for the Kings?, could be sent to the Kings as an expiring contract for Hield once the extension kicks in. You could argue Hield isn't that much of an upgrade over Fournier. I personally think he's a better fit on this team as a player who doesn't need the ball in his hands and can play well off a guard like Fultz. For his career, he shoots 41% from 3. Their efficiency is similar, but Hield's BPM and VORP are consistently higher than Fournier's. They're both weak defenders. But, I think Hield's shooting and offensive potential is better than Fournier's.

Help Evan Fournier's dream come true.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#18 » by Max Power » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:52 pm

I think Evan Fournier opts in. In the current nba environment I don’t think he gets anywhere near 17 million annually if he signs elsewhere. Especially after a very drab playoff performance.

As for the rest of the team. I think it’s going to be fuzzy for a bit as far as it’s future. Issacs injury should assure Aaron Gordon sticks around unless a complete roster overhaul happens. I think Vuc remains here. Despite his detractors, Vuc was arguably at his career best during the series with the Bucks. He’s a cornerstone here whether it’s liked or not. I personally like the Hield trade idea. I think a new 2 and 3 in our starting lineup could really energize this team going forward.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#19 » by fendilim » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:09 pm

I do think Evan will be valuable having an expiring contract especially with the likely repercussions of the pandemic to the finances of nba teams
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,269

Post#20 » by pepe1991 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 pm

Batum,Derozan, Evan, you name it- nobody is opting out in a year nobody wants to spend money
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic