ImageImage

Playoff game 5 rd 1Portland vs LA Lakers 6:00pm TNT/SNW

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Re: Playoff game 5 rd 1Portland vs LA Lakers 6:00pm TNT/SNW 

Post#41 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:52 pm

That's simply not true. If you look at the rate of shootings with underlying factors it's not even that close.

The context of this is that black men commit crimes at a far higher rate than any other group. Like, way higher. And this isnt due to race but systemic racism, economic factors and dare I say some ugly cultural norms that arise out of the two first variables. But if your coming into contact with the police at a disproportionate rate, your going to end up getting shot at a disproportionate rate.

This guy should have never been out of jail. That we allow bail for violent and sexual crimes is insane. Thats a miscarriage of justice.
This guy should have never been shot. That he was 7 times in the back is insane. Thats a miscarriage of justice.

But at the same time, the riots and looting are literally the ONLY variable that can push this election into Trumps arms. I live in Minneapolis, last night a black homicide suspect committed suicide downtown as the cops were coming to make the arrest. Disinformation spread, people said a cop did it and the whole already dead downtown area was completely looted. The cops put the video up of the man shooting himself, a sad but necessary move to provide proof they didnt shoot the guy. The result, people saying THAT was racist too. Its just insane at times. Our city is done, kaput. Downtown was already a cesspool of violence and crime since Floyd, and this will only make it worse. Its really quite sad.

I expect some interesting electoral patters with the riots and unrest. I know many people that plan to vote against Trump in the general but red down the line locally. We are sick of the no-interference orders from the Gov and Mayor against these criminals as they tear the city apart. And the ironic thing is rioting disproportionally affects poor and lower-middle class people long term. Its going to take so long to recover from this and with COVID allowing people to work from home and showing businesses they dont need brick and mortor locations downtown, many will close. This takes money out of the area, closing bars and restaurants, creating an economic void that will only result in more crime and violence as the city becomes the next itineration of Detroit and Baltimore.

Thinking of moving to Honolulu or San Diego, where people dont all hate each other.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#42 » by JasonStern » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#43 » by zzaj » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Sinobas wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Sinobas wrote:
More whites are shot by cops than blacks. Yet you're so sure you can chalk it up to "racism"? The context of these events are also mostly ignored. The officers had George Floyd in the police car for example, then he kept demanding to be held on the ground. The guy that got shot in Wisconsin was armed and resisting arrest.

Police shoot white person, barely makes a blip on the radar, same event happens with a black person, national riots. It's all how people have been brainwashed to respond due to how the media frames things.

That's simply not true. If you look at the rate of shootings with underlying factors it's not even that close.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2246987-us-police-kill-up-to-6-times-more-black-people-than-white-people/

I think it's ridiculous of you to say that people are "brainwashed" because they think the difference between what happened with Jacob Blake and Kyle Rittenhouse (as one example) is because of how media "frames things".

Anyway, this has gotten pretty far off topic. Mods, perhaps we should open a thread specific to the "protest" event?

While I do take what NBA players say with a grain of salt--many of them have been in a sports bubble most of their young lives and have a limited picture of what an average life is like--I fully support someone striking at work for whatever reason they so choose.

I said more whites were shot, which is true, I didn't say they were shot at a higher rate. But when you factor in the higher rate at which black people commit violent crime, that easily accounts for the racial disparity. This has actually been studied pretty thoroughly.

Out of all the terrible events and killings that occur, only one scenario, which is relatively rare, causes this kind of national eruption. Not even kids getting shot. To me that's brainwashing...people have been trained how to react.

Rate factors in % of population. If you say 100 white people are shot out of 1M vs. 10 POC out of 100. Sure more white people are shot...but that is an empty statistic.

I’m choosing not to continue to interact re: race, gender or politics on this forum.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#44 » by Sinobas » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 pm

So lets ignore the fact that violent crime rates can totally explain the descrepency in rates of being shot.

If a white person has a .0000001% chace of being shot by police, and a black person has a .0000004% chance you can say it's 4x higher, but it doesn't quite fit the narrative that this is a big danger does it.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#45 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 pm

So lets ignore the fact that violent crime rates can totally explain the descrepency in rates of being shot.

If a white person has a .0000001% chace of being shot by police, and a black person has a .0000004% chance you can say it's 4x higher, but it doesn't quite fit the narrative that this is a big danger does it.

That is a true statement. Its also a true statement to say a subgroup of people who commit crimes at a higher rate are more likely to come into contact with the police at a higher rate. Increased contact with the police is likely to increase the chances of shooting death by the police.

This doesnt justify these shootings of unarmed black men.

The primary variables for committing violent crime is poverty and broken households. If you look at poor whites from a broken home and poor blacks from a broken home, the crime rates are strikingly similar. Its just that the black community is overrepresented in both categories.

Over incarceration helps create broken homes, that needs to be addressed. But there are also cultural factors that contribute, factors that are perpetuated by poverty and cycles of violence. This is true regardless of skin color. I think instituting UBI, making community college and trade schools free, adjusting the way we fund public schools, full court pressing sex ed, etc. are all good steps to combat this poverty + broken home trap. Getting even more creative, I think it would be a interesting idea for the government to offer monetary rewards to people who dont have children until, say, 25. This would have to be a national program, for people of all races and levels of wealth, but in the end it would be most beneficial to persons in poverty. By 25, your much more mature, much more likely to be in a stable relationship, much more likely to have a better monetary base. The number of people who turn to crime overwhemlingly come from very young single parent families. Why not try to alleviate that with a program that rewards? Just thinking out loud, but its much more interesting to me to field ideas rather than just yell at 'the man'.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,932

Post#46 » by Moonbeam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:45 am

By the accounts I have seen of the player meetings, it's an emotional and raw time for everyone. Many want to play but many others don't. I can imagine several players would find it hard to put aside their feelings regarding police brutality right now to focus on basketball. I know many players have previously played in the wake of personal tragedies (Isaiah Thomas being a recent example), but the feeling is surely different when there is a sentiment of injustice, which could make playing basketball feel tantamount to trivializing what's going on outside of the bubble as opposed to playing for or in honor of lost loved ones.

I don't have any answers for this. Of course I would love to watch the playoffs continue because I love basketball, but I wouldn't feel right about it if the players weren't unified in wishing the season to resume. I'm glad the NBA is supporting the players here and showing that they value them more than as simply athletes who bring in billions of revenue.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#47 » by GEE » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:31 am

I'm a white boy that grew up in NE Portland during the 80's. Listening, IMO is far more important than speaking during these times we are in, so I'll keep this really short.

1. Empathy is required.

2. The race you are, or the fact that you were even born here in the USA, is purely by chance.

3. If not now, When?" I've seen White and Black pitted against one another since as early as I can remember. There are plenty of examples of systemic racism in Portland. In fact, the history of our city is a bit of a playbook for it.

4. This isht needs to end now. I hope the 99% movement regains some strength too some day soon.

"Kill your Masters" - rtj
Klinky
Assistant Coach
And1: 536

Post#48 » by Klinky » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:30 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

That is a true statement.

That isn't even a very "true" statement or one that explains why unarmed, non-violent black men/women are getting killed by police.

Jacob Blake
George Floyd
Ahmaud Arbery (ex-police, but his blue buddies were going to cover it up)
Breonna Taylor
Elijah McClain

There are other examples, many examples every year, you can't just say "black people are more violent, so that's why non-violent altercations result in more black people dying".
Circus Americano!
Klinky
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by Klinky » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Regarding the game tonight, since Lillard is leaving the bubble due to his knee, so won't be playing, I think we can stick a fork in the season.

Edit: I am not actually sure if there is a game tonight, the times and schedules are wack. I think ESPN was just listing the normal start for Game 6, but nba.com shows TBD still...
Circus Americano!
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#50 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:53 pm

i thought the games from Wednesday are supposed to be played on Saturday?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Klinky
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by Klinky » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:09 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:i thought the games from Wednesday are supposed to be played on Saturday?

Looks ike you're correct

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/28/nba-npba-joint-statement-social-justice

All parties agreed to resume NBA playoff games on Saturday, Aug. 29
Circus Americano!
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:05 pm

So what are people's expectations for this game? I'm thinking LeBron and Davis don't play the 4th quarter and if they do, it's not for more than 3-4 minutes.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:15 pm

What time is the game?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Klinky
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by Klinky » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:36 pm

The game should be on at 6pm according to to NBA.com.

I also expect this to be a blow out. LeBron will be on the bench half-way through the 3rd.
Circus Americano!
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#55 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:48 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:So what are people's expectations for this game?

Harlan: Hezonja with the ball. Spin move. Gets past JR Smith. Puts up a floater. MARIO HEZONJA with a career high 17 points on career high 30% shooting! And the Lakers lead is 37.

Webber: That's why they call it basketball. There's a basket, and a ball. And they play it.
- Chauncey Billups
hondaaccord
Bench Warmer
And1: 13

Post#56 » by hondaaccord » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:15 pm

I expect to push the Lakers until the end. The protests gave the team some much needed days off to rest, the season is on the line. No reason not to play as hard as possible. For a lot of these players it is likely their last game as a blazer, no one wants to go out on a 4 game losing streak. I expect the Lakers to sell out to stop CJ, which means it will be up to our role players to hit open looks.
OlFlashy wrote:Lebron would hurt derozan's development
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#57 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:32 pm

hondaaccord wrote:I expect the Lakers to sell out to stop CJ, which means it will be up to our role players to hit open looks.

If they couldn't hit those shots with Dame, I wouldn't expect them to without him.

Hoping at least one of the players on a rookie contract has a breakout game. Give us something to be irrationally in love with during the offseason.
- Chauncey Billups
GEE
Starter

Post#58 » by GEE » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:17 am

Like I said about one quarter into the last game before Dame got hurt, I'd be a fan of just shutting it down. Play the pups. Run it all back again in a few months with a healthy squad, and some personnel changes hopefully. I highly doubt we have any chance of winning, especially with these refs not calling anything... but we do have a good chance more bad things can happen. As somebody so greatly stated it earlier... "just put a fork in it".

Any update on Dame? My guess in he's getting some PRP treatment, or something along those lines.
GEE
Starter

Post#59 » by GEE » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:57 am

Another good possible outcome... since I know my previous post won't happen and I still dream of a big CJ trade, is finding a way for CJ to have a Dame-like dominating performance, we still lose, and receive no additional injuries. Get CJ's trade value sky high, so we can trade him for an even bigger haul. Gordon / Ross / FRP from Orlando, for depth on perimeter and financial reasons, would be an easy yes from me. If CJ gets a "double nickel" maybe we get multiple offers and a bidding war.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#60 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:05 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan

Return to Portland Trail Blazers