ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,989

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#481 » by DayofMourning » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:31 am

I think we've got to have this dude on our board:

He can pass, and defend, and is a good enough scorer to pitch in when needed. Needs to work on his consistency, but heck, we've got a guard right now who's supposed to be a scorer who needs to work on that.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,257

Post#482 » by twix2500 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:00 pm

DayofMourning wrote:I think we've got to have this dude on our board:

He can pass, and defend, and is a good enough scorer to pitch in when needed. Needs to work on his consistency, but heck, we've got a guard right now who's supposed to be a scorer who needs to work on that.

I think he will be a solid pro. I can see him going in the 1st round.
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 64

Post#483 » by lastb1ckman » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:35 am

DayofMourning wrote:I think we've got to have this dude on our board:

I'm totally on the Tre Jones train. He'd fit in like a glove on the Heat defending opposing guards and sharing ball handling with Jimmy, Dragic, and even Herro. I especially like that he improved his shooting percentages from his freshman year, even though he was under much more pressure with Zion and RJ Barret gone. If it was between him and Tyrese Maxey, I'd choose Jones.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#484 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:45 am

lastb1ckman wrote:I'm totally on the Tre Jones train. He'd fit in like a glove on the Heat defending opposing guards and sharing ball handling with Jimmy, Dragic, and even Herro. I especially like that he improved his shooting percentages from his freshman year, even though he was under much more pressure with Zion and RJ Barret gone. If it was between him and Tyrese Maxey, I'd choose Jones.

We've had a terrible time defending opposing guards from getting into the paint. Nunn has been a sieve all year long. Herro defends his ass off, but he isn't physically gifted enough to give guys real problems. Dragic has never been known as a defender. There has to be someone there who can lock in on guys and create fast breaks, stop free paths to the basket, while also being competent on the offensive end. Tre can run an offense, and somehow he shoots as well as the offensive juggernaut, Kendrick Nunn, whose overwhelming offensive prowess had him starting the entire year.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#485 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:36 am

From Hoops Rumors:

To present a clearer picture of which teams are most – and least – stocked with picks for the 2020 NBA draft, we’ve rounded up all 60 picks by team in the space below. Let’s dive in…

Teams with more than two picks:

Philadelphia 76ers (5): 21, 34, 36, 49, 58
Sacramento Kings (4): 12, 35, 43, 52
New Orleans Pelicans (4): 13, 39, 42, 60
Boston Celtics (4): 14, 26, 30, 47
Minnesota Timberwolves (3): 1, 17, 33
Golden State Warriors (3): 2, 48, 51
Charlotte Hornets (3): 3, 32, 56
New York Knicks (3): 8, 27, 38

Think we should target a 2nd from one of these teams that is stocked with them. I mean Philly has to be willing to sell one of them off. This is the draft where the Heat could get their defensive point guard and their two way big man. Do it!
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,938

Post#486 » by Wiltside » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:41 am

Tre Jones looks like a solid pick. He’s the kind of low ceiling, high floor type guy who you know what you’re gonna get from.

I could see him being a reasonable choice as we move into the next phase of our rebuild, being true contender status. You need guys who just know how to play, defend, run a second unit and knock down open shots.

The good thing about him is he’s a quality defensive player (2020 ACC DPOY) which is not something I can say about most of our backcourt.

The downside is he isn’t a prolific shooter. Only averaged 1.3 triples per game last season on 36%. He also doesn’t offer the kind of positional versatility we tend to like in our draft picks.

But he fits the big school pedigree we tend to look for in our FRP’s. He’s not the type of pick that really gets you excited or your blood pumping, but he should have a solid, long term career. Which is more than you can say about plenty of FRP’s.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 64

Post#487 » by lastb1ckman » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:49 am

DayofMourning wrote:From Hoops Rumors:

To present a clearer picture of which teams are most – and least – stocked with picks for the 2020 NBA draft, we’ve rounded up all 60 picks by team in the space below. Let’s dive in…

Teams with more than two picks:

Philadelphia 76ers (5): 21, 34, 36, 49, 58
Sacramento Kings (4): 12, 35, 43, 52
New Orleans Pelicans (4): 13, 39, 42, 60
Boston Celtics (4): 14, 26, 30, 47
Minnesota Timberwolves (3): 1, 17, 33
Golden State Warriors (3): 2, 48, 51
Charlotte Hornets (3): 3, 32, 56
New York Knicks (3): 8, 27, 38

Think we should target a 2nd from one of these teams that is stocked with them. I mean Philly has to be willing to sell one of them off. This is the draft where the Heat could get their defensive point guard and their two way big man. Do it!

In theory, do you think Kendrick Nunn is worth 1 or 2 2nd round picks? I feel like the Heat could atleast pry the 34th & 36th away from the Sixers if they offered Nunn. Could pick up guys like Daniel Oturu and Grant Riller at that range.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#488 » by Wiltside » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:11 am

Nunn is easily worth more than a 2nd round pick.

Dude averaged 15/3/3 in his first season. That’s better than like 90-95% of majority of 2nd rounders.

His value would be a mid FRP I would’ve thought. Someone like Orlando would kill for a guy like Kendrick.

Nunn + 20 for Bamba + 15.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#489 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:13 am

lastb1ckman wrote:In theory, do you think Kendrick Nunn is worth 1 or 2 2nd round picks? I feel like the Heat could atleast pry the 34th & 36th away from the Sixers if they offered Nunn. Could pick up guys like Daniel Oturu and Grant Riller at that range.

Miami traditionally gets low pick assets in return for a player. Picks are devalued for them, but other teams treat them like gold. Miami would rather have a player.

After watching a seasons worth of Nunn, I think he has a low ceiling. It'd be best to sell now while another team thinks they're getting a real player.

However, when I think of the Heat, I think they'd get low return. One 2nd rounder is what Michael Beasley going into his 3rd season got us (FML.......SMH.......LMAO).

Since bigs league wide have a bad rep, one could fall. Oturu? Carey? You'd need an early 2nd rounder as teams wouldn't take long to wise up.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#490 » by Wiltside » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:36 am

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:In theory, do you think Kendrick Nunn is worth 1 or 2 2nd round picks? I feel like the Heat could atleast pry the 34th & 36th away from the Sixers if they offered Nunn. Could pick up guys like Daniel Oturu and Grant Riller at that range.

Miami traditionally gets low pick assets in return for a player. Picks are devalued for them, but other teams treat them like gold. Miami would rather have a player.

After watching a seasons worth of Nunn, I think he has a low ceiling. It'd be best to sell now while another team thinks they're getting a real player.

However, when I think of the Heat, I think they'd get low return. One 2nd rounder is what Michael Beasley going into his 3rd season got us (FML.......SMH.......LMAO).

Since bigs league wide have a bad rep, one could fall. Oturu? Carey? You'd need an early 2nd rounder as teams wouldn't take long to wise up.

I agree on Nunn. I think I would try sell high, but I wouldn’t give him away. He’s still a valuable rotation piece.

I remember being so excited about a Wade, Bron, Bosh and Beasley lineup, only for Beas to get salary dumped. I get we went to “win now” mode, but it did suck to only get a token 2nd round pick for a guy who put up 15 a game in his second season and was a 2nd overall pick. Used that cap to get Mike Miller, which was a bit of a dud despite the occasional moment.

If we want a big we should have our pick of Carey or Oturu. I doubt either go before 20.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#491 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:57 am

Wiltside wrote:I agree on Nunn. I think I would try sell high, but I wouldn’t give him away. He’s still a valuable rotation piece.

I remember being so excited about a Wade, Bron, Bosh and Beasley lineup, only for Beas to get salary dumped. I get we went to “win now” mode, but it did suck to only get a token 2nd round pick for a guy who put up 15 a game in his second season and was a 2nd overall pick. Used that cap to get Mike Miller, which was a bit of a dud despite the occasional moment.

If we want a big we should have our pick of Carey or Oturu. I doubt either go before 20.

Yeah man, Beasley had his drawbacks, but being salary dumped.....sheesh, the Heat were too eager, and messed that one up. Get 1st rounders 5 years out, but you have to get something very solid back for him. They psyched themselves out of trade assets at minimum. No hindsight is 20/20 either, that was a mistake from day one.

I wonder about Carey and Oturu. I think Oturu could go in the teens. He's agile and versatile. Some team might oppose the small ball group think to get a legit big. Carey will likely fall a bit due to the lumbering big stereotype he's carrying (Careying?) with him.

I don't really care about where they're being mocked, as I only use those to get an idea of who the best prospects are. Once they qualify as a well regarded prospect, I just keep an eye out for what teams have a positional deficit, and go from there. It's why guys like Yabusele go mid first when they were mocked in the 2nd round. It takes one team to see a fit, and the guy's gone.

With Nunn, I just don't see anything more than a journeyman player. Sure, he'll light up the G League, and will get streaky, and he'll be wonderful, but then he'll spend 80% of the time clanking wide open threes off the front of the rim. He won't defend. He won't see a play developing. He's a Rucker Park type player. He's not the keen basketball mind you want with the talent to go with it.

I picture us with Tre Jones in his spot. Just imagine, Tre is clanking 80% of his shots, but he's still defending, he's starting fast breaks, he's making the right play, he's getting the ball to our bigs (Bam and Oturu) when they've established just a second of positioning in the post. That's the guard I want. That's an all around contributor.
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,324

Post#492 » by radikalBaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:59 pm

I would be happy if heat get sadick bey or kira lewis with the 20th pick, then oturu or tillman with a 2nd rounder

I can watch Lewis highlights all day, super fun player to watch play similarly to a young dragic. I like the speed, the finishes, the smooth jumpshot, the steal, the bbiq...

Sadick bey is just a great fit to this roster and has size and strengh to play and defend the 4 alongside bam, would be able to contribute day 1
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#493 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:37 pm

radikalBaller wrote:I would be happy if heat get sadick bey or kira lewis with the 20th pick, then oturu or tillman with a 2nd rounder

I can watch Lewis highlights all day, super fun player to watch play similarly to a young dragic. I like the speed, the finishes, the smooth jumpshot, the steal, the bbiq...

Sadick bey is just a great fit to this roster and has size and strengh to play and defend the 4 alongside bam, would be able to contribute day 1

Just curious, but have you watched full games of Kira? Statistically, he's a mediocre finisher. Poor finisher, some would say.

Guards have to finish near the basket. Goran doesn't have much in athleticism, but he's super crafty, which correlates to his strong percentages near the rim.

Would genuinely like to know more about this Kira finishing ability if you care to indulge my curiosity.
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#494 » by radikalBaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:44 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
radikalBaller wrote:I would be happy if heat get sadick bey or kira lewis with the 20th pick, then oturu or tillman with a 2nd rounder

Just curious, but have you watched full games of Kira? Statistically, he's a mediocre finisher. Poor finisher, some would say.

Guards have to finish near the basket. Goran doesn't have much in athleticism, but he's super crafty, which correlates to his strong percentages near the rim.

Would genuinely like to know more about this Kira finishing ability if you care to indulge my curiosity.

I will watch full tape, but the way he uses the rim to shield defenders, and the touch he has at high speed is encouraging
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#495 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Going to leave this here for Kira:

https://barttorvik.com/playerpbp.php?conlimit=&tvalue=Alabama&minrim=50&min2=0&min3=0&tot=0&rev=0&year=2020&sort=2

If you want to nerd out over advanced stats with your fave college player, this is a good start!
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#496 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Daniel Oturu-72% at the rim. I know he's a big, but that's good. Carey is 65%.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#497 » by DayofMourning » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:24 pm

Jalen Smith at 72% as well.
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#498 » by radikalBaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:27 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Going to leave this here for Kira:

https://barttorvik.com/playerpbp.php?conlimit=&tvalue=Alabama&minrim=50&min2=0&min3=0&tot=0&rev=0&year=2020&sort=2

If you want to nerd out over advanced stats with your fave college player, this is a good start!

I see your concerns about the finishing stats, and I need to dig into it to find the cause. From the eye he looks good, he is very young so he could be trying to finish shot he has no business taking or misstiming or missmeasuring jumps which can be cortrected with coaching. The mechanic of his layups and floaters looks very good though. Westbrook was also a bad finisher in college. If coaching can addresse this, he is easy a top 10 prospects, his speed cannot be teached...even though he does not look to finish, he would break down defenses, we need a guy like this. I think he will grow to 6.4 at least also, giving good size with that speed...
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#499 » by radikalBaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:31 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Going to leave this here for Kira:

He might have had to create alot out of nothing with no good facilators on his team, could have been but in a tuff role at a young age to be the offense, and is came with those growing pains. Put him on a kentucky type program and his efficiency ratings looks much better. The mechanics is there, unlike a winslow or joel anthony trying to finish at the rim...
radikalBaller
Lead Assistant

Post#500 » by radikalBaller » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:33 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Jalen Smith at 72% as well.
Jalen Smith is nice, but his tight hips and poor lower body strenght concerns me a bit. At best he could be a Turner type but he does not have the bulk and the wingspan to excel the same at shotblocking against nba players. I like Oturu a bit better in that role

Return to Miami Heat