ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#341 » by ejs78 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Keep the picks and draft players that will help with the athleticism and defense.

Achiuwa
Green
Maxey
T. Bey
Williams if he falls
Vassell if you can trade up for him.

I know Mavs like to trade but these are low salary players that could pop or be used in a trade to lure a big fish.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#342 » by Darren » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:17 pm

ejs78 wrote:Keep the picks and draft players that will help with the athleticism and defense.

Achiuwa
Green
Maxey
T. Bey
Williams if he falls

I know Mavs like to trade but these are low salary players that could pop or be used in a trade to lure a big fish.

I think so. The Mavs could have Michael Porter by taking Faried. But the Mavs end up with Wright and Powell. The Mavs also could have Bol Bol but opts to trade for Wright. That's ridiculous. Actually, gambling on young player win big when you've Doncic and KP around. The Mavs sorely miss athleticism and defense. Rookies in this range help tremendously. I should say DFS and Maxi impact the teams' plus/minus a lot. Both are undrafted but athletic and hardworking. If the Mavs get even more athletic and talented players from mid-1st to early-2nd. Why not? The Mavs should have paid for this kind of picks for cash every year since the hard cap. I wonder why Cuban does not do the same things since Neille's departure. This keeps the Mavs unathletic as a team. With a talented coach, the Mavs could win a lot in regular season. But in playoff, for those unexperienced veterans, elite shooters and elite defenders perform. Average talented player like Hardaway struggle. Even under pressure, truely elite shooters won't stop making shots; truely athletic defenders who's somewhat high on defensive IQ with elite wingspan and jumping ability wouldn't stop playing defense all of a sudden. This kind of players are on Mavs draft range every year. This year, this two picks could net the Mavs 2 long-term rotation piece on low-salary contract. The Mavs need to get this kind of players before Doncic's next contract to form a super team in GSW way. Not ageing Veterans like Danny Green, Al Horford and so on. Look, lakers want to trade Green. Sixers had a headache signing Horford to big money. Curry actually outperform both even if Curry is being sent to the bench.

For the same reason, I want the Mavs to trade up for Aaron Nesmith as an elite shooter / Devin Vessell as an elite defender by moving #18 with Jalen. Keep 31 to draft an athletic big fit alongside KP or potential multi-functional defender like Matrix. I have Jalen Smith or Jaden McDaniels on the list. High-ceiling but yet-to-make-it type of players. If it does work out, it's perfectly fine. We move on and find another piece on next year draft.

I also like functional players on low salary contract like 7-6 athletic freak in Tacko Fall for TWC or Yogi or speedy penetrator and deadeye shooter for veteran min. This kind of players may have trouble to fit in all system but works the magic for the Mavs for a lot of years already. I kinda think veteran presence is still important. But only 1-2 is enough. Rosters with a lot of young players will end up with veteran from good trade. The Mavs actually does not need to target ageing veteran. I am not even sure retaining Barea as a player is a good investment. I kinda think Burke could be much better option. Just trade one or both of Brunson and Wright. This creates a healthy roster. The 2nd unit offense is chaotic. We all know that all year long. The main reason is lacking the type of PG that success in P-n-R system. Burke / Yogi is just that.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#343 » by Teffer10 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:21 pm

ejs78 wrote:Keep the picks and draft players that will help with the athleticism and defense.

Achiuwa
Green
Maxey
T. Bey
Williams if he falls

I agree with you but I think Mavs are now in a situation where they will be aggressive in trading those picks for a vet that will have an immediate impact.
If the Mavs could be certain that Luka is as loyal to the organization as Dirk I think the strategy should be to grow organically and draft at #18 and #31. But Luka is clearly a big stage guy and loves the spotlight so the Mavs will need to make sure they put a team in the POs every season and continue to improve incrementally. The ramping for that is much more steep than it normally would be because Luka is already considered a superstar throughout the league and his name will come up on every board like Giannis' does now and AD was a few years ago as a potential FA signing. If Mavs don't get pieces around Luka that will make them legit contenders he could bolt or ask to be traded. The KP injury situation has added to that challenge so I personally don't see the Mavs keeping these picks unless there is absolutely no option to immediately improve the team by trading them.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#344 » by Teffer10 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:38 pm

Darren wrote:

Achiuwa
Green
Maxey
T. Bey
Williams if he falls

For the same reason, I want the Mavs to trade up for Aaron Nesmith as an elite shooter / Devin Vessell as an elite defender by moving #18 with Jalen. Keep 31 to draft an athletic big fit alongside KP or potential multi-functional defender like Matrix. I have Jalen Smith or Jaden McDaniels on the list. High-ceiling but yet-to-make-it type of players. If it does work out, it's perfectly fine. We move on and find another piece on next year draft.

I also like functional players on low salary contract like 7-6 athletic freak in Tacko Fall for TWC or Yogi or speedy penetrator and deadeye shooter for veteran min. This kind of players may have trouble to fit in all system but works the magic for the Mavs for a lot of years already. I kinda think veteran presence is still important. But only 1-2 is enough. Rosters with a lot of young players will end up with veteran from good trade. The Mavs actually does not need to target ageing veteran. I am not even sure retaining Barea as a player is a good investment. I kinda think Burke could be much better option. Just trade one or both of Brunson and Wright. This creates a healthy roster. The 2nd unit offense is chaotic. We all know that all year long. The main reason is lacking the type of PG that success in P-n-R system. Burke / Yogi is just that.

I'd love to see the Mavs move up to get Vassell because he is a perfect fit and exactly what we need but that will take both picks and probably Brunson. I'd still do it if that is what it takes.
I disagree with taking a big. Those guys are very easy to acquire in FA now that the league has changed so why waste a draft pick when many of those guys are playing in a different league or sitting at home doing nothing? Hell, some of those guys might not even get drafted and will be there as UFA's like Tacko. Look how easy it was to acquire WCS and how little he cost us.

As I mentioned before I wouldn't mind seeing the Mavs trade back because guys like Tyler Bey, Ramsey, Hampton and Green could be there in the mid-20s and they could pickup another pick in the 2nd round to possibly grab a guy like Paul Reed or Alec Pokusevski. A trade of #18/#31 to Sixers for #21/#34/#36 is something I could embrace. If we ended up with Green/Poku/Reed I'd be ecstatic.
Darren
RealGM

Post#345 » by Darren » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

I'd consider a trade for James Wiseman even if it means KP on the way out. Wiseman, Wiggins and something for KP somewhat makes sense for both team. GSW have a closing window. The same could be true for Minny. Watching Towns leave could be miserable.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#346 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:49 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

Achiuwa
Green
Maxey
T. Bey
Williams if he falls

I agree with you but I think Mavs are now in a situation where they will be aggressive in trading those picks for a vet that will have an immediate impact.
If the Mavs could be certain that Luka is as loyal to the organization as Dirk I think the strategy should be to grow organically and draft at #18 and #31. But Luka is clearly a big stage guy and loves the spotlight so the Mavs will need to make sure they put a team in the POs every season and continue to improve incrementally. The ramping for that is much more steep than it normally would be because Luka is already considered a superstar throughout the league and his name will come up on every board like Giannis' does now and AD was a few years ago as a potential FA signing. If Mavs don't get pieces around Luka that will make them legit contenders he could bolt or ask to be traded. The KP injury situation has added to that challenge so I personally don't see the Mavs keeping these picks unless there is absolutely no option to immediately improve the team by trading them.

You aren't going to get an impact player with those crappy picks so if you arent using them to dump salary which i wouldn't then you need to draft and try to get guys that can replace dfs and maxi who are the only two guys that remotely have trade value outside luka and kp. Then try to move them for a quality starter.
Darren
RealGM

Post#347 » by Darren » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:55 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Darren wrote:

Achiuwa
Green
Maxey
T. Bey
Williams if he falls

I'd love to see the Mavs move up to get Vassell because he is a perfect fit and exactly what we need but that will take both picks and probably Brunson. I'd still do it if that is what it takes.
I disagree with taking a big. Those guys are very easy to acquire in FA now that the league has changed so why waste a draft pick when many of those guys are playing in a different league or sitting at home doing nothing? Hell, some of those guys might not even get drafted and will be there as UFA's like Tacko. Look how easy it was to acquire WCS and how little he cost us.

As I mentioned before I wouldn't mind seeing the Mavs trade back because guys like Tyler Bey, Ramsey, Hampton and Green could be there in the mid-20s and they could pickup another pick in the 2nd round to possibly grab a guy like Paul Reed or Alec Pokusevski. A trade of #18/#31 to Sixers for #21/#34/#36 is something I could embrace. If we ended up with Green/Poku/Reed I'd be ecstatic.

I disagree. If the difference between Nesmith and Vessell is #31, I lane towards keeping the pick for a Matrix clone. Nesmith is easily more successful for the Mavs. The Mavs needs more Curry than Wright. That's the truth. Nesmith is not a bad defender either. Vessell is only 6-5 and not able to guard the position the Mavs short of personnel at. I'd rather have McDaniels or Bey or Xavier for #31 to fill to role. Wingspan and athetlcism matters more long-term. If neither reach full-potential, the Mavs still get a good gamble. DFS can't guard frontcourt player. That's what we already know. Pheonix has Mikal Bridge. But Miles Bridge at CHA is more successful. Miles is considered comparative better offensive player but less competitive defender. The same could be true between Vessell and Nesmith. For a truely elite defender, it's 6-8 with 7 foot wingspan and outstanding athleticism to start with. Kawhi and Giannis are both ridiculously great defender. Vessell could be good but so is ordinary player like Wes Matthews who's on the same mode with lower draft position.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#348 » by Teffer10 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Achiuwa
Green
Maxey
T. Bey
Williams if he falls

You aren't going to get an impact player with those crappy picks so if you arent using them to dump salary which i wouldn't then you need to draft and try to get guys that can replace dfs and maxi who are the only two guys that remotely have trade value outside luka and kp. Then try to move them for a quality starter.

Not sure I'm following.
Crappy picks will get you players to replace two tradeable players that will get you a quality starter.

Makes absolutely no sense.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#349 » by Teffer10 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Darren wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Darren wrote:

I disagree. If the difference between Nesmith and Vessell is #31, I lane towards keeping the pick for a Matrix clone. Nesmith is easily more successful for the Mavs. The Mavs needs more Curry than Wright. That's the truth. Nesmith is not a bad defender either. Vessell is only 6-5 and not able to guard the position the Mavs short of personnel at. I'd rather have McDaniels or Bey or Xavier for #31 to fill to role. Wingspan and athetlcism matters more long-term. If neither reach full-potential, the Mavs still get a good gamble. DFS can't guard frontcourt player. That's what we already know. Pheonix has Mikal Bridge. But Miles Bridge at CHA is more successful. Miles is considered comparative better offensive player but less competitive defender. The same could be true between Vessell and Nesmith. For a truely elite defender, it's 6-8 with 7 foot wingspan and outstanding athleticism to start with. Kawhi and Giannis are both ridiculously great defender. Vessell could be good but so is ordinary player like Wes Matthews who's on the same mode with lower draft position.

Nesmith is a guy I'd absolutely take at #18 but I wouldn't trade up for him. He is slow and very little athleticism. Decent defender and good shooter but the Mavs need more athleticism mixed with skill and a great versatile defender at the wing. Vassell checks those boxes and he is listed at 6'7 not 6'5. He is basically a better version of DFS with much more upside.

Vassell...Matrix clone
Nesmith....Wes Matthews clone
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#350 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I agree with you but I think Mavs are now in a situation where they will be aggressive in trading those picks for a vet that will have an immediate impact.

Not sure I'm following.
Crappy picks will get you players to replace two tradeable players that will get you a quality starter.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Yes because rookies are unknown but if y draft two guys that u think can fill those roles then u can trade the two
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#351 » by ejs78 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Nobody is saying these picks are going to turn into all stars but if the Mavs do their homework they can land a crucial piece or even just a role player in a cheap deal.

Josh Howard was drafted like 30

Last year Thybulle and Clarke late 1st

Robinson, Milton, Melton all 2nd

Hart, White, Anunoby all late 1st

Siakam and Murray

Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#352 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:14 pm

ejs78 wrote:Nobody is saying these picks are going to turn into all stars but if the Mavs do their homework they can land a crucial piece or even just a role player in a cheap deal.

Josh Howard was drafted like 30

Last year Thybulle and Clarke late 1st

Robinson, Milton, Melton all 2nd

Hart, White, Anunoby all late 1st

Siakam and Murray

The thing is it’s a risk. Every team is doing their homework but it’s hard to know which 19 or 20 year old will develop.

I’m more in the camp that we keep those picks and hope we land one of the two as a quality starter. But, I see the strategy to get a sure thing in a veteran. I personally would take the risk bc the upside is greater (low salary player that you have control of for the next 7-8 yrs if you’d like).
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#353 » by ejs78 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:11 pm

swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#354 » by swaggerbox » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:08 pm

desmond bane, paul reed, elijah hughes would be a good get for the mavs. doubt donnie can make it happen. if we know mavs these picks would be traded for danny green.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#355 » by ejs78 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:41 pm

swaggerbox wrote:desmond bane, paul reed, elijah hughes would be a good get for the mavs. doubt donnie can make it happen. if we know mavs these picks would be traded for danny green.

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#356 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:43 pm

#18 in this draft will have several very good players on the board. If we are worried about #18 cutting into cap space that is a stupid argument. #18 will have a cap hold of basically nothing. If we draft a good player that's more valuable to trade an undisierable contract than #18 anyway.

S.Bey, T.Bey, J.Green,Nessmith,Maxey,Jones, McDaniels,Ramsey,J.Smith, Precious, Quickly, Stewart, alot of valuable players that could be available their
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#357 » by Heezzi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:36 am

We need to get Saddiq Bey.
swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#358 » by swaggerbox » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:33 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:#18 in this draft will have several very good players on the board. If we are worried about #18 cutting into cap space that is a stupid argument. #18 will have a cap hold of basically nothing. If we draft a good player that's more valuable to trade an undisierable contract than #18 anyway.

S.Bey, T.Bey, J.Green,Nessmith,Maxey,Jones, McDaniels,Ramsey,J.Smith, Precious, Quickly, Stewart, alot of valuable players that could be available their

I agree. While this draft is not top heavy and have no surefire superstars, it is teeming with talent - probably high end role players, and so deep the difference with #10 and #30 could only be hair thin. Sometimes, I do not understand the Mavs. They clearly don't value draft picks at all and prefer to take risks signing role players to 10 million per.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#359 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:47 am

For the Mavs, the question is not who to draft but if our draftee gets minutes from Carlisle. You can draft a great defender at #18, but if he cant beat THJ or DFS our for minutes, he's just looking at playing the Ryan Broekhoff role here.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#360 » by JJP » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:15 am

arkuo wrote:For the Mavs, the question is not who to draft but if our draftee gets minutes from Carlisle. You can draft a great defender at #18, but if he cant beat THJ or DFS our for minutes, he's just looking at playing the Ryan Broekhoff role here.

I think the reality you're dealing with in the draft is "time". Can you draft anyone who can produce in the KP\Luca primetime window of time? If you draft a 19-year old, will he be giving you starter minutes in the next 2-4 years? That's a big gamble.

If not, then go strong after a trade for a veteran and include the draft pick. That's much less of a gamble if you can find the right players.

There are a lot of guys I like at #18, but they won't likely be impact players in next year's playoffs... and possibly future playoffs. If they end up drafting at 18, it will likely be because they just couldn't do anything to trade the pick on draft night.

Return to Dallas Mavericks