ImageImageImage

OT - Current Affairs/COVID/Vaccines, etc

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Re: 2020 NBA Playoff discussion 

Post#421 » by suns12345 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:50 pm

m1chal wrote:Why is this political discussion in the playoffs thread? Make a separate thread for it, not all of us are interested in American politics.

Well politics and the playoffs have been pretty closely intertwined in the last week, so thats probably why...
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 357

Post#422 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:12 pm

m1chal wrote:Why is this political discussion in the playoffs thread? Make a separate thread for it, not all of us are interested in American politics.

If you are interested in American pro sports and you are not interested in American politics, good luck not hearing about about both in any thread where American sports is talked about. American sports is saturated with politics and will be for a long time to come. I don't know how you could stand watching a game and listening to the announcers. (I barely can) Right now, talking about the NBA but not politics is a bit of an elephant in the room situation.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

NBA & BLM Politics 

Post#423 » by Wilber85 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Let's put this in its own topic so we can keep the NBA playoff discussion about the playoffs

Yes, Black lives do matter, and they always have mattered. I have yet to meet anyone that says they do not matter.

I like what the owners are doing for voting, giving back , etc. I think if Black Lives do matter, they need to add senseless murders to the list within their own communities.

-Police Brutality
-Racial Injustice
-Cleaning up our communities and valuing life

George Floyd was murdered, and a senseless act, and we see these all the time & it is horrible. We need the police to be sentenced for what happened.

I believe the NBA should have come at it differently and instead of using Jacob Blake who is a sex offender, also the morning of the encounter he sexually assaulted the girl as well.

The only thing with this case that should be mentions it that 7 shots is excessive, but also should be saying it could have been prevented if he did not fight the cops, get tased, then aggressively go to the car to retrieve a weapon.

What I would do if I had that platform: Start a non-profit (every team) within their community, and be the voice to say "do not resist arrests, if you have a case of police brutality, racial injustice, reach out to our non-profit, and we can help with legal fees, and to get justice."

That is just my two cents.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/28/this-is-why-jacob-blake-had-a-warrant-out-for-his-arrest/
Wilber85
Veteran

Post#424 » by Wilber85 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:30 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
It's almost like you're supposed to compare the people you vote for or something? Also, I'm curious if you feel the same way about all the Trump voters that exclusively voted for him because they hated Hillary in 2016 lol? Are you incapable of recognizing hypocrisy, or just self-serving?

No one acts like Biden is a world-saving candidate, but he's not the **** conman you'd like to keep in office.

Hyprocrisy>?

I am not left or right but I align more with the Republican mindset. I still do not like Trump as a person but I have made the most money this year with him in the presidency. I agree with his border policy, how high the unemployment rate was before COVID (GLOBAL PANDEMIC do not tell me BIDEN would have kept this where it was), Minority unemployment rate, how he took the most Americans off of welfare and brought a lot of jobs in the country.

I am big on veterans being a marine, and veteran unemployment was low, and veteran healthcare bill !

Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After-tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back into the U.S. in the first quarter alone.

FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history.

Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord, and Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.

Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer

Maybe turn off the Fox News man.

Making more money this year than ever before is a small sample size (you and one year). Unemployment has been going down since Obama took office. It was down when Bush entered office too, unemployment and job growth take a while to taper off, and it cyclical. The country goes back and forth from Democratic to Republican presidents. Democrats usually fix the problems in the economy that are left over from Republican presidencies and those fixes trail into the first 2 or 3 years of a Republicans presidency. It's happened this way for decades.

The tax cuts aren't a good thing for the economy or people at large. They benefit very few people and actually hurt the country. Some people have more money in their pockets, sure, but that tax money is the infrastructure to our society. Taxes suck, but they are a necessity. Having the rich pay less of their share does not help. It's a trickle-down economics farce that has been proven time and again that it just doesn't work.

Is the veteran's health bill you're referring to Veteran's Choice? Cause if so, I hate to break it to you, but that was enacted under Obama in 2014.

Pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord that almost every other advanced country is a part of isn't an achievement, it's a disgrace. But I'm guessing you're a climate change denier.

The tariffs on China have hurt Americans more than they've hurt China. Americans are paying those tariffs. Trump has a lot of nerve to talk so much **** about China and how he's so alpha-male with them, but then his MAGA hats and shirts are printed in... you guessed it, China.

Trump is 100% to blame for the Trump Virus becoming as rampant as it is currently. 180,000 Americans are dead because of his inactions/actions. Obama/Biden had a pandemic taskforce with a manual on how to handle pandemics set up, and Trump dismantled it in his first year. That worked out super well, huh? Trump divides the nation constantly, while a president should bring the country together, especially in times of crisis. I mean, even GW Bush's approval rating hit almost 90% right after 9/11. Trump's highest approval rate has been 51%, usually on the wrong side of 50%. In 3 1/2 years, he's completely destroyed relationships with America's greatest allies while lauding the leadership of countries like Russia and **** North Korea. I mean, jesus. He outright praised Chinese Uyghur camps.

You stated that it was okay that someone with a sex offender criminal record was shot in the back 7 times, even though the cops didn't know he had a warrant until after the shooting. Then you defend Trump, someone that legitimately has (IIRC at last count) 13 lawsuits filed against him for sexual abuse, including 13 year old children, with payouts for those cases. Why can you judge one person for previous things they've done when they get shot in the back, but then overlook way worse things for the **** President of the United States of America?

Biden is far from who I'd choose as a Democratic candidate, but holy hell is he lightyears better than what a Trump presidency has been. I mean... it's not even close.

Hey -

Side note: Keep blaming trump.

CDC report

121k out of 160k are 65 years and older and only 6 % of that was COVID only death while 94% was a person who had 2 + Prior diseases!

Keep blaming trump.

Bunch of cowards ruining our country because they didn't get their way. Trump is a turd for sure but our country was fine till COVID and in the same year as an election the numbers are being fabricated. This is out of hand.

Also watch my link above ^^^^^^ about Jacob Blake and his sex offending, poor character a$$

and side note: KYLE will be off and only get gun charges. Yet your side of the house executed someone in portland yesterday!

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#425 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:
Hyprocrisy>?

I am not left or right but I align more with the Republican mindset. I still do not like Trump as a person but I have made the most money this year with him in the presidency. I agree with his border policy, how high the unemployment rate was before COVID (GLOBAL PANDEMIC do not tell me BIDEN would have kept this where it was), Minority unemployment rate, how he took the most Americans off of welfare and brought a lot of jobs in the country.

I am big on veterans being a marine, and veteran unemployment was low, and veteran healthcare bill !

Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After-tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back into the U.S. in the first quarter alone.

FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history.

Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord, and Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.

Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer

Maybe turn off the Fox News man.

Making more money this year than ever before is a small sample size (you and one year). Unemployment has been going down since Obama took office. It was down when Bush entered office too, unemployment and job growth take a while to taper off, and it cyclical. The country goes back and forth from Democratic to Republican presidents. Democrats usually fix the problems in the economy that are left over from Republican presidencies and those fixes trail into the first 2 or 3 years of a Republicans presidency. It's happened this way for decades.

The tax cuts aren't a good thing for the economy or people at large. They benefit very few people and actually hurt the country. Some people have more money in their pockets, sure, but that tax money is the infrastructure to our society. Taxes suck, but they are a necessity. Having the rich pay less of their share does not help. It's a trickle-down economics farce that has been proven time and again that it just doesn't work.

Is the veteran's health bill you're referring to Veteran's Choice? Cause if so, I hate to break it to you, but that was enacted under Obama in 2014.

Pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord that almost every other advanced country is a part of isn't an achievement, it's a disgrace. But I'm guessing you're a climate change denier.

The tariffs on China have hurt Americans more than they've hurt China. Americans are paying those tariffs. Trump has a lot of nerve to talk so much **** about China and how he's so alpha-male with them, but then his MAGA hats and shirts are printed in... you guessed it, China.

Trump is 100% to blame for the Trump Virus becoming as rampant as it is currently. 180,000 Americans are dead because of his inactions/actions. Obama/Biden had a pandemic taskforce with a manual on how to handle pandemics set up, and Trump dismantled it in his first year. That worked out super well, huh? Trump divides the nation constantly, while a president should bring the country together, especially in times of crisis. I mean, even GW Bush's approval rating hit almost 90% right after 9/11. Trump's highest approval rate has been 51%, usually on the wrong side of 50%. In 3 1/2 years, he's completely destroyed relationships with America's greatest allies while lauding the leadership of countries like Russia and **** North Korea. I mean, jesus. He outright praised Chinese Uyghur camps.

You stated that it was okay that someone with a sex offender criminal record was shot in the back 7 times, even though the cops didn't know he had a warrant until after the shooting. Then you defend Trump, someone that legitimately has (IIRC at last count) 13 lawsuits filed against him for sexual abuse, including 13 year old children, with payouts for those cases. Why can you judge one person for previous things they've done when they get shot in the back, but then overlook way worse things for the **** President of the United States of America?

Biden is far from who I'd choose as a Democratic candidate, but holy hell is he lightyears better than what a Trump presidency has been. I mean... it's not even close.

Hey -

CDC report

121k out of 160k are 65 years and older and only 6 % of that was COVID only death while 94% was a person who had 2 + Prior diseases!

Keep blaming trump.

Bunch of cowards ruining our country because they didn't get their way. Trump is a turd for sure but our country was fine till COVID and in the same year as an election the numbers are being fabricated. This is out of hand.

Also watch my link above ^^^^^^ about Jacob Blake and his sex offending, poor character a$$

and side note: KYLE will be off and only get gun charges. Yet your side of the house executed someone in portland yesterday!

Quit excusing Trump. We have had FAR and way the most deaths and we could have taken control of this from the beginning, but closing everything down, wearing masks, and gotten past it quickly after a couple of months of complete closure from mid March to mid May, like NY did. NY is obviously the hardest to contain, with their international flights and density of the city, but they got it under control.

We could have 1/3 the deaths we have. All these people over 65 that you think it's fine they are dying, many could have been prevented if many careless younger people were not out contracting the virus and passing it along to them.

We STILL are at like 7K deaths a week and are probably headed to 250K by the end of the year, and that's not accounting for the possibility of a big second wave, when the eastern and northern states have to stay indoors more. With no vaccine likely until next summer, we probably have problems all the way through around Memorial Day next year.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Re: NBA & BLM Politics 

Post#426 » by bigfoot » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:05 pm

Wilber85 wrote:Let's put this in its own topic so we can keep the NBA playoff discussion about the playoffs

Yes, Black lives do matter, and they always have mattered. I have yet to meet anyone that says they do not matter.

I like what the owners are doing for voting, giving back , etc. I think if Black Lives do matter, they need to add senseless murders to the list within their own communities.

-Police Brutality
-Racial Injustice

George Floyd was murdered, and a senseless act, and we see these all the time & it is horrible. We need the police to be sentenced for what happened.

I believe the NBA should have come at it differently and instead of using Jacob Blake who is a sex offender, also the morning of the encounter he sexually assaulted the girl as well.

The only thing with this case that should be mentions it that 7 shots is excessive, but also should be saying it could have been prevented if he did not fight the cops, get tased, then aggressively go to the car to retrieve a weapon.

What I would do if I had that platform: Start a non-profit (every team) within their community, and be the voice to say "do not resist arrests, if you have a case of police brutality, racial injustice, reach out to our non-profit, and we can help with legal fees, and to get justice."

https://nypost.com/2020/08/28/this-is-why-jacob-blake-had-a-warrant-out-for-his-arrest/

I'll say your post here is mostly positive and appreciated. There are some things in it I disagree with but let's dig deeper into the part that I bolded. I'm going to assume you mean black-on-black crime when you say "senseless murders in their own communities".

Let's look at some real numbers by the FBI ... https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-6.xls

88% of victims who are Black were murdered by Blacks
80% of victims who are White were murdered by Whites
68% of victims who are Hispanic/Latino were murdered by Hispanic/Latino

To be completely transparent

2925 Blacks were murdered in 2018
2358 Whites were murdered in 2018
815 Hispanic/Latinos were murdered in 2018

Obviously all communities need to clean up their act but Blacks have worse numbers. What do you believe causes the numbers for Blacks to be worse than the other races??
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#427 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:08 pm

bigfoot wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:Let's put this in its own topic so we can keep the NBA playoff discussion about the playoffs

-Police Brutality
-Racial Injustice

I'll say your post here is mostly positive and appreciated. There are some things in it I disagree with but let's dig deeper into the part that I bolded. I'm going to assume you mean black-on-black crime when you say "senseless murders in their own communities".

Let's look at some real numbers by the FBI ... https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-6.xls

Obviously all communities need to clean up their act but Blacks have worse numbers. What do you believe causes the numbers for Blacks to be worse than the other races??

Doesn't that table show 3,315 Whites were murdered in 2018?
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#428 » by bigfoot » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:42 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

-Police Brutality
-Racial Injustice

Doesn't that table show 3,315 Whites were murdered in 2018?

No, they lump whites and Latinos together. You have to break it down by ethnicity.
Wilber85
Veteran

Post#429 » by Wilber85 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:26 am

bigfoot wrote:

-Police Brutality
-Racial Injustice

I am talking every race in their communities. If BLM really matter they would also discuss the senseless crime. Also, as a white man I hate seeing any senseless murders no matter what color your skin is..... **** is stupid. Value life
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,296

Post#430 » by sunskerr » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:45 am

Wilber85 wrote:I am talking every race in their communities. If BLM really matter they would also discuss the senseless crime. Also, as a white man I hate seeing any senseless murders no matter what color your skin is..... **** is stupid. Value life

What do you think causes this "senseless crime" though?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: OT - Current Affairs/Events/BLM/Politics/Elections 

Post#431 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:45 am

This is about police murdering Blacks. They can only do so much about people shooting one another. There needs to be gun reform to help fix or at least help that issue. It's about police brutality in general.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,296

Post#432 » by sunskerr » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:59 am

bwgood77 wrote:This is about police murdering Blacks. They can only do so much about people shooting one another. There needs to be gun reform to help fix or at least help that issue. It's about police brutality in general.

gun, police, economic, judicial, and education reform all need to be addressed to help the black community. I can't offer specifics because I'm no expert but making strides in those five areas will help poor people of all races. Black, latino, white, asian, and even native americans whom we forget about 99% of the time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#433 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:12 am

sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:This is about police murdering Blacks. They can only do so much about people shooting one another. There needs to be gun reform to help fix or at least help that issue. It's about police brutality in general.

gun, police, economic, judicial, and education reform all need to be addressed to help the black community. I can't offer specifics because I'm no expert but making strides in those five areas will help poor people of all races. Black, latino, white, asian, and even native americans whom we forget about 99% of the time.

Oh yeah, a lot of stuff needs to change....review of prison sentences, schools, and all that stuff.
Wilber85
Veteran

Post#434 » by Wilber85 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:20 am

Yeah. Do you realize only 9 unarmed African American were killed last year. It should be 0 for sure. THere needs to be justice in those cases.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,864

Post#435 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:23 am

sunskerr wrote:

Yes, this is true and all should be on the itinerary for the future. Right now, it's about tackling one problem first, police brutality. Get that in check and we all can start moving on to other issues. Part of "defunding" police is to take their bloated budgets and distribute them to places of actual need. Investing back into communities, especially those that need the most helps police. Crime is often a last resort thing. Those that have nothing have nothing to lose. Redirect funding that purchases tanks for **** police departments and put that into education and community centers. Get mental health care experts to deal with situations police can't and shouldn't be handling. "Defunding" police isn't quite the best terminology. No one is advocating for entirely dissolving police forces, just making them more efficient and less prone to violence. The police brutality part is what is sticking out now, one thing at a time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#436 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:45 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

Yes, this is true and all should be on the itinerary for the future. Right now, it's about tackling one problem first, police brutality. Get that in check and we all can start moving on to other issues. Part of "defunding" police is to take their bloated budgets and distribute them to places of actual need. Investing back into communities, especially those that need the most helps police. Crime is often a last resort thing. Those that have nothing have nothing to lose. Redirect funding that purchases tanks for **** police departments and put that into education and community centers. Get mental health care experts to deal with situations police can't and shouldn't be handling. "Defunding" police isn't quite the best terminology. No one is advocating for entirely dissolving police forces, just making them more efficient and less prone to violence. The police brutality part is what is sticking out now, one thing at a time.

Bernie had a great idea, and he doesn't think defunding police is a good idea, but thinks they should require a degree that has classes in mental health, homelessness, domestic abuse, and many of the same things that counselors have.

I do think in cities where they just give a ton of money to police for more weapons, tanks, etc, they do need to reallocate some of those funds to address issues like mental health and counseling...maybe public services that don't cost a ton to have a therapist or counselor when he deal with issues. Also, I think a huge issue is people being released from prison..all ex cons need to have a good system in place to give them opportunites not to go back to crime. And to address funding for prisons for more education, etc. And get rid of private prisons. People and businesses should not profit by having more prisoners and the ability to also use them for work in their businesses...the hard labor they get for free.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,864

Post#437 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:47 am

bwgood77 wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

Bernie had a great idea, and he doesn't think defunding police is a good idea, but thinks they should require a degree that has classes in mental health, homelessness, domestic abuse, and many of the same things that counselors have.

I do think in cities where they just give a ton of money to police for more weapons, tanks, etc, they do need to reallocate some of those funds to address issues like mental health and counseling...maybe public services that don't cost a ton to have a therapist or counselor when he deal with issues. Also, I think a huge issue is people being released from prison..all ex cons need to have a good system in place to give them opportunites not to go back to crime. And to address funding for prisons for more education, etc. And get rid of private prisons. People and businesses should not profit by having more prisoners and the ability to also use them for work in their businesses...the hard labor they get for free.

For sure, the prison industrial complex is a huge part of the problem. I've also read many articles that have investigated and found proof of white supremacist organizations infiltrating law enforcement. Those that say there's no racism in the foundations of the police force are highly ignorant. It's rooted deep and this is what it looks like when you try start trying to pull those roots out. Almost every change for the better in this country has come with violence attached to it, unfortunately. There's a breaking point where people just won't stand for it anymore, and that's what we are seeing. That being said, there hasn't been much, if any, violence outside of agitators or until the right-wingers show up with the sole intention of bringing violence. Early on in the protests it was always peaceful until the police used chemical weapons banned even in wars on their own citizens. You don't fight a call to end racism and violence in the police force by using racism and violence. It's only going to get worse until the election, as Trump has resorted to a full on campaign based on fear and division.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,641

Post#438 » by sunsbum » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:14 pm

Told you all Covid was a big fake show from day 1. Got laughed off the board.
Flex is now your father.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#439 » by cberry78 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:30 pm

sunsbum wrote:Told you all Covid was a big fake show from day 1. Got laughed off the board.

You're right. You did tell us that, then it got worse and you didn't say a damn thing. Now it's getting better, so you spout off your stupid again. Now it's going to get worse again. Thanks.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#440 » by oddity » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:57 pm

Wilber85 wrote:Hey -

CDC report

Keep blaming trump.

Don't wanna get too into politics, but dude. Our country was not "fine" till the virus hit. Right now we are paying for decades of neglect to our country's infrastructure, culture, mentality, and economy. What do I mean?

When covid first hit New Jersey, where I live, I tracked the spread of the virus in my county town-by-town and noticed a few patterns. First of all, all the cities most affected in my county (Bergen county, in North-East NJ) ran along Route 4, the highway which connected Bergen to Manhattan. Secondly, mostly low-income cities were hit hard, while high income, more spread out neighborhoods that were further displaced from NYC were hit dramatically less hard. It shows how terrible our public transportation is. Not only is our public transportation terrible, but people around where I live feel forced to use it because they can't afford a car. This also reveals just how terribly the New Jersey/New York metro area has been built, with only one north jersey entrance to the city for example. People who can't afford the outrageous tolls to cross from Jersey to New York would literally hop in strangers' cars so that the driver pays a carpool rate in exchange for a free ride. The subways are packed with people like sardines, and haven't been cleaned or properly maintained in literally 100 years. If you want to close your eyes and pretend that these gross conditions didn't contribute to the spread of the virus in New York, the hardest hit region of the country, go ahead.

I just feel like our country has been lacking in empathy, especially when it comes to money. Small little divides in income over time only spread out into deep wealth divides that meaningfully hurt everyone but the wealthiest. There's this mentality that that's earned, like if you don't make enough money you just aren't working hard, but now there are so many barriers like degrees that are in the way for most Americans. Student debt cripples young adults into their late 30s. More people are renting than ever before, which, again, really only helps the wealthy. And it's all me-me-me too. America has become so libertarian and hyper-individualistic and hyper competitive that it doesn't feel like there is this mutual love and respect for our fellow Americans. Only in America do black friday sales make people trample each other like a herd of freaking cows. Only in America do people go to a supermarket in the middle of a pandemic and literally fight each other over excessive unnecessary amounts of paper towels and toilet paper. We all seem to love money and hate people, and it **** shows.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...

Return to Phoenix Suns