ImageImageImage

Why are we so "In" on max cap for next summer?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Why are we so "In" on max cap for next summer? 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:07 pm

Simple question, seems like every trade proposed guys shoot it down if it involves salary for 21. Looks like the best bets are Hayward or holiday and neither of guys are worth max money.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Re: Why are we so "In" on max cap for next summer? 

Post#2 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:27 pm

It’s a fair question. When the whole league is trying to zig, there’s huge leverage in zagging and creating leverage.

For me, I’m not completely against taking on salary for the right player. I’m more in the camp that I don’t want us to make a short sided move that risks our long-term. The fact is we don’t have many assets to get a long-term solution I’d be on board with.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#3 » by ejs78 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:50 pm

Exactly please no short sided moves.

I live in Detroit and the list goes on and on of short sided moves made by the Pistons..... Blake Griffin for starters.

Pointguard01 wrote:It’s a fair question. When the whole league is trying to zig, there’s huge leverage in zagging and creating leverage.

For me, I’m not completely against taking on salary for the right player. I’m more in the camp that I don’t want us to make a short sided move that risks our long-term. The fact is we don’t have many assets to get a long-term solution I’d be on board with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Pinkyring
RealGM

Re: Why are we so 

Post#4 » by Pinkyring » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:19 pm

ejs78 wrote:Exactly please no short sided moves.

I live in Detroit and the list goes on and on of short sided moves made by the Pistons..... Blake Griffin for starters.

Pointguard01 wrote:It’s a fair question. When the whole league is trying to zig, there’s huge leverage in zagging and creating leverage.

I dont think blake was a short sided they just didn't pieces with him, he and Drummond weren't enough and they had nothing else
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#5 » by ejs78 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:01 pm

Pinkyring wrote:

I dont think blake was a short sided they just didn't pieces with him, he and Drummond weren't enough and they had nothing else
If he and Drummond keep you on the treadmill of mediocrity you don't trade for him. Hes making 35+ million, always injured, and on the wrong side of 30. The move was made by SVG to keep his save his job and well we all know where Detroit is now

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#6 » by dirkforpres » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:31 am

Because a chance at Giannis... even a small chance, is something you have to go all in on. A team with Giannis and Luka wins at least 5 rings
FIRE JASON KIDD
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#7 » by Pinkyring » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:01 am

dirkforpres wrote:Because a chance at Giannis... even a small chance, is something you have to go all in on. A team with Giannis and Luka wins at least 5 rings

So if giannis signs his supermax this summer are you willing to change course
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#8 » by dirkforpres » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:29 am

Pinkyring wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Because a chance at Giannis... even a small chance, is something you have to go all in on. A team with Giannis and Luka wins at least 5 rings

So if giannis signs his supermax this summer are you willing to change course

Absolutely.
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#9 » by fuller4379 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:37 am

Will we even have a lot of cap space? Cap is going down.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#10 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:10 am

We dont have max cap space this summer.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#11 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:13 am

Exactly. Also even if you don’t get Giannis you are in position to go after another top FA in a deep FA class. Worst case scenario and Mavs can’t land any of the top FA they would still be in position to take on players in a salary dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#12 » by swaggerbox » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:47 am

Is Chandler Parsons already retired? Maybe we can hire him to sign all the top FAs next summer
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#13 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:51 am

Pinkyring wrote:

Detroit not a great comparison. They traded for an aging All-Star at the end of his prime without another star next to him. That’s not our situation.

The better example would be New Orleans in Anthony Davis. They made tons of short-aided moves to make the team incrementally better that season instead of building a long-term powerhouse. That is what I don’t want. If there is a good fit for the next 3-4 years, make it. But, i’m not on board for someone aging or going all in with the few assets we have left.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,539

Post#14 » by jpengland » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:10 pm

Mr B wrote:

Exactly. Also even if you don’t get Giannis you are in position to go after another top FA in a deep FA class. Worst case scenario and Mavs can’t land any of the top FA they would still be in position to take on players in a salary dump.

Spot on.

Giannis, Holiday, possibly AD, Oladipo etc. There are a number of targets past Giannis.

If we strike out on them, well we have flexibility to add two or three guys on smaller deals, or take on some deals to give us future trade flexibility.

Just because this year put us a year or two ahead of schedule doesn't mean you rush things. Luka is incredibly young. Short termism hurts more than patience and landing something truly exciting.

Next years goal should be a 5 or 6 seed and 2nd round. You can get there with a couple of roster tweaks to add some perimeter D.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#15 » by fuller4379 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:37 pm

arkuo wrote:We dont have max cap space this summer.

He is saying max cap space in 2021 when THJ comes off. Right now the Mavs are at around $84 million for 2021-22. Unless the fans are allowed back in the seats for the 2020-21 season, the cap will drop.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#16 » by Darren » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:28 pm

The Mavs want to land a third star while Doncic is still on rookie contract. That's the way GSW wins it all. Both Curry and Thompson is on the small contract. All of a sudden, GSW gets a big 4 starter with a depth bench. Surely, Doncic and KP is attractive enough. Not sure Giannis will bite. But something could be worked out. For example, Gobert could change the game significantly. So is Isaac who's rumored to miss the entire 2020/21 season on qualified offer. As an UFA, Isaac can sign anywhere. I can really see the Mavs jump on the talent. Isaac is a ridiculous athletic freak with excellent defense and could guard multiple positions. So is Ntilikina who's mutual interest with the Mavs and might be Mid-level candidate. I think this is a good reason to set target high in 2021 offseason. But, don't forget that nearly all team do not same things, if the Mavs do the opposite by taking on contracts to gather a couple of young promising players, it is also an excellent way to do the business. If the Mavs spend the picks just to unload contracts, it is too much for a gamble, I agree.

If the Mavs gets Jerami Grant, Malik Beasley, Derrick Jones on mid-level contract, the Mavs should still do it regardless the cap space. Those players are easily starter under 25 and on good terms.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#17 » by jpengland » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:27 pm

Darren wrote:The Mavs want to land a third star while Doncic is still on rookie contract. That's the way GSW wins it all. Both Curry and Thompson is on the small contract. All of a sudden, GSW gets a big 4 starter with a depth bench. Surely, Doncic and KP is attractive enough. Not sure Giannis will bite. But something could be worked out. For example, Gobert could change the game significantly. So is Isaac who's rumored to miss the entire 2020/21 season on qualified offer. As an UFA, Isaac can sign anywhere. I can really see the Mavs jump on the talent. Isaac is a ridiculous athletic freak with excellent defense and could guard multiple positions. So is Ntilikina who's mutual interest with the Mavs and might be Mid-level candidate. I think this is a good reason to set target high in 2021 offseason. But, don't forget that nearly all team do not same things, if the Mavs do the opposite by taking on contracts to gather a couple of young promising players, it is also an excellent way to do the business. If the Mavs spend the picks just to unload contracts, it is too much for a gamble, I agree.

If the Mavs gets Jerami Grant, Malik Beasley, Derrick Jones on mid-level contract, the Mavs should still do it regardless the cap space. Those players are easily starter under 25 and on good terms.

Beasley, Grant and Jones level players are available every offseason.

Unless you have a way to create the space easily again next summer, you don't risk missing Giannis for Jerami Grant.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#18 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:34 pm

I also still think we might see a lot of the guys that are free agents this off season take 1 year deals. There are several teams with cap space in 2021 and it might be best for a guy like Ibaka (just an example) to take a 1 year deal in order to be a UFA in 2021. When all is said and done I think the 2021 FA class is going to be deeper than it is now.

jpengland
Head Coach

Post#19 » by jpengland » Tue Sep 1, 2020 6:29 pm

Mr B wrote:I also still think we might see a lot of the guys that are free agents this off season take 1 year deals. There are several teams with cap space in 2021 and it might be best for a guy like Ibaka (just an example) to take a 1 year deal in order to be a UFA in 2021. When all is said and done I think the 2021 FA class is going to be deeper than it is now.

I think we see the opposite with older guys like Ibaka.

With Covid and impacts on revenue, players have no guarantee the cap won't dip. Those guys over 30, or approaching will likely lock in to the longest deals possible.
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#20 » by Pointguard01 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:34 am

jpengland wrote:
Mr B wrote:I also still think we might see a lot of the guys that are free agents this off season take 1 year deals. There are several teams with cap space in 2021 and it might be best for a guy like Ibaka (just an example) to take a 1 year deal in order to be a UFA in 2021. When all is said and done I think the 2021 FA class is going to be deeper than it is now.

I think we see the opposite with older guys like Ibaka.

With Covid and impacts on revenue, players have no guarantee the cap won't dip. Those guys over 30, or approaching will likely lock in to the longest deals possible.

Yeah this is the great question. Apparently the league considering some kind of stipulation bc of Covid to course correct. They don’t want another 2016 cap spike, and will try to smooth it over.

i’m very interested to see what they do.

Return to Dallas Mavericks