Locker Room Issues?

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Locker Room Issues? 

Post#1 » by Moooose » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:33 am

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/justin-holiday-unhappy-in-pacers/

I can't seem to find the direct link to this tweet, found this on Hoopshype.

I find it surprising that someone would complain about the Pacers' locker room. I believe we have one of the best locker rooms from last season and some seasons ago. We had a happy bunch and this somehow validates that things aren't the same.

I don't know if it is just me, but I think Vic too, has changed. I've been following his channel since the recovery and there seems like a decline in enthusiasm. He's not the same guy who seemed to overly love the city from a year ago. Correct me if I am wrong, but his "this is my city" antics (his gesture with his hands) had not happened at all this season. If he ever did, well I can't recall at all.

I am not saying that the problem is with Vic. But he's the leader of that locker room.

On Justin Holiday, well I definitely want him back in Indiana. And I hope this issue doesn't affect Aaron.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Re: Locker Room Issues? 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:50 pm

Moooose wrote:https://hoopshype.com/rumor/justin-holiday-unhappy-in-pacers/

I can't seem to find the direct link to this tweet, found this on Hoopshype.

I find it surprising that someone would complain about the Pacers' locker room. I believe we have one of the best locker rooms from last season and some seasons ago. We had a happy bunch and this somehow validates that things aren't the same.

I don't know if it is just me, but I think Vic too, has changed. I've been following his channel since the recovery and there seems like a decline in enthusiasm. He's not the same guy who seemed to overly love the city from a year ago. Correct me if I am wrong, but his "this is my city" antics (his gesture with his hands) had not happened at all this season. If he ever did, well I can't recall at all.

I am not saying that the problem is with Vic. But he's the leader of that locker room.

On Justin Holiday, well I definitely want him back in Indiana. And I hope this issue doesn't affect Aaron.

I've seen a couple people (J.Michael, C.Cooper, and S.Agness all reference that there were rumors that the locker room had some issues). By all accounts in the past we had a great locker room, but Thad was always mentioned as a leader in that department. Could be one of those things where the locker room dropped off, and it was noticeable, simply because we had such a great locker room, but that we may not have a bad locker room. Sometimes, these things just take time.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#3 » by Tom White » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:48 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I've seen a couple people (J.Michael, C.Cooper, and S.Agness all reference that there were rumors that the locker room had some issues).

What is the possibility they are all just "parroting" each other? A circle-jerk of quotes, if you will?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#4 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:51 pm

Here is the link to the long podcast with JMichael talking about the issue. The link is from another thread here.

boomershadow wrote:I listened to this. Lots and lots of good info with J. Michael. Talks about the McMillan firing. Candidates for the job. Roster fit. Potential trades going forward. Locker room stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5yAEoSimDfY7q9EdFAkLGs

He clearly says that Brogdon and JHolla were upset at two players who didn't take responsibility for their defensive mistakes. no names are mentioned. I've heard that JHolla has tweeted a denial, but I didn't see that tweet. what I don't know is whether this was a long term problem or just frustration after being swept. clearly the 3 point defense was unacceptable. how much was scheme and how much was effort (or talent) is something that we'll only be able to judge with new coaches.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#5 » by Topofthekey » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Could be Vic indeed

I think he was the one primarily guarding Duncan Robinson in Game 2 where Robinson exploded for 24 points?

And Nate put Justin Holiday into the starting lineup in the subsequent game in order to guard Duncan Robinson

So perhaps Vic got called out after game 2, but for whatever reason (pride, stubbornness, frustration?) he wouldn't take accountability for it, and Nate had to adjust by tasking Justin with guarding Robinson?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:07 pm

Topofthekey wrote:So perhaps Vic got called out after game 2, but for whatever reason (pride, stubbornness, frustration?) he wouldn't take accountability for it, and Nate had to adjust by tasking Justin with guarding Robinson?

It might not even be an after the game issue, I can easily imagine the players talking to each other at time outs and expecting more responsibility. we're told that both Brogdon and JHolla were upset. I think that eliminates AHoliday as a player they were unhappy with as I think the brothers would keep that at home.

does anyone remember Vic making a "my bad" gesture after a Miami 3 or one of his many turn overs?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:39 pm

I haven't found the presser live online but twitter is full of quotes. Here's one

Read on Twitter
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#8 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:42 pm

If it is true I have zero doubt Vic is the issue. Body language and everything sucked. Pissed me off on my couch so I'm sure the other guys there were not fans.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#9 » by Topofthekey » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:52 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:So perhaps Vic got called out after game 2, but for whatever reason (pride, stubbornness, frustration?) he wouldn't take accountability for it, and Nate had to adjust by tasking Justin with guarding Robinson?

It might not even be an after the game issue, I can easily imagine the players talking to each other at time outs and expecting more responsibility. we're told that both Brogdon and JHolla were upset. I think that eliminates AHoliday as a player they were unhappy with as I think the brothers would keep that at home.

does anyone remember Vic making a "my bad" gesture after a Miami 3 or one of his many turn overs?

We can probably eliminate Domas from the list as well, since he wasn't even playing. Unless this is something that has been brewing all season (unlikely though)

If we can eliminate Domas that way, then we can probably eliminate Doug, TJM, Sumner, and Goga as well, since they barely played in the playoffs (unless Brogdon and Justin were just trying to vent their frustration on someone/anyone - seems unlikely?)

So really the pool is now down to just Myles, Warren, Vic, and Sampson

Sad to say, it looks like it's Myles and Vic
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:09 pm

Topofthekey wrote:So really the pool is now down to just Myles, Warren, Vic, and Sampson

Sad to say, it looks like it's Myles and Vic

if your eliminations are right, I'd go Warren and Vic. Myles got his blocks and the defense didn't call for him to switch onto wings. plus, Butler gave Warren fits - but he gives everyone fits. if indeed it is Warren, I think he can be coashed up. if it is Vic, I'm less certain.
Moooose
Starter

Post#11 » by Moooose » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:22 pm

Been trying to search for this in the Athletic, but to no avail. Can anyone confirm the source?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:27 pm

Moooose wrote:Image

Been trying to search for this in the Athletic, but to no avail. Can anyone confirm the source?

Ugh. It’s a really bad misread of it. Sam Amick wrote offhand “rumors swirled that Oladipo may not look to re-sign” but it has absolutely no mention of who heard the rumors or anything at all.

It was the lightest of statements and it read like something added in by a reporter that was asked to write the Indy opinion simply because the Indy guy was laid off and no one else knows Indy.
Moooose
Starter

Post#13 » by Moooose » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Ugh. It’s a really bad misread of it. Sam Amick wrote offhand “rumors swirled that Oladipo may not look to re-sign” but it has absolutely no mention of who heard the rumors or anything at all.

It was the lightest of statements and it read like something added in by a reporter that was asked to write the Indy opinion simply because the Indy guy was laid off and no one else knows Indy.

Thanks, Scoot. Was skeptical about it. If this is true then I'd probably heard from other sources already.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#14 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:37 pm

Sadly I think that Vic is becoming PG 2.0. Doesn't want to be here.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#15 » by boomershadow » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:10 pm

Wizop wrote:I haven't found the presser live online but twitter is full of quotes. Here's one

Read on Twitter

https://www.facebook.com/pacers/posts/10158817091277996
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#16 » by pacers33granger » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:12 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I'd be willing to go e Amick the benefit of the doubt if he didn't tweet out a vague reference to it. Clearly was to get clicks. I think we've now both pointed out in several places that it has zero substance and is no different than someone on here speculating.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#17 » by pacers33granger » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:13 pm

As for the Holiday stuff, he refuted that he was unhappy and didn't want to come back on Twitter. Idk if that means anything as far as locker room issues but I think we need to take a lot of these reports with a grain of salt given the current situation.
Moooose
Starter

Post#19 » by Moooose » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:23 pm

pacers33granger wrote:As for the Holiday stuff, he refuted that he was unhappy and didn't want to come back on Twitter. Idk if that means anything as far as locker room issues but I think we need to take a lot of these reports with a grain of salt given the current situation.

Well, it was mentioned in the tweet that "the locker room is not a happy place". I don't know if that came from Justin himself or from J. Michael. Whatever it is, I find it surprising for it to come from a player like Justin.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:38 pm

Moooose wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:As for the Holiday stuff, he refuted that he was unhappy and didn't want to come back on Twitter. Idk if that means anything as far as locker room issues but I think we need to take a lot of these reports with a grain of salt given the current situation.

Well, it was mentioned in the tweet that "the locker room is not a happy place". I don't know if that came from Justin himself or from J. Michael. Whatever it is, I find it surprising for it to come from a player like Justin.

I think it was two separate things. J.Michael referenced that it want the same locker room and then a sentence or two later, said something along the lines of the Pacers want justin back But does Justin want to be back with those issues. I don’t think Justin was ever ascribed to the quote, but it came off that way and J.Michael seemed to apologize and clarify later. I think Justin deleted his tweet after that.

Return to Indiana Pacers