And1: 23,508

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#361 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:41 am

stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

So skinny and agile

I dont know why he tried to add bulk.

Was he trying to be shaq?

Did he developed bad habits in taking care of his body?

Natural aging? What is his real age? 43? Hahaha
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,110

Post#362 » by eyeatoma » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:15 am

76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

So skinny and agile

I dont know why he tried to add bulk.

Was he trying to be shaq?

Did he developed bad habits in taking care of his body?

Natural aging? What is his real age? 43? Hahaha
He is literally the same weight in this video as he is now. This is after he added bulk. You want skinny Embiid you need to go back to his Kansas days.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#363 » by VDT » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 am

Yea he is similar weight now. Maybe a little more since most players add mass compared to when they were 21. You cant just compare the workout with the game for obvious reasons. In the game there are actually opponents that try to stop him and he is much more tired compared to the workout. Even then you could compile some highlights from the actual games and get a similar video.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#364 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:09 pm

Embiid has had bad advice through his career, he has been told that he need to be Shaq 2.0, that he needs to play bully ball and so to bulk up. He is more of a dinosaur now than he was some years ago.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#365 » by Negrodamus » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:42 pm

But is Embiid a dinosaur?
Magic beans
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#366 » by Magic beans » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Negrodamus wrote:But is Embiid a dinosaur?

The way the league has evolved dictates that he is. But if Jo is a dinosaur then what is Okafor?
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,489

Post#367 » by elchengue20 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 pm

I never really undestood the Shaq comparison. As big and strong Embiid is Shaq was on another level, he was an absolute monster.

Embiid is more skilled, he should try to be more like Olajuwon than Shaq. He needs to slim down a bit and be more agile/mobile.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#368 » by Kobblehead » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:48 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Embiid has had bad advice through his career, he has been told that he need to be Shaq 2.0, that he needs to play bully ball and so to bulk up. He is more of a dinosaur now than he was some years ago.

I don't think anyone told Embiid to bulk up. That's just something that happened due to his lack of nutritional discipline. Through the Colangelo twitter controversy, I think we learned that people in the organization were not very happy with Embiid's commitment to injury rehabilitation, nutrition, or conditioning.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#369 » by kuclas » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:34 pm

What is this talk embiid is a dinosaur. Dinosaur centers are

1. centers shoot less than 70% or less from free throw line.
2. Centers who can’t shoot beyond 15 feet.

I guess people on these boards prefer 6 foot 8/9 centers who can switch defenders. Shoot horrible from the outside like
Bam A of the heat. Hustle players be opportunistic and get 15-18 points a game.

But guess what. When bam faces embiid. Miami has to protect him like crazy. Cause he’s not capable of guarding embiid. For all the talk of the modern day centers. The modern day centers can’t handle the modern day embiid. Myles turner? Nope. Can’t handle embiid. KAT. Nope. He can’t handle embiid or any other defended. Jokic? I guess. He’s on par with embiid. Gobert?

So what exactly do you want in a modern day center?
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#370 » by VDT » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:44 pm

You cant run the offense through Embiid all the time simply because he is just an ok passer. He can average something like 3-4 assists (btw he averaged only 1.2 in the playoffs this year which is a problem) but you need another guy to run the offense and create. He is like the center version of Durant/Kawhi. An iso scorer that is not very good passer and needs another guy to run the offense. It's not the end of the world by itself. The issue of course is whether Embiid's scoring is as resilient in the postseason as these guys'. If not, his offensive value is not that high.

His defensive value will depend on the opposing team. If it is a largely perimeter oriented team it will be on the wings to carry the defensive load, against big teams like the Raptors last year, the Bucks or the Lakers he can have great defensive impact imo.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,110

Post#371 » by eyeatoma » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:48 pm

kuclas wrote:What is this talk embiid is a dinosaur. Dinosaur centers are

1. centers shoot less than 70% or less from free throw line.
2. Centers who can’t shoot beyond 15 feet.

I guess people on these boards prefer 6 foot 8/9 centers who can switch defenders. Shoot horrible from the outside like
Bam A of the heat. Hustle players be opportunistic and get 15-18 points a game.

But guess what. When bam faces embiid. Miami has to protect him like crazy. Cause he’s not capable of guarding embiid. For all the talk of the modern day centers. The modern day centers can’t handle the modern day embiid. Myles turner? Nope. Can’t handle embiid. KAT. Nope. He can’t handle embiid or any other defended. Jokic? I guess. He’s on par with embiid. Gobert?

So what exactly do you want in a modern day center?

+1 a thousand times. People forget how dominant Jo is. He put up ridiculous numbers this series. Yes his defence could be better, and I believe if Simmons was there, and we had better players around them, Jo would give a damn and work his ass off on defence. Jo's lack of commitment is a testament to how poorly a job this team has done in building around him. At some point he lost his passion to put it all on the line, knowing that in the end the team would fail him, because they just can't hit shots. It's not the best mentality, but give Embiid a team built around him, and watch how different and committed a player he becomes. Embiid is not a dinosaur. The league changed this way, because people like him are once in a generation, and they haven't seen his ilk since the 90s and 2000s. The league had to become what it did today, because there weren't any big men to revolve an offence around. I don't think the offence should necessarily be fully around him. But it could work, if there were players that would make you pay for being doubled.

So no, he's not a dinosaur. If he gets traded to a team that has a semblance of rational in team building, we will be watching him hoist a championship trophy.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#372 » by Kobblehead » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:09 am

When people refer to Embiid as a dinosaur, they're moreso talking about the offense, itself, that's being run through a player that cannot score off the dribble being antiquated. Which is true, IMO.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#373 » by kuclas » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:10 am

VDT wrote:You cant run the offense through Embiid all the time simply because he is just an ok passer. He can average something like 3-4 assists (btw he averaged only 1.2 in the playoffs this year which is a problem) but you need another guy to run the offense and create. He is like the center version of Durant/Kawhi. An iso scorer that is not very good passer and needs another guy to run the offense. It's not the end of the world by itself. The issue of course is whether Embiid's scoring is as resilient in the postseason as these guys'. If not, his offensive value is not that high.

His defensive value will depend on the opposing team. If it is a largely perimeter oriented team it will be on the wings to carry the defensive load, against big teams like the Raptors last year, the Bucks or the Lakers he can have great defensive impact imo.

The offensive game plan vs Boston was created due to a lack of half court ball creators. Brad Stevens knows the sixers weakness and strengths. He basically let embiid do what he wanted and concentrated on covering the sixers perimeter players. Sixers just do not have enough ball creators. Sure it was a sweep. But games 1/3 were winnable games in the last 90 seconds. And game 4 was back and forth till Harris was injured late in the 3rd and the sixers just lost focus.

But you are right and I posted before the series to watch for embiid assist rate. I was expecting him to get 5 assists plus per game and he simply didn’t get it done. He has tunnel vision. Missed a bunch of open players. For a center to get doubled as much as him and barely average 1 assist. That’s bad.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#374 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:34 am

Kobblehead wrote:When people refer to Embiid as a dinosaur, they're moreso talking about the offense, itself, that's being run through a player that cannot score off the dribble being antiquated. Which is true, IMO.

A player like Embiid is perfectly fine to have, IF he can defend like he did years ago. This iteration of Embiid, the one that showed against boston, is just a player that scores many points but kills ball movement on offense, and doesn't do much on defense.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,735

Post#375 » by phillynative » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:43 pm

Embiid is a special player but he still has some growing to do. It didnt help that they did not build around him the right way.
TeamHigh
Junior
And1: 173

Post#376 » by TeamHigh » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:07 pm

It's so bizarre to me when people suggest bigs are antiquated or that Embiid is a "dinosaur."

You don't double team dinosaurs. If he was so antiquated you let him go 1 on 1 and get his because he can't beat you with his offense a la Okafor or DeRozan. It's not his fault his teammates can't consistently create offense around him when they play 4 on 3.

He needs to become a better playmaker out of the post, but who's the best halfcourt creator he's partnered with in his career? Alec Burks? TJ McConnell? Josh Richardson? He's been surrounded by people who can't break down players off the dribble. Hell, he's been surrounded by players who can't even punish closeouts.

As for this argument that it's a guard league, who's the best big that's not in the playoffs? Cause there's plenty of guards not there. Where's Devin Booker? Where's Trae Young? Where's Bradley Beal? Where's Zach Lavine? Where's DeAaron Fox? Where was LeBron last year in LA without AD?

Pretty much all these guards putting up huge numbers have good bigs. Mitchell has Gobert. Murray has Jokic. Lillard/McCollum has Nurkic. LeBron has AD. Butler has Bam.

Harden is the exception to the rule. Even guys like Kawhi function in an offense with other good wing players to compensate for the lack of strong bigs. Boston is the same formula. They aren't surrounding Tatum with mediocre players.

Where are the teams with **** bigs? They're fishing at home. The fact that we have so many guards lighting it up is a function of having so many more good guards than good bigs.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#377 » by 76ciology » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:33 am

Lol this was fun
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,461

Post#378 » by youngcrev » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:07 am

I think Jo said Josh is the guy he hangs out most with on the team. I wonder where Richardson will be playing next year since that's usually a death blow (and also, it does kind of make sense to trade him given his contract and our salary constraints going forward)
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,348

Post#379 » by D.Brasco » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:58 am

Read on Twitter
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,735

Post#380 » by phillynative » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:47 am

D.Brasco wrote: