ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#781 » by kg01 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm

azuresou1 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Read on Twitter

Travel

Haha, basically.

I heard a guy say something on prospects that's salient w.r.t. Wiseman. He said that you shouldn't judge a guy based on flashes unless you can be assured that the flash will become "regular". Wiseman shows a lot of flashes but it's debatable whether or not they become sustainable plays. Most likely, he'll be closer to Javale Mcgee than David Robinson. Not horrible. That's a useful player but I'm not holding my breath he'll be the Bosh clone folks are projecting.
king01 :king:
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#782 » by King Ken » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:58 pm

KG, his shooting form is wack and unorthodox but he can get his shot off. I am not seeing it as a weakness, more so a red flag. We seen guys with unorthodox shots become good NBA shooters. The Matrix and Reggie Miller for example
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#783 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:15 pm

King Ken wrote:KG, his shooting form is wack and unorthodox but he can get his shot off. I am not seeing it as a weakness, more so a red flag. We seen guys with unorthodox shots become good NBA shooters. The Matrix and Reggie Miller for example

I place his prospects at being an average NBA shooter at the peak of his career at about 1%. That form can't be overcome.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#784 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:17 pm

kg01 wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Read on Twitter

Travel

Haha, basically.

I heard a guy say something on prospects that's salient w.r.t. Wiseman. He said that you shouldn't judge a guy based on flashes unless you can be assured that the flash will become "regular". Wiseman shows a lot of flashes but it's debatable whether or not they become sustainable plays. Most likely, he'll be closer to Javale Mcgee than David Robinson. Not horrible. That's a useful player but I'm not holding my breath he'll be the Bosh clone folks are projecting.

By no means looks like an NBA traveling call to me. Very nice move. Might take a while to be able to consistently pull it off at the NBA level though. You guys fortunately don't need to worry about it because he won't be available at 6.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#785 » by King Ken » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
King Ken wrote:KG, his shooting form is wack and unorthodox but he can get his shot off. I am not seeing it as a weakness, more so a red flag. We seen guys with unorthodox shots become good NBA shooters. The Matrix and Reggie Miller for example

I place his prospects at being an average NBA shooter at the peak of his career at about 1%. That form can't be overcome.

I'll have to disagree on that one
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#786 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:07 pm

King Ken wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I'll have to disagree on that one

That's cool. I admit to being a bit of a hater when it comes to Ball and it's half his dad's fault. I'll up it to 5% chance and that's being fully honest.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#787 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:53 pm

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#788 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:04 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jalen is #1 on my board. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up like Kawhi, Paul George, Gerald Wallace, Giannis, Bam Adebayo, in that he is an elite defensive player who gets drafted in the mid first round, but ends up being an all star 5 years down the line.

I hope the Hawks trade down in the draft, but I have no problem in drafting Smith at #6.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#789 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:35 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Jalen is #1 on my board. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up like Kawhi, Paul George, Gerald Wallace, Giannis, Bam Adebayo, in that he is an elite defensive player who gets drafted in the mid first round, but ends up being an all star 5 years down the line.

I hope the Hawks trade down in the draft, but I have no problem in drafting Smith at #6.

I actually posted that vid with you in mind. You have indeed been singing his praises for months now...and he's risen up draftg boards just like you said.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#790 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Sep 1, 2020 10:30 am

I really like Tyrese Haliburton for you. Many NBA teams have two playmakers in the backcourt. He's not able to get to his spots and has some limitations in that regard but Young can so they're compatible. Haliburton enhances playmaking while adding perimeter defense, something Trae lacks. Haliburton is a 2-way player, range shooter and playmaker.

Young
Haliburton
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man - Reddish

Solid young playoff team.
It has been written...
King Ken
General Manager

Post#791 » by King Ken » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:30 am

MasterIchiro wrote:I really like Tyrese Haliburton for you. Many NBA teams have two playmakers in the backcourt. He's not able to get to his spots and has some limitations in that regard but Young can so they're compatible. Haliburton enhances playmaking while adding perimeter defense, something Trae lacks. Haliburton is a 2-way player, range shooter and playmaker.

Young
Haliburton
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man - Reddish

Lol, this ain't it chief. Nothing irks me more than comments like this. It shows a lack of awareness. You really think a 6'5 175 PG is going to overtake Cam Reddish and Kevin Huerter as a SG? Then you are out of your mfing mind. It always irks me around this time of the year how overblown these prospects can get over proven kids who can hoop. That's not to take away from any of them, just let's be realistic. It will take Hali a year to adjust to the NBA off guard spot. Cam is already ready and vastly improving. Kevin is always decent and improving. This simply ain't it.

Hawks really should be taking the best player for both short and long term. I am not sure Haliburton is that for the Hawks. I'll take my chances with guys like Toppin, Deni, Okongwu, Okoro, or one of the kids like Edwards, Ball, or Wiseman.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#792 » by King Ken » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:33 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jalen is #1 on my board. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up like Kawhi, Paul George, Gerald Wallace, Giannis, Bam Adebayo, in that he is an elite defensive player who gets drafted in the mid first round, but ends up being an all star 5 years down the line.

Maryland prospects of late are always NBA skill wise ready but they always are lacking in several areas once they land on their teams. That goes for the ones we picked, Layman, and others. He's not really someone I have in the top 10. He is pretty raw as well like most Maryland guys. I'll pass
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#793 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:35 pm

Still really like Haliburton. Hawks need to add more 2-way players like Hunter. At 6, I don't see a game-changer. And I hate the idea of Okongwu with Capela there. Maybe Reddish is the starting SG or Huerter and maybe Haliburton needs one year of adjustment as an off guard but teams that build on a backcourt of playmakers are ahead of the curve. Young is really the only playmaker on the Hawks. I prefer Avdija for you guys 100% but he won't be there at 6 I don't think. I think he's gone anywhere from 2 to 4 and certainly he won't fall past the Cavs.
It has been written...
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#794 » by jayu70 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:57 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:I really like Tyrese Haliburton for you. Many NBA teams have two playmakers in the backcourt. He's not able to get to his spots and has some limitations in that regard but Young can so they're compatible. Haliburton enhances playmaking while adding perimeter defense, something Trae lacks. Haliburton is a 2-way player, range shooter and playmaker.

Young
Haliburton
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man - Reddish

Hali won't start. We have Huerter and Reddish.
These are my 4 (in no order):
Hali - Hawks need another ball handler and backup PG to play behind Trae but can also play with him as needed.
Okoro - Hawks are really bad defensively, he's good driving to the basket and scoring but his jumper needs a ton of work
Okungwu - PF/C with defense, he can learn a year behind Capela and Dedmon, take over as backup behind Capela next year when Dedmon is gone.
Deni - I like his ability to play both SF/PF, his ball handling and playmaking for himself or others is something we don't have at this position.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#795 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:50 pm

King Ken wrote:

Young
Haliburton
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man - Reddish

Lol, this ain't it chief. Nothing irks me more than comments like this. It shows a lack of awareness. You really think a 6'5 175 PG is going to overtake Cam Reddish and Kevin Huerter as a SG? Then you are out of your mfing mind. It always irks me around this time of the year how overblown these prospects can get over proven kids who can hoop. That's not to take away from any of them, just let's be realistic. It will take Hali a year to adjust to the NBA off guard spot. Cam is already ready and vastly improving. Kevin is always decent and improving. This simply ain't it.

Hawks really should be taking the best player for both short and long term. I am not sure Haliburton is that for the Hawks. I'll take my chances with guys like Toppin, Deni, Okongwu, Okoro, or one of the kids like Edwards, Ball, or Wiseman.

Ken, you killing me lol :lol:

You right though
jayu70
RealGM

Post#796 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:46 pm

How to Spot an NBA Draft Bust

22-Year-Old Cutoff for Lottery Picks

History warns against using a lottery pick on players who've turned 22 years old.

The Late Riser

Low-Assist Wings

Low-Block Bigs

No Bankable Skill

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2907034-how-to-spot-an-nba-draft-bust
kg01
General Manager

Post#797 » by kg01 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:42 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Young
Haliburton
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man - Reddish

You right though

Ken is a big ol' meany, don't encourage him.

On Haliburton, I wanted him for us too. I like the 'idea' of him but the reality doesn't add up. From the kid's own mouth, he was 155 at the end of the season. 155! On top of that, he struggled when ncaa teams targeted his on ball defense. On top of the top of that, he struggled to get to the rim in college due to lack of strength.

I think he'll end up eventually being a solid contributor but it's gonna take a long while and he's not gonna be a high level on-ball defender, imho.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#798 » by King Ken » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:12 am

kg01 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Lol, this ain't it chief. Nothing irks me more than comments like this. It shows a lack of awareness. You really think a 6'5 175 PG is going to overtake Cam Reddish and Kevin Huerter as a SG? Then you are out of your mfing mind. It always irks me around this time of the year how overblown these prospects can get over proven kids who can hoop. That's not to take away from any of them, just let's be realistic. It will take Hali a year to adjust to the NBA off guard spot. Cam is already ready and vastly improving. Kevin is always decent and improving. This simply ain't it.

You right though

On Haliburton, I wanted him for us too. I like the 'idea' of him but the reality doesn't add up. From the kid's own mouth, he was 155 at the end of the season. 155! On top of that, he struggled when ncaa teams targeted his on ball defense. On top of the top of that, he struggled to get to the rim in college due to lack of strength.

I think he'll end up eventually being a solid contributor but it's gonna take a long while and he's not gonna be a high level on-ball defender, imho.

I am only the nicest guy you know
jayu70
RealGM

Post#799 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:23 am

King Ken wrote:
kg01 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:

You right though

I am on the nicest guy you know

:lol:
kg01
General Manager

Post#800 » by kg01 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:32 pm

King Ken wrote:
kg01 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:

You right though

I am only the nicest guy you know

If you're the nicest guy I know, I really need to get to know more people. 8-)

Return to Atlanta Hawks