ImageImage

Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#1181 » by emunney » Wed Sep 2, 2020 8:12 pm

machu46 wrote:I'll be upset if we trade this pick for anything short of an average starter even though our drafting history is pretty horrendous lately.

Donte's stock has taken such a hit around here. Double buy imo.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1182 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:39 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:He's certainly not a Porzingis level unicorn (size and athleticism gap is huge), but in this draft I wouldn't be surprised if he goes Top-10 at this point. Someone's gonna take a swing on that upside.

I think you're overrating Porzingis (which most people do) more than underrated Poku.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1183 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:45 pm

Badgerlander wrote:Poku measured 7’0” in shoes with a 7’3” wingspan and a 9’1” standing reach at like 16.5 years old and he says that he’s grown 1.5” since then. He doesn’t turn 19 until December 26

Yeah, he has measured 7' barefoot and should be about 7'2 with shoes when he enters the NBA. And just look at him - his arms are long. And he's a perimeter player. While he's not an explosive leaper, his athleticism and body control is terrific for someone that tall. It all depends on how strong he gets.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,360

Post#1184 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:He's certainly not a Porzingis level unicorn (size and athleticism gap is huge), but in this draft I wouldn't be surprised if he goes Top-10 at this point. Someone's gonna take a swing on that upside.

I think you're overrating Porzingis (which most people do) more than underrated Poku.

As a prospect? Nah, there's a reason Zinger vaulted up draft boards and went #4 overall (and should have went 2nd) in a pretty loaded class. Dude was/is a freak athlete to go along with unlimited shooting range. Would love it if we could somehow come away with him in this draft, but if Poku was anywhere near the level of blue-chip prospect that Porzingis was, he'd be going #1 overall and we wouldn't even be having these conversations.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1185 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:30 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

As a prospect? Nah, there's a reason Zinger vaulted up draft boards and went #4 overall (and should have went 2nd) in a pretty loaded class. Dude was/is a freak athlete to go along with unlimited shooting range. Would love it if we could somehow come away with him in this draft, but if Poku was anywhere near the level of blue-chip prospect that Porzingis was, he'd be going #1 overall and we wouldn't even be having these conversations.

You confirmed what I said. This is the first season Porz has even been an above-average player. And he certainly doesn't have the athleticism to play anything but center. The problem with Poku is his obvious lack of strength.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#1186 » by RiotPunch » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think you're overrating Porzingis (which most people do) more than underrated Poku.

You confirmed what I said. This is the first season Porz has even been an above-average player. And he certainly doesn't have the athleticism to play anything but center. The problem with Poku is his obvious lack of strength.

I've heard Poku leaves a lot to be desired in the effort/drive department as well. No denying his skill-set and size combo is very unicorn-y. I think Zinger was the better prospect, but similar caliber.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#1187 » by tski1972 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:53 pm

I’ll take anyone who can dribble and pass without turning it over at this point.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#1188 » by AussieBuck » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:34 am

tski1972 wrote:I’ll take anyone who can dribble and pass without turning it over at this point.

and shoot
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#1189 » by machu46 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:24 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29793884/nba-draft-buzz-league-insiders-warriors-trades-top-prospects

I think this is a free article asking league execs what they think on various draft-related topics. Some of the things discussed:
- What Minnesota should do
- What Golden State should do
- Some of the most underrated prospects (Stanley, Bane, McDaniels, Okoro)
- Some of the most overrated prospects (Toppin, Edwards, Wiseman)
- And of importance to us for cap/tax purposes: they expect the cap and tax to remain unchanged from this season.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1190 » by emunney » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:42 pm

I don't think Wiseman is overrated.

Stanley is, imo, a substantially better functional athlete than Hami Diallo and he stuck on a roster. It's not hard to imagine somebody like him, a phenomenal 6-6 athlete with a decent looking shot who plays with his hair on fire, being useful for somebody. It's not totally clear to me why he's considered a much worse prospect than DeRozan (9th overall) was. Likely the best pure athlete Coach K's ever had, and he was productive as a freshman.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,853

Post#1191 » by Fotis St » Mon Sep 7, 2020 8:43 pm

Use the pick in a trade and just pick up Hartenstein, he is a FA.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1192 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:54 pm

Do NOT trade the pick. This team needs some young talent.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,853

Post#1193 » by Fotis St » Tue Sep 8, 2020 4:25 pm

Ruzious wrote:Do NOT trade the pick. This team needs some young talent.

You can check for yourself, this year the Draft Class is very weak on talent.

There is enough "young talent" that are FA, or in G-League... if this pick is needed to make a trade you do it. I mean Hartenstein is a FA and he is 20. Just be smart on picking up talent through G-League and FAs
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1194 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:37 pm

Fotis St wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Do NOT trade the pick. This team needs some young talent.

You can check for yourself, this year the Draft Class is very weak on talent.

There is enough "young talent" that are FA, or in G-League... if this pick is needed to make a trade you do it. I mean Hartenstein is a FA and he is 20. Just be smart on picking up talent through G-League and FAs

Thanks for allowing me to check for myself.

First of all, I kinda like Hartenstein, but why do you assume he'll end up in Milwaukee - when there are 30 NBA teams? One team not interested is Houston, because they waived him on June 23rd. Since then, nobody's been interested enough to sign him. And he's 22; not 20. It's easy to check for yourself.

Second, this is a very weak draft at the top. It's not weak - compared to most drafts - around where the Bucks are picking. There should be several quality prospects available at the Bucks' pick.

Thirdly, getting someone via the G League or free agency should not preclude the Bucks from getting someone via the draft. The Bucks should get more than one new player this offseason.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1195 » by emunney » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:48 pm

Watching some more Kentucky to get a better feel for whether Maxey is worth a trade up, and you can put me down for being OK with Quickley at our pick. Pesky on the ball, super long arms, skinny but tough, absolutely deadly shooter. Not explosive and can't finish, but draws a ton of fouls and shot 92% (!) from the line. Not a point guard but can defend points.

Crossmatch with a ballhandler who can defend wings (easier said than done, I know) and let him get shots up and bother the ball.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1196 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:59 pm

emunney wrote:Watching some more Kentucky to get a better feel for whether Maxey is worth a trade up, and you can put me down for being OK with Quickley at our pick. Pesky on the ball, super long arms, skinny but tough, absolutely deadly shooter. Not explosive and can't finish, but draws a ton of fouls and shot 92% (!) from the line. Not a point guard but can defend points.

Crossmatch with a ballhandler who can defend wings (easier said than done, I know) and let him get shots up and bother the ball.

Maxey probably projects as a little better all-around player, but yeah - Quckley's a spot-up shooter that should find a home in the NBA.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,716

Post#1197 » by tydett » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:19 pm

Still hoping that Devin Vassell gets forgotten along the way and slides to the Bucks.
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,245

Post#1198 » by The Wet Whistle » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:53 pm

emunney wrote:Watching some more Kentucky to get a better feel for whether Maxey is worth a trade up, and you can put me down for being OK with Quickley at our pick. Pesky on the ball, super long arms, skinny but tough, absolutely deadly shooter. Not explosive and can't finish, but draws a ton of fouls and shot 92% (!) from the line. Not a point guard but can defend points.

While getting a feel for Quickley, what was your assessment of Maxey? Or did the focus turn primarily to Q?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using RealGM mobile app
emunney
RealGM

Post#1199 » by emunney » Tue Sep 8, 2020 7:24 pm

The Wet Whistle wrote:

While getting a feel for Quickley, what was your assessment of Maxey? Or did the focus turn primarily to Q?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using RealGM mobile app

Hasn't really changed. He's a tough player but even at his age, I want my guards to have a higher skill level. Love how he competes.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#1200 » by machu46 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:10 pm

I've been surprised by how little attention Quickley seems to get. Certainly a flawed player but like you said, great spot-up shooter, great length for the position and already a pretty good defender. I get that he's short for a SG and doesn't have the playmaking skills you look for in a PG, but he seems like a decent 3nD type of prospect to me.

Have you checked out Ty-Shon Alexander at all? I love that dude's defense. Not as good a spot-up shooter as Quickley but seems more comfortable shooting on the move/playing with the ball in his hands.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks