literally every pick is shopped lol
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Re: Prospect Thread: LaMelo Ball 

Post#122 » by 316Hornets » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:45 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Wolves already shopping this pick. I'm confident the Knicks will overpay and it will be for Ball. Wiseman and Edwards don't hold the same trade value. So with Ball going 1 in my opinion, we're going to have Wiseman or Edwards on the board, both if the Warriors take more NBA-ready Avdija or Toppin.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259427/Wolves-Expected-To-Pursue-Trade-Options-With-No-1-Pick

After studying the top 3 I don't want any of the top 3. All three seem like role players at best IMO.

I will say this, it's not a strong vote of confidence for the top 3 that Wolves are shopping the pick this early. I suppose they need to put the Knicks on notice ASAP and try to bait some other bidders for Ball. Again, nobody is trading up for Wiseman or Edwards. We need Kupchak to pull off a sleeper pick here.

I don't think it's necessarily "not a strong vote of confidence." My belief is that the Timberwolves and Warriors are both in win now, playoffs at all costs mode. Most of us have agreed that many of these top guys have potential, but there are flaws in their game. For a Win Now team, you don't want a player you need to develop. I still see Lamelo and Edwards upside as superstars. Wiseman has a shot too, but he's going to have to add weight. Beyond that, you have many guys in this draft with strong potential.

Let's also consider the fact all these guys are viewed pretty similarly will make the competition for ROY very fierce. I'm sure most of these guys want to put that award on their shelf.

In no way do I think we should be a team looking to trade down. A #3 pick for a rebuilding small market team is about the best possible asset there is, no matter how "weak" the class might be.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#123 » by DY_nasty » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:53 pm

how weak the draft class is matters a lot

one free meal at burger king isn't the same as one free meal at a steakhouse...
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#124 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:56 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Wolves already shopping this pick. I'm confident the Knicks will overpay and it will be for Ball. Wiseman and Edwards don't hold the same trade value. So with Ball going 1 in my opinion, we're going to have Wiseman or Edwards on the board, both if the Warriors take more NBA-ready Avdija or Toppin.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259427/Wolves-Expected-To-Pursue-Trade-Options-With-No-1-Pick

I hope you're right about the Knicks overpaying. Barrett and 8 may or may not be paying a fair price so let's start with that. Do we get next years #1 as well? That would be an overpay, and I would take it. Our GM Gersson Rosas would probably accept it too.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#125 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:59 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

After studying the top 3 I don't want any of the top 3. All three seem like role players at best IMO.

I will say this, it's not a strong vote of confidence for the top 3 that Wolves are shopping the pick this early. I suppose they need to put the Knicks on notice ASAP and try to bait some other bidders for Ball. Again, nobody is trading up for Wiseman or Edwards. We need Kupchak to pull off a sleeper pick here.

You don't think Atlanta would want to trade up for Edwards? Atlanta born and raised? They do love Reddish more than they should.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#126 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:01 am

DY_nasty wrote:literally every pick is shopped lol

Just like I run my fantasy teams. Every player is available for the right offer. No such thing as a player I wouldn't trade. As for Minnesota Shopping the pick is there any evidence of it? I believe it, but I have my doubts about our trade talks for #1 being public knowledge.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#127 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:05 am

316Hornets wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily "not a strong vote of confidence." My belief is that the Timberwolves and Warriors are both in win now, playoffs at all costs mode. Most of us have agreed that many of these top guys have potential, but there are flaws in their game. For a Win Now team, you don't want a player you need to develop. I still see Lamelo and Edwards upside as superstars. Wiseman has a shot too, but he's going to have to add weight. Beyond that, you have many guys in this draft with strong potential.

Let's also consider the fact all these guys are viewed pretty similarly will make the competition for ROY very fierce. I'm sure most of these guys want to put that award on their shelf.

In no way do I think we should be a team looking to trade down. A #3 pick for a rebuilding small market team is about the best possible asset there is, no matter how "weak" the class might be.

Great post, but Wiseman doesn't need to add weight. He's a very solid 247 right now from the reports I believe. Compare that to Pokusevski at the same height 200 pounds. He doesn't need to be built like Shaq.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#128 » by wilson115 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:05 am

KGdaBom wrote:Our GM Gersson Rosas would probably accept it too.

Morey guy. One other thing to consider.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#129 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:08 am

wilson115 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Our GM Gersson Rosas would probably accept it too.

Morey guy. One other thing to consider.

I think he's diverging from the Morey path. I hope so. Playing undersized SFs and PFs isn't working. That's why Wiseman and Okongwu are 1 and 2 on my personal draft board.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#130 » by wilson115 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:25 am

KGdaBom wrote:I think he's diverging from the Morey path. I hope so. Playing undersized SFs and PFs isn't working. That's why Wiseman and Okongwu are 1 and 2 on my personal draft board.

I meant he's looking to deal. Not just for picks, but maybe a superstar if one's available.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#131 » by BigSlam » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:25 am

Keep the topic about LaMelo Ball in this thread - thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#132 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:11 am

BigSlam wrote:Keep the topic about LaMelo Ball in this thread - thanks everyone.

Sorry it's hard because the conversation just tends to expand. I have made my stand pretty well known. I would rue the day we won the lottery if we used the pick on Ball. I would rather have been picking 6 or 7 where hopefully he's gone and there was no longer any temptation to take him.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#133 » by BigSlam » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:21 am

Which teams rosters do people see Ball to fit best with, regardless of each teams current draft position?

B B M F 'ers
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#134 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:46 am

BigSlam wrote:Which teams rosters do people see Ball to fit best with, regardless of each teams current draft position?

I'd like him on Phoenix as the heir apparent to Rubio. Sit and learn for a couple years. Maybe Rubio's D would rub off on him.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#135 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:50 am

BigSlam wrote:Which teams rosters do people see Ball to fit best with, regardless of each teams current draft position?

LaMelo is the best playmaker in the draft. So I'm looking at teams that have trouble sharing the ball, measured by assists per 100 possessions.

The bottom 6 are:

Wolves
Jazz
Knicks
Thunder (Paul the only one who shares it?)
Rockets (Harden)
Blazers

Lotto teams bolded.
It has been written...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#136 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:13 am

MasterIchiro wrote:

LaMelo is the best playmaker in the draft. So I'm looking at teams that have trouble sharing the ball, measured by assists per 100 possessions.

The bottom 6 are:

Wolves
Jazz
Knicks
Rockets (Harden)
Blazers

Lotto teams bolded.

Wolves had virtually a whole new team after the trade deadline. Keep him far away from my team. Knicks are very welcome to him and I think they actually want him.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#137 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:18 am

KGdaBom wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

The bottom 6 are:

Wolves
Jazz
Knicks
Rockets (Harden)
Blazers

Lotto teams bolded.

Wolves had virtually a whole new team after the trade deadline. Keep him far away from my team. Knicks are very welcome to him and I think they actually want him.

You have Russell and he's a good passer but you need playmakers. Wiseman ain't it.

But again, you're in position to tax the Knicks and you should.
It has been written...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#138 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:42 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

The bottom 6 are:

Wolves
Jazz
Knicks
Rockets (Harden)
Blazers

Lotto teams bolded.

You have Russell and he's a good passer but you need playmakers. Wiseman ain't it.

But again, you're in position to tax the Knicks and you should.

If I talk about the playmaking we have it will be getting off the subject of Ball and that is not to be done. Ball does two things well. He's very crafty with the ball and he rebounds great for a point guard. His shot is beyond any hope of repair and as of now he is horrible on defense. IMO he is not what the Wolves need and IMO he's not what the Hornets need. I could be wrong. I was wrong once before a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away. :D
I hope you're right about the Knicks all powerful hunger to bring him to the Big Apple. Maybe we can get something we want from them.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#139 » by BigSlam » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:34 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

I'd like him on Phoenix as the heir apparent to Rubio. Sit and learn for a couple years. Maybe Rubio's D would rub off on him.

The Suns is an interesting and good call. Like you suggested, learning behind a guy like Rubio for a year might be good for him.

I was thinking the Bulls. Ball as the primary initiator and LaVine as the secondary ball handler as they push the tempo could work well?

B B M F 'ers
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,398

Post#140 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Make it happen Minnesota, I believe in you.

Return to Charlotte Hornets