ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Speculation Thread - 2020 and beyond...

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,298

Miami Heat Speculation Thread - 2020 and beyond... 

Post#1 » by Wiltside » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:53 am

Insert Embiid / Giannis / AD / Kawheezy etc etc here
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Re: Miami Heat Speculation Thread - 2020 and beyond... 

Post#2 » by IggieCC » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:58 am

3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#3 » by IggieCC » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:08 am

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#4 » by Wiltside » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:27 am

IggieCC wrote:

DoM likes this.

The further we go in the Playoffs, the more money and opportunity you'd have to think is going to come across Dragic and Crowder's desks. Dragic in particular has been massive - he should get some pretty nice offers this offszn. While Gogi is a loyal type and clearly loves being here, you'd have to think the fact we almost dealt him last offszn probably doesn't sit that well with him. I'm super proud of Spo for having the guts to bench Nunn and put Dragic in the starting 5 - old Spo would never have messed with the rotation the way he has in the bubble. That move has been the biggest reason we are where we are right now. Gogi has been COOKING.

Crowder has been so crucial to our success. I'm not ready to say Pat was 100% right in giving up Winslow (what kind of stan would I be if I did), but I will say we are a better team this szn as a result of him doing so. Our depth is our biggest strength, the fact that Crowder has come in and played such a big role has been instrumental in getting us where we are today - we wouldn't be here without the contributions of him and Iggy. Jae, too, will see some solid offers coming his way - will be up to him on whether he takes the cash or sticks with finding a potential home here, but without certainty.

Pat has a big decision on his hands this offszn. I'd hate for us to get 30-11 cute and re-up guys on long term deals because we had a nice run. We need to either go for that final piece of the puzzle, or hold for 1 more year before going all in on 2021. We've come this far...we're so close to being back at the elite level. Gotta execute at every level now.
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#5 » by IggieCC » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:45 am

Wiltside wrote:Pat has a big decision on his hands this offszn. I'd hate for us to get 30-11 cute and re-up guys on long term deals because we had a nice run. We need to either go for that final piece of the puzzle, or hold for 1 more year before going all in on 2021. We've come this far...we're so close to being back at the elite level. Gotta execute at every level now.

Yeah it will depend a lot on what's going to happen in the playoffs. We've seen mediocre talent teams make a nice run, having to overpay mediocre talents and going nowhere. That could totally be us.. but this team is special.. we gotta appreciate a team like this.

Either way OP would say that we are in a good shape. We've already shown that we're there, might be there, or one piece away to the rest of the league. If AD happens to be available? It would be crazy not to consider it. I'd wait and see who'd become available, but not in a rush to get that final piece.. eyes on the prize in 2021. Embiid doesn't excite me too much.. Giannis, who is ironically being exposed by us, does not look like his game will age well.. Kawhi? sheesh OP
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#6 » by DaddyCool19 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:58 am

What kind of contract are you guys going to offer Goran? With the way he is balling, I could see him asking for a 2-3 year deal instead of a big 1 year deal. Would a 2 year deal be ok, when you guys are aiming for a big FA in 2021
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#7 » by Wiltside » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:04 am

DaddyCool19 wrote:What kind of contract are you guys going to offer Goran? With the way he is balling, I could see him asking for a 2-3 year deal instead of a big 1 year deal. Would a 2 year deal be ok, when you guys are aiming for a big FA in 2021

I don’t really see any way we offer him more than the big 1yr deal. It wouldn’t be responsible to do anything else, given the 2021 free agent talent.

I’m going to assume we’d offer him something like $20m for 2020-21, then perhaps a 2/30 or something in the 2021-22 offseason.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,008

Post#8 » by DayofMourning » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:39 am

We still ready to hold on to 2021 dreams of Giannis? Or has his shooting woes, fouling ways, and limited offensive IQ (defensive IQ last night, haha) turned you off?
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#9 » by Wiltside » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:53 am

DayofMourning wrote:We still ready to hold on to 2021 dreams of Giannis? Or has his shooting woes, fouling ways, and limited offensive IQ (defensive IQ last night, haha) turned you off?

Nah I’m not turned off. Sure there are flaws, but he’s still a Top 5 guy in the league. I honestly don’t think he’s being used right. I trust Spo to figure that out. The issue becomes whether he and Bam can work together well enough offensively. With Herro and Robinson’s gravity, it may work, but would require creative rotations from Spo.

Regardless, 2021 also has my man Kawhi, who is my ideal guy. He fits perfectly next to Jimmy and Bam, but it’s unlikely he leaves LA.
MHeat0279
Analyst
And1: 4,352

Post#10 » by MHeat0279 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:11 pm

Wiltside wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:We still ready to hold on to 2021 dreams of Giannis? Or has his shooting woes, fouling ways, and limited offensive IQ (defensive IQ last night, haha) turned you off?

Nah I’m not turned off. Sure there are flaws, but he’s still a Top 5 guy in the league. I honestly don’t think he’s being used right. I trust Spo to figure that out. The issue becomes whether he and Bam can work together well enough offensively. With Herro and Robinson’s gravity, it may work, but would require creative rotations from Spo.

Regardless, 2021 also has my man Kawhi, who is my ideal guy. He fits perfectly next to Jimmy and Bam, but it’s unlikely he leaves LA.

this is spot on, Giannis will be a different player here, a monster in our system, automatic contenders with the FReak in the lineup.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#11 » by Wiltside » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:21 pm

Something worth mentioning in the 'fit' stakes between AD and Giannis alongside Bam. I can see the argument for AD over Giannis, given AD does get a majority of his looks from the midrange and has the more pure J.

However, from deep:

AD: 1.2 3's per game on 3.5 attempts = 33.0%
Giannis: 1.4 3's per game on 4.7 attempts = 30.4%.

It's pretty comparable, even if AD's stroke certainly looks more legit.

Giannis is also having an uncharacteristicly poor year from the line. Over the past 3 seasons, he has shot the ball at 77% (7.7 fta), 76% (8.5 fta) and 72.9% (9.5 fta). This season he is at 63.3% (10.0 fta). I don't see any reason he couldn't get back to the mid/low 70's.

Can you imagine how much we would live at the line with Butler, Bam and Giannis?

Honestly, there's no wrong answer between these two. You'd take either of them on the team in a heartbeat. At this point though, I honestly feel Giannis is a more likely scenario. We're definitely in the hunt here - albeit the media noise and early crow is annoying but expected.

Would an elite wing scorer be preferable over another big? Possibly, yeah. But if you have the opportunity to add a duel MVP in his prime, you figure it out.

The narrative for Giannis if he loses this series is going to be eerily similar to Lebron with the first run in Cleveland. He needed Miami to find out how to win. Perhaps Giannis is the same.
dean456
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,252

Post#12 » by dean456 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:04 am

Wiltside wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:What kind of contract are you guys going to offer Goran? With the way he is balling, I could see him asking for a 2-3 year deal instead of a big 1 year deal. Would a 2 year deal be ok, when you guys are aiming for a big FA in 2021

I don’t really see any way we offer him more than the big 1yr deal. It wouldn’t be responsible to do anything else, given the 2021 free agent talent.

I’m going to assume we’d offer him something like $20m for 2020-21, then perhaps a 2/30 or something in the 2021-22 offseason.

I say we just give him a 1yr max with the expectation to bring him back at a vet min the year after. Then we can add him to what ever talent we add next offseason.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by DayofMourning » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:44 am

Just for fun:

Anthony Davis vs Giannis Antetopopo 2020

I skipped to playoff per 36 to see how they fared this year. Almost identical. AD trails in rebounds, but he also plays with the most legit rebounding team in the league.

And the year before, no playoffs for AD though:

AD vs GA 2019
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by DayofMourning » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:09 am

First time I've read this, Wilt:

https://heatnation.com/rumors/miami-heat-tried-trade-bam-adebayo-san-antonio-spurs-kawhi-leonard/

We are legit shooting for THAT beast in 2021.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by DayofMourning » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:12 am

And here's some more:

https://heatnation.com/rumors/nba-executive-giannis-antetokounmpo-miami-heat-milwaukee-bucks-lose-2nd-round/

Looks like we'll give dollars to our guys this year, then go all out for Kawhi and Giannis in 2021. That'll have to do I guess.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by DayofMourning » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:16 am

Might as well add this quote from D Lo:

“Honestly, the way the league’s going, I’m gonna go with Bam, Bam Adebayo,” said Russell on a young guy he’d build around for the next 10 years. “When you have somebody that big that’s so versatile on the defensive end and what he brings on the offensive end, just the way the league’s going, you see him guarding Giannis [Antetokounmpo] throughout the season, and he just made that matchup tough for him, so I’m going with Bam for sure.”

https://heatnation.com/videos/dangelo-russell-on-why-hed-pick-bam-adebayo-to-build-a-team-around-for-next-10-years/
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#17 » by Wiltside » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:29 am

DayofMourning wrote:First time I've read this, Wilt:

https://heatnation.com/rumors/miami-heat-tried-trade-bam-adebayo-san-antonio-spurs-kawhi-leonard/

My assumption was we definitely went hard at Kawhi. We knew we needed an alpha at that time, and players of Kawhi's calibre rarely come on the trade market. He's a whale, and Riley would've been all in.

I think it must've been Winslow, Bam and perhaps Kelly as salary filler for Kawhi. Sure looks better than the return the Spurs currently got, that's for sure.

Imagine where we'd be if Kawhi walked to LA and we didn't have Bam though. Big sliding doors moment. I still feel we may have been able to hold onto him. He spends time in Miami - clearly likes the warmer weather.

Ultimately, the Raps did as much as they could to keep him and it still wasn't enough.

If the Clippers fail over the next 18 months, Kawhi may become an option again. I doubt he leaves LA now that he's back, but who knows, crazier things have happened.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by DayofMourning » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:39 am

Wiltside wrote:

My assumption was we definitely went hard at Kawhi. We knew we needed an alpha at that time, and players of Kawhi's calibre rarely come on the trade market. He's a whale, and Riley would've been all in.

I think it must've been Winslow, Bam and perhaps Kelly as salary filler for Kawhi. Sure looks better than the return the Spurs currently got, that's for sure.

Imagine where we'd be if Kawhi walked to LA and we didn't have Bam though. Big sliding doors moment. I still feel we may have been able to hold onto him. He spends time in Miami - clearly likes the warmer weather.

Ultimately, the Raps did as much as they could to keep him and it still wasn't enough.

If the Clippers fail over the next 18 months, Kawhi may become an option again. I doubt he leaves LA now that he's back, but who knows, crazier things have happened.

I'm down . Let LA's basketball dreams burn. Then we take their talent.
Dr_Heat
RealGM
And1: 96,866

Post#19 » by Dr_Heat » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:51 am

Oof to the 3rd power.
Dr_Heat wrote: Oof
dean456
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,252

Post#20 » by dean456 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:50 am

Wiltside wrote:

We all know Pop didn't think very highly of Bam to take Turner over him for the National team, his loss I guess. I have wondered if LA fall short and the fact Kawhi wanted to play with Jimmy making it a possibility to pick him up in 2021. But man if we somehow pickup Giannis and Kawhi in 2021...

Return to Miami Heat