Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#361 » by Revenged25 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:37 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
And that's entirely arbitrary based on the lineup. When basically every prospect 6'6 and up gets talked about as a potential small ball 5, saying he's not a center is just saying that he's not strong enough to guard a small number of players like Embiid or Jokic in the post.

I mean small ball 5 isn't an actual 5 and is used for maybe 10-15 minutes a game, not 30+ minutes. Embiid, Jokic, Drummond, Adams, DAJ, Horford, etc. Even then I think his skillset is still better for a combo forward than a F-C, though obviously he can be a "small ball" 5 for 5-10 minutes a game, but you don't want him constantly banging with true centers in the paint as it will wear him down faster. I mean even Dirk played center at times when needed though he was more ideal at PF.

Yeah I don't know what strawman you're trying to put up here. Nobody is saying he's a center.

Are you serious? Let's start with TB mentioning him as a 4 or 5, then you responded with him adding weight easily. I then said I think most see him as a combo forward, which is where you said he should be size/weight wise. I was agreeing with your notion that most see him as a combo forward, not a PF-C, which is what TB was suggesting. You were the one that started going off on this tangent that he could guard centers and crap.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,217

Post#362 » by SNPA » Tue Sep 1, 2020 9:29 pm

Few years and he'll be good. Team needs patience, a good training staff and time. Seven footers with that vision and cross over pull-ups don't grow on trees.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#363 » by CoreyVillains » Tue Sep 1, 2020 9:51 pm

Just dropped my Poku breakdown. The kid is incredibly talented, but situation is gonna be huge for him. I think he’d be really interesting next to Zion in New Orleans.

kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#364 » by kobyz » Tue Sep 1, 2020 10:15 pm

Seems like Jonathan Issac coming out of college
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#365 » by EvanZ » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:14 pm

SNPA wrote:Few years and he'll be good. Team needs patience, a good training staff and time. Seven footers with that vision and cross over pull-ups don't grow on trees.

He is the tree. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#366 » by EvanZ » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:20 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:Just dropped my Poku breakdown. The kid is incredibly talented, but situation is gonna be huge for him. I think he’d be really interesting next to Zion in New Orleans.

Nice job, man. I think he ends up going a bit higher than people think. San Antonio seems like a good fit to me.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,130

Post#367 » by Funcrusher » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:27 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:Just dropped my Poku breakdown. The kid is incredibly talented, but situation is gonna be huge for him. I think he’d be really interesting next to Zion in New Orleans.

I sincerely hope D-Griff agrees with you :lol:
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#368 » by CoreyVillains » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:04 pm

EvanZ wrote:

Nice job, man. I think he ends up going a bit higher than people think. San Antonio seems like a good fit to me.

Thanks dude. San Antonio would be another interesting location. Would be fun to see how Pop would develop him and see Chip Engelland clean up the stroke.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#369 » by doordoor123 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:53 pm

Pokusevski makes a lot of sense at 6. It fits the Hawks MO to draft a big upside player, like Reddish last year. And if he takes time to develop that’s fine because they have Capela. I have a feeling that’s where he gets drafted.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#370 » by kobyz » Wed Sep 2, 2020 8:19 pm

How he compared to JJJ as a prospect?
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,167

Post#371 » by Mickey8 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:28 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Thanks dude. San Antonio would be another interesting location. Would be fun to see how Pop would develop him and see Chip Engelland clean up the stroke.

They already have Samanic, it makes no sense for them to draft Pokusevski.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#372 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:39 pm

SNPA wrote:Few years and he'll be good. Team needs patience, a good training staff and time. Seven footers with that vision and cross over pull-ups don't grow on trees.

And they'll need a very big supply of protein shakes. Shakes and weights. Even if it doesn't rhyme.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,870

Post#373 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:02 pm

How he compared to JJJ as a prospect?

He is way different. JJJ is a great defender for his age, and likely a better 3PT shooter at this time.

Poku is a far, far better ballhandler and passer. He is more of a KVH / Kukoc type player. I think he will be a better rebounder than JJJ as well.

They already have Samanic, it makes no sense for them to draft Pokusevski.

Talent is talent. Samanic isnt the unicorn that Poku is, he is a more explosive athlete but also a more traditional PF with a developing 3. The overlap is only positionally, but skill wise they are very different. SAS needs talent, specifically talent with high potential. Poku could be that home run they need, as lately they have been hitting doubles in R1.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#374 » by EvanZ » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:36 pm

Mickey8 wrote:They already have Samanic, it makes no sense for them to draft Pokusevski.

Right teams can't have more than one tall guy. Good call.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,167

Post#375 » by Mickey8 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 9:06 pm

I see Pokusevski as PF only, in the league, they still have to develop Samanic, they play differently but both of them are PF''s and I don't think Popovich will spend time developing both of them at the same time.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#376 » by JHTruth » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:57 pm

I can see the Celtics taking a chance on him. They have a good development team and already have a good squad so they can be patient. Plus three picks in the first.

He needs to go someplace already good IMHO..
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#377 » by Stillwater » Fri Sep 4, 2020 6:37 pm

He is not a center imo so that can just get tossed unless they want to wait a couple years and take him out of his comfort zone. I think the value here is his potential as a passer and playmaker on the wing at 7' where he can defend decent
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#378 » by MemphisX » Sat Sep 5, 2020 5:03 am

Stillwater wrote:He is not a center imo so that can just get tossed unless they want to wait a couple years and take him out of his comfort zone. I think the value here is his potential as a passer and playmaker on the wing at 7' where he can defend decent

Are we really doing this in 2020? A season in which PJ Tucker is playing center.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,236

Post#379 » by Onus » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:44 pm

Does poku have the highest ceiling in this draft? A 7’ that can dribble pass and shoot at an above avg level? He doesn’t play like kd but isn’t that kd-lite?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#380 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:49 pm

MemphisX wrote:
Stillwater wrote:He is not a center imo so that can just get tossed unless they want to wait a couple years and take him out of his comfort zone. I think the value here is his potential as a passer and playmaker on the wing at 7' where he can defend decent

Are we really doing this in 2020? A season in which PJ Tucker is playing center.

When PJ Tucker was in Europe, he played at the small forward position. Even though he didn't really have the necessary skills for that position. But I remember teams trying him at PF, and he wasn't strong enough to handle the 4 position in Europe.....

Return to NBA Draft