Post#61 » by GEE » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:49 am

Ime Udoka just feels right.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Re: Time to fire Olshey and Stotts? 

Post#62 » by Village Idiot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:20 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
The mess in Philly is going to be interesting and I wonder if Simmons were available, if Portland would
offer any combination of players (except Dame) to get him.

Well, Elton is a seriously bad GM who may panic and move Simmons. I would easily offer CJ, Collins, 2020 FRP, 2022 FRP, 2024 FRP for him. We need transcendent talent and thats Simmons. I doubt Philly would bit though. The defensive improvement of moving CJ and replacing him with Simmons would be tremendous.

I assume they dont want Nurkic but if a 3 way could be worked I would move him and CJ for Simmons. I would prefer the above though.
Simmons is an intriguing player but it is becoming clear that he is a fatally flawed player who is nearly impossible to build around. The only way I would consider paying such a high price is if you have a strong belief that Stotts and Lillard will be able to get him shooting jumpers and making them at a decent rate. I don't have that belief. I feel he has some major mental blocks and needs professional psychological help to break through them. Note also that Simmons has some health issues. He missed his entire rookie year with a foot issue, had back problems earlier this season and now the bum knee
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#63 » by Blazers20 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:11 pm

I’d like to see if the Blazers could go after Markannen and or Porzingas. Blazers may have to overpay but we already know this current team isn’t going far in the playoffs moving forward.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#64 » by Blazers20 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:12 pm

I was thinking offering Collins-Little-16th pick for Markannen. Another one was offering CJ-Nurkic for Porzingas-Boban-Justin Jackson
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#65 » by Blazers20 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:12 pm

Porzingas would be a high risk high reward type player
Blazers20
Pro Prospect

Post#66 » by Blazers20 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:13 pm

Maybe throw in Hezonja to Dallas too
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#67 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:51 pm

Blazers20 wrote:I’d like to see if the Blazers could go after Markannen and or Porzingas. Blazers may have to overpay but we already know this current team isn’t going far in the playoffs moving forward.

Blazers20, while we may disagree about the relative quality of a given Blazers player or on firing Olshey and/or Stotts ... I have no question that you'd like to see a better, contending Blazers roster. That's a bottom line that I respect.

CJ or not to CJ? That is the question. It remains the central question that has not ACTUALLY been answered by Olshey's actions (much less his words). We (and I mean me) haven't heard rumors of CJ TPs or even trade chatter ... which is smart by Olshey.

And I really do like a team that busts its hump hustling on D, covering the shooters, and dominating the D boards. So, it all depends on who the incoming coach, GM, or players would be. But I have to say making the playoffs isn't enough. First round exits compel action to risk and improve.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#68 » by Epicurus » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:22 am

Trouble is that last season's third round exit was followed by risky actions proclaimed to be improvements. Change has the potential for improvement; unfortunately it also has the potential for regression; and it also has the potential to just not really matter.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#69 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Sep 2, 2020 5:29 am

Epicurus wrote:Trouble is that last season's third round exit was followed by risky actions proclaimed to be improvements. Change has the potential for improvement; unfortunately it also has the potential for regression; and it also has the potential to just not really matter.

You have a point.
While we got to see Lillard stepping up his game at both ends ... Nurkic looking good at the end ... GTJ, perhaps, as Wesley Matthews 2.0 ... there was not enough winning basketball amidst all the losses and the 4-1 exit.

Collins and Hood were supposed to step up. Instead, backups and their backups played. The “improvements” should be looked at in context of the injuries BUT not making those moves likely wouldn’t have been worse. Keep Carmelo and Ariza short term? Okay. Maybe. Hard pass on Whiteside. But you’ve got a point.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#70 » by Sinobas » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:44 am

Wouldn't they have fired Stotts by now? It generally happens pretty quickly...
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#71 » by GEE » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:41 am

Sinobas wrote:Wouldn't they have fired Stotts by now? It generally happens pretty quickly...

Weird... I was just thinking the same thing, and came on to post a similar comment, and you beat me to it.

There does seem to be a trend, that the firing of the coaches recently, have been within a few days after leaving the bubble. Perhaps Stotts is safe, which wouldn't surprise me. Unfortunate injuries, plus we got some national chatter with the play-in games, and we didn't get swept by the Fakers.

With that I think Stotts, Dame and Olshey are likely patting each other on the backs. I just thought that if Olshey was going to make a big change, it would start with the coach, and not a major player like CJ. Maybe I'm still right, and N.O. will make some great moves in the coming months, but I doubt anything big.

Back on the Treadmill :giveup:
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#72 » by Sinobas » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:29 pm

Stotts is now the 2nd longest tenured coach in team history. He's managed to survive longer than Rick Adelman. He has a decent reg season win percentage at 56.6%, but his playoff win % is 37%. So he hasn't had a great deal of post season success.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#73 » by wco81 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:39 pm

Remember, next season might start in early December or more likely late December.

They want to delay if they have a chance to have fans in the arenas.

But sounds like they wouldn't want to miss the Christmas games.

So yeah they'd need to make moves now, to start interviewing candidates since there are several vacancies out there.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:21 pm

On the positive side for Stotts, veterans have complimented the Blazers when it didn't go well elsewhere ... Olshey / Stotts / Damian get the lionshare of credit in their roles. Injuries have insulated Stotts especially not having his starters in the playoffs. The lower win percentage in the playoffs can be attributed to either not having enough talent and/or key injuries.

HOWEVER, if a team theoretically (on paper) could be a top4 seed (near contender) BUT never gets there, the excuses fade soon enough. When it doesn't work in reality, then the solution shifts to GMs and coaches. With reaching the WCF last year (without Nurkic and 1-armed Kanter), this years M*A*S*H unit avoids full-on criticism.

AND YET the current team construction and LACK of defense and ... well, there's no avoiding the results.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#75 » by GEE » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:59 am

Looks like the NETS got their guy in Nash. Surprised by that move. Point being, there is action on the coaching front, and we aren't in it. I also worry about Dame having too much say in the coaching decision, considering Stotts lets him do whatever he wants on the court. Not sure that's a great idea.

I'm further concerned by the constant injuries. I ask you all, is it just bad luck? I tend to think not, and that playing guys unnecessarily long minutes, while often undersized and/or out of their natural positions, and playing mostly hero ball is not healthy, or in the players' best interest.

Personally I think Terry is a, sits on his thumbs, style of head coach and his assistant coaches suck. He should definitely be replaced IMHO, and please get a new medical staff too while your at it. Stotts has been good for us, but Dame has learned all he can from him, and the coaching on the floor has only gotten worse. Plus, changing the coach is the much easier move, vs changing up an already solid team chemistry. We should be able to upgrade fairly easily, but time is not on our side.

Finally, if Olshey can't upgrade this coaching staff, then Olshey is the one that needs to go.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#76 » by Soulyss » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:20 am

GEE wrote:
Sinobas wrote:Wouldn't they have fired Stotts by now? It generally happens pretty quickly...

Weird... I was just thinking the same thing, and came on to post a similar comment, and you beat me to it.

There does seem to be a trend, that the firing of the coaches recently, have been within a few days after leaving the bubble. Perhaps Stotts is safe, which wouldn't surprise me. Unfortunate injuries, plus we got some national chatter with the play-in games, and we didn't get swept by the Fakers.

With that I think Stotts, Dame and Olshey are likely patting each other on the backs. I just thought that if Olshey was going to make a big change, it would start with the coach, and not a major player like CJ. Maybe I'm still right, and N.O. will make some great moves in the coming months, but I doubt anything big.

Back on the Treadmill :giveup:

Stotts had a mash unit all season, he just got extended... he's not going anywhere until Lillard is unhappy. Stott's is not the problem.

Olshey is a good college talent evaluator and solid at shopping in the bargin bin... but he's married to his picks and overall he's not gotten the job done. IMO I would shake up the front office, not the coaching staff.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#77 » by Sinobas » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:33 am

I think you're probably right. They don't want to upset Lillard.

I don't have a huge problem with Stotts, I think the roster needs some big re-working though.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#78 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Sep 7, 2020 8:29 pm

NeO is going to swing away ... and connect. CJ. I don’t know if it’s going to end up better or not, but I’ve got a feeling. The draft has value but not upper echelon. Free agency is thin. Covid and the cap. Playoff team with enough to have home court if it breaks right. Good enough not to make a major move. Healthy players for a “real shot” at how good they can be.

Nope.
Swing away, Olshey.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#79 » by d-train » Mon Sep 7, 2020 8:48 pm

Olshey is going nowhere and Stotts shouldn't go anywhere.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#80 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:56 am

d-train wrote:Olshey is going nowhere.

and he's taking the Blazers to the same destination

Return to Portland Trail Blazers