Read on Twitter
?s=21
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#42 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter

No more respect for SAS for me and it wasn’t like I had much of it either. He’s a classic example of the type of black men I despise in our communities: The old head Coon. Stephen Uncle Ruckus.

1. You went at Kyrie for wanting to boycott the season and called the man out of his name for speaking up on black injustice issues.

2. Nets are white privileged for not hiring guys who ESPN would laugh at us for hiring...”You should’ve hired Vaughn because he’s black!!!”

3. Nets hire Vaughn as HC - SAS be like: “How can you hire a guy who allowed 100 bench points and 150 points to the same Torontoooo Raptors about to be swept! How!”

Clown ass negro who still had nothing to say when the Knicks hired Thibs and put former HV Woodson as assistant who helped lead the Knicks to their best run in 20 years.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#43 » by Stone » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

It amazes me when Stephen A wants to pull this stuff out of his ass.

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.

Whether you agree or disagree with Steven A, I give him credit for having the balls to start the conversation. I'm sure he knew he was going to catch flak but he said it anyway.

I just want to touch on Mark Jackson and our Brooklyn Nets culture also. Is this who we are? Are we the culture that says if you make a mistake or have a belief we disagree with we will exclude you?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Paradise

***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#44 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:54 pm

Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.

Whether you agree or disagree with Steven A, I give him credit for having the balls to start the conversation. I'm sure he knew he was going to catch flak but he said it anyway.

I just want to touch on Mark Jackson and our Brooklyn Nets culture also. Is this who we are? Are we the culture that says if you make a mistake or have a belief we disagree with we will exclude you?

Yes.

He was in over his head and has shown while calling games he is still a dinosaur of a mind. He was a figurehead in Golden State who couldn’t draw his own plays, so he hired Mike Malone (DEN) as his lead assistant, found ways to alienate his coaching staff, players and the staff employees.

Jason Kidd’s embarrassing power move on Prokhrhov got him nothing but a one way ticket to being unemployed indefinitely after getting exposed with Giannis, Middleton not developing. He was forcefully hired by GM LeBron for the Lakers bench. Same with Lionel Hollins.

Steve Kerr has Mike Brown currently as his lead assistant after how many jobs with LeBron in Cleveland, LAL, etc?
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#45 » by MGrand15 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:57 pm

Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Man, Mark Jackson has a laundry list of "mistakes" that include being homophobic, alienating his team from front office + ownership (one of the best in the league), pushing away his own assistant coaches, pitting teammates against each other, forcing his religion on players, kicking JERRY WEST out of practice. The Warriors had the same exact core as they did with Kerr and they were the 12th best offense in the league.

And yes, you should absolutely be excluded from being a coach in New York if you don't think gay people belong on your team.
Paradise

Post#46 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:08 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Man, Mark Jackson has a laundry list of "mistakes" that include being homophobic, alienating his team from front office + ownership (one of the best in the league), pushing away his own assistant coaches, pitting teammates against each other, forcing his religion on players, kicking JERRY WEST out of practice. The Warriors had the same exact core as they did with Kerr and they were the 12th best offense in the league.

And yes, you should absolutely be excluded from being a coach in New York if you don't think gay people belong on your team.

His LEAD assistant in GS is currently coaching the Nuggets and he’s watching from the sidelines with no other opportunities. What does that say?

You made your backup center cry in front his entire teammates. You are coaching a group of young players. Who does that?

They also continued to flourish with Luke Walton over Kerr when he was hurt which is what got him that Sacramento job and look how that’s turning out for Luke.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#47 » by MGrand15 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:21 pm

I'm not surprised the race discussion is happening but I wish it wasn't being thrown out there by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Mark Jackson got the Warriors job with no experience. Derek Fisher got the Knicks job as soon as he retired. This happens.
gambakupu
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#48 » by gambakupu » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

MAY!!!!!!!!!??? :o :o :o

Marks runs a tight ship. I like it

I'm done listening to rumors about the Nets
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#49 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:54 pm

I don’t like this move. I don’t think hiring a coach with zero experience actually coaching was a good idea. I do not understand why they pursued him so much. Am I the only one who is disappointed with this completely. I really thought we had a chance at Pop. I hope this was because we couldn’t get him and not that we didn’t even try. This team needs a Pop type coach. A guy to coach the players and keep them together. A guy to make them play defense. Idk what this is.

I disagree with Steven A Smith on the race thing. Many coaches don’t get opportunities they deserve in the league black or white. I agree with him on this. Nash shouldn’t have been able to get this coaching job. His first coaching job should have been the knicks or something. A bad young team in need of development. A guy who can mold the players and help them learn. No one is molding Irving and Durant. We needed someone to mesh them into the team. I don’t think that Nash is that person. We needed an experienced head coach.
Paradise

Post#50 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:00 pm

Steve Nash tried to recruit Dirk as an assistant coach?

Read on Twitter
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#51 » by gigantes » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:01 pm

I agree that the lack of prior coaching experience is a big concern. Because you can be the most talented future coach in the world, but IMO it's going to take you time to fully translate your philosophy, personality & effectiveness to the head coach's seat. I recall Kenny talking about how it took him a couple years to do that, and he'd already been lead asst in Atlanta for a few years.

Besides retaining Vaughn (*phew* lordy that would have sucked if it was either / or), the Nets at least have a more open-ended future due to not having had to trade a million assets for KD & Kyrie. So even if this doesn't work out as quickly and as well as people hope, the Nets still have an encouraging future IMO.

Apart from all that, my biggest (probably irrational) concern is that Nash is too friendly and easy-going, and that players may not fully respect him on certain levels. Still, this Nets org is probably better-built in terms of professionalism and personality than most other teams, so Nash being a 'softy' probably isn't that much of an issue here. Which is all just dumbass fan speculation, anyway... :P
Paradise

Post#52 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:09 pm

Here we go.

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#53 » by Papi_swav » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:11 pm

Wow this is a balsy move ! I trust Marks wholeheartedly so I guess I'm ok with this. Was never a fan of Lue or Kidd . I have no worries about Nash and the teams offensive abilities , I just wonder how well we'll do on the defensive side. I'm glad we kept Vaughn, he earned it to stay. I would of gave Nash a 2 yr deal first.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,001

Post#54 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:11 pm

Total surprise that Nash was the hire but reading more about the details of the hire, I like it!

We knew that the hire needed to command the respect of KD and Kyrie, and we know at the very least KD loves him. Add to that(in no order of importance) the connections with Sean, members of the coaching staff, familiarity with Caris, he spends time in NYC/Brooklyn, genius/HOF PG, intelligent, great communicator, BLM advocate, spent time with great organizations/innovative team systems... he checks a LOT of boxes.

The biggest downside is the lack of experience as a coach beyond player development/consultant but given that we kept JC and we have tons of experience on the coaching staff and good mix of vets...I actually feel really comfortable about this.

Obviously there will/might be a learning curve and there might be rough patches but I think things will be ok and feel miles better about him than the dreaded Ty Lue, Mark Jackson hires which in all honesty was puke inducing.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#55 » by gigantes » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:12 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:...I really thought we had a chance at Pop. I hope this was because we couldn’t get him and not that we didn’t even try. This team needs a Pop type coach. A guy to coach the players and keep them together. A guy to make them play defense. Idk what this is....

Pop coming to BRK never made much sense to me. It all seemed like stuff to push clicks & copy, especially the louder and more persistent the 'rumors' got.

Why would a guy past retirement age already, with roots that deep to his team and community, move across country to start all over again with a new team? If I'm him, I'm looking to enjoy life and enjoy teaching a bit more before savoring a long series of vacations, down time and fun activities in his final years. Plus, isn't he already committed to coach next year's USA team?

The whole thing just seemed like a fantasy, and I think even Marks tweeted the other day that it was a fun idea but unlikely to really happen.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,068

Post#56 » by therealbig3 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:13 pm

I love Nash, I’m excited for the move. Nobody knows how it will work, but I have a good feeling about this. Time will tell.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#57 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:14 pm

Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't have an issue with Stephen A pointing out the disparity in hirings. I think it kind of sucks that the Nets really didn't give Vaughn a chance to earn the job. However, this hiring is being done with the blessing of Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving....this isn't a racial discrimination issue, this is who the team from ownership, the GM, and the franchise players, wanted.

What I do have an issue with is people trying to force feed a job to Mark Jackson. Especially the Nets job.

He hasn't shown any remorse for his homophobia, and that is one part of the issue. Compare this to Tim Hardaway Sr., who many years ago when former Orlando Magic center John Amechi came out of the closet. Since then, he has publicly apologized for his behavior and has actually become an ally to the LGBTQ community.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/28/tim-hardaway-says-past-comments-about-gay-people-are-keeping-him-out-hall-fame/

“I opened my eyes and went to counseling,” he told the El Paso Times then, and Hardaway followed it up in 2013 by becoming the first to add his name to a petition demanding that Florida legalize same-sex marriage. Shortly before doing that, he made a point of calling Jason Collins with a message of support after the latter came out as the first openly gay active male player in major U.S. professional sports.

Collins told The Washington Post in 2017 that while he was surprised to be contacted by the likes of then-president Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey after coming out, “Getting a call from Tim Hardaway is right up there, because I didn’t know he had changed as a human being, as far as being what happened with his comments when John came out, and now becoming an ally.”

“I’ve turned a wrong into a right,” Hardaway said in the HoopsHype interview. “I’m trying to do what’s right, supporting gay people and transgender people. I want people to understand [what they go through] and understand them as people.”

“Life is too short to be out here hating one another and trying to hurt one another. I understand that,” he added.

and yet, Tim is still being held out of the Hall of Fame because of it, and he publicly stated that he accepts it. I hope he gets in because he actually realized he was hurting people and changed his behavior.

The Nets are an inclusive organization. There is a large LGBTQ community in Brooklyn. It's bad optics hiring a bigot like Mark Jackson. This isn't a mere disagreement on beliefs, this is about discrimination against other human beings. That's a non starter.

Also, I implore you to do the research on what kind of madhouse Jackson was operating when he was the coach of Golden State. There is a reason why no one is calling for him. He's an ass hole, and kind of nutty to boot.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,001

Post#58 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:16 pm

Just saw that Marks joined Woj on his podcast. Will give it a listen.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#59 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:16 pm

gigantes wrote:I agree that the lack of prior coaching experience is a big concern. Because you can be the most talented future coach in the world, but IMO it's going to take you time to fully translate your philosophy, personality & effectiveness to the head coach's seat. I recall Kenny talking about how it took him a couple years to do that, and he'd already been lead asst in Atlanta for a few years.

Besides retaining Vaughn (*phew* lordy that would have sucked if it was either / or), the Nets at least have a more open-ended future due to not having had to trade a million assets for KD & Kyrie. So even if this doesn't work out as quickly and as well as people hope, the Nets still have an encouraging future IMO.

Apart from all that, my biggest (probably irrational) concern is that Nash is too friendly and easy-going, and that players may not fully respect him on certain levels. Still, this Nets org is probably better-built in terms of professionalism and personality than most other teams, so Nash being a 'softy' probably isn't that much of an issue here. Which is all just dumbass fan speculation, anyway... :P

Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving respect him. The rest will either fall in line, or will be dealt with.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#60 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:19 pm

Paradise wrote:Steve Nash tried to recruit Dirk as an assistant coach?

Read on Twitter

Goddamn imagine having Dirk being in some of these young players' ears giving them tutelage? Like Nic Claxton especially who seems to be more of a 4 than a 5? whew :oops: :oops:

Return to Brooklyn Nets