Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain? 

Post#1 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:19 pm

Post all thunder related stuff here. Specific trade I deas and discussion will still go- https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=334&t=1939239
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Re: Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain? 

Post#2 » by getrichordie » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:19 pm

Rebuild
[twitter] @thunderdustin
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#3 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Seems like a farewell message from CP3 already
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:54 pm

He gone.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,070

Post#5 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:01 pm

I respect CP3 so much and I appreciate everything he did for our organization but if he posted this without having a clear destination/idea about a future trade, that's terrible for us. To me it basically means that Presti will need to move at all cost, so if we don't find a good trade we will need to give up assets to get him a new home...
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,070

Post#6 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:06 pm

Who could give up some small value for CP3? Bucks or Philly? Feels like the only 2 options (and don't think Philly would do it because they need shooters)
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#7 » by thor19 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:55 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Who could give up some small value for CP3? Bucks or Philly? Feels like the only 2 options (and don't think Philly would do it because they need shooters)

Both teams need shooters, but both teams need a good playmaker , also Philly need a leader, when Butler was on Philly he give that team attitude, and look like he was the leader , Ben look like the layback guy
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:17 am

thor19 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Who could give up some small value for CP3? Bucks or Philly? Feels like the only 2 options (and don't think Philly would do it because they need shooters)

Both teams need shooters, but both teams need a good playmaker , also Philly need a leader, when Butler was on Philly he give that team attitude, and look like he was the leader , Ben look like the layback guy

Philly makes the most sense. Don’t overestimate the Knicks too.
thor19
Junior

Post#9 » by thor19 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:25 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
thor19 wrote:

Knicks can trade for him but I think he is their second option, first one is Fred VV, the problem with Philly is we take Hortford contract that is shorter than Harris but then we have Adams and Hortford or take Harris who is a better fit for our team but his contract is bigger ?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:39 am

thor19 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
thor19 wrote:Both teams need shooters, but both teams need a good playmaker , also Philly need a leader, when Butler was on Philly he give that team attitude, and look like he was the leader , Ben look like the layback guy

Knicks can trade for him but I think he is their second option, first one is Fred VV, the problem with Philly is we take Hortford contract that is shorter than Harris but then we have Adams and Hortford or take Harris who is a better fit for our team but his contract is bigger ?

If CP3 is traded for Horford, roster structure has gone out the window. We are in rebuild mode and trying to save money and squeeze them for assets. We can play Adams, Horford and Noel at the same time for all I care.
thor19
Junior

Post#11 » by thor19 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:49 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
thor19 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Philly makes the most sense. Don’t overestimate the Knicks too.

If CP3 is traded for Horford, roster structure has gone out the window. We are in rebuild mode and trying to save money and squeeze them for assets. We can play Adams, Horford and Noel at the same time for all I care.

:lol: :lol: a lineup of SGA, Bazley,hortford,noel and adams
thor19
Junior

Post#12 » by thor19 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:49 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
thor19 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Philly makes the most sense. Don’t overestimate the Knicks too.

Unless we take Hortford but trade Adams too
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:02 am

thor19 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
thor19 wrote:Knicks can trade for him but I think he is their second option, first one is Fred VV, the problem with Philly is we take Hortford contract that is shorter than Harris but then we have Adams and Hortford or take Harris who is a better fit for our team but his contract is bigger ?

I would have muscala run point. Sam didn’t fly to Minnesota to have him ride the bench.
thor19
Junior

Post#14 » by thor19 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:04 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
thor19 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I would have muscala run point. Sam didn’t fly to Minnesota to have him ride the bench.

If we take one of Philly bad contract they better send our pick and thybulle
itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 107

Post#15 » by itzmrgigglez » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:13 am

Rebuild time but I feel like we’ll always be competitive.

Real question is if Billy is going to stay or leave?
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#16 » by kdthunderup » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:31 am

As fun as this season was if someone offers some value back for CP3 we should definitely take it. If no other team gives up any assets for him then there is no harm keeping him around the mentor the younger guys further. If CP3 does end up leaving then there is obviously no point in keeping Gallo around. Assessing the current situation.

Young core:

SGA: Improved a lot in his 2nd year. I still compare him to a Horford version of a guard/wing. Solid all round player but no elite skill. I think in his prime he could be the 2nd fiddle on a championship team. Would like to see him improve his 3pt shooting and playmaking a little more this off-season.

Bazley: Really impressed me this season and I see him as the long term solution as a PF/C. He is only 20 years of age and all the advanced stats paint him as a plus defender already. Obviously still very raw but he is naturally very coordinated and skillful for someone his size. Shooting improved over the course of the season and finished the season averaging 35%. Playoff advanced stats, albeit small sample size were really impressive.

Dort: Already a great defender but offensively he stinks. I do have faith in him improving because he backs himself and isn't afraid to shoot (pay attention Ferguson). I don't think he will ever be a good offensive player but I think he can become a serviceable offensive player with great defence.

What we need to compete:

A Superstar player: Even though I like our young core, I don't see any of them being the first option on a championship team. Thankfully we are loaded with assets so fingers crossed we may be able to draft or trade for this player in the future. I see this player either being a Point Guard or Wing to fit in with SGA and Bazley.

Shooters: Please can we at least get one elite shooter in the mould of a Reddick, Thompson, Herro? SGA and Bazley may be competent shooters but they aren't going to make defenses panic from deep. You can't win in this day and age without high level shooting.

2021 Squad:

PG: Schroeder
SG: Dort
SF: SGA
PF: Bazley
C: Adams

This squad will be great defensively but will struggle offensively big time. Should be well poised for a lottery pick but will still be fun to see how SGA, Bazley and Dort continue to develop.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:41 pm

Spoiler:
kdthunderup wrote:As fun as this season was if someone offers some value back for CP3 we should definitely take it. If no other team gives up any assets for him then there is no harm keeping him around the mentor the younger guys further. If CP3 does end up leaving then there is obviously no point in keeping Gallo around. Assessing the current situation.

Young core:

SGA: Improved a lot in his 2nd year. I still compare him to a Horford version of a guard/wing. Solid all round player but no elite skill. I think in his prime he could be the 2nd fiddle on a championship team. Would like to see him improve his 3pt shooting and playmaking a little more this off-season.

Bazley: Really impressed me this season and I see him as the long term solution as a PF/C. He is only 20 years of age and all the advanced stats paint him as a plus defender already. Obviously still very raw but he is naturally very coordinated and skillful for someone his size. Shooting improved over the course of the season and finished the season averaging 35%. Playoff advanced stats, albeit small sample size were really impressive.

Dort: Already a great defender but offensively he stinks. I do have faith in him improving because he backs himself and isn't afraid to shoot (pay attention Ferguson). I don't think he will ever be a good offensive player but I think he can become a serviceable offensive player with great defence.

What we need to compete:

A Superstar player: Even though I like our young core, I don't see any of them being the first option on a championship team. Thankfully we are loaded with assets so fingers crossed we may be able to draft or trade for this player in the future. I see this player either being a Point Guard or Wing to fit in with SGA and Bazley.

Shooters: Please can we at least get one elite shooter in the mould of a Reddick, Thompson, Herro? SGA and Bazley may be competent shooters but they aren't going to make defenses panic from deep. You can't win in this day and age without high level shooting.

2021 Squad:

PG: Schroeder
SG: Dort
SF: SGA
PF: Bazley
C: Adams

This squad will be great defensively but will struggle offensively big time. Should be well poised for a lottery pick but will still be fun to see how SGA, Bazley and Dort continue to develop.

I think you either have to trade for a young star to go along shai or tank for a year. Otherwise there probably isn't much point in keeping shai around. I would probably try to get in the top ten of the draft this year. There are some players I like and I don't think it will be too difficult to get there.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?

Anyone one giving his farewell speech.

Spoiler:
itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 107

Post#19 » by itzmrgigglez » Fri Sep 4, 2020 6:29 pm

Next year’s draft class is stacked so a top 10 pick next year would be great
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#20 » by Pillendreher » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:07 pm

kdthunderup wrote:SGA: Improved a lot in his 2nd year. I still compare him to a Horford version of a guard/wing. Solid all round player but no elite skill. I think in his prime he could be the 2nd fiddle on a championship team.

Probably an accurate comparison, but let's assume that's what he is, even going forward: Do you really think that makes him the 2nd best player on a championship team? Is a team with Al Horford (or let's say Paul Millsap) as its 2nd best player a championship contender? I know that this question is is difficult to answer because so much depends on the rest of the squad, but I do think that just going by the main core of guys, I'd be very sceptical if a guy like Horford was my 2nd best guy. Solid all around screams 4th/5th guy on a great team to me, to be honest.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder