***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach*****

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#61 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:Steve Nash tried to recruit Dirk as an assistant coach?

Read on Twitter

Goddamn imagine having Dirk being in some of these young players' ears giving them tutelage? Like Nic Claxton especially who seems to be more of a 4 than a 5? whew :oops: :oops:

He could potentially still change his mind.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,562

Post#62 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:24 pm

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

No more respect for SAS for me and it wasn’t like I had much of it either. He’s a classic example of the type of black men I despise in our communities: The old head Coon. Stephen Uncle Ruckus.

1. You went at Kyrie for wanting to boycott the season and called the man out of his name for speaking up on black injustice issues.

2. Nets are white privileged for not hiring guys who ESPN would laugh at us for hiring...”You should’ve hired Vaughn because he’s black!!!”

3. Nets hire Vaughn as HC - SAS be like: “How can you hire a guy who allowed 100 bench points and 150 points to the same Torontoooo Raptors about to be swept! How!”

Clown ass negro who still had nothing to say when the Knicks hired Thibs and put former HV Woodson as assistant who helped lead the Knicks to their best run in 20 years.

Stephen A picks and chooses when he wants to stand up for his fellow Black people. If it impacts his bottom line, he will become a coon without hesitation.

He was out there back in May talking **** about Kyrie because Kyrie's actions, WHICH WERE 100% RIGHT, were threatening Big Daddy Disney's money if the players decided to not play in the bubble, which would have cost ESPN/Disney a ton of ad revenue. Stephen A is a fraud so much so that Max Kellerman comes off as more reasonable and in touch than he does.

Stephen A. Smith is one of them NEGROES.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#63 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter

OOPS

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#64 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:31 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Vaughn seems to have mellowed out though. You never saw him yelling at guys or overreacting, and he made an emphasis on listening to the players. He seemed pretty calm on the sidelines and even in interviews.

I'm eager for Steve to get started.

Yeah, I think during the bubble Vaughn talked about how much he's changed as a coach since his time in Orlando. He talked about being more accepting of young players (his one example was letting guys shootaround in durags which I fully support :lol: ) and being more relaxed. Didn't seem like lip service - the guy was a rock in the bubble. Loved what I saw from him on and off the court and I'm glad he's back.

He definitely seemed to have calmed down a lot, and what I do love about Vaughn is he is very focused, goal driven, success orientated and to the point, but while still maintaining a realistic, intelligent outlook on the environment around him. He's just a smart guy who cuts a lot of the fat out of things and gets down to business and calls it like it is, instead of fluffing everything up to pander to false narratives.

I'm definitely happy he was retained, though it feels like it's only going to be a short stint til a job that really interests him opens up and he's a head coach again. I'm guessing that's a lot of why he stayed, not only to see this through, but because none of the current openings interested him nearly as much as staying here as lead assistant.

Which says a lot IMO.

It’s rare for aspiring coaches to pass up opportunities (emphasizing plural, considering that there are multiple openings) to interview for full head coaching positions considering how there are only 30 of them in the world. Also, it seems quite normal for a one time head coach to get at least one more shot at another place unless they were absolutely terrible.

For Jacque to essentially go back to being an assistant after getting a taste of being a head coach means 1) he really loves being in Brooklyn and 2) the players and organization must really like him.

Most assistant coaches take their shot at head coaching whenever a spot opens up. Instead, Vaughn is taking the Josh McDaniels with the Patriots approach of loving where he’s at so much that he’s willing to pass up opportunities at other organizations. That speaks volumes about how Vaughn must feel about the Nets.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#65 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:35 pm

Stone wrote:I'm just as surprised as everyone else. Particlaly about the length of the contract 4 years. I hope that comes with options. This could be a make or break move for Sean Marks. Although it looks like Joe Tsai signed off on it as well.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Welcome to Brooklyn , Coach Nash !!...... :beer:

A coach’s contract doesn’t count towards the team salary cap, so his length of years is irrelevant to me. 4 years is pretty much the minimum nowadays for any coach regardless of their experience. Even if he flamed out horribly, his contract wouldn’t impede our ability to go out and sign another coach.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#66 » by DarkXaero » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:38 pm

Initial reaction for me was shock, and confusion, but I've had a few hours to absorb it now. I'm still very surprised that we decided to hire someone with zero coaching experience, but I do like the upside of the hire. It does feel very similar to the Kidd situation, except Nash isn't a scumbag like Kidd. Nash is also one of my favorite players of all time, so part of me is excited. But this is very much an unknown, and it can work out like Steve Kerr in Golden State or it can disappoint, time will tell.

Either way, not a single person saw this coming, and there were no leaks whatsoever. Marks knows how to operate in secrecy.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#67 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:44 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

It amazes me when Stephen A wants to pull this stuff out of his ass.

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.

A divisive guy who brings religion as a measuring stick into the locker room (could be considered a hypocrite due to the rumors/proof? of his time with a prostitute) and preaches homophobia.

Yeah, sounds like the perfect person for Brooklyn, NY. /s
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#68 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:47 pm

Read on Twitter

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#69 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:56 pm

We heard that Marks wanted to retain most of the staff. We assumed that only meant Pop because of the Spurs connection. Didn't see this coming, but Vaughn is staying. Nash is close with Harrington, so he's a lock to stay. I wouldn't be surprise if there's minimal turnover, and Nash just deals with ego and media management. That would be great for continuity.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#70 » by gigantes » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:I agree that the lack of prior coaching experience is a big concern. Because you can be the most talented future coach in the world, but IMO it's going to take you time to fully translate your philosophy, personality & effectiveness to the head coach's seat. I recall Kenny talking about how it took him a couple years to do that, and he'd already been lead asst in Atlanta for a few years.

Besides retaining Vaughn (*phew* lordy that would have sucked if it was either / or), the Nets at least have a more open-ended future due to not having had to trade a million assets for KD & Kyrie. So even if this doesn't work out as quickly and as well as people hope, the Nets still have an encouraging future IMO.

Apart from all that, my biggest (probably irrational) concern is that Nash is too friendly and easy-going, and that players may not fully respect him on certain levels. Still, this Nets org is probably better-built in terms of professionalism and personality than most other teams, so Nash being a 'softy' probably isn't that much of an issue here. Which is all just dumbass fan speculation, anyway... :P

Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving respect him. The rest will either fall in line, or will be dealt with.

Lol... sounds like something one of Vladimir Putin's assistants would say.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#71 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:30 pm

I typed out this long message in the Tapatalk app on my phone and just before I wanted to submit it, the app crash. Oh well, I'll try to recall most of what I said. :lol:

Well, you can't say the Nets don't take chances lol. First, it was Kidd, under King; then, Atkinson, when someone like Thibs was available and had yet to be further tarnished by his time in MIN; and now, Nash.

I'm glad that we didn't hire Mark Jackson (for the reasons I and others have already stated) or another retread. Now more than ever, coaches of superstars with elite players need to be approachable and understanding of today's athlete. Especially considering how the league has transitioned to more of a positionless, 5-out, 1-on-1 style of play, success is more determined by how well a coach manages egos and gets players to buy in than by pure Xs and Os.

I'd hope that Nash's age and his experience working with KD and other players would give him a leg up in terms of relating to and understanding today's player. Considering that Nash was a superstar PG, I'd also tend to think that Xs and Os shouldn't be too hard for him to manage in the few, but important situations where superior BBIQ is needed.

With no head coaching experience and no coaching reputation by which to evaluate him, I have more questions than concrete positives or negatives, such as: 1) How will Nash manage the locker room when things get tough? 2) Can Nash be a disciplinarian when the time calls for it?

It's great that Vaughn agreed to stay on as assistant head coach. I won't repeat what I said in an earlier post, but he must really love his situation in Brooklyn to forgo other head coaching opportunities since those are few and far in between and typically come with a significant increase in salary. I hope and am sure his experience as a coach will aid Nash's transition, along with the rest of the staff (about which Nash was apparently adamant must remain with him at the helm).

We can safely assume that KD is happy about the coaching selection. I venture to guess that Kyrie is at least ok with it as well. And based on Dinwiddie's reaction, we can probably believe that the rest of the team (or at least the rest of the players that matter) are happy about this as well. I'm cautiously optimistic that things will be ok with Nash, although I had similarly hopeful with Kidd fwiw lol. Hopefully, Nash turns out much better than Kidd.

I am more willing to fail with Nash as a head coach than fail with a retread, so I don't really have a problem with Nash being chosen over most of the field. I don't have as many issues with Ty Lue as others have. He was a competent coach who won on contending and championship-winning teams as a player and coach. I don't think I would've had issues with him if he was selected, although I haven't really done much analysis of his tenure as coach in Cleveland.
grandmazter3
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#72 » by grandmazter3 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:33 pm

For whatever reason former star players almost always flop as head coaches. I think Nash can be one of the exceptions because he wasn't always a superstar. Before his MVP days, he was a role player. A fantastic one. He knows what's it like to defer to stars and what it's like to be a star and carry the team.

This hire has a lot of potential.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#73 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:09 am

Should we expect a lot of pace and space next season?

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#74 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:57 am

I had a great post typed out, i step out for 10 seconds n poof all gone... ughhhh I’ll recap lol

Calamity like WOW, Steve Nash, Can’t believe!

If there’s someone with zero coaching experience were to come here, I ain’t mad it’s Steve Nash.

At first, I admit it was a bad optic for me to see a black/minority candidate passed over for the “white” image. I don’t believe that was the case here, while I like what Vaughn did in the bubble, he has room for improvement and the playoffs were tough(though having a g league team should be weighted). Anyways, it add fuel for the analysts to say such things but everything is different and I don’t want minority individuals selected based on race/color, if you can do the job, you do the job. DONE. I believe in that in all aspects of life....

I love me some SAS but he was off for me in that subject. Not everything is clear as day....even he admit that Nash is a great exception to the rule.

Now I wasn’t sure to be excited but nor did I find anything troubling.... the only, idk part is the zero experience but other than that, lets go!

Later in the day, i did feel better about the prospects of what he’ll bring.

As for the NETs retaining Vaughn, I’m happy AF, he earned it and his resume will only be better if the BKN Nets find success .....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#75 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:59 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Should we expect a lot of pace and space next season?

If he brings his ball sharing, constant moving, up paced style... I’ll love it...

He may need a strong voice for defensive purposes... we may still need to upgrade that spot on the staff
The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#76 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:42 am

What I’m hoping is that the ball will leave the hands... no stagnation, no overuse on ISO ball... ball leaving the hands, motion, active, shoot and pass pass pass!

Under my perceived ideas, Allen should flourish real well with PGs like Irving and Dinwiddie as well as Harris and a sleeper in Claxton and Kurocs....

Prince can kick rocks at the moment
The ModFather

LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#77 » by LOUiS-D » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:43 am

Read on Twitter

Saw this and was like. Ah that's cool. I can see that. Who got him? Like Chicago? Thought they were going after Kenny? What other jobs were there again? Open up realgm. Ohhh. OHHHH. Ohhhh? Oh. Oh? Yeah ok.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#78 » by gigantes » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:10 am

Speaking of Kidd, I probably would have slightly preferred him to Nash, given a choice.

Dude now has six years of coaching experience, and undoubtedly has come a long way since then. I would even argue that he did some pretty amazing things with both teams.

This sub is salty (jilted?) as hell about Kidd, and nothing I could ever say will change that, but just like Kyrie calling out the Bubble situation, Kidd was absolutely right about King being a subpar GM, and that the team needed more specific role players than bigger names, going forward.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#79 » by LOUiS-D » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:11 am

JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#80 » by JoseRizal » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:25 am

I decided to log in after so many years just to say that I like this hiring. Nash may not have the experience, but he has the high BBIQ to back him up. Also, what separates this hiring from the Kidd one is that the latter doesn't have KD & Kyrie, that in itself is already an upgrade.

With all the moves Marks made so far, only the Crabbe one is cringe-worthy. I trust his judgment and I'm very excited at what lies ahead.

With Vaughn secured as one of the Assistants, I'm quite confident that the Nash hiring is an essential one. After the falling out with KD & GSW FO, we need someone that he trusts.

Return to Brooklyn Nets