ImageImageImage

PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#1, R2): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [2]LA Clippers (0-0), THU 22:00ET

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#1, R2): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [2]LA Clippers (0-0), THU 22:00ET 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:56 pm

Before corona break, the Clippers and Nuggets are near tied in regular season's standings, but there are no realistic chances for Denver beat them in the best of seven playoff series. But in the meantime, after 5 months, we have a Porter jr bubble breakthrough and Jamal Murray playoff breakthrough, and in game-7 vs Utah Jokic, who suffered COVID19 two months ago finally looked fit to me physically, plus Jeramy Grant since bubble restart looks much more like a true part of this team than before. I'm not saying Denver is favorite to win now of course, but that the Nuggets are not total underdogs.

Interesting, all playoff series we played so far under Malone, against San Antonio, Portland, and Utah, goes to 7 games, but for the first time, we will play against a team which is individually better than Nuggets, which scares me, because so far opponent best players tend to produce even better numbers vs Malone schemes than their regular season was. DeMar DeRozan 22-7-5 and LaMarcus Aldridge 20-10-3, Damian Lillard 25-5-6 and CJ McCollum 26-6-3, Donovan Mitchell 36-5-5, Mike Conley 20-3-5, and Rudy Gobert 17-11. Now we playing vs MVP-level Leonard, all-star George, but don't forget GOAT-bench duo Lou-Harrell, because in the past we have some nightmares from the opponent bench too (Hood, Kanter, Clarkson).

Our only chance is to maximize our potential, which means 40+ mpg of Jokic and Murray, and 35+ mpg of Porter and Grant. If Harris is physically ready to play 30+ minutes, he should get it, despite being useless in the offense, and unlike in Jazz case, the opponent's best player isn't a guard this time, so Harris defense will not be so useful.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#1, R2): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [2]LA Clippers (0-0), THU 22:00ET 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:23 pm

What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger !
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Re: PLAYOFF-2020 (Game#1, R2): [3]Denver Nuggets vs [2]LA Clippers (0-0), THU 22:00ET 

Post#3 » by TunaFish » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:32 pm

I think there is a realistic chance for the Nuggets to beat any team including the Clippers.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:32 pm

Gonna be a good series, I say this goes 6 or 7 (hopefully). Sure could use Barton's return for this series but can't expect anything from him. Porter's got a taste of the real world so hopefully, he realizes he can have an impact with or without scoring, but both will take his game to the next level as well as the Nuggets.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#5 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:44 pm

Jokic & Murray should be the best at their positions. My concern is George/Williams at SG and Kawhi/George at SF and Morris/Kawhi/Green at PF.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#6 » by Manolito » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:15 pm

We need more than ever an aggressive Joker. Zubac and Harrell can not stop them, period. He should also have his typical playmaker duties, unlike Jazz´s series where he did really had tough times with Gobert and although he scored a lot, he was more finisher than playmaker.

Look like Beverly is playing tonight, his only role will be being extremely physical with Jamal.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#7 » by psimanic1 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:44 pm

I would start with Murray, Harris, MPJ, Grant and Jokic. As they will play better defense on Jokic and Murray, we need MPJ to take open shota instead of Craig or Millsap. I hate to see more passes to those two than to MPj to be honest
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#8 » by psimanic1 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:51 am

Looks like Harris will start, Craig at 3 maybe, or Grant/Millsap duo.. We will miss shooting with that lineup..
Also, did you guys notice that Harris actually forgot how to shoot? It looks to me like he is shooting with both hands, no follow trough just throwing it straight in front of him in straight line..
skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:44 am

Kinda what many predicted, we are a tired team while LAC looks fresher. One extra day of rest could've changed the feel IMO.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#10 » by THE J0KER » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:47 am

20-38 in 2nd quarter, with vibes of game#2 and game#3 collapses vs Utah. We need to overperform to beat Clippers, so when we underperform it looks ugly. Maybe guys are emotionally empty after tough Jazz series.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#11 » by U hova » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:30 am

yikes...
skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:03 am

Just gotta clear their minds, try to get some rest and regroup. LAC is clearly the FAV to win the Western Conference, no shame in losing to a good team. Learn and move onto the next one.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#13 » by THE J0KER » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:30 am

OK, I will not comment on this game, unlike these two blowouts vs Utah which come from nowhere, let's say guys are not ready for such an elite opponent just two days after the Jazz marathon.

I write a comment on one other so I will quote part which really scares me, about the player which is destined to be our potential X-Factor in this series, which shooting confidence looks lost just two weeks after he is being named all-bubble 1st team:
THE J0KER wrote:...For 3pt Porter is 19-45 in bubble seeding games, 14-28 in the first 5 games of the playoff, and... just 1-14 in the last three games! Malone just killed shooting confidence of the team's most efficient shooter, and ironically, even with destroyed FG% and limited minutes, Porter is Nuggets leading player in +/- category in these three last games as the team's best rebounder...

Another player that scares me right now is Harris. He has big problems with his offense since 2018, and when he is just coming to play after 5 months of pause, of course, things in his offense going from bad to worse (23% FG% since comeback). But when opponents have guards like Lillard or Mitchell, Harris defense is pure gold for the team. But against this Clippers great team with two key players playing on forward position both I can't see how Gary defense is going to "payback" everything negative from his offense.

Not looking good tonight, but let's ignore this game.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Sep 4, 2020 8:53 am

Let's just look at the box score:

Jokic wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great.
Millsap had a nice stat line.
Grant wasn't too bad.
Murray wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great.
Harris wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great.

Porter wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great.
Craig was about as expected.
Morris wasn't too bad.
Plumlee wasn't too bad.
Dozier did fairly well.

Unfortunately, I also watched the game.

Kawhi seemed like he could have had 50, if he'd wanted. Grant didn't do too bad covering him but Millsap looked more than one step slow when he was switched on Kahi.
Morris looked like a super-star quite a few times.
Of course during the 2nd quarter, the Clippers looked like NBA players playing against G-League players, and the 3rd quarter wasn't any better.

The best thing I can say is, our guys played the Clippers even for the 1st quarter. We need that effort consistently.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#15 » by The Rebel » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:26 am

I figured it was going to be a blowout before the game even started. The quick turnaround and tired team who was emotionally drained from coming back from 3-1 showed their immaturity. Millsap seemed to be the only one that really showed up to play.

Watching the 1st half you could see the lazy passes and shots hitting off the front of the rim, both signs of a tired team.

Is it wrong to think that our team thinks too highly of themselves? Having the balls to show up and put in minimal effort in game 1 of a 2nd round series is crazy. Oddly I still think we win the series.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Sep 4, 2020 1:18 pm

The Rebel wrote:I figured it was going to be a blowout before the game even started. The quick turnaround and tired team who was emotionally drained from coming back from 3-1 showed their immaturity. Millsap seemed to be the only one that really showed up to play.

Watching the 1st half you could see the lazy passes and shots hitting off the front of the rim, both signs of a tired team.

Is it wrong to think that our team thinks too highly of themselves? Having the balls to show up and put in minimal effort in game 1 of a 2nd round series is crazy. Oddly I still think we win the series.

Yeah, I noticed the lazy passes early in the game (and throughout). I just forgot about them. Some of those turnovers were "I can't believe he even bothered to throw a slow pass that had no chance".

Did Millsap show up because they have two great forwards? Does he need a challenge to become engaged? Still wasn't impressed with his defense though.

I'm not sure it was thinking too highly of themselves - although they have yet to prove they are true champions. I think it was a lack of focus.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#17 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:00 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I figured it was going to be a blowout before the game even started. The quick turnaround and tired team who was emotionally drained from coming back from 3-1 showed their immaturity. Millsap seemed to be the only one that really showed up to play.

Yeah, I noticed the lazy passes early in the game (and throughout). I just forgot about them. Some of those turnovers were "I can't believe he even bothered to throw a slow pass that had no chance".

Did Millsap show up because they have two great forwards? Does he need a challenge to become engaged? Still wasn't impressed with his defense though.

I'm not sure it was thinking too highly of themselves - although they have yet to prove they are true champions. I think it was a lack of focus.

Millsap showed up because he knew the rest of them weren't going to do it, it was obvious from the start. Lazy close outs, bad passes, half ass screens, and not working for a good shot, hitting the front of the rim. Millsap is just not good enough to carry a team even for a few minutes anymore.

I could see the lack of focus argument for the 2nd half, but that 1st half was just being lazy. They gave as little effort as possible, especially in the 2nd quarter.

Return to Denver Nuggets