ImageImage

Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Re: Prospect Thread: Deni Avdija 

Post#61 » by wilson115 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 9:34 pm

KGdaBom wrote:His skillset and positional versatility make him an ideal fit for the Wolves.

How about his workout track?

Read on Twitter
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#62 » by BigSlam » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:23 pm

wilson115 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:His skillset and positional versatility make him an ideal fit for the Wolves.

Read on Twitter

Jump shot looks pretty nice, fluid and compact with a sweet quick release there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#63 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 10:30 pm

BigSlam wrote:
wilson115 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Jump shot looks pretty nice, fluid and compact with a sweet quick release there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like another top prospect he has nice looking shooting form, but poor results. He did shoot better in a small sample size after the season relaunched.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#64 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:07 am

Lightning quick release. Also a lot more athletic than I thought. My only question is can he play the 2 like Gordon Hayward has during his career?
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#65 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:43 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Lightning quick release. Also a lot more athletic than I thought. My only question is can he play the 2 like Gordon Hayward has during his career?

As a Wolves fan I don't care about him playing the 2 at all. I want him to be able to play both forward spots well on offense and defense. I want him to shoot the three and drive it to the hoop. I want him to be a playmaker. I want him to be a perimeter defender and defend the rim and rebound well also. Am I asking too much? :D
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#66 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:46 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Lightning quick release. Also a lot more athletic than I thought. My only question is can he play the 2 like Gordon Hayward has during his career?

As a Wolves fan I don't care about him playing the 2 at all. I want him to be able to play both forward spots well on offense and defense. I want him to shoot the three and drive it to the hoop. I want him to be a playmaker. I want him to be a perimeter defender and defend the rim and rebound well also. Am I asking too much? :D

I'm interested in how or if he could play the 2 spot in the mold of a young Hayward beside Bridges and Washington
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#67 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:04 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I'm interested in how or if he could play the 2 spot in the mold of a young Hayward beside Bridges and Washington

He has good handles, but to me he's very much a combo forward. I think he'd be the tallest SG in the league if he were to play that position.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by wilson115 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:44 am

Daustas said he played point guard in the Israeli league and off the ball in the Euroleague. NBA athletes/multiple point guard line-ups are another story, but starting to change my mind about this kid.

Him, Jalen McDaniels, and Cody Martin here looks like a competent defensive line-up off the bench.

Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#69 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:38 am

wilson115 wrote:

Daustas said he played point guard in the Israeli league and off the ball in the Euroleague. NBA athletes/multiple point guard line-ups are another story, but starting to change my mind about this kid.

Him, Jalen McDaniels, and Cody Martin here looks like a competent defensive line-up off the bench.

Yeah im beginning to really warm up on the guy myself. Just wish his free throw percentage wasn't so horrid.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#70 » by wilson115 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:26 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Yeah im beginning to really warm up on the guy myself. Just wish his free throw percentage wasn't so horrid.

This might sound like a dumb comparison, but OG Anunoby shot 52% on free throws and the low 30s on 3-pointers heading into the draft. There's hope, though the same could be said of any prospect using OG's example.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#71 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:14 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
wilson115 wrote:

Yeah im beginning to really warm up on the guy myself. Just wish his free throw percentage wasn't so horrid.

If it weren't for his HUGE RED FLAG of FT% I would probably have him #1 on my board.

I want to say thank you all for treating me well here. I've been chatting on your board a lot for three reasons. You're picking very close to us so the chat is focused around the same players that we are considering on the Wolves board. I love the way you have all the individual threads for each player. Finally you really have a great group of posters on this board and I don't get enough basketball fix just posting on the Wolves board. Best of luck to the Hornets and please trade up with us giving us PJ. Just kidding I know none of you are willing to do that. I'm not interested in Miles, but Maybe Mitch and Gersson would do something like that. You never know. :lol:
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,126

Post#72 » by Braggins » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm not totally sold on Deni at this point, but he is interesting.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#73 » by James Gatz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Deni is the guy I haven't really considered much with our pick. Spencer Pearlman, who I trust, is really big on him. Said today on twitter that a better defensive and finishing but worse shooting Batum isn't a bad way to frame who Deni will likely become.

It's not ideal guy to pick at 3 but if you can guarantee an above average starter in this draft then I'd consider that a win. Impossible to guarantee that though.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#74 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:16 am

I was pretty anti-Deni early on. Now I'm neutral. Wouldn't shock me if he gets drafted by the Warriors or even the Wolves.

I've got to think that Miles goes if the Hornets draft him though.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#75 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:18 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I was pretty anti-Deni early on. Now I'm neutral. Wouldn't shock me if he gets drafted by the Warriors or even the Wolves.

He's tall and athletic. A good defender and a creator/slasher. Excellent vision and passing. I would not mind the Wolves picking him at #1 overall. He's 3rd on my draft board behind Wiseman and Okongwu and I'm about ready to bump him up to 2nd.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#76 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:02 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I was pretty anti-Deni early on. Now I'm neutral. Wouldn't shock me if he gets drafted by the Warriors or even the Wolves.

Why can't Miles move to PF when playing with Avdija? And why can't PJ play with Avdija at SF in addition to Miles at SF?

SF + PF have 96 minutes between them

96 minutes between 3 players splits to 32 minutes apiece. Why can't PJ log a few minutes as backup center?

Miles can play SF or PF.
Avdija can play SF or PF.
PJ can play PF or C.

Avdija SF - 30 minutes
Miles SF - 18 minutes
PJ PF 30 minutes
Miles PF - 18 minutes
PJ C - 6 minutes

In this scenario Miles still plays 36 minutes despite a rookie playing 30 and none of it reduces PJ's minutes.
It has been written...
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#77 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:57 am

I've been reading up on him and seems like Deni is more than capable of playing the 2
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#78 » by -Ian- » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:10 am

James Gatz wrote:Deni is the guy I haven't really considered much with our pick. Spencer Pearlman, who I trust, is really big on him. Said today on twitter that a better defensive and finishing but worse shooting Batum isn't a bad way to frame who Deni will likely become.

It's not ideal guy to pick at 3 but if you can guarantee an above average starter in this draft then I'd consider that a win. Impossible to guarantee that though.

This comparison... Yikes. It doesn't inspire confidence for a probable 3rd pick.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#79 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:15 am

MasterIchiro wrote:

Why can't Miles move to PF when playing with Avdija? And why can't PJ play with Avdija at SF in addition to Miles at SF?

96 minutes between 3 players splits to 32 minutes apiece. Why can't PJ log a few minutes as backup center?

Between Miles and play SF or PF.
PJ can play PF or C.

Avdija SF - 30 minutes
Miles SF - 18 minutes
PJ PF 30 minutes
Miles PF - 18 minutes
PJ C - 6 minutes

In this scenario Miles still plays 36 minutes despite a rookie playing 30 and none of it reduces PJ's minutes.

I believe he can coexist with Miles and PJ just fine. We need him more. We don't even have one reliable SF/PF. :banghead: I still take Wiseman first, but Deni would not be a bad consolation prize.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#80 » by MugzZo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:22 am

KGdaBom wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Between Miles and play SF or PF.
PJ can play PF or C.

Avdija SF - 30 minutes
Miles SF - 18 minutes
PJ PF 30 minutes
Miles PF - 18 minutes
PJ C - 6 minutes

I believe he can coexist with Miles and PJ just fine. We need him more. We don't even have one reliable SF/PF. :banghead: I still take Wiseman first, but Deni would not be a bad consolation prize.
That 40 minute video with OO made we want us to draft him as much as Wiseman. I suggest you guys check it out. Hes a bam or floor myles turner type. I'd be thrilled to have a guy like that in this draft. The video is in the thread. He gets grilled hard and is 19 years of age. I was really impressed with the comparison and his maturity. I physical gifts are there for certain.

Return to Charlotte Hornets