Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#581 » by Dez » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:11 am

Down to 73 new cases in Victoria today but unfortunately our worst daily death total with 41 with 37 of those being linked to an aged care breakout that happened recently and we're still seeing the effects of.

Although I'm lucky enough to still be able to work while the majority of the state can't I still would love to be able to go somewhere that wasn't work, hopefully soon though because the progress is definitely there.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#582 » by Ccwatercraft » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:26 am

nike1 wrote:
Dresden wrote:
nike1 wrote:
firstly apologies for taking a few days to see this.
i should have broken it down a bit more. but its really a combination of the constant news focus and the inability to see family.
can i visit family? i think i can, but would have to self-isolate on the return trip..
my states borders are closed to basically everyone else in my country.

p.s i live in australia. Tasmania to be exact. home of the real tasmanian devil. not the fake warner brothers one lol

What a beautiful place to live. Do you like it there?

it has its pros and con's
but its my home state i love it and i hate it at the same time..
we're not a hugely populated state only 500k.
im still finding new things about the place i love.
tourism is our major drawcard so with all these restrictions at the moment (same with most of australia really) we've had a HUGE hit on the economy.

Traveling there has been on my bucket list for some time, but course everything that's been totally backwards since all this started.

I wish you the best, everyone has a different issue to deal with in these times. Technology does help, even my tech dummy father finally figured out group video chat last week. We all applauded when his face popped up.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#583 » by dice » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:55 am

deleted tweet:

herman cain died of COVID-19 after attending trump's tulsa rally w/o a mask. he had no underlying health conditions
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#584 » by dice » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:04 am

advisor w/ no expertise in infectious disease or epidemiology reportedly pushing herd immunity strategy on trump:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/514412-report-trump-task-force-adviser-pushing-for-herd-immunity-strategy

i'm guessing that his name is a big part of why trump likes him
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,153

Post#585 » by League Circles » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:16 pm

Got a notification that a coworker has been hanging out the last couple weekends with someone who tested positive yesterday. We had all been slacking on distancing at the office, although it's only a dozen of us and we're in private offices for 95% of the day. Inspired me to stand up for what must be done. I emailed all of them and told them I'm ramping it back up, wearing a mask in the hallways and keeping distance. "Zero fox given". We gotta draw lines, uncomfortable as it may feel. Super glad to see my kid's preschool is now mandating masks for all the kids. Previously, the past 2 months, my kid wore hers but most students didn't.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#586 » by Dresden » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:41 pm

dice wrote:deleted tweet:

herman cain died of COVID-19 after attending trump's tulsa rally w/o a mask. he had no underlying health conditions

When you consider all the risk factors- being over 60, being overweight, diabetes, heart condition, lung/breathing problems- there aren't a lot of Americans over the age of 45-50 who don't have one of these pre-conditions.
dice
RealGM

Post#587 » by dice » Tue Sep 1, 2020 6:54 pm

Dresden wrote:
dice wrote:deleted tweet:

When you consider all the risk factors- being over 60, being overweight, diabetes, heart condition, lung/breathing problems- there aren't a lot of Americans over the age of 45-50 who don't have one of these pre-conditions.

hell, nearly 70% of american adults are overweight. with most of those being obese
Dresden
RealGM

Post#588 » by Dresden » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:15 pm

Surprise surprise- Trump wants to start distributing a vaccine on Nov. 1st, several days before the election...

"Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, sent a letter to state governors last week “urgently” asking that they expedite permit applications or waive requirements to allow COVID-19 vaccine distribution facilities to be fully operational by Nov. 1, a CDC spokesperson confirmed to TheWrap."
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#589 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:17 am

Dresden wrote:Surprise surprise- Trump wants to start distributing a vaccine on Nov. 1st, several days before the election...

"Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, sent a letter to state governors last week “urgently” asking that they expedite permit applications or waive requirements to allow COVID-19 vaccine distribution facilities to be fully operational by Nov. 1, a CDC spokesperson confirmed to TheWrap."

This got very negative push back and CDC is backpedaling again.

Science has become a political wing for Trump.

Crazy.
dice
RealGM

Post#590 » by dice » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:40 am

steroids added to remdesivir as only drugs proven to help seriously ill COVID-19 patients

also, U of s. carolina has over 1000 students w/ the virus and positive test rate of 28% after several greek orgs hosted parties. UIUC also w/ over 700 cases
Dresden
RealGM

Post#591 » by Dresden » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:50 am

Someone who attended the Sturgis bike rally died from COVID today in MN.
dice
RealGM

Post#592 » by dice » Thu Sep 3, 2020 7:14 am

Dresden wrote:Someone who attended the Sturgis bike rally died from COVID today in MN.

there have been more than 50 cases in MN linked to that rally already. and the county where the event was held has seen cases skyrocket (71 combined over first 6 months of pandemic, 234 just in the month after the rally). SD, ND and IA have all seen their daily cases double since mid-august
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,587

Post#593 » by Jimako10 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:47 pm

dice wrote:advisor w/ no expertise in infectious disease or epidemiology reportedly pushing herd immunity strategy on trump:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/514412-report-trump-task-force-adviser-pushing-for-herd-immunity-strategy

What are the chances that Trump actually understands what "herd immunity" means?
robert76
Junior
And1: 232

Post#594 » by robert76 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 7:01 am

Jimako10 wrote:
dice wrote:advisor w/ no expertise in infectious disease or epidemiology reportedly pushing herd immunity strategy on trump:

What are the chances that Trump actually understands what "herd immunity" means?

Close to zero. He probably thinks it's called herd immunity because you can't get "cow-vid".
Dresden
RealGM

Post#595 » by Dresden » Fri Sep 4, 2020 3:30 pm

robert76 wrote:
Jimako10 wrote:

Close to zero. He probably thinks it's called herd immunity because you can't get "cow-vid".

Ha ha ha!
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#596 » by transplant » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:18 pm

The death rate of Covid has dropped to 3% from 6% back in May. The real death rate might be as low as 1% (which many epidemiologists predicted back in April). It's still pretty deadly and we're only beginning to learn about the long-term effects on the survivors. If you don't treat this thing seriously, you're being irresponsible.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#597 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:46 pm

Jimako10 wrote:

He and his herd have complete immunity from reality.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#598 » by 2018C3 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:10 am

I know two 65+ year olds who have both tested positive. They are a couple and one of them had very minor systems. The other one of them did not even know he was ever sick.

I do not know many other's personely who have had it, and definitely do not know anyone who has died from it.

I'm sure others experiences may be different, but these ones shared are mine.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,073

Post#599 » by MrSparkle » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:47 am

transplant wrote:The death rate of Covid has dropped to 3% from 6% back in May. The real death rate might be as low as 1% (which many epidemiologists predicted back in April). It's still pretty deadly and we're only beginning to learn about the long-term effects on the survivors. If you don't treat this thing seriously, you're being irresponsible.

Yep. Even 1% would be a whopping, high stat for a highly-contagious infectious disease. As predicted, it is still probably lower, under 0.3% if I had to wildly speculate (anecdotally considering asymptomatic/tested-positive rates), but when you consider that it really does a number on elderly, auto-immune, obese, and diabetic persons (all very large parts of our population), with the occasional super-attack on a totally-healthy young adult, then that is an intolerable statistic.

The administration's response is still emotionally and physically enraging when you consider just how haphazardly the POTUS treats the situation.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,073

Post#600 » by MrSparkle » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:55 am

2018C3 wrote:I know two 65+ year olds who have both tested positive. They are a couple and one of them had very minor systems. The other one of them did not even know he was ever sick.

I do not know many other's personely who have had it, and definitely do not know anyone who has died from it.

I'm sure others experiences may be different, but these ones shared are mine.

My friend's elderly folks got it. Her mom is a diabetic, so we were all very nervous. They had a rough 2 weeks but are now perfectly fine.

I am aware of several friends whose parents or loved ones have passed away though.

Return to Chicago Bulls