ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#801 » by King Ken » Fri Sep 4, 2020 5:41 pm

kg01 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Ken is a big ol' meany, don't encourage him.

On Haliburton, I wanted him for us too. I like the 'idea' of him but the reality doesn't add up. From the kid's own mouth, he was 155 at the end of the season. 155! On top of that, he struggled when ncaa teams targeted his on ball defense. On top of the top of that, he struggled to get to the rim in college due to lack of strength.

I think he'll end up eventually being a solid contributor but it's gonna take a long while and he's not gonna be a high level on-ball defender, imho.

I am only the nicest guy you know

If you're the nicest guy I know, I really need to get to know more people. 8-)

:D
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#802 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:53 am

Hey King Ken, Jayu and all. I just thought I'd drop in on you and see what you were all thinking. Seems that you'd like to have Deni, but realize he will probably be gone. Other than that no consensus at all right? On the Wolves Board Wiseman was starting to run away with it, but now Edwards has made a resurgence and pulled into the lead. All things considered I wouldn't mind us trading back a bit.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#803 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:26 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Hey King Ken, Jayu and all. I just thought I'd drop in on you and see what you were all thinking. Seems that you'd like to have Deni, but realize he will probably be gone. Other than that no consensus at all right? On the Wolves Board Wiseman was starting to run away with it, but now Edwards has made a resurgence and pulled into the lead. All things considered I wouldn't mind us trading back a bit.

Why do you think that? At the moment, Hawks don't like anyone enough to trade up. We'd stay at #6 and make the selection.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#804 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:35 pm

jayu70 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Hey King Ken, Jayu and all. I just thought I'd drop in on you and see what you were all thinking. Seems that you'd like to have Deni, but realize he will probably be gone. Other than that no consensus at all right? On the Wolves Board Wiseman was starting to run away with it, but now Edwards has made a resurgence and pulled into the lead. All things considered I wouldn't mind us trading back a bit.

Why do you think that? At the moment, Hawks don't like anyone enough to trade up. We'd stay at #6 and make the selection.

By reading what you all said it seems to me that out of all the reasonably realistic players that could be available Deni Avdija is the one you want the most. Do you think that's wrong? I've read many pages of your comments. I said nothing about a trade. I don't get where you got any idea about that.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#805 » by kg01 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

By reading what you all said it seems to me that out of all the reasonably realistic players that could be available Deni Avdija is the one you want the most. Do you think that's wrong? I've read many pages of your comments. I said nothing about a trade. I don't get where you got any idea about that.

You mentioned wanting MIN to trade back seems to imply a trade-up by us.

To answer your question, there really is no consensus for us. Which is both good and bad, imho.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#806 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:40 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

I don't think you've read closely enough. You'll find names like Haliburton, Okoro, Okungwu and Toppin mentioned before Deni, but no real consensus. Now wether they are there or not at 6 is the question.
You mentioned Minny trading back, so...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#807 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:43 pm

kg01 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Why do you think that? At the moment, Hawks don't like anyone enough to trade up. We'd stay at #6 and make the selection.

You mentioned wanting MIN to trade back seems to imply a trade-up by us.

To answer your question, there really is no consensus for us. Which is both good and bad, imho.

No implication intended whatsoever. I just mentioned that Minnesota might want to trade back a bit. Deni seemed like the consensus, of possibly available players, from what I could tell and no consensus at all if he wasn't available. Of course what this board or I think is irrelevant. All that matters is what your GM thinks.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#808 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Why do you think that? At the moment, Hawks don't like anyone enough to trade up. We'd stay at #6 and make the selection.

I don't think you've read closely enough. You'll find names like Haliburton, Okoro, Okungwu and Toppin mentioned before Deni, but no real consensus. Now wether they are there or not at 6 is the question.

If all of those players are desired more than Deni that isn't what I got from reading all the comments since the last time I visited, but if that's what you believe I find that interesting. So if the Wolves trade back to 7 or 8 for example we shouldn't be concerned about you taking Deni. Mentioning Minny trading back was simply mentioning Minny trading back.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#809 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:15 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:By reading what you all said it seems to me that out of all the reasonably realistic players that could be available Deni Avdija is the one you want the most. Do you think that's wrong? I've read many pages of your comments. I said nothing about a trade. I don't get where you got any idea about that.

If all of those players are desired more than Deni that isn't what I got from reading all the comments since the last time I visited, but if that's what you believe I find that interesting. So if the Wolves trade back to 7 or 8 for example we shouldn't be concerned about you taking Deni. Mentioning Minny trading back was simply mentioning Minny trading back.

You may have read 'a moment in time' discussion since last you visited.
I'm not saying we won't take him, I'm just saying as of today there isn't a real consensus amongst Hawks fans, bloggers, writers, podcasters, radio guys etc about what direction the Hawks are leaning.
Do we select a guard that can backup Trae as well as play with him when we go small? Haliburton or Hayes. Do we select one of the more defensive minded wings like Okoro, or a swing forward like Deni. Or do we select a big like Okongwu for his defensive potential or Toppin who is more offense.

Example: last year it was all about getting wings with size, athleticism, shooting and defense for Trae.
This year Hawks need a backup PG, Backup PF, Wings. Center maybe the only spot that may not be a primary focus, but then again, if Wiseman happens to fall the Hawks will take him.

The only consensus among Hawks fans is that if we keep the #6 pick, whoever we select will be coming off the bench this year.
Our projected starting lineup:
Trae, Huerter or Reddish, Hunter, Collins, Capela.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#810 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:35 pm

jayu70 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I don't think you've read closely enough. You'll find names like Haliburton, Okoro, Okungwu and Toppin mentioned before Deni, but no real consensus. Now wether they are there or not at 6 is the question.

I'm not saying we won't take him, I'm just saying as of today there isn't a real consensus amongst Hawks fans, bloggers, writers, podcasters, radio guys etc about what direction the Hawks are leaning.
Do we select a guard that can backup Trae as well as play with him when we go small? Haliburton or Hayes. Do we select one of the more defensive minded wings like Okoro, or a swing forward like Deni. Or do we select a big like Okongwu for his defensive potential or Toppin who is more offense.

Example: last year it was all about getting wings with size, athleticism, shooting and defense for Trae.
This year Hawks need a backup PG, Backup PF, Wings. Center maybe the only spot that may not be a primary focus, but then again, if Wiseman happens to fall the Hawks will take him.

The only consensus among Hawks fans is that if we keep the #6 pick, whoever we select will be coming off the bench this year.

I was basing my thoughts that Deni was gaining momentum on this board on the moment in time comments. Just like I shared Edwards gaining momentum on the Wolves board. Of the supposed top three players in our poll Edwards is not receiving 46% of the vote, Wiseman 35% and Ball (yuck) 19%. You guys should put up a poll and we can see how the vote shakes out. Then we would have something other than impressions and guesswork to know where you stand as a board. I wish we had included more than just those three in our poll.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#811 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:52 pm

I personally want the OK boys the most. I see the most two way potential from where the Hawks select which I value the most in this particular draft. I do like Vassel and Hayes right up under them figuring workouts may swing perception for each guy.

I don't see where Demi is being coveted much once you figure in Bertans could be their top target in FA. If he falls to the pick he may be too good to pass over.
kg01
General Manager

Post#812 » by kg01 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:55 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:I personally want the OK boys the most. I see the most two way potential from where the Hawks select which I value the most in this particular draft. I do like Vassel and Hayes right up under them figuring workouts may swing perception for each guy.

I don't see where Demi is being coveted much once you figure in Bertans could be their top target in FA. If he falls to the pick he may be too good to pass over.

Who are the OK boys?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#813 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:58 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:If all of those players are desired more than Deni that isn't what I got from reading all the comments since the last time I visited, but if that's what you believe I find that interesting. So if the Wolves trade back to 7 or 8 for example we shouldn't be concerned about you taking Deni. Mentioning Minny trading back was simply mentioning Minny trading back.

I was basing my thoughts that Deni was gaining momentum on this board on the moment in time comments. Just like I shared Edwards gaining momentum on the Wolves board. Of the supposed top three players in our poll Edwards is not receiving 46% of the vote, Wiseman 35% and Ball (yuck) 19%. You guys should put up a poll and we can see how the vote shakes out. Then we would have something other than impressions and guesswork to know where you stand as a board. I wish we had included more than just those three in our poll.

I still don't get where you summised Deni was gaining moment.
On another Hawks board where there is more activity than here, Deni came in at #9 of the players we most want.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#814 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:15 pm

kg01 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:I personally want the OK boys the most. I see the most two way potential from where the Hawks select which I value the most in this particular draft. I do like Vassel and Hayes right up under them figuring workouts may swing perception for each guy.

Who are the OK boys?

Okoro and Okongwu
jayu70
RealGM

Post#815 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:36 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Who are the OK boys?

Okoro and Okongwu
:lol: Makes so much sense now.
kg01
General Manager

Post#816 » by kg01 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:43 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Who are the OK boys?

Okoro and Okongwu

Ohhhhh .. ok. :wink:

I saw you say that before and no one else questioned it so I was like ...

.. am I the only one who didn't get it?

Makes sense now. I can convince myself to get with Okoro. Okongwu is a harder sell due to position but I could get with that too. I heard a guy describe him as a suped version of Capela.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#817 » by graymule » Sat Sep 5, 2020 5:51 pm

8-)

As I understand it, the draft order also determines where a player falls in the $$$ payroll for his rookie contract. Seems that, if you don't really want a draft pick, you might move. Swap your pick for a future pick or move way down to have less $$$ payroll.

Correct me if I am wrong.

:D
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#818 » by CP War Hawks » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:01 am

;feature=youtu.be

Dude is gaining hella buzz and should rise into the lotto discussion by draft week. You notice at the :25 mark he starts at the half court line with one dribble and finishes with a dunk.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#819 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 12:43 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:;feature=youtu.be

Dude is gaining hella buzz and should rise into the lotto discussion by draft week. You notice at the :25 mark he starts at the half court line with one dribble and finishes with a dunk.

Aleksej looks really good, but the level of competition he is playing against in the video looks really bad. He looks like he is playing in the YMCA.

Aleksej comes from the Greek league, which is not really known for producing quality NBA players and his stats as a pro are not impressive either.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#820 » by BadWolf » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:42 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Aleksej comes from the Greek league, which is not really known for producing quality NBA players and his stats as a pro are not impressive either.

Like Giannis?

Return to Atlanta Hawks