ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who do you prefer of the following prospects?

Desmond Bane
41%
Saddiq Bey
3%
RJ Hampton
3%
Kira Lewis Jr
14%
Tyrese Maxey
7%
Aaron Nesmith
7%
Isaac Okoro
3%
Jalen Smith
7%
Tyrell Terry
7%
Patrick Williams
7%

Total votes: 29

RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,804

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch 

Post#1321 » by RedIndian » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:36 am

I'm going for Reggie Perry to be a big 2nd round steal in this draft. Just a tough and skilled bigman with a terrific motor. 6'9, 250 pounds, 7'1 wingspan, terrific ball-handling ability for a big, and just a LOT of things he can do on the court. Big body, outstanding rebounder, can take defenders off the dribble, hit the 3 (32%) and finish as a roll man.

Not an outlier athlete, so he isn't going to ever develop into a major star, but I get some Al Horford vibes from him.

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,382

Post#1322 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:31 pm

RedIndian wrote:I'm going for Reggie Perry to be a big 2nd round steal in this draft. Just a tough and skilled bigman with a terrific motor. 6'9, 250 pounds, 7'1 wingspan, terrific ball-handling ability for a big, and just a LOT of things he can do on the court. Big body, outstanding rebounder, can take defenders off the dribble, hit the 3 (32%) and finish as a roll man.

Not an outlier athlete, so he isn't going to ever develop into a major star, but I get some Al Horford vibes from him.

He's definitely been a strong consideration of mine too in the 2nd round. That is IF the suns indeed look to round out the end of the bench with high end low cost young talent. Ideally to replace potential 3rd stringers going out such as: Diallo/ Kaminsky/ Okobo? Maybe even Jerome perhaps? For Perry though, There's much to like in his size, strength, relentless motor in the paint, and willingness to bang, Along with his advanced ball handling abilities and improved shooting. I suppose my only major concerns with him would be the lack of rim protection/ shotblocking at his size, he also has only average athleticism for his size, So he'd definitely need to work on his vertical burst and explosiveness. And lastly, Slightly concerning are rumors of possible attitude/ ego issues?

Not sure if the substantiated fully yet. But I'd look into it fully prior to his consideration. Having said that, I still do love his playmaking and double/ double potential. Perhaps he really could be a slightly lesser version of Bam Adebayo for us? At the very minimum, He'd have to at least bring more post dominance than what Kaminsky or Diallo showed us this last season. :-?

I've had him compared to less explosive Chris Webber with his playmaking and advanced ballhandling skills for a 6'10 guy. That would be his ultimate potential ceiling. But he's actually currently much closer to a mix of Julius Randle/ Montrez Harrell. Having said that, He'd still be a solid value depth pick in the 2nd round for sure. :nod:
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#1323 » by TheLogician » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:15 pm

I hope we take Kira Lewis Jr. Best combination of need/fit/talent/ceiling.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1324 » by Crives » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:21 pm

TheLogician wrote:I hope we take Kira Lewis Jr. Best combination of need/fit/talent/ceiling.

Lewis is maybe my favorite prospect around 10.

The more I think about it though... we should take one of Bey/Vassel. Much easier to find a good rotational guard compared to a wing in FA/trades.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1325 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:23 pm

nevetsov wrote:With the 2021 draft class allegedly being loaded with PG talent, do you think it's better to chase a PG prospect at 10 this year or 15 next year? I'm unfamiliar with the prospects next year so I don't know which route would result in the better player.
Maybe but last year at this time people were saying the 2020 draft was going to be loaded with PGs and guys like Anthony and Maxey were looked at as top picks. It's hard to predict how these classes shake out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
TheLogician
Sixth Man

Post#1326 » by TheLogician » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:27 pm

Crives wrote:
TheLogician wrote:I hope we take Kira Lewis Jr. Best combination of need/fit/talent/ceiling.

Lewis is maybe my favorite prospect around 10.

The more I think about it though... we should take one of Bey/Vassel. Much easier to find a good rotational guard compared to a wing in FA/trades.

I view him as our potential starting PG after Rubio. We have had trouble finding starting-level guards so maybe they are not so common. Are you talking about Tyler Bey or Saddiq Bey? I like Vassell too but honestly I prefer our current wings to any of those guys.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#1327 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 9:10 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
nevetsov wrote:With the 2021 draft class allegedly being loaded with PG talent, do you think it's better to chase a PG prospect at 10 this year or 15 next year? I'm unfamiliar with the prospects next year so I don't know which route would result in the better player.
Maybe but last year at this time people were saying the 2020 draft was going to be loaded with PGs and guys like Anthony and Maxey were looked at as top picks. It's hard to predict how these classes shake out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

The first post in this thread is a tweet from Dime magazing titled "The three most interesting prospects in the 2020 draft" and it shows Cole Anthony and Nico Mannion on the front.

I've noticed somewhat of a trend where a lot of the top high school prospects who disappoint in college also end up as busts in the NBA....at least compared to expectations (Wiggins, Parker, Shabazz...and then see below)

This is kind of why I like Toppin...guys who suddenly emerge in college without being highly ranked HS prospects must have tremendous work ethic, high bbiq and just show they are a lot better than people had predicted....and that seems to carry over often in the pros....at least the last few years with Trae, Morant and Clarke.

Some more highly ranked HS prospects (like a Cole Anthony of this year):

Top 4 in 2014 were Okafor, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson and Cliff Alexander (Okafor and Johnson were actually pretty good in college)

In 2015 Skal Labissiere was the top HS prospect

Josh Jackson was the top prospect in 2016, Harry Giles was 2, Ball was 4 and Fultz was 5 (they were decent in college...Tatum was 3rd that year though)

2017 Bagley was 2, Bamba 4, Trevon Duval 5...Michael Porter was 1st..of course Denver got him late due to injury...Ayton 3rd.

2018 RJ Barrett 1, Nassir Little 2, Reddish 3.

Now remember this is post HS, pre college...obviously Zion was #1 post college.

Here are 2019 pre college

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2019

The others:

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2018
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2017
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2016
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2015
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2014
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#1328 » by bhawk » Sat Sep 5, 2020 9:12 pm

Don't sleep on Riller. Better finisher, more FT attempts, better ball handling. I'll take ambidextrous, great first step, and creative finishing over speed all day, every day.

Only negative is that Lewis is 3 years younger.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=kira-lewis-jr--grant-riller
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1329 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 5, 2020 10:39 pm

I'd personally prefer to draft a guard option at 10 in this draft, Snd a wing or big in the next draft as this draft is guard heavy, And next years 2021 draft is absolutely loaded with potentially elite big wings and 4/5s too. So for my part, I'd take a high level guard option at 10, and a backup big later in the draft. And then next draft, I'd look to replace Oubre ( if necessary), With an elite wing 3/4.
TheLogician
Sixth Man

Post#1330 » by TheLogician » Sat Sep 5, 2020 11:25 pm

bhawk wrote:Don't sleep on Riller. Better finisher, more FT attempts, better ball handling. I'll take ambidextrous, great first step, and creative finishing over speed all day, every day.

Lewis is actually 4 years younger. He's not all speed. He has a solid all-around game and a 6'6'' or 6'7'' wingspan depending where you look. He reminds me of Dragic more than Fox.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1331 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 5, 2020 11:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Great in depth article on Grant Riller. You should definitely check it out! :nod:
Riller is going to be special!!!
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1332 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 5, 2020 11:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
TheLogician
Sixth Man

Post#1333 » by TheLogician » Sat Sep 5, 2020 11:47 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

He pulled out of the draft and will be eligible in 2021. I would have stayed in if I were him.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1334 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 5, 2020 11:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

I really like this kid with a mid to late first round pick in 2021. I'd salivate at the thought of him on the wing opposite Bridges, As an elite multipositional lockdown defender. And his athleticism.............

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2020/04/15/analyst-yves-pons-is-best-athlete-and-best-defender-in-nba-draft/

I think he can be an elite lockdown multipositional defender behind Bridges! We definitely should be keeping tabs on him for an additional pick in the 2021 draft. :nod:
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#1335 » by bhawk » Sun Sep 6, 2020 12:36 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Great in depth article on Grant Riller. You should definitely check it out! :nod:
Riller is going to be special!!!

Great find Ghost! Riller was already my pick at 10. This article is sweet validation. I love the conclusion...

"While the track-record for older players selected in the lottery isn't great, I think Riller's abilities are too hard to ignore. He's the most talented scorer in this class, and the only other player in the same conversation as him is projected top-2 pick Anthony Edwards. While Riller's age may make him inherently more valuable to some teams than others, I think he should be universally viewed as one of the ten best prospects in this class."
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1336 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Sep 6, 2020 12:57 am

bhawk wrote:Don't sleep on Riller. Better finisher, more FT attempts, better ball handling. I'll take ambidextrous, great first step, and creative finishing over speed all day, every day.

THISx 100000000. :nod:
Riller is already Elite in a few areas, AND is the most stable, impactful ready to play/ potent ISO scoring guard in the draft. Also, If the comparisons prove accurate in time, Which would you prefer at a value?

RILLER- Lillard/ McCollum/ Van Vleet mix?
LEWIS- De Aaron Fox/ Dennis Schroder/ Ish Smith mix?
TERRY- Trae Young/ Seth Curry/ Mark Price mix? :dontknow: :eyebrows:
Really at 10, We're in a great position to get a great guard regardless. But for my part, I'd have Riller and Lewis neck and neck. But Riller is a bit further along, stronger, and more ready to contribute than the other two from day 1. He's been great and consistently improving for 4 straight years in college. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him jump into the top 14 of the draft and have a fred van vleet type of impact right away for the right team. Just watch a team like San Antonio or Boston or the Flakers get him if he remains underrated. And he'll likely lead them to a great number of wins. :nonono: That'd be yet another big kick to the old beanbag!! :o

Lastly, For those saying that Cole Anthony is a top 5 talent in this draft:
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=cole-anthony--grant-riller
He's better in every statistical category.

And when compared to Lewis:
Again, He's better in the majority of statistical categories, Is also bigger and stronger. And more game ready! And the best part of him being an under the radar prospect is in that we could possibly get him in a trade back scenario, Whilst adding more assets additionally. :rock:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#1337 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:07 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Riller is already Elite in a few areas, AND is the most stable, impactful ready to play/ potent ISO scoring guard in the draft. Also, If the comparisons prove accurate in time, Which would you prefer at a value?

Really at 10, We're in a great position to get a great guard regardless. But for my part, I'd have Riller and Lewis neck and neck. But Riller is a bit further along, stronger, and more ready to contribute than the other two from day 1. He's been great and consistently improving for 4 straight years in college. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him jump into the top 14 of the draft and have a fred van vleet type of impact right away for the right team. Just watch a team like San Antonio or Boston or the Flakers get him if he remains underrated. And he'll likely lead them to a great number of wins. :nonono: That'd be yet another big kick to the old beanbag!! :o

Again, He's better in the majority of statistical categories, Is also bigger and stronger. And more game ready! And the best part of him being an under the radar prospect is in that we could possibly get him in a trade back scenario, Whilst adding more assets additionally. :rock:

If Riller is a Lillard/VanVleet mix, he should be in the conversation, or maybe the favorite, for the top pick in the draft. It will be interesting to see where he goes.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1338 » by cberry78 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:21 am

Does anybody know what happened to Riller's shooting percentage this past year? Just more defensive focus on him? The quality of the competition?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1339 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:35 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

If Riller is a Lillard/VanVleet mix, he should be in the conversation, or maybe the favorite, for the top pick in the draft. It will be interesting to see where he goes.

Yep! :nod:
Riller definitely does have Elite aspects of his game that are truly comparable/ very similiar to both Lillard and Van Vleet.

With Lillard, Riller shares very similiar elite burst, strength,creativity in getting to the rim. Also his elite ball handling and nearly unstoppable penetration to the rim. As well as scoring at the rim with elite efficiency for his size. Also they both have a knack for making big two way plays, and hitting "timely big shots" to impact a game.

With Van Vleet, Riller shares, Elite creativity and an advanced ball handling skill set that allows him to pretty much anywhere he wants on the court. He also shares a really high basketball IQ, Maturity, great poise, And is very good at creating elite gravity upon penetration. Lastly much like Van Vleet, Riller is very good at controlling the tempo of the game with his court savvy, elite ball handling, creativity, And they both again share a knack for making big impact shots and two way plays that can change the outcome and flow of the game! :wink:
You know, It's funny in that every draft has at least one or more severely underrated, come out of nowhere prospects that almost no one properly identified. And they later become categorized as elite steals of the draft. I strongly believe that Riller is one of these prospects. And I truly hope that he remains undervalued, So that we can possibly get him as an immense value pick in a trade back scenario possibly! :D
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1340 » by Crives » Sun Sep 6, 2020 5:02 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:THISx 100000000. :nod:

Yep! :nod:
Riller definitely does have Elite aspects of his game that are truly comparable/ very similiar to both Lillard and Van Vleet.

With Lillard, Riller shares very similiar elite burst, strength,creativity in getting to the rim. Also his elite ball handling and nearly unstoppable penetration to the rim. As well as scoring at the rim with elite efficiency for his size. Also they both have a knack for making big two way plays, and hitting "timely big shots" to impact a game.

With Van Vleet, Riller shares, Elite creativity and an advanced ball handling skill set that allows him to pretty much anywhere he wants on the court. He also shares a really high basketball IQ, Maturity, great poise, And is very good at creating elite gravity upon penetration. Lastly much like Van Vleet, Riller is very good at controlling the tempo of the game with his court savvy, elite ball handling, creativity, And they both again share a knack for making big impact shots and two way plays that can change the outcome and flow of the game! :wink:
You know, It's funny in that every draft has at least one or more severely underrated, come out of nowhere prospects that almost no one properly identified. And they later become categorized as elite steals of the draft. I strongly believe that Riller is one of these prospects. And I truly hope that he remains undervalued, So that we can possibly get him as an immense value pick in a trade back scenario possibly! :D

We can tell :D

What do you think is holding back Riller from being high on mocks? Age?

I worry a little bit about how his absolutely elite scoring at the rim will translate in the NBA.

Return to Phoenix Suns