ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#741 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:25 am

Tatum's bad games are 24-10-3. And this WAS a bad game because he was forcing too much and not setting guys up like he's shown improvement in this season. I have zero doubt he'll break out, take over, and will us to a victory this series. That's apparently what he needs to do because nobody else is consistently producing besides him. It's a lot to ask of a 22 y/o but if he wants to be considered for 2nd team all-NBA he has to prove it.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#742 » by celtics543 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:27 am

The Comedian wrote:
celtics543 wrote:After the last two games I don't see how anyone can still put him above a prime Paul Pierce. He's been bad. His handle is awful for a perimeter player, I literally cringe when he puts the ball on the floor. It's almost a guaranteed turnover. Again, I hope he finds some consistency but these last two games he's been bad. I'm sticking with my original thoughts on Tatum. He's a great player but he'll never be the best guy on a title team.

Tatum put up 24/10 on 18 shots, while being swarmed by the Raps every time he touched the ball. He wasn’t very good, the turnovers were awful, and he struggled from three for sure. But using the last two games to justify your opinion after he’s put up the numbers he has the last 60
games is weird.

If Giannis can get ripped for being a regular season player who falters in the playoffs then I'm not sure Tatum can be exempt from that. He got lucky that Ben Simmons was hurt in the last round and now he's not made the leap yet to be able to handle pressure. Pierce always stepped up in the playoffs when the team needed a basket. Tatum has played well but he disappears a little bit when it's crunch time. I'm sold on him as a top 25 player but people are talking about him on the same level as Luka and Giannis, which I think is absurd. I'd trade him in a minute for either one.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#743 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:35 am

celtics543 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
celtics543 wrote:After the last two games I don't see how anyone can still put him above a prime Paul Pierce. He's been bad. His handle is awful for a perimeter player, I literally cringe when he puts the ball on the floor. It's almost a guaranteed turnover. Again, I hope he finds some consistency but these last two games he's been bad. I'm sticking with my original thoughts on Tatum. He's a great player but he'll never be the best guy on a title team.

Tatum put up 24/10 on 18 shots, while being swarmed by the Raps every time he touched the ball. He wasn’t very good, the turnovers were awful, and he struggled from three for sure. But using the last two games to justify your opinion after he’s put up the numbers he has the last 60
games is weird.

If Giannis can get ripped for being a regular season player who falters in the playoffs then I'm not sure Tatum can be exempt from that. He got lucky that Ben Simmons was hurt in the last round and now he's not made the leap yet to be able to handle pressure. Pierce always stepped up in the playoffs when the team needed a basket. Tatum has played well but he disappears a little bit when it's crunch time. I'm sold on him as a top 25 player but people are talking about him on the same level as Luka and Giannis, which I think is absurd. I'd trade him in a minute for either one.

Pierce shot 39% from the field and 30% from
three over his first three playoff runs. The first of which, he was two years older than Tatum is NOW.

Even with the last two games, Tatum is averaging 25/9.4/3.4 on 47/41/80 splits, with a +11 net rating. I love Pierce, my favorite athlete ever, but Tatum is already probably better than Pierce at his best.
celtics543
Analyst

Post#744 » by celtics543 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:39 am

The Comedian wrote:
celtics543 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
games is weird.

three over his first three playoff runs. The first of which, he was two years older than Tatum is NOW.

Even with the last two games, Tatum is averaging 25/9.4/3.4 on 47/41/80 splits, with a +11 net rating. I love Pierce, my favorite athlete ever, but Tatum is already probably better than Pierce at his best.

We'll agree to disagree. Pierce shot poorly but the game was played differently and his team was significantly worse. Tatum has Kemba and Jaylen Brown. Pierce had Antoine Walker and Kenny Anderson. And you can knock Pierce's first few runs but one of those runs ended in the Eastern Conference Finals, so despite poor shooting he got results.

I'm hopeful for Tatum but I just don't see him ever being the best guy on a finals team. He doesn't have elite athleticism and he doesn't take over games like you'd expect a superstar to do. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, Pierce is my favorite athlete ever as well. How could he not be right? Who comes back from being stabbed and nearly dying to have his best season? I probably overrate him but if I could replace Tatum with 2006 Paul Pierce right now I'd do it in a heartbeat. The guy was a warrior and wasn't afraid of any moment.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#745 » by Floody100 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:27 am

celtics543 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
celtics543 wrote:

We'll agree to disagree. Pierce shot poorly but the game was played differently and his team was significantly worse. Tatum has Kemba and Jaylen Brown. Pierce had Antoine Walker and Kenny Anderson. And you can knock Pierce's first few runs but one of those runs ended in the Eastern Conference Finals, so despite poor shooting he got results.

I'm hopeful for Tatum but I just don't see him ever being the best guy on a finals team. He doesn't have elite athleticism and he doesn't take over games like you'd expect a superstar to do. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, Pierce is my favorite athlete ever as well. How could he not be right? Who comes back from being stabbed and nearly dying to have his best season? I probably overrate him but if I could replace Tatum with 2006 Paul Pierce right now I'd do it in a heartbeat. The guy was a warrior and wasn't afraid of any moment.

He’s 22, calm down lol
celtics543
Analyst

Post#746 » by celtics543 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:35 am

Floody100 wrote:
celtics543 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

I'm hopeful for Tatum but I just don't see him ever being the best guy on a finals

team. He doesn't have elite athleticism and he doesn't take over games like you'd expect a superstar to do. I hope I'm wrong.

He’s 22, calm down lol

Luka is 21.

I don't see much room for Tatum to get better. He's not a freak athlete and he doesn't see the game on a different level so where's the improvement coming from to get to the next level?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#747 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:42 am

celtics543 wrote:
Floody100 wrote:
celtics543 wrote:

I'm hopeful for Tatum but I just don't see him ever being the best guy on a finals

team. He doesn't have elite athleticism and he doesn't take over games like you'd expect a superstar to do. I hope I'm wrong.

He’s 22, calm down lol

Luka is 21.

I don't see much room for Tatum to get better. He's not a freak athlete and he doesn't see the game on a different level so where's the improvement coming from to get to the next level?

Well he’s already top 10-15, by pretty much every metric there is, same for ESPN/nba.com/yahoo/BR rankings.

And getting to the line more, which he’s done all second half/bubble play. Improving as a playmaker, which he’s done a ton in the bubble. Learning how to read defenses better, which he’s done better and better. If you don’t see where the improvement can come from, it’s just you refusing to adapt your opinion on him.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#748 » by playa-hater » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:02 am

Once Kawhi gets a little older, Tatum will be the top 2 way player in BB. (besides Giannis) and possibly better than Giannis as Giannis has no kind of playoff dominance.. the Top 2 way player is/will be a top 5 player easy.. IMO>
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,405

Post#749 » by Kaykoose » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:06 am

Glaring differences in teammates aside, I'm surprised many of you are trying to compare Pierce's numbers to Tatum's without considering eras. Numbers in today's game are very inflated for a multitude of reasons. Pierce and his star peers would have loved to play in today's game with the lax defense and infinite spacing.

I don't think Tatum passes the eye test over prime Paul Pierce... Yet. I would take 2006 Pierce over Tatum for this playoff run right now. Tatum's handling, drawing FTs, passing and finishing still leave a lot to be desired. He's able to put up gaudy numbers in spite of this because he is 6'9 with an incredible 3pt shot and a great bag of scoring moves, all while having multiple 20 point threats to take pressure off him.

What made Pierce so good on offense and what I would like to see from Tatum next, is the ability to have a large scoring output while struggling from the field. When Pierce shot 6-18, he'd still have 22 points because he went to the line 12 times. This is extremely important in the playoffs. Pierce had the quickness, handle and stamina to slash relentlessly and looked to finish through contact. Tatum shies away from contact, shoots soft layups or tries to shoot a floater. Not a big deal if they are going in... But it's something to note.

If the question is potential, then no doubt Tatum beats Pierce there rather easily. Tatum could be the league MVP if he continues to improve on what I mentioned while maintaining strong defensive play. I think he can get there by the 2022-23 season, in which case we can say he is without a doubt better than Pierce.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,540

Post#750 » by The Corey's » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:16 am

Love Tatum but he disappears too much to be elite. Hes inconsistent and I for one and tired of his dead stares at the refs after ever play. Hes not focusing on what he needs to be when they're in his head like that.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#751 » by Jaqua92 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:30 am

I love Tatum. But I just want to add that Tatum currently being better than a prime Paul Pierce is absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#752 » by Floody100 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:44 am

Talk about an overreaction by some ‘experts’ on here lol
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Post#753 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:51 am

Floody100 wrote:Talk about an overreaction by some ‘experts’ on here lol

This board is hard to read sometimes. Couldn't stop falling over themselves about Kyrie Irving for ages.

Yet any time either of the younger guys in Brown or Tatum have a bad game they're suddenly no good again. Pierce had some playoff stinkers. So did KG. So did Bird, McHale you name it.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#754 » by ParticleMan » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:14 am

The Corey's wrote:Love Tatum but he disappears too much to be elite. Hes inconsistent and I for one and tired of his dead stares at the refs after ever play. Hes not focusing on what he needs to be when they're in his head like that.

the guy is 21 and has been a superstar for half a season. he needs to grow up but he will.

this is just the beginning for JT.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,540

Post#755 » by The Corey's » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:17 am

ParticleMan wrote:
The Corey's wrote:Love Tatum but he disappears too much to be elite. Hes inconsistent and I for one and tired of his dead stares at the refs after ever play. Hes not focusing on what he needs to be when they're in his head like that.

the guy is 21 and has been a superstar for half a season. he needs to grow up but he will.

this is just the beginning for JT.

Its all right there. So desperately close. I really hope he's going to take advantage of the situation in front of him right now because we have a legitimate title shot given the circumstances and I hate that its slipping away.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#756 » by ParticleMan » Sun Sep 6, 2020 12:21 pm

imo a LOT of things would have to break right for us to get a chip this year. miami is killing it right now. even if we get past them, i'd say 3 of the 4 WC teams are easily better than us. yeah i remember what happened for toronto last year but expecting that to happen again is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

our time is yet to come.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#757 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:27 pm

The series vs. Toronto is another teaching moment for Tatum. By seeing all these double teams and different defensive coverages as the team's primary (first time in his playoff career), he's learning what he needs to improve on to raise his game to another level. Ballhandling, decision-making with the ball, getting yourself free when off the ball, finishing through contact, getting to the line more, etc. I'm sure he's gonna work on these in the offseason (whenever that is) to come back an even more complete player next season. But I like what I'm seeing at 22 years old.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#758 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:37 pm

Great very fast breakdown on Tatum's season here and the changes including in the bubble and playoffs.

Even mentions some of his obvious weaknesses that would get him called not a real fan by half the posters on this board if it's ever dared to be said.

Overall a very uplifting and enjoyable video about Tatum's ceiling!

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#759 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:46 pm

This playoffs has been a Godsend for Tatum. He's being treated like a superstar, doubled, trapped, etc...and he's having a tough time but is still fighting through it, and brining it on the defensive end. Most guys don't. That's why he's now a top 10 player, vaulting Paul George. He will work on this part of his game and become a better playmaker because of it. He's only 22 y/o. It's crazy how good he already is and will become.
FelixD
Sophomore
And1: 328

Post#760 » by FelixD » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Jayson has make a leap in playmaking this postseason, still not good enought for a 1st option but he is kind of average/ below average playmaker now.

Something i dont like about his game is how much he push off other players, he do it a lot every game and he is benefiting from the refs in this aspect. I hope he dont get used to it, and develop other moves.

Return to Boston Celtics