ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by kalenclayton » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:55 am

City of Trees wrote:My number one prospect for Sacramento at 12 remains Tyrese Haliburton. Realistically they need to move up and I'd gladly do so.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app

I’m a converted Haliburton fan so I agree. I’m still confused how Hampton and Maxey have fallen so far on draft boards. I think both have great potential. The Kings could use either as a 6th man (Maxey would be a spark plug!)
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#42 » by KF10 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 pm

I admit, I haven't been keeping up a lot of the NBA draftees this year but this Haliburton kid looks good. I wouldn't mind him. But I haven't seen much of the field.

That being said, if this draft is as bad people making it out to be, the philosophy should always be BPA regardless of fit. Use your 2nds for high risk/high reward type of players. This year, the Kings have a handful of 2nds, I hope they use them appropriately.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#43 » by City of Trees » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:54 am

KF10 wrote:I admit, I haven't been keeping up a lot of the NBA draftees this year but this Haliburton kid looks good. I wouldn't mind him. But I haven't seen much of the field.

That being said, if this draft is as bad people making it out to be, the philosophy should always be BPA regardless of fit. Use your 2nds for high risk/high reward type of players. This year, the Kings have a handful of 2nds, I hope they use them appropriately.
IMO The draft isn't as weak as some make it out to be. I think the stink stems from two of your top 3 players have big question marks. Wiseman is an unknown due to injury and Ball played overseas. Couple that with no NCAA tourney and you're left with us basic fans asking questions we cannot find answers to.

Mid lotto on feels like a normal draft to me but what do I know?

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by kalenclayton » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:27 pm

City of Trees wrote:
KF10 wrote:I admit, I haven't been keeping up a lot of the NBA draftees this year but this Haliburton kid looks good. I wouldn't mind him. But I haven't seen much of the field.

IMO The draft isn't as weak as some make it out to be. I think the stink stems from two of your top 3 players have big question marks. Wiseman is an unknown due to injury and Ball played overseas. Couple that with no NCAA tourney and you're left with us basic fans asking questions we cannot find answers to.

Mid lotto on feels like a normal draft to me but what do I know?

This is spot on. This draft isn’t “bad” overall. It just lacks the immediate star power that a normal draft would bring. The top is weak and filled with prospects you would normally still draft in the lotto, just later. It seems that there are quite a few good prospects where we are and I’d be happy with a lot of them. I’m not as familiar with the 2nd round as much, but I have my eyes on a few guys (Devon Dotson, Grant Riller, Elijah Hughes).
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by kalenclayton » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:28 pm

Also Paul Reed. My god he would look great with Fox.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#46 » by City of Trees » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:36 pm

kalenclayton wrote:Also Paul Reed. My god he would look great with Fox.
I like his potential if a team can fix that shot. He is all over the place in mock drafts. Ideal pick if he's there at #35.

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by kalenclayton » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 pm

City of Trees wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Also Paul Reed. My god he would look great with Fox.
I like his potential if a team can fix that shot. He is all over the place in mock drafts. Ideal pick if he's there at #35.

Yeah I think his shot is funky and has a late release. It lowers him, but he has some real translatable skills. His shot can be hidden if he keeps closer to the basket. He seems completely fine within 15 feet and is able to get to the rim quite easily and creatively. Plenty of moves. He’s also a great rebounder and pushes as soon as he gets it. That could work really well with Fox.

The best thing about this guy is his defense. He moves his feet really well on the perimeter and closes the distance when needed. He always seems to have his hips pointed in the right direction and knows when to go for the block. He’s a guy I could see starting at the 5 if he can polish up his shot, make it respectable, and get some experience under his belt.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#48 » by City of Trees » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:04 am

My mock draft 1.0

#12- Patrick Williams

Why? With TH off the board and my Fox/Haliburton back court dreams crushed I have the Kings instead looking to help Bagley succeed. If developed Williams can become one of the most well-round prospects in this class. His stretch 4 potential will give Bagley the space needed to operate.

#35- Daniel Oturu

Why? Picking Williams at 12 only works for Marvin if he can play Center....thus Oturu at 35 as the back up plan because Bagley is really a 4. Oturu, in my opinion, has the ideal Center skillset to play alongside Bagley. Versatile defender with quick feet for a big man will stretch the floor allowing Bagley space to operate.

If Bagley doesn't work out the pairing of Oturu/Williams is a natural one. Develop your young guys!

#43- Cassius Stanley

Why? He's a young mid 2nd round pick at 19 years old. Athletic, plays defense, good lateral quickness, and can develop into a playmaker. BPA at 43. Stanley loves to get out and run, always!

#53- Ashton Hagans

Why? Id like to see the Kings use 53 for trading up to secure Oturu. But if they stay put Hagans has a solid foundation and is still young enough to benefit from a two-way deal.

The theme of my mock draft 1.0 is defense, versatility, motor, and shooting while putting Bagley in the best position to succeed.

Edit: I'm so sold on Oturu I would look at trading up to 26 with Boston.

Belly/43 for 26
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#49 » by SmellingColors » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:34 pm

Thought this was an interesting mock. He has Haliburton going to us at #12 and Patrick Williams going a spot before at #11. I'd be okay with either of those picks if they drop there.

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#50 » by BoogieTime » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:05 pm

I have a feeling Toppin will drop to our range due to age/holes in his game, whereas Poku will rise due to the leagues appreciation for Euro unicorns
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#51 » by BoogieTime » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:56 am

Our next GM would have to have balls of stone, with so many other solid options, but I think he might deserve some thought if hes there anyways. Id say one of my favorite 3-4 options, though not who I ultimately prefer as the pick.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by kalenclayton » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:14 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I have a feeling Toppin will drop to our range due to age/holes in his game, whereas Poku will rise due to the leagues appreciation for Euro unicorns

I don’t think Toppin will drop out of the top 10. If he makes it to us, I will be ecstatic though.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#53 » by BoogieTime » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:36 pm

Also, I’d prefer new GM to take who he thinks is BPA. CBS has us taking Kira Lewis, who is a good prospect. BPA might be a PG to the new GM.

I’ve long thought some more creation next to Fox is a good thing. If BPA is PG for the new GM, and doesn’t fit with Fox, you have trade bait
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by kalenclayton » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:51 pm

I’m surprised nobody is talking about Lamine Diane. I just found out about him today and I think he has some awesome potential as a huge sleeper. His age and lack of competition are huge question marks, but the Kings need to be taking chances (especially with 3 2nd rounders). The guy has won Big West POY 2 years in a row and I’ve seen comparisons to Pascal Siakam (definitely lite).

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#55 » by KF10 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 2:20 am

The Poku kid looks very interesting.

With my limited knowledge about him, I say he is a (weird) hybrid of Keith Van Horn and AK47, imo. All-star level player.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,504

Post#56 » by codydaze » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:36 pm

I'd like to take a look at Cassius Winston with our second round pick as well if he's there. I'm a sucker for four year point guards in his mold, I think he can carve out a solid role off the bench. Tough defensively, efficient from the floor, can shoot, high IQ. He checks all the boxes you want.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,504

Post#57 » by codydaze » Fri Sep 4, 2020 4:37 pm

Another Michigan State guy that deserves a look, Xavier Tillman.

BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#58 » by BoogieTime » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:31 am

He's just a baller. Id look strongly at 35, but think he might move up though

I haven't looked at all the second rounders yet, but Nate Hinton is a guy who I think can carve out a career if hes there at one of the later picks
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#59 » by BoogieTime » Sun Sep 6, 2020 4:54 pm

Not an upside pick, or a position of need, but someone who IMO can stick, which is what Id aim for with the last picks
OhioKingsFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#60 » by OhioKingsFan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Give me Saddiq Bey at #12! I know draft twitter guys are low on him because of a perceived "low ceiling" and mediocre explosiveness, but I'd be thrilled to get a player at #12 that is very likely to be a long-term key rotation player. I see him as a Robert Covington type player: he's a 6'8 guy that hits 3's at an elite level and he's a smart and effective defender. He's not the sort of player that will be an engine of a team's offense, but darn it, I think he's the sort of player that every team wishes they had.

Smart cuts, smart off-ball movements with an emphasis on creating open 3's, smart defense (he's pretty good about rotations, making it hard for his man, etc.). He never looks lost on offense or defense, who cares if he's not going to blow by a defender and explode to the hoop? Fox and Bagley are supposed to play those roles, and a player like Saddiq seems like a great complimentary fit.

I hear a lot of people say that they they'd pass on Saddiq because they don't see him as being anything other than a role player. Every team needs the right role players.

Sign me up for the Saddiq Bey fit over the potential of Poku or Patrick Williams... both of those guys have way too much bust potential IMO. The "ceiling" might be higher, but the "floor" is so, so bad.

Return to Sacramento Kings