Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Re: Free agents potentially of-interest 

Post#101 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Hawks, Knicks and Suns among teams to pursue Davis Bertans in free agency

The Washington Wizards have made re-signing sharpshooting forward Davis Bertans in free agency a top offseason priority, but in order to do so they may have to outbid some teams with lots of money to spend.

The Hawks, Knicks and Suns are already expected to pursue him, NBC Sports Washington has learned, with Atlanta shaping up to be particularly aggressive. The Hawks will have by far the most cap space this offseason of any team, according to Spotrac. The Suns will have the seventh-most and the Knicks the eighth-most.

What Bertans will ultimately receive in average annual value is unclear, but league sources still expect him to fall in the $15-20 million per year range, as the Athletic reported in December, before the league shut down.
NBC Sports Washington
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#102 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:40 am

A small refresher of DB. Bigger picture is he's a good stop gap just in case negations with Collins go totally left.

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#103 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:50 am

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#104 » by HMFFL » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:20 pm

I hope this is true.

CNBC's Jabari Young is reporting that DeMar DeRozan is expected to pick up his player option for 2020-21. 

This will be a no-brainer for DeRozan as he's slated to make $27.7M. The Spurs are toying with the idea of a full rebuild and LaMarcus Aldridge is also entering the last year of a deal, so we're likely to see a ton of trade rumors for both this offseason. If the Spurs are able to move one or both, it's going to catapult a lot of their young talent onto the fantasy radar. 

SOURCE: CNBC

Sep 4, 2020, 11:01 AM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#105 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:39 am

Me too I don’t even want Derozan to be someone to consider
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#106 » by jayu70 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 5:58 pm

Realistic Landing Spots Top NBA Free Agents Should Avoid
2. Brandon Ingram: Atlanta Hawks
The very second free agency opens, Ingram should be staring at a full five-year max offer from the Pelicans. If he's not, he should immediately turn his attention to the external max offers surely awaiting him.

It doesn't need to get that far, as New Orleans should've seen enough from the Most Improved Player award winner to put max money on the table.

"From people I speak to, [Ingram] has been viewed as a maximum-level player," Shams Charania reported for The Athletic. "... The Pelicans plan to re-sign Ingram in the summer and have maintained dialogue all season with his agent, Jeff Schwartz."

If Ingram finds himself fielding outside offers for some reason, one is most assuredly coming from the Hawks. They're almost ready to take flight, but Trae Young and Co. need one more difference-maker on the wing. For them, Ingram makes all the sense in the world.

But it's not mutual.

Even after Young's emergence, Atlanta is at least a tier behind New Orleans. The Hawks are still finding themselves and figuring out if John Collins and head coach Lloyd Pierce are long-term keepers. If Collins stays, that would limit Ingram's minutes as a small-ball 4, his primary position this past season. If Collins goes, Ingram would only have Young, a complementary center in Clint Capela and a host of young wings who are learning on the fly.

Moving from New Orleans to Atlanta would be a downgrade almost across the board: worse roster, worse contract, worse culinary scene. Ingram can do better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2907510-realistic-landing-spots-top-nba-free-agents-should-avoid.amp.html
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#107 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:19 am

Thoughts on bringing him back for one last season as a locker room mentor and backup shooter?

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#108 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:29 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Thoughts on bringing him back for one last season as a locker room mentor and backup shooter?

Read on Twitter
If only he wants to spend a final season or two in Atlanta I would welcome him. We need a guy like Korver in our locker room. It seemed like we had veterans that didn't need to be part of the team this season.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#109 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#110 » by HMFFL » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:11 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
I like Davis but how many shot attempts do we actually have to go around? Kevin Huerter should be able to fit the role that Davis would unless Huerter isn't cutting it.

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#111 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:41 pm

HMFFL wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
I like Davis but how many shot attempts do we actually have to go around? Kevin Huerter should be able to fit the role that Davis would unless Huerter isn't cutting it.

I mean DB is seasoned sniper at this point in his career. Shots come naturally for a guy that makes contested, pull up, catch and shoot, off the dribble long range 3s. His fit with Capela is natural and provides insurance just in case something goes bad with Collins.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#112 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:15 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I mean DB is seasoned sniper at this point in his career. Shots come naturally for a guy that makes contested, pull up, catch and shoot, off the dribble long range 3s. His fit with Capela is natural and provides insurance just in case something goes bad with Collins.

Hawks need a backup PF. Hawks need solid NBA depth. Hawks need shooting.
The way I see it, we can easily stagger Collins/Dedmon and Bertans/Capela lineups.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#113 » by raleigh » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:38 pm

With Bertans I worry about the injury history. I also doubt he'd be willing to accept a big two-year deal, which is what makes sense for Atlanta.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#114 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:16 am

raleigh wrote:With Bertans I worry about the injury history. I also doubt he'd be willing to accept a big two-year deal, which is what makes sense for Atlanta.

Last 3 years 5, 6 and 10 games missed.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#115 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:23 am

CP War Hawks wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Trust me, I agree, and I want him. I mentioned him on this board months ago before the same came to a halt. If we sign we must play him but I don't see how we can distribute the ball enough to make everyone happy.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:18 am

I'm clearly in the minority, but I have 0 desire to pay this dude $15+ million per year on a multi year contract to essentially be a role player for us.

I'd rather target affordable vets or guys with a chance to actually compete for a starting spot.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#117 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 am

1 Player Every NBA Team Needs to Chase in 2020 Free Agency

Atlanta Hawks: Joe Harris

Targeting Joe Harris won't do much for the Atlanta Hawks if they're looking to alleviate Trae Young's ball-handling responsibilities. That's fine. They need shooting, too.

Harris brings plenty of functional sniping. His 43.9 percent clip from deep over the past three seasons comes amid a mixture of standstill looks, in-motion firings and the occasional off-the-dribble jumper. He has even added a smidgen of creation to his game, beyond just attacking closeouts. He can probe off the bounce while navigating some traffic and tosses a few nifty passes.

That's not enough to get Young moving off the ball in the half-court, but it's optionality the Hawks aren't guaranteed from any of their other wings. If nothing else, Atlanta desperately needs his consistency from the beyond the arc after placing dead-last in three-point efficiency this past season.

Signing Harris won't come cheap. It might not even be possible. Fortunately, the Hawks don't face a ton of competition.

Teams with the mid-level exception will come calling, but it'll take more than that to poach Harris. Atlanta is one of the scant few squads slinging real space, and with a war chest that will clear $40 million even against a lateral cap, it has the financial juice to tender him an offer that makes the incumbent, luxury-tax-bound Brooklyn Nets more than a little uncomfortable.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#118 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:53 pm

Free agents the Hawks should consider this offseason

Alec Burks

Burks, who is 29 years old, is a solid overall player that can find his way on most teams in the league. He had a pretty good season between the two teams he suited up for in 2019-20, and the 6’5 guard provides a veteran presence on a young team, and is versatile in his role.

Burks shot efficiently from deep throughout the year with both teams, and averaged more than 16 points a night while coming off the bench for the Warriors. Burks is one of the better scoring threats for a bench guy throughout the league, and likely could start on a handful of teams. His game is best suited for a second unit though, and with the rise of Reddish and the free agency of multiple perimeter players on Atlanta’s 2019-20 roster, there are some blanks needed to be filled.

Burks is a guy that can buy in and fit many systems. If he has to take on more minutes, he can, but at around 20 minutes per game, Burks can shine in a role with the Hawks. Burks usually spends his time at the off-guard spot. From there, he can play off the ball and score from deep, where he shot an average of 39.6% between his two stints this past season.

With the ball in his hands, Burks can create his own shot, and although he can find a mid range jumper or three-point shot with only a few dribbles, it’s nothing for him to put the ball on the floor and isolate for a possession to find a shot for himself. Burks is capable of running some point guard too, and is good for a few pick-and-rolls throughout a game.

Burks can initiate the offense if he’s the lone ball handler in the game. In other cases, he’d be taking pressure off of guys like Young, Huerter, Reddish, Teague (if he stays) or whoever fills the depth chart in terms of perimeter creation.

The Hawks also struggled with defense this season, finishing the regular season with the third-worst defensive rating in the NBA. While the addition of Capela — who has yet to suit up for Atlanta — aids their rim protection, the Hawks have some work to do with their backcourt defense. Burks has proved himself to be an improved defender over the past couple of years, and can add some decent perimeter defense to the second unit.
Peachtree Hoops
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#119 » by Radioblacktive1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:03 pm

I don’t trust that dude’s durability.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#120 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm clearly in the minority, but I have 0 desire to pay this dude $15+ million per year on a multi year contract to essentially be a role player for us.

I'd rather target affordable vets or guys with a chance to actually compete for a starting spot.

If 15m per season is what he's going to cost we need to pass.
Or, make some changes to our current team, because adding him won't make any sense.

Return to Atlanta Hawks