xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Re: Around the NBA IV 

Post#881 » by xdrta+ » Sat Sep 5, 2020 10:03 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
Good call. But tell me which big man is not exposed against small ball? That's why I have no interest in drafting Wiseman.

I would still take Gasol as a short minutes guy or back up for traditional match up periods IF the price is right. But I would prefer Ibaka....

Time Lord was ballin out in game 3. I'd take a big like that.

Time Lord was a late first. You can get those types of guys in the back of the draft and not spend $10 million a year on their rookie contract as you would with Wiseman.

I can see not wanting to draft Wiseman, or any center, with a high pick for basketball reasons, but using salary as an reason doesn't make a lot of sense to me. First of all, it's not $10M -- this year the rookie scale for the #2 pick was $7.2M. A late first, say #21, was a little over $2M. These numbers will go down if the cap goes down, by the same percentage. That $5M or so difference has no effect on cap space (the Warriors have none), the tax (the Warriors will be over the line no matter what), or anything but Joe Lacob's spare change jar.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#882 » by Warriors Analyst » Sat Sep 5, 2020 11:32 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Time Lord was ballin out in game 3. I'd take a big like that.

Time Lord was a late first. You can get those types of guys in the back of the draft and not spend $10 million a year on their rookie contract as you would with Wiseman.

I can see not wanting to draft Wiseman, or any center, with a high pick for basketball reasons, but using salary as an reason doesn't make a lot of sense to me. First of all, it's not $10M -- this year the rookie scale for the #2 pick was $7.2M. A late first, say #21, was a little over $2M. These numbers will go down if the cap goes down, by the same percentage. That $5M or so difference has no effect on cap space (the Warriors have none), the tax (the Warriors will be over the line no matter what), or anything but Joe Lacob's spare change jar.

My concern is less about the impact it would have on Lacob's wallet and more about Wiseman's value on the open market. If he underplays relative to expectations, then it becomes harder to trade him in a package for a star when you can pick up competent vet C's at the minimum. Someone like Advija, Edwards, Haliburton or the like is far more likely to be worth $7 million salary, relative to their peers at their position.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#883 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:11 am

Nuggets bounce back. They start out red hot but make enough plays to hang on. People were predicting a sweep and it may still be 4-1.

But they did a good job of making Kawhi inefficient. Grant was the primary defender, a bit light in the pants at 210 pounds but has 7-3 wing span and as long as he can stay on his feet when Kawhi tries to bully his way into the paint, Kawhi is forced to pump fake or try to gather.

That causes Nuggets to swarm and they spiked his shots when he tried to get one up after picking up his dribble. Nuggets had 7 blocks, Grant and Jokic each with 3.

Kawhi doesn't look to kick out the ball when his pump faking draws secondary defenders over. Plus Clippers shot poorly from 3.

So someone with length who's able to hold his ground when Kawhi throws elbows or dips his shoulder so that his arm motion isn't obvious can stay in the play and force him to make a difficult shot attempt. Actually Kawhi did dip his shoulder in to try to create space in the fourth quarter and they called offensive foul, though he usually gets away with it, initiating contact on most of his shot attempts.

Kawhi and PG13 are too preoccupied with trying to put up points so they're often going into the paint, thinking they can finish with contact. That means they didn't look to kick out when the wings came in to help.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#884 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:09 pm

Yeah nice of Denver to make it a series....once the teams go down 0-2 I'm like....NEXT round please lol
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#885 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:11 pm

Houston v Lakers....so interesting. On paper it's a horrible match up for the big slower Lakers. Houston must be playing with house money now that they squeaked out the 7 gamer! I could see this being a shocking sweep as anything else. If you look at the WIDE WIDE WIDE open 3 point shots Houston is getting it's just about hitting a decent percentage. They are carving up the slow Lakers....
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#886 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:06 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Houston v Lakers....so interesting. On paper it's a horrible match up for the big slower Lakers. Houston must be playing with house money now that they squeaked out the 7 gamer! I could see this being a shocking sweep as anything else. If you look at the WIDE WIDE WIDE open 3 point shots Houston is getting it's just about hitting a decent percentage. They are carving up the slow Lakers....

Houston managed not to get crushed on the boards in game 1.

I would expect that to change, with all the Lakers forwards and Centers being able to push the smaller Rockets around, I mean push them in the back and get offensive rebounds, and just dominate second-chance points to keep up with the 3s.

Rockets are an average shooting team. They either have to get hot or get a lot of blow bys like they were doing in game 1.

I think NBA doesn't want to see the Lakers eliminated, at least not so early and not in a short second round series. So they will get a lot of leeway to crash the boards and literally push the smaller Rockets around.

Rockets have had problems with rebounding in several games this season playing the small lineup. So expect the Lakers to try to use that advantage.

Also don't think Tucker will be able to play as physically against AD as he did in game 1.

Too much money at stake for the Lakers to be eliminated so NBA will rig it.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#887 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:34 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Yeah nice of Denver to make it a series....once the teams go down 0-2 I'm like....NEXT round please lol

You mean like Toronto? :wink:
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#888 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:05 pm

Tyler Herro has no conscious.

And that’s a good thing. So friggen talented to go with the no fear attitude. Special scorer. And not a bad defender considering his T. rex arms.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#889 » by ShayDee » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:14 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Tyler Herro has no conscious.

And that’s a good thing. So friggen talented to go with the no fear attitude. Special scorer. And not a bad defender considering his T. rex arms.

I know another trex armed, no fear 6'5 SG, who is not bad at defense in this draft ready to play day 1 :wink:
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#890 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 10:23 pm

ShayDee wrote:

I know another trex armed, no fear 6'5 SG, who is not bad at defense in this draft ready to play day 1 :wink:

I love Haliburton, if that’s who you mean. But Herro is a big time scorer. Not sure Haliburton is that. If you’re gonna tell me Killian Hayes is Tyler Herro, then I have to disagree there as well.
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#891 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 10:26 pm

ShayDee wrote:

I love Haliburton, if that’s who you mean. But Herro is a big time scorer. Not sure Haliburton is that. If you’re gonna tell me Killian Hayes is Tyler Herro, then I have to disagree there as well

What Herro is doing at his age, in this League, is incredible.
Khoee wrote “
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#892 » by ShayDee » Sun Sep 6, 2020 10:29 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

I love Haliburton, if that’s who you mean. But Herro is a big time scorer. Not sure Haliburton is that. If you’re gonna tell me Killian Hayes is Tyler Herro, then I have to disagree there as well

I didn't mean Haliburton though. I said T-rex arms. Only one dude in 1st round this year has those
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#893 » by Little Digger » Sun Sep 6, 2020 10:30 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

Welcome to the Herro bandwagon
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#894 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:03 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

I didn't mean Haliburton though. I said T-rex arms. Only one dude in 1st round this year has those

Bane, presumably?
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#895 » by ShayDee » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:06 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Bane, presumably?

He is the chosen one if we don't pick Wiseman for me
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#896 » by Mylie10 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:02 am

Little Digger wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

Welcome to the Herro bandwagon

There’s this place you might have heard of called Kentucky. My love for Tyler started there. However I didn’t think he would be in the Warriors draft range, and he wasn’t, so I didn’t push for that.
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#897 » by Mylie10 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:04 am

ShayDee wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

Bane, presumably?

He is the chosen one if we don't pick Wiseman for me

Bane might be a great spot up shooter. But I don’t see him creating off the dribble as well as quick release shots from all over the floor. No way is Bane like Herro. Bane is more like Duncan Robinson offensively.
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#898 » by Mylie10 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:06 am

ShayDee wrote:

Sorry. I didn’t read this properly the first time. If you’re just saying play right away, then I can’t argue. Sorry about that.
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#899 » by Mylie10 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:50 am

Kaldwell Pope is terrible. He’s got to be a net negative almost every time he steps on the floor.
Khoee wrote “
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#900 » by ShayDee » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:00 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Bane might be a great spot up shooter. But I don’t see him creating off the dribble as well as quick release shots from all over the floor. No way is Bane like Herro. Bane is more like Duncan Robinson offensively.

I don't know where you got that information. Bane is a miles better shooter than Herro currently, and one of, if not the only shooter I know in this draft that can actually get his shoot off the dribble very consistently. He has an unorthodox form but it is very consistent and he can speed it up if he wants without any sort of hitch and it looks so pure effortless. His ball handling is also weird but like I said it did not affect him. He also showed to be a better half court player than Herro. He can get his shot off the dribble, his athleticism just limits him from getting by his defenders constantly

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/04/06/desmond-bane-scouting-report/

Return to Golden State Warriors