ImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA, 2020/21 Edition

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#981 » by pepe1991 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 6:06 am

PJ Tucker. Saw it somewhere in youtube comments , there are point guards, shooting guards he is prison guard :rofl:

Guy can flat out defend. Man even Harden plays defense
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#982 » by GelbeWand09 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 7:16 am

The 2 best defensive teams of the playoffs, doesnt play a guy over 6-8 in there main rotation. Tucker, Covington, Theis & Williams just can switch almost everything but are athletic & long (Hey wingspan lol) or in Tuckers case strong enough to protect the paint.
Boston is even 2nd. in Blocks despite two 6-8 Centers.
They doesnt allow Fastbreak points, because they are all so quick to get back. Houston is No.1 in that category & Boston 3rd despite playing against the best fast break team of the regular season.
One of the reason its just a shame that JI can't stay healthy. He can play exactly that defense but as a 7ft version. Same with Bam.

Watching Miami is really hard. They built a contender in 1 offseason lol
Btw there biggest main rotation guy is 6-9 Bam, the rest are again a armada of 6-6 - 6-8 wings who can shoot & defend.
Props to Butler. Never thought he is a legit No.1 option on a serious contender.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#983 » by pepe1991 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 7:40 am

GelbeWand09 wrote:The 2 best defensive teams of the playoffs, doesnt play a guy over 6-8 in there main rotation. Tucker, Covington, Theis & Williams just can switch almost everything but are athletic & long (Hey wingspan lol) or in Tuckers case strong enough to protect the paint.
They doesnt allow Fastbreak points, because they are all so quick to get back. Houston is No.1 in that category & Boston 3rd despite playing against the best fast break team of the regular season.
One of the reason its just a shame that JI can't stay healthy. He can play exactly that defense but as a 7ft version. Same with Bam.

Btw there biggest main rotation guy is 6-9 Bam, the rest are again a armada of 6-6 - 6-8 wings who can shoot & defend.
Props to Butler. Never thought he is a legit No.1 option on a serious contender.

Jeff Green is center on contender. What a time to be alive :rofl:

Bam is faster than half of wings.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#984 » by tiderulz » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:25 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:The 2 best defensive teams of the playoffs, doesnt play a guy over 6-8 in there main rotation. Tucker, Covington, Theis & Williams just can switch almost everything but are athletic & long (Hey wingspan lol) or in Tuckers case strong enough to protect the paint.

great scouting and player development.

we could have had Bam, but took Isaac.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#985 » by pepe1991 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:21 am

I don't care about how fensy it looks, Celtics still get abused in paint without solid center.
Raptors turned 8 offensive rebounds into 24 second chance points :rofl:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#986 » by Bensational » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:41 am

Bam is what we should groom Isaac to be more like. Strengthen him, allow him to make athletic plays just not ones that have him diving and jump stopping on his knees like a guard attacking the paint.

It might limit him from being a Giannis-like patroller, but he could be Bam/Gobert-like, Ive no doubt. And it might allow him to stay healthier longer?
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#987 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:23 pm

Bensational wrote:Bam is what we should groom Isaac to be more like. Strengthen him, allow him to make athletic plays just not ones that have him diving and jump stopping on his knees like a guard attacking the paint.

It might limit him from being a Giannis-like patroller, but he could be Bam/Gobert-like, Ive no doubt. And it might allow him to stay healthier longer?

Bam has a much better feel for the game on the offensive end than Isaac imo
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Post#988 » by cedric76 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:35 pm

Bensational wrote:Bam is what we should groom Isaac to be more like. Strengthen him, allow him to make athletic plays just not ones that have him diving and jump stopping on his knees like a guard attacking the paint.

Isaac will be far better than bam
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#989 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:13 pm

cedric76 wrote:

Isaac isn’t even better than Bam right now.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#990 » by tiderulz » Sun Sep 6, 2020 9:20 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Isaac isn’t even better than Bam right now.

yeah, i agree. not sure on that Isaac prediction. he needs to learn how to stay healthy first
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#991 » by pepe1991 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:24 am

my worst fears of this playoffs are happening. Players went from doing nothing (or close to nothing ) , without any significant training camp back to playing and playoffs are being shaped by injuries.
Giannis, LIllard, Jokić are just some of names that are hurt.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#992 » by tiderulz » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:36 pm

pepe1991 wrote:my worst fears of this playoffs are happening. Players went from doing nothing (or close to nothing ) , without any significant training camp back to playing and playoffs are being shaped by injuries.

these injuries dont look like something that happened because they were out of shape. Lillard's hand/finger went sideways swiping for a ball. training camp wouldnt have prevented that. Giannias ankle twisted coming down on someone's foot. Again, training camp wouldnt have prevented that. Jokic with an injured wrist, i cant say as i didnt see it happen. But again, it doesnt sound like anything that a training camp would prevent.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#993 » by Knightro » Mon Sep 7, 2020 1:28 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:my worst fears of this playoffs are happening. Players went from doing nothing (or close to nothing ) , without any significant training camp back to playing and playoffs are being shaped by injuries.

these injuries dont look like something that happened because they were out of shape. Lillard's hand/finger went sideways swiping for a ball. training camp wouldnt have prevented that. Giannias ankle twisted coming down on someone's foot. Again, training camp wouldnt have prevented that. Jokic with an injured wrist, i cant say as i didnt see it happen. But again, it doesnt sound like anything that a training camp would prevent.

Agreed 100%. Trauma injuries are pretty random and don't have a huge amount to do with how in-shape a player is.

Soft tissue injuries - strained groin, hamstring, calf, etc - those are the signs of a guy ramping up his intensity too quick or not being in good enough shape.

But also, it's September 7th. These guys have been in the bubble playing basketball for 2 months now. No one still playing is out of shape at this point IMO.
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 726

Post#994 » by CZ Eddie » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:22 am

Wow, Billy Donnovan not being retained in Oklahoma.
Another Coach who's team excelled beyond expectations and yet he doesn't get another year.
They are hard-core tanking next year. Bet.

Let's hope Billy takes a year off and waits for the Magic just in case things don't work out with OUR Coach next year.
Keep your politics out of my sports
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#995 » by SOUL » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:25 am

CZ Eddie wrote:Wow, Billy Donnovan not being retained in Oklahoma.
Another Coach who's team excelled beyond expectations and yet he doesn't get another year.
They are hard-core tanking next year. Bet.

Let's hope Billy takes a year off and waits for the Magic just in case things don't work out with OUR Coach next year.

OKC fans were not very thrilled with Donovan. Kind of how Charlotte fans felt about Clifford. Can overachieve with a team for a year or 2 but otherwise just "meh" feelings towards the guy.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#996 » by Knightro » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:41 am

There are a lot of rumblings out there that Oklahoma City is going to blow it up and rebuild.

Can't imagine Donovan was super thrilled about the prospect of having to navigate that. Seems like the split was amicable.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#997 » by Hogified05 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:12 am

Knightro wrote:There are a lot of rumblings out there that Oklahoma City is going to blow it up and rebuild.

Can't imagine Donovan was super thrilled about the prospect of having to navigate that. Seems like the split was amicable.

I predict he ends up back in college after a year. I think he got his thirst quenched for the NBA those 5 years. Didn't have a horrible run at all. I think his heart was always in college more than the NBA. I think I know the spot too. IU. Indiana is starved to get back to relevance. He puts them there immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if they canned their coach this year and went after him.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#998 » by Ducklett » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:33 am

Hogified05 wrote:
Knightro wrote:There are a lot of rumblings out there that Oklahoma City is going to blow it up and rebuild.

I predict he ends up back in college after a year. I think he got his thirst quenched for the NBA those 5 years. Didn't have a horrible run at all. I think his heart was always in college more than the NBA. I think I know the spot too. IU. Indiana is starved to get back to relevance. He puts them there immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if they canned their coach this year and went after him.

I would hope that UF would go get him before letting him go to another school. That would be a stupid, stupid move to keep Coach White over the Gator GOAT.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#999 » by pepe1991 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:01 am

OKC didn't pass first round of playoffs since Durant left them in 2016.

Imo they refused to rebuild because how small market they are. After all, we talk about franchise who traded Harden to save $4M :lol:
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1000 » by tiderulz » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:57 pm

pepe1991 wrote:

OKC didn't pass first round of playoffs since Durant left them in 2016.

Imo they refused to rebuild because how small market they are. After all, we talk about franchise who traded Harden to save $4M :lol:

well, when you build your team around a superstar and that star leaves, the team always falls off. with Russ as their best player afterwards and a limited offense, they still made the playoffs in the west every year (especially this past year). Yes, they got bounced, but their front office didnt do Billy any favors.

Return to Orlando Magic