ImageImage

2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#1161 » by UNCNYC » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:19 pm

First round draft picks are nice but sooo lame lol.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1162 » by UNCNYC » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:28 pm

I dunno, I guess I equate 2nd round draft picks to finding something that serves a purpose without intent.

Of course you can do that with a 1st round pick...

Take cars for instance. I LOVE(ed) Wranglers (now loving the new Bronco btw lol)
Spoiler:

But I would trade it in for a restored Thing anyday.
Spoiler:

They say the Knicks never won a championship. I beg to differ, because although the Bulls won 6. John Starks THE DUNK was
arguably the most amazing moment of that era.

Sometimes you win, in your attempts to be happy.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1163 » by UNCNYC » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:51 pm

This video is kinda meh, but I posted it because I want to introduce you guys to what hopefully will be our new Charlotte Hornet. I will definitely be drafting him with our #32 pick. Oh at the end he makes 16 in a row. How fitting since 16x2=32 lol. Well I figured I would add a 2 pt layup myself lol.

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#1164 » by amcoolio » Sat Sep 5, 2020 7:36 pm

-Ian- wrote:
Read on Twitter

• 22-Year-Old Cutoff for Lottery Picks
The question about whether to avoid older players in the lottery becomes relevant again this October. Obi Toppin, college basketball's National Player of the Year, already turned 22 and is expected to draw top-five interest.

On one hand, there is a perception that he's one of the safest options based on his physical profile and production. On the other, it's worth asking whether Toppin dominated college players because he was older and more physically developed. And then, does he still have the same window to improve? After all, he'll be starting his pro career later and closer to his ceiling.

• The Late Riser
• Low-Assist Wings
• Low-Block Bigs
• No Bankable Skill
The "master of none" prospects in the 2020 draft to worry about include potential lottery picks Deni Avdija, Isaac Okoro, Precious Achiuwa, Patrick Williams and RJ Hampton.

Good read. Thanks.

Avdija is still really young and playing against men and putting up winning basketball, and Okoro has Heat culture-like hunger so I like both of those, but I agree on Toppin. Want no part of him. Toppin would be good for the Nets or a team that needs to contend for the finals in the next few years.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1165 » by UNCNYC » Sat Sep 5, 2020 11:58 pm

I wonder if anyone will fall to 56 pick. I would LOVE if Zeke Nnaji did.

PICK 3 - Killian Hayes

PICK 32 - Isaiah Joe

PICK 56 - Zeke Nnaji

That would be my dream draft. Not sure if Zeke will fall that far. I have seen some weird mocks with Tyler Bey and Tyrell Terry falling to 45. I would love something weird like Balmoro at 56.

Who I would take in order if fell to us at 56

CJ Elleby
LaMar Stevens
Elijah Huges
Rayshaun Hammonds
Paul Reed
Kristian Doolitle
Reggie Perry
Ty'shon Alexander
Karim Mane
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1166 » by UNCNYC » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:13 pm

I want us to invite Jarron Cumberland to summer league if he goes undrafted so we can create a thread called

"HULK REIGNS" the Jarron Cumberland thread lol. I am a fan man. Dude has star potential.

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#1167 » by driveandkick » Sun Sep 6, 2020 5:09 pm

If he has star potential why would he go undrafted?
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1168 » by UNCNYC » Sun Sep 6, 2020 5:29 pm

driveandkick wrote:If he has star potential why would he go undrafted?

I hope he doesn't go undrafted but just because I see the star potential in him doesn't mean someone else would.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1169 » by UNCNYC » Sun Sep 6, 2020 5:31 pm

My last post on Cumberland but he could give a team 3 positions imo. We don't need him on this team due to the Martin twins. He imo is like them but with more edge... and more star appeal. (not superstar but more like a cult following). Here is my last video on him. Unlike the other videos this one shows him both as a PG and as a SG/SF. Good value pick late

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1170 » by UNCNYC » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:26 pm

I have narrowed my number 1 pick kinda to 2 players. Those players are Killian Hayes and believe it or not Tyrell Terry. If not for Hayes I think I would take Terry with our 3rd pick. What I would do if I were GM is trade the 3rd pick and hope we can get Terry at like 15.

PICK 3 - Tyrell Terry

PICK 32 - Isaiah Joe

PICK 56 - CJ Elleby, LaMar Stevens, Jay Scrubb

and pick up a future 1st or 2.

I am even considering drafting Terry without the first rounders thrown in. I doubt highly I would over Hayes tho. I HOPE Terry doesn't drop to pick 32 because he is the only player that would give me a little thought with who to take between he and Joe.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#1171 » by wilson115 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 9:44 pm

countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#1172 » by countryboi » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:47 am

amcoolio wrote:
-Ian- wrote:
Read on Twitter

The question about whether to avoid older players in the lottery becomes relevant again this October. Obi Toppin, college basketball's National Player of the Year, already turned 22 and is expected to draw top-five interest.

On one hand, there is a perception that he's one of the safest options based on his physical profile and production. On the other, it's worth asking whether Toppin dominated college players because he was older and more physically developed. And then, does he still have the same window to improve? After all, he'll be starting his pro career later and closer to his ceiling.

• The Late Riser
• Low-Assist Wings
• Low-Block Bigs
• No Bankable Skill
The "master of none" prospects in the 2020 draft to worry about include potential lottery picks Deni Avdija, Isaac Okoro, Precious Achiuwa, Patrick Williams and RJ Hampton.

Good read. Thanks.

Avdija is still really young and playing against men and putting up winning basketball, and Okoro has Heat culture-like hunger so I like both of those, but I agree on Toppin. Want no part of him. Toppin would be good for the Nets or a team that needs to contend for the finals in the next few years.

he lost me when he blasted Buddy Hield, i think that was a poor example for his point
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1173 » by UNCNYC » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:58 am

To me the top 10 players in this whole draft in order are

1. Killian Hayes
2. Tyrell Terry
3. Devon Dotson
4. Isaiah Joe
5. LaMelo Ball
6. Ty'shon Alexander
7. Devin Vassell
8. Patrick WIlliams
9. Leandro Balmaro
10. JaDen McDaniels
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#1174 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:48 am

Recap for anyone who doesn't want to listen to the entire thing.

They only talked about four guys in our range at #3.

They both liked Killian Hayes. Pearlman seemed to think hes pretty good, but not great. Said he needs to improve his shot and right hand. Said he has some counters to teams forcing him right already because he has a decent pullup going right. Said his ceiling is probably around 8th-12th best PG in the league. Said he is a good player, but likely won't be an offensive engine by himself, which would limit him relative to the elite tier PGs. They both liked him as a pickup for NY if he makes it to 8, but Pearlman said he has a good chance of going top 5.

They both were really low on Obi Toppin. Basically said hes going to be an absolute disaster defensively and has less upside being 22 already. Pearlman said he'll have value as a high level finisher and vertical spacer, is a good passer, and has shooting potential, but neither though he would be a good pick even at 8 for NY.

The NY guy didn't want them to take Wiseman if he fell to 8 and didn't seem too high on him, but he didn't really say anything specific about his game and it wasn't clear if that was because they already have Mitchell Robinson, or he just doesn't like him as a prospect. Pearlman wasn't super high on him, but thought he was a good prospect and safe bet to be a good player if he plays a Gobert like role and doesn't try to shoot jumpers until he develops his shot for a couple years. Basically said he'll be a good rebounder and rim protector and a good finisher and vertical spacer on offense. Pearlman specifically said he though he was a safe pickup for Charlotte because they needed a big and he likes his fit with PJ (who he loves).

Pearlman talked a little bit about Okongwu. Said he should be an excellent and versatile defender. Said hes a really good finisher with either hand and explodes to the rim with a lot of power. Said he showed flashes of being a good passer, but didn't get utilized very much in the short roll because he got played at PF a lot. He never said anything about what range he thinks he'll get picked.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#1175 » by Braggins » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:57 am

amcoolio wrote:
-Ian- wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

• The Late Riser
• Low-Assist Wings
• Low-Block Bigs
• No Bankable Skill

Good read. Thanks.

I liked how in the section about bigs with low block rates, three of the first five players mentioned were lottery picks by the Hornets during the Cho/Clifford era lol.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#1176 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:12 am

Braggins wrote:

Recap for anyone who doesn't want to listen to the entire thing.

They only talked about four guys in our range at #3.

They both liked Killian Hayes. Pearlman seemed to think hes pretty good, but not great. Said he needs to improve his shot and right hand. Said he has some counters to teams forcing him right already because he has a decent pullup going right. Said his ceiling is probably around 8th-12th best PG in the league. Said he is a good player, but likely won't be an offensive engine by himself, which would limit him relative to the elite tier PGs. They both liked him as a pickup for NY if he makes it to 8, but Pearlman said he has a good chance of going top 5.

They both were really low on Obi Toppin. Basically said hes going to be an absolute disaster defensively and has less upside being 22 already. Pearlman said he'll have value as a high level finisher and vertical spacer, is a good passer, and has shooting potential, but neither though he would be a good pick even at 8 for NY.

The NY guy didn't want them to take Wiseman if he fell to 8 and didn't seem too high on him, but he didn't really say anything specific about his game and it wasn't clear if that was because they already have Mitchell Robinson, or he just doesn't like him as a prospect. Pearlman wasn't super high on him, but thought he was a good prospect and safe bet to be a good player if he plays a Gobert like role and doesn't try to shoot jumpers until he develops his shot for a couple years. Basically said he'll be a good rebounder and rim protector and a good finisher and vertical spacer on offense. Pearlman specifically said he though he was a safe pickup for Charlotte because they needed a big and he likes his fit with PJ (who he loves).

Pearlman talked a little bit about Okongwu. Said he should be an excellent and versatile defender. Said hes a really good finisher with either hand and explodes to the rim with a lot of power. Said he showed flashes of being a good passer, but didn't get utilized very much in the short roll because he got played at PF a lot. He never said anything about what range he thinks he'll get picked.

Thanks for the recap. Pretty much reinforces my thoughts re: Toppin and Hayes.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#1177 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:13 am

Braggins wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
-Ian- wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

• The Late Riser
• Low-Assist Wings
• Low-Block Bigs
• No Bankable Skill

Good read. Thanks.

I liked how in the section about bigs with low block rates, three of the first five players mentioned were lottery picks by the Hornets during the Cho/Clifford era lol.

He pretty much could have made another category: Anyone Rich Cho is high on
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,665

Post#1178 » by Diop » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:24 am

UNCNYC wrote:My last post on Cumberland but he could give a team 3 positions imo. We don't need him on this team due to the Martin twins. He imo is like them but with more edge... and more star appeal. (not superstar but more like a cult following). Here is my last video on him. Unlike the other videos this one shows him both as a PG and as a SG/SF. Good value pick late

reminded me of Bacon with his bullish drives
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,562

Post#1179 » by fatlever » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:34 am

amcoolio wrote:
-Ian- wrote:
Read on Twitter

• The Late Riser
• Low-Assist Wings
• Low-Block Bigs
• No Bankable Skill

Good read. Thanks.

article looks familiar..... hmmmm

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Eight-Common-Profiles-of-a-Bust---Back-by-Unpopular-Demand-2116/

what an amazing writer. i wonder what happened to that dude???
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1180 » by UNCNYC » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:44 am

Diop wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:My last post on Cumberland but he could give a team 3 positions imo. We don't need him on this team due to the Martin twins. He imo is like them but with more edge... and more star appeal. (not superstar but more like a cult following). Here is my last video on him. Unlike the other videos this one shows him both as a PG and as a SG/SF. Good value pick late

reminded me of Bacon with his bullish drives

LMAO

HULK VS BACONATOR
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman

Return to Charlotte Hornets