2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#221 » by youngWizzy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:42 am

payitforward wrote:
youngWizzy wrote:... I just think (Reed is) too talented and was too productive to pass at 37.

Unless someone even more promising is still on the board....

Do you have Paul Reed rated above Tyler Bey? Vernon Carey?

Not challenging -- just asking.

Yeah I would prefer Bey as opposed to Reed at 37. With Carey I'm more concerned with if he will be able to switch ball screens especially high ball screens at his weight and frame. I think he was a terrific player in college but I think he may struggle defensively in the pros.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#222 » by Kanyewest » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:24 am

If Bey comes out and he's a 2nd round pick, that could be a bad miscalculation on his part given that he's only a sophomore. Although I guess Brunson did leave early technically and was a 2nd round pick although I'm not sure what Brunson could have done to increase his stock even more.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#223 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Might be some confusion about which "Bey" we're talking about? Tyler Bey is a Junior. Saddiq Bey is a Sophomore, but I haven't ever seen him projected in R2 -- most often somewhere between #10-20.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#224 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:44 pm

With Tommy Sheppard talking about buying R2 picks, it might make sense to expand the way we look at this part of the draft -- aside from our own #37 pick, maybe we'll have either the #34 or #36 pick from Philly? Or the #45 pick from Boston? Or... both? :) (nah...)

A couple of guys we haven't talked about in a while who could easily go 31-37: Leandro Bolmaro & Reggie Perry.

Further thoughts...?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#225 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:50 pm

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#226 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Yet another big who'll be available is Nick Richards from Kentucky. He was a slow developer but really came on as the season progressed. And there's room for further growth - made 75% of his FT's. Not a high BBIQ player - gets basically no assists and no steals, but he'll score, rebound, and block shots. 10 years ago, he'd probably be a late 1st rounder. Now... he might not get drafted.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#227 » by pcbothwel » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:Yet another big who'll be available is Nick Richards from Kentucky. He was a slow developer but really came on as the season progressed. And there's room for further growth - made 75% of his FT's. Not a high BBIQ player - gets basically no assists and no steals, but he'll score, rebound, and block shots. 10 years ago, he'd probably be a late 1st rounder. Now... he might not get drafted.

As he shouldnt. You already point out the assist, but the lack of steals is even more alarming. Those combined show me he has a almost non existent BBIQ, and the game is just too nuanced an fast paced today.
If you want a UDFA 15th man/big role that compete with AP in training camp, then take a shot on Austin Wiley out of Auburn.

He's a Senior, but only 21 and had a knee injury two years ago that stunted his growth. His ceiling is limited because of his limited shooting range and lack of lateral quickness... But... He does a few things VERY well.
1) Rebounding: He is the best rebounder in the class due to size (6'10 with massive 7'5 wingpsan) and good instincts
2) Rim Protecting: He Block rate is on par with Oturu and Jalen Smith
3) Draw fouls: a 90% FTA :o :o :o is ridiculous and the reasoning is simple and the same as above.
- WIley is a BIG, former 5-Star recruit, that is strong as an oxe and plays physcial. He will rebound, defend the paint, and if he get the ball in the paint, he is going right at you finish or draw the foul.

Nothing special, but a nice UDFA to keep an eye on.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#228 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:08 pm

Agree about Wiley -- for a guy who is very unlikely to be drafted, he has a pretty good shot to carve out a role for himself in the league.

Might be useful to compile a list of guys like that at all positions: worth a thread of its own?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:51 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yet another big who'll be available is Nick Richards from Kentucky. He was a slow developer but really came on as the season progressed. And there's room for further growth - made 75% of his FT's. Not a high BBIQ player - gets basically no assists and no steals, but he'll score, rebound, and block shots. 10 years ago, he'd probably be a late 1st rounder. Now... he might not get drafted.

As he shouldnt. You already point out the assist, but the lack of steals is even more alarming. Those combined show me he has a almost non existent BBIQ, and the game is just too nuanced an fast paced today.
If you want a UDFA 15th man/big role that compete with AP in training camp, then take a shot on Austin Wiley out of Auburn.

He's a Senior, but only 21 and had a knee injury two years ago that stunted his growth. His ceiling is limited because of his limited shooting range and lack of lateral quickness... But... He does a few things VERY well.
1) Rebounding: He is the best rebounder in the class due to size (6'10 with massive 7'5 wingpsan) and good instincts
3) Draw fouls: a 90% FTA :o :o :o is ridiculous and the reasoning is simple and the same as above.
- WIley is a BIG, former 5-Star recruit, that is strong as an oxe and plays physcial. He will rebound, defend the paint, and if he get the ball in the paint, he is going right at you finish or draw the foul.

Why don't you think Wiley's lack of steals is alarming? 0.3 a game for his career. Granted, he never played much in his 3 seasons, so maybe that's not bad. You said it yourself - he had a severe knee injury. He's simply not athletic enough for the NBA, imo. At least Richards has the physical ability and signs of shooting ability to play in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#230 » by pcbothwel » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Why don't you think Wiley's lack of steals is alarming? 0.3 a game for his career. Granted, he never played much in his 3 seasons, so maybe that's not bad. You said it yourself - he had a severe knee injury. He's simply not athletic enough for the NBA, imo. At least Richards has the physical ability and signs of shooting ability to play in the NBA.

Hmmm. Compared to Richards, Wiley gets 3X the Assist, 10X the Steals, and 60% more rebounds.
He's a better defender than Richards as well, even if his lateral quickness is below average.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#231 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:41 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Hmmm. Compared to Richards, Wiley gets 3X the Assist, 10X the Steals, and 60% more rebounds.
He's a better defender than Richards as well, even if his lateral quickness is below average.

And yet Richards - even though he's a borderline prospect - has a much better chance of success in the NBA.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#232 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:32 pm

Along these lines, what do either of you -- or anyone else -- think of Udoka Azubuike?
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#233 » by youngWizzy » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:48 pm

payitforward wrote:Along these lines, what do either of you -- or anyone else -- think of Udoka Azubuike?

I don't like his NBA outlook. He's a guy who won't be able to switch or guard pick and rolls in the NBA at that height, size, mobility.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#234 » by pcbothwel » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:24 pm

youngWizzy wrote:
payitforward wrote:Along these lines, what do either of you -- or anyone else -- think of Udoka Azubuike?

I don't like his NBA outlook. He's a guy who won't be able to switch or guard pick and rolls in the NBA at that height, size, mobility.

This... I absolutely hate his feet and hips... He will get killed on the switch. Also, its easy to score efficiently when every shot is at the rim and you're a man child... But he is not a good basketball athlete, cant hit a FT to save his life, doesnt see the floor.

That said, he will rebound and block shots, so ill certainly have an opportunity... but I just dont see him being able to hang defensively and his inability to hit a FT only further limits his already limited offensive game.
UDFA, sure... but wouldnt take him in the top 50 picks. No chance.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#235 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:35 am

Check out this guy:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#236 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 3, 2020 7:51 pm

payitforward
RealGM

Post#237 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:14 pm

Just watch these highlight reels -- he can put the ball on the floor, can score with either hand. Moves well. He needs to improve his 3-point shot, but he's not afraid to take them.

Interviews show him as articulate, thoughtful & mature.

I will be surprised if this kid doesn't play in the NBA. In fact, I will be surprised if he doesn't have a long, productive NBA career. Kyle O'Quinn is the obvious model -- Like O'Quinn, Knight won the Henson Award as the mid-major player of the year. But, I think Knight might actually be a better player than O'Quinn.

I'd love to buy the #47 pick Boston owns & use it on this kid.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#238 » by doclinkin » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:10 am

Sure, good pick up as an UDFA or a late pick. But if we get a pick late and add sensible picks early we might also take a flier on an athletic hypertalent like Kenyon Martin Jr. He was putting up highlights in Drew League and other pro-am runs. With a team of sensible smart players around him and a good developmental squad it would be interesting to see if he can hone that high flying dunk and block game to something NBA caliber. Looks like he may even still be growing.

Still Nathan Knight definitely can play, and if with professional trainers he can put on muscle and burn off the spare tire, you never know what additional upside he may uncover.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#239 » by pcbothwel » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:08 pm

payitforward wrote:Just watch these highlight reels -- he can put the ball on the floor, can score with either hand. Moves well. He needs to improve his 3-point shot, but he's not afraid to take them.

I will be surprised if this kid doesn't play in the NBA. In fact, I will be surprised if he doesn't have a long, productive NBA career. Kyle O'Quinn is the obvious model -- Like O'Quinn, Knight won the Henson Award as the mid-major player of the year. But, I think Knight might actually be a better player than O'Quinn.

Wow... Im baffled by how good he looks. Obviously he'll need to answer some questions defensively, but his feet, coordination, ball handling, shooting/touch, vision, and motor is really something special.
Sure, he is a bit older and the level of competition is a real issue, especially for bigs... but man he is interesting.

Seems like the perfect guy to draft in the late 40's/early 50's... Boston and Philly seem like perfect calls to make.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#240 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:28 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:Just watch these highlight reels -- he can put the ball on the floor, can score with either hand. Moves well. He needs to improve his 3-point shot, but he's not afraid to take them.

Wow... Im baffled by how good he looks. Obviously he'll need to answer some questions defensively, but his feet, coordination, ball handling, shooting/touch, vision, and motor is really something special....

Yup, that's definitely what I saw. Especially the ball handling. I haven't seen a lot of guys his size who can do what he does.

Knight is going to play the 4 in the NBA. He won't be easy to guard.
pcbothwel wrote:Sure, he is a bit older and the level of competition is a real issue, especially for bigs... but man he is interesting.

Well, he isn't going to post numbers in the NBA to match what he does in the CAA! :) But, I'm not sure the level of competition will erase the skills you see on display when he's on the floor. & you are right to call out his motor -- nor do I see the "spare tire" that caught doclinkin's eye.

OTOH, defense will be a huge adjustment for him, obviously.
pcbothwel wrote:Seems like the perfect guy to draft in the late 40's/early 50's... Boston and Philly seem like perfect calls to make.

I would love to have this kid on our roster!

Return to Washington Wizards