Let's say the 2020 NBA Draft is the 2013 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Let's say the 2020 NBA Draft is the 2013 NBA Draft 

Post#1 » by NYG » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:56 am

The Anthony Bennett draft is frequently compared to this year's draft.

Let's just say it is...

1. This year's Anthony Bennett: Which player has the best odds to be a tier 2 player that goes 1st overall on draft night?

2. This year's Victor Oladipo: Which player projected in the top 5 has the best odds to be a late bloomer?

3. This year's Nerlens Noel: Which player has the best odds of the projected top 3 (James Wiseman, Anthony Edwards and LaMelo Ball) to fall out of the top 5?

4. This year's Giannis Antetokounmpo: Which player projected in the late lottery/mid-first has the best odds to be the best player in this draft?

5. This year's Rudy Gobert: Which player projected in the late first round has the best odds to be a Defensive Player of the Year winner?

6. This year's James Ennis: Which player projected in the late second round has the best odds to still be in the NBA in 7 years?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Re: Let's say the 2020 NBA Draft is the 2013 NBA Draft 

Post#2 » by NYG » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:59 am

1. This year's Anthony Bennett: Which player has the best odds to be a tier 2 player that goes 1st overall on draft night?
Deni Avdija

2. This year's Victor Oladipo: Which player projected in the top 5 has the best odds to be a late bloomer?
Killian Hayes

3. This year's Nerlens Noel: Which player has the best odds of the projected top 3 (James Wiseman, Anthony Edwards and LaMelo Ball) to fall out of the top 5?
James Wiseman

4. This year's Giannis Antetokounmpo: Which player projected in the late lottery/mid-first has the best odds to be the best player in this draft?
Tyrese Maxey

5. This year's Rudy Gobert: Which player projected in the late first round has the best odds to be a Defensive Player of the Year winner?
Tyler Bey

6. This year's James Ennis: Which player projected in the late second round has the best odds to still be in the NBA in 7 years?
Paul Reed
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#3 » by big-shot-ROB » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:22 am

NYG wrote:1. This year's Anthony Bennett: Which player has the best odds to be a tier 2 player that goes 1st overall on draft night?
Deni Avdija

Killian Hayes

James Wiseman

Tyrese Maxey

Tyler Bey

Paul Reed

I'd only change Maxey for Poku given uncertainty around his body type and frame, but spot on.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#4 » by King Ken » Mon Sep 7, 2020 1:04 pm

NYG wrote:The Anthony Bennett draft is frequently compared to this year's draft.

Let's just say it is...

1. James Wiseman
2. Obi Toppin if he lands in a spot where he is a backup for a minute
3. None but there is a chance its Wiseman.
4. There is no Giannis in this draft. Cole Anthony, Maxey, or one of the PGs in this range.
5. This one is tough, I don't know if there is a Rudy Gobert. I can see a late 1st rounder becoming an all star in this draft.
6. This draft is much stronger depth wise than that one. It could be so many people. I'll say Payton Pritchard
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#5 » by nolang1 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:29 pm

NYG wrote:The Anthony Bennett draft is frequently compared to this year's draft.

Let's just say it is...

1. Edwards

2. Vassell

3. Ball

4. Pokusevski

5. Paul Reed

6. Azuibuike
josephcurrency
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#6 » by josephcurrency » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:50 pm

Let's just say it is...

1. Wiseman — The league is too guard-friendly for the other two potential No. 1s to fail that hard.
2. Obi Toppin — He'll be good right away but I think he can grow into something great.
3. Wiseman for the same reason as #1.
4. Probably Cole Anthony but I also like Nico Mannion to be a really solid player.
5. Onyeka Okongwu but I don't think anyone comes close to Gobert in this draft.
6. Payton Prichard seems like the type of guy who can carve out a less annoying Dellavedova-esque career.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#7 » by EMG518 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:45 pm

Let's just say it is...

Lamelo Ball although I think Edwards goes first and he is my next choice.

James Wiseman

Lamelo Ball

Patrick Williams

Precious Achiuwa

Payton Pritchard

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:56 pm

Let's just say it is...

Toppin
Wiseman
Ball
Ramsey
McDaniels
Mason Jones
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:58 pm

josephcurrency wrote:

Let's just say it is...

1. Wiseman — The league is too guard-friendly for the other two potential No. 1s to fail that hard.
2. Obi Toppin — He'll be good right away but I think he can grow into something great.
3. Wiseman for the same reason as #1.
4. Probably Cole Anthony but I also like Nico Mannion to be a really solid player.
5. Onyeka Okongwu but I don't think anyone comes close to Gobert in this draft.
6. Payton Prichard seems like the type of guy who can carve out a less annoying Dellavedova-esque career.

Okongwu is not projected in the late first he is a top 10 lock ...just saying doesnt fit the op rules for answering
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#10 » by aguiar95 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:40 pm

Let's just say it is...

1: D. Vassell
2: K. Hayes
3: L. Ball
4: R.J. Hampton
5: X. Tillman Sr.
6: M. Flynn
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#11 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:54 pm

1. This year's Anthony Bennett: Achiuwa

2. This year's Victor Oladipo: Okoro

3. This year's Nerlens Noel: Okongwu

4. This year's Giannis Antetokounmpo: Pokusevski or McDaniels

5. This year's Rudy Gobert: Oturu

6. This year's James Ennis: Hughes
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#12 » by pcbothwel » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:32 pm

NYG wrote:1. This year's Anthony Bennett: Which player has the best odds to be a tier 2 player that goes 1st overall on draft night?
Deni Avdija

Killian Hayes

James Wiseman

Tyrese Maxey

Tyler Bey

Paul Reed

Damn NYG... I was excited for this exercise... but then you stole all my answers...lol
One change...
This years Giannis would probably be Poku...With Hampton and Cole Anthony as possibilities.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:02 am

Let's just say it is...

1. I dont think anyone is going to be as bad of a pick as Bennett was. Like he was immediately out of the league. I've never seen a first pick in the draft barely make a team until him. But I don't think Anthony Edwards is the player everyone expects him to be. He'll be solid in the way Tyreke Evans was solid.

2. LaMelo Ball. He won't be ready right away and he'll need some time to grow up.

3. Deni Avidja. I don't think he's going to be drafted top 5 and think he's a little overrated. Still think he'll be a lottery pick, but not top 5. Maybe not even top 10.

4. Tyrese Haliburton. I'm very sold on his upside. I think he has a lot more than people give him credit for and people don't give enough credit for how much growth hes shown the last two years. If he can do that his entire career he has a huge trajectory. Like perennial all-star.

5. Paul Reed. He's probably one of the best defenders in the draft with his size. He's going to be a steal where he goes.

6. Yoeli Childs. I don't think he's an NBA player right now, but he's so skilled. If he can increase is ability to move and defend and he gets in the best shape of his like I think we're talking about the second coming of Paul Millsap, who he admires.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:17 am

reading these I think its so funny how overrated some of these guys are. Tyler Bey and Xavier Tillman specifically. Not saying they won't be fine players, but players with their profiles don't tend to be super successful. I actually think Yves Pons is a much better defender than Bey even though Bey has the numbers to back him up. Bey can get by with his passing and movement off-ball, but he has like no offensive skill. He's also a better help defender than on-ball defender. Xavier Tillman has a profile of many guys I've liked before who did well in college and didn't make the league. I think theres a chance he gets drafted and gets minutes, but I dont think you can expect more than a situational roleplayer from him. Tillman just also has a lot to learn on both sides of the ball. He has a good feel for the game on both sides of the ball, but really needs to develop a lot of his skill.

It just comes down to the NBA being a skilled league. And if these guys aren't skilled as bigs they are going to have a problem in the league. They can both get by with what they have now, but they won't be getting a lot of minutes.

There are a lot of PFs and Cs in this draft that put up numbers, but aren't skilled.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#15 » by Stillwater » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:14 am

doordoor123 wrote:reading these I think its so funny how overrated some of these guys are. Tyler Bey and Xavier Tillman specifically. Not saying they won't be fine players, but players with their profiles don't tend to be super successful. I actually think Yves Pons is a much better defender than Bey even though Bey has the numbers to back him up. Bey can get by with his passing and movement off-ball, but he has like no offensive skill. He's also a better help defender than on-ball defender. Xavier Tillman has a profile of many guys I've liked before who did well in college and didn't make the league. I think theres a chance he gets drafted and gets minutes, but I dont think you can expect more than a situational roleplayer from him. Tillman just also has a lot to learn on both sides of the ball. He has a good feel for the game on both sides of the ball, but really needs to develop a lot of his skill.

It just comes down to the NBA being a skilled league. And if these guys aren't skilled as bigs they are going to have a problem in the league. They can both get by with what they have now, but they won't be getting a lot of minutes.

There are a lot of PFs and Cs in this draft that put up numbers, but aren't skilled.

Pons impacted the game alot this past season with his athleticism but his defensive iq needs to catch up to his body to be impactful on the next level after next season since he is returning...
Bey is one of those deep sleepers imo that could be a steal if he falls to the late first or early 2nddue to age but might be an overpick for anyone looking at him early 20s if they are expecting a knock down 3 point shooter off of a small sample size. imo hes one of the best defenders in this draft though and his ability to get the line is not to be ignored either.
Tillman's advanced stats are the sell, but Im not sold he is a first rounder in most drafts but will definitely gets drafted
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 am

He gets to the line because he has good positioning for offensive boards. He does the little things, but he literally can’t handle the ball and passes up on a lot of shots. He doesn’t even really have a post game. There aren’t players that have that simple of a game in the NBA. Coaches won’t play players like that. MKG barely has a job and hes been in the league a while. His on-ball defense is good, but he’s not a dog on defense. Yves Pons is a dog and the best on-ball defender in college.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:47 am

doordoor123 wrote:He gets to the line because he has good positioning for offensive boards. He does the little things, but he literally can’t handle the ball and passes up on a lot of shots. He doesn’t even really have a post game. There aren’t players that have that simple of a game in the NBA. Coaches won’t play players like that. MKG barely has a job and hes been in the league a while. His on-ball defense is good, but he’s not a dog on defense. Yves Pons is a dog and the best on-ball defender in college.

yes he is and no hes not
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#18 » by Catchall » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:58 am

Deni Avdija

Isaac Okoro

Lamelo Ball

Aleksej Pokusevski

Paul Reed

Reggie Perry or Nick Richards
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#19 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:24 am

Let's just say it is...

1. Wiseman is the bust.
2. Late bloomer in the top 5 is Edwards
3. Wiseman is most likely to fall out of the top 5
4. RJ Hampton is the mid-first most likely to become a superstar. He's explosive and an exceptional athlete. He's raw though.
5. Late first round defensive specialist - no clue.
6. 2nd rounder who will be here in 7 years - Cassius Stanley.
It has been written...
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#20 » by shangrila » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:23 am

Tough. Not sure I see anyone busting as bad as he did or the Wolves reaching for someone (I'm sure they could get something, even minor, from a team wanting Ball. Like at worst 8 and the Dallas pick from NY). Probably Deni though, given he's a good fit for the Wolves and MAYBE they'd reach for him.

Though I personally wouldn't call him a tier 2 player.

Edwards.

Oladipo had some maturing to do before he got to where he is, same as Edwards. And while Edwards has never had Oladipo's motor I do think they both had significant issues on one side of the ball that will/did slow them from breaking out (Oladipo's offence, Edwards' defence).

Wiseman.

That rumour floated around shortly before the lottery. Apparently some scouts had him outside the top 10 or the lottery entirely. Not sure I buy that, even if he falls someone like Washington will take the risk, but still this is the best I've got. There's not a great comparison since Noel was injured so he had that flag. Wiseman just peaced out.

Either Maxey or Lewis Jr.

I'm probably irrationally high on KLJ. He's got speed you can't teach and has shown significant improvement to his sophomore year. Maxey I just like on both ends, it's tough to bet against a guy that works defensively without a lot of downside offensively. The shot should come around and then it's just his playmaking; if it was hidden at KU he's a stud PG if not he should still be a good combo.

Tyler Bey.

Currently mocked 26 on tankathon, I think he can legitimately guard 4 positions, maybe 5 if you're playing the Rockets. The question is whether his offence will be good enough to get him that kind of attention. I compare him to Roberson and he's never been DPoY likely because he's not a "name".

Late as in the 50s?

If so I'll go with Ashton Hagans. I think he's comparable to Elfrid Payton, who's not perfect but still a serviceable NBA player.

Return to NBA Draft