Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2019-2020 

Post#261 » by red4hf » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:10 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The Pacers just fired McMillan. I think he's done a terrific job with that team, they are very well coached. I think they made a mistake by firing him. He's a good coach.

I've been a fan of McMillan all the way back to his playing days, where he was a bit of an unsung hero on the Gary Payton Sonic teams. Sloan was a big fan of Nate McMillan too.

The Pacers were overachievers under McMillan's leadership. Regarding the playoff sweep from Miami, I don't think management should have expected more given Oladipo wasn't back to normal and they were missing Sabonis. On the other side, Miami was well stocked with good players who are capable of competing for the EC Championship.

I thought McMillan did a good job coaching the Blazers as well, where he regularly got to the playoffs despite having to coach thru the sad Greg Oden and Brandon Roy injury era. His last partial season there, 2011-12, Aldridge was his only star player. McMillan was fired after a 20-23 start to that 2011-12 season.

So Miami has the number one seeded Bucks down 3-0. If the Heat sweep the Bucks like they did the Pacers, firing McMillan for getting swept when he is playing without All Star Sabonis and with a 60% Oladipo is going to look even dumber.

Just an incredibly stupid decision.......
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#262 » by KqWIN » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:27 pm

Jimmy Butler is the player we should have blown our wad on...not Mike Conley. Not only is he a great player, but his attitude would work perfectly here.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#263 » by vryadli » Sun Sep 6, 2020 5:05 am

KqWIN wrote:Jimmy Butler is the player we should have blown our wad on...not Mike Conley. Not only is he a great player, but his attitude would work perfectly here.

I thought that he can be a cancer in locker room - and he didn't work out well for Philly. But he proved that it is not quite that and now I think he could go very well with Rudy. They have somewhat similar attitude.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#264 » by AingesBurner » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:59 pm

I remember when I said we should sign him last summer and everyone laughed at me..
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf

Post#265 » by red4hf » Sun Sep 6, 2020 10:51 pm

GobertReport wrote:I remember when I said we should sign him last summer and everyone laughed at me..

Did we have the cap space to sign him? I don't think Philadelphia would have taken Grayson Allen for him.....
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#266 » by AingesBurner » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:10 pm

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:I remember when I said we should sign him last summer and everyone laughed at me..

Did we have the cap space to sign him? I don't think Philadelphia would have taken Grayson Allen for him.....

The plethora of picks would probably have worked.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf

Post#267 » by red4hf » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:16 pm

GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:

I don't know about that..... 76ers got Josh Richardson from Miami, better than all the draft picks we would have been willing to give..... Late first round picks have much less value for a team looking to compete for a championship.....
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#268 » by AingesBurner » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:17 pm

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:

I don't know about that..... 76ers got Josh Richardson from Miami, better than all the draft picks we would have been willing to give..... Late first round picks have much less value for a team looking to compete for a championship.....

We would have to include Ingles.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#269 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:27 pm

KqWIN wrote:Jimmy Butler is the player we should have blown our wad on...not Mike Conley. Not only is he a great player, but his attitude would work perfectly here.

There were maybe two or three of us in favor of that. Everyone else was concerned about his attitude. The two or three of us saw his attitude as an MJ, in your face, basketball winning attitude. Although there would be a concern about his 3pt shooting, everything else about him would have been perfect.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#270 » by KqWIN » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:08 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:

There were maybe two or three of us in favor of that. Everyone else was concerned about his attitude. The two or three of us saw his attitude as an MJ, in your face, basketball winning attitude. Although there would be a concern about his 3pt shooting, everything else about him would have been perfect.

I think it's tough to mix young players finding their place and vets trying to establish their legacy. Jimmy's attitude never bothered me, and I thought it would be a good thing for our team because Gobert operated the same way. Maybe that's why Gobert and Mitchell clashed...but if it's Jimmy+Gobert, that is enough star power to make sure that they define the culture. I feel like there's just too weird of a dynamic between Gobert where they're different, one is better than other, but the other gets the majority of the attention.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#271 » by stitches » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:35 pm

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I think it's tough to mix young players finding their place and vets trying to establish their legacy. Jimmy's attitude never bothered me, and I thought it would be a good thing for our team because Gobert operated the same way. Maybe that's why Gobert and Mitchell clashed...but if it's Jimmy+Gobert, that is enough star power to make sure that they define the culture. I feel like there's just too weird of a dynamic between Gobert where they're different, one is better than other, but the other gets the majority of the attention.

Yeah, I remember thinking Gobert and Butler would have loved eachother. They are both "I don't give a damn" type of leaders. They call out outwardly and visibly their teammates for not giving effort and not making winning plays. They don't play the passive aggressive type BS. I thought they would fit seamlessly. My worry at the time had more to do with worry about his age at the end of his contract, but yeah... if we were going to break the bank it probably was better to do it on him than on Conley. The weird thing is that Butler's attitude got questioned for nothing else other than being extremely demanding from him teammates and then asking for a trade when those teammates didn't respond in kind. Now I'm far away from saying Butler handled that thing perfectly... he didn't... but in the root of it all was extreme competitiveness and if you can channell that into a good direction(what MIA has done) and pair him with similar minded players and coaches(I believe we have at least several of those) IMO it could have worked really well too.

BTW just want to point out that Jimmy Butler was a free agent and it's very possible he just didn't want to come to Utah anyways.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#272 » by KqWIN » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:45 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:There were maybe two or three of us in favor of that. Everyone else was concerned about his attitude. The two or three of us saw his attitude as an MJ, in your face, basketball winning attitude. Although there would be a concern about his 3pt shooting, everything else about him would have been perfect.

Yeah, I remember thinking Gobert and Butler would have loved eachother. They are both "I don't give a damn" type of leaders. They call out outwardly and visibly their teammates for not giving effort and not making winning plays. They don't play the passive aggressive type BS. I thought they would fit seamlessly. My worry at the time had more to do with worry about his age at the end of his contract, but yeah... if we were going to break the bank it probably was better to do it on him than on Conley. The weird thing is that Butler's attitude got questioned for nothing else other than being extremely demanding from him teammates and then asking for a trade when those teammates didn't respond in kind. Now I'm far away from saying Butler handled that thing perfectly... he didn't... but in the root of it all was extreme competitiveness and if you can channell that into a good direction(what MIA has done) and pair him with similar minded players and coaches(I believe we have at least several of those) IMO it could have worked really well too.

BTW just want to point out that Jimmy Butler was a free agent and it's very possible he just didn't want to come to Utah anyways.

There were some concerns about Butler besides his attitude, but yeah his attitude never bothered me and I thought it was a plus. Like...we're really going to crucify Butler because his attitude clashed with Wiggins and Towns? Something tells me Butler knows how to win and those guys do not.

Ironically, Conley came with a lot of the other concerns. He's older than Butler, his contract situation with the player option was worse, and Conley also had injury concerns.

Who knows if we would have actually been able to pull it off, but it's a big what if IMO. If we had Butler, I think we're actually a title contender or extremely close to it. That guy is a killer. This is right there with choosing George Hill over Jrue Holiday (which was more forgivable given that Hill worked out too well).

Hell, if we could have just gotten CP3 or Shroeder instead of Conley we'd have been in a much better spot.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#273 » by Catchall » Mon Sep 7, 2020 8:05 pm

So there's this rumor floating about. Jazz would trade Conley to the Knicks for Randle.

https://dailyknicks.com/2020/09/06/knicks-rumors-trading-julius-randle-top-priority/
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
red4hf

Post#274 » by red4hf » Mon Sep 7, 2020 8:33 pm

Catchall wrote:So there's this rumor floating about. Jazz would trade Conley to the Knicks for Randle.

https://dailyknicks.com/2020/09/06/knicks-rumors-trading-julius-randle-top-priority/

Just kill me if that happens......
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#275 » by stitches » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:31 pm

Catchall wrote:So there's this rumor floating about. Jazz would trade Conley to the Knicks for Randle.

Sure... lets keep digging... we can surely screw this up even worse than it already is. Give them all the picks. Cuz Julius Randle is definitely great fit with Gobert and definitely better than Bojan. Why not give all the picks for backups? It makes total sense. **** hell.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#276 » by AingesBurner » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:07 pm

stitches wrote:

Sure... lets keep digging... we can surely screw this up even worse than it already is. Give them all the picks. Cuz Julius Randle is definitely great fit with Gobert and definitely better than Bojan. Why not give all the picks for backups? It makes total sense. **** hell.

I’m going to imagine that draft considerations is probably going to Utah. Count me in on a guy would like to see Randle on the team, hell Randle looked pretty damn good when he play for New Orleans last year and he’s better back up 5 then Niang.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#277 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:00 pm

I could totally see the Jazz brass being interested in swapping $35M in salary for $19M, and being on the hook for only $4M the following year if he doesn't work out or if they need the cap space (with Gobert and DM needing to be extended, they will).

Randle would be intriguing too. He was asked to be "the guy" with the Knicks, but in Utah he would be at best the #4 guy, and perhaps just the backup big or small ball big. He could probably pnr with Ingles quite effectively as a backup tandem. His outside shot isn't great, and his defense lacking, but overall he could be a good fit in a role position.

What other viable move for Conley (other than keeping him) could the Jazz make?

Edit: Interesting article about Randle https://dailyknicks.com/2020/07/14/watch-nbas-return-style-massive-deals/
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#278 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:01 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:

I’m going to imagine that draft considerations is probably going to Utah. Count me in on a guy would like to see Randle on the team, hell Randle looked pretty damn good when he play for New Orleans last year and he’s better back up 5 then Niang.

For the Knicks to agree to take on $16M additional salary, the pick (maybe #23 this year) would go to NY.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#279 » by sipclip » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:46 pm

I would have no issue with a Randle trade if a guy like Dennis Smith comes along as well so we can get a cheap look at him. My preference though would be Conley for Portis, Smith and Ellington or Taj Gibson.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#280 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:14 am

I used to be a Randle guy, but he was dreadful this past season and I've come to my senses on him. Smith I have no interest in him. I don't see him as a high potential player as he does very few things at an average NBA level and has had plenty of chances only to prove that he's not that great.

Return to Utah Jazz