ImageImageImage

Iowa Wolves/G League talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#561 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:14 pm

Klomp wrote:This could be a potentially significant development this offseason, if they pick right. Essentially they could have next year's two-way players in camp working on the system already. At the very least, Iowa can get a free look at guys. Last year's affiliate players were Canyon Barry, Barry Brown, Lindell Wigginton and Jordan Murphy.

Read on Twitter

I predict Minnesota will invite Tyus Battle, James Webb III, Jordan Murphy, Jaylen Johnson and Barry Brown.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#562 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:05 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
Klomp wrote:This could be a potentially significant development this offseason, if they pick right. Essentially they could have next year's two-way players in camp working on the system already. At the very least, Iowa can get a free look at guys. Last year's affiliate players were Canyon Barry, Barry Brown, Lindell Wigginton and Jordan Murphy.

Read on Twitter

I predict Minnesota will invite Tyus Battle, James Webb III, Jordan Murphy, Jaylen Johnson and Barry Brown.

Yeah I think Webb is someone to watch going into next year for a two-way contract actually. One thing with him, he spent time in 2017-18 with the Long Island Nets on a two-way deal before spending last season with Iowa. Sound familiar? That's a similar path as Jordan McLaughlin took. Webb had a year in between where he went overseas, but he's still a guy that Pascucci worked with over there and essentially brought with him.

He could slot right into the SF/PF role we've been looking for. He's a little on the older side having turned 27 yesterday, but that could allow for a quicker impact than someone younger might give.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#563 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:47 am

Klomp wrote:He could slot right into the SF/PF role we've been looking for. He's a little on the older side having turned 27 yesterday, but that could allow for a quicker impact than someone younger might give.

He's proved enough, he's old enough for a shot to play right now. In fact probably too old to mes with this two way contract trash. Play him. Another player with Brooklyn Nets start like Jmac so probably knows the offense well. Looked good in Iowa right away. Sign him to a meager and short but real deal and get his tail on the team already. 100% I'm for this. Hoping he's got some defense to his game, looks like offense is a given.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#564 » by Klomp » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:58 am

Jedzz wrote:He's proved enough, he's old enough for a shot to play right now. In fact probably too old to mes with this two way contract trash. Play him. Another player with Brooklyn Nets start like Jmac so probably knows the offense well. Looked good in Iowa right away. Sign him to a meager and short but real deal and get his tail on the team already. 100% I'm for this. Hoping he's got some defense to his game, looks like offense is a given.

Well there goes that.....

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#565 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:He's proved enough, he's old enough for a shot to play right now. In fact probably too old to mes with this two way contract trash. Play him. Another player with Brooklyn Nets start like Jmac so probably knows the offense well. Looked good in Iowa right away. Sign him to a meager and short but real deal and get his tail on the team already. 100% I'm for this. Hoping he's got some defense to his game, looks like offense is a given.

Read on Twitter

Iowa Wolves is a waste of time if they don't utilize the good players showing readiness. If all it ends up being is a place for the team to stash two-way contract filler to cover injuries than it's just a waste of funds. When they find real players ready to go, sign them to team friendly real deals and bring them aboard. They could stop throwing so many guesses at draft picks and empty draft pick minutes and snowball those picks into more down the road. Call up Larisa and tell them they can't have him. Call up Webb and apologize for letting him dangle in the wind so long.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Post#566 » by shangrila » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:10 pm

Klomp wrote:

Read on Twitter

Eh, not sure it means too much. A lot of guys on the bottom end of the league are probably going to be looking at deals elsewhere to make ends meet. Nobody knows what the NBA will do or how it will operate next season after all. I mean, will they even do 2 way contracts? They presumably won't have a special bubble for the G League.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#567 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Read on Twitter

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#568 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great news. I hope all the players that would be playing college in the past go G League now instead. College should only get the leftovers. Table scraps etc..........

Or the people who actually want an education.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#569 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great news. I hope all the players that would be playing college in the past go G League now instead. College should only get the leftovers. Table scraps etc..........

Sounds nice for the kids in theory.

Brad
@therealbradbok
This is one of the few big yeses of this pandemic. Gotta give these kids an option other than slavery to the NCAA

Except I'm sorry Brad, no one told you they would just be trading one form of short term slavery to earn the chance to be locked into career long slavery when they realize where the Gleague route peaks out at.

They should go play in Europe for a real career unless someone tells them they've lucked into media hype for a draft, toss this league. At least those teams take care of their players.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#570 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Brad
@therealbradbok
This is one of the few big yeses of this pandemic. Gotta give these kids an option other than slavery to the NCAA

Except I'm sorry Brad, no one told you they would just be trading one form of short term slavery to earn the chance to be locked into career long slavery when they realize where the Gleague route peaks out at.

They should go play in Europe for a real career unless someone tells them they've lucked into media hype for a draft, toss this league. At least those teams take care of their players.

Jedzz I have no sympathy for the poor professional athletes and their slavery. If I can get paid huge amounts of money to play a game that I should love I would do it anywhere I had to do it.
Dan33185
Senior
And1: 902

Post#571 » by Dan33185 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Brad
@therealbradbok

Going the slavery route always gives me a chuckle.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#572 » by Jedzz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Dan33185 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Great news. I hope all the players that would be playing college in the past go G League now instead. College should only get the leftovers. Table scraps etc..........

Brad
@therealbradbok

People taking these literally always give me a chuckle.

Imagine yourself today going to work to make widgets. All your coworkers are making millions a year, some a making 20,000/hr for anything even practice making widgets.(4/hrs per day, 365 days yr, 82k per day, 30MM yr). Some aren't even expected to work, they are just there until traded to the fidgets company but they might even make 5 million. You make enough to keep paying your power bill. It's not slavery, no.
Dan33185
Senior
And1: 902

Post#573 » by Dan33185 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Imagine yourself today going to work to make widgets. All your coworkers are making millions a year, some a making 20,000/hr for anything even practice making widgets.(4/hrs per day, 365 days yr, 82k per day, 30MM yr). Some aren't even expected to work, they are just there until traded to the fidgets company but they might even make 5 million. You make enough to keep paying your power bill. It's not slavery, no.

Looks like we agree.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#574 » by Jedzz » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:23 pm

Dan33185 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Looks like we agree.

No. You and I will probably never.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#575 » by Norseman79 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Are they free to quit and go get a different job? Do they make widgets as well (quality) as other workers? Do people pay to see the widgets they make? Do they willingly sign a contract for a salary and a set amount of time for which they potentially tie their services to a widget company? If they make widgets well enough could they be promoted and get paid even more?
These players are not "victims".
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#576 » by Jedzz » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Are they free to quit and go get a different job? Do they make widgets as well (quality) as other workers? Do people pay to see the widgets they make? Do they willingly sign a contract for a salary and a set amount of time for which they potentially tie their services to a widget company? If they make widgets well enough could they be promoted and get paid even more?

You feel better now posting that nonsense?

Are you able to quit your Widget job? Sure. Nothing stopping you. Does that make the actions of the Widget business correct, fair, wise in the scenario I presented? No, it does not. There is no reason for your strange questions. They all make widgets. Just like JMac produces scores and playmakes for others on the same floor - same basket, and better than many on the team. So in this scenario, he's making more widgets, better widgets, and gets the absolute lowest salary possible, the lowest chance at minutes possible, the lowest chance to see the court possible. The business adds new people and pay them more when they don't need to, yet use rules to keep him making widgets for them. If it was a normal Widget job, the person walks out of that horribly run business, sure. But this isn't a normal business, is it? That's why the comparison.

Is he free to quit and go get a different job? No. He was a RFA. He's not free to quit and just go to another NBA team job. If he wasn't a RFA, could he quit? Yes. Just like Rosas QUIT on this first GM position three months into working for a team he didn't feel was a good fit for him. Did you know about that? It's OK for Rosas to walk out on a team 3 months in after they hire him as GM because the "situation wasn't right" for his career, but it's not OK for JMac to walk out on a team that won't respect his play with even a standard minimum NBA guaranteed deal and has now made sure up to 5 guards will likely play before him and now has forced him into a two way for the second year in a row. It's a horrible situation for his career now but this GM felt it was within his powers to keep a thumb over this player. That RFA status they held over him while letting others like Martin walk is the tie to the slavery term, feeling you have that power over someone and you wield it like it was a success, that and how much they refuse to pay him anything real even remotely compared to his peers there.

You don't like the word slavery. It's harsh I get it. But I used it for that reason so you take note and because this is one person taking advantage of another person's situation and stopping him from a chance to improve his situation. Which is a form a slavery. Find me a better term for what they are doing? No, he's not working the cotton fields for his masta if that's all you think slavery is. But you would be wrong. That's not all it is. There is a rule or piece of paper saying they own his rights without having to pay him fairly for it. Their allowed QO for someone in this situation is an absolute joke.

The players association has not done enough for these players that successfully entered the league this way and proved useful. Teams shouldn't be able to hold rights over them, RFA or otherwise, without at least a real league minimum guaranteed deal offered.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#577 » by minimus » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I hope we get Patton and Wooten for Iowa
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#578 » by urinesane » Wed Jan 6, 2021 11:18 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:Are they free to quit and go get a different job? Do they make widgets as well (quality) as other workers? Do people pay to see the widgets they make? Do they willingly sign a contract for a salary and a set amount of time for which they potentially tie their services to a widget company? If they make widgets well enough could they be promoted and get paid even more?

You feel better now posting that nonsense?

Are you able to quit your Widget job? Sure. Nothing stopping you. Does that make the actions of the Widget business correct, fair, wise in the scenario I presented? No, it does not. There is no reason for your strange questions. They all make widgets. Just like JMac produces scores and playmakes for others on the same floor - same basket, and better than many on the team. So in this scenario, he's making more widgets, better widgets, and gets the absolute lowest salary possible, the lowest chance at minutes possible, the lowest chance to see the court possible. The business adds new people and pay them more when they don't need to, yet use rules to keep him making widgets for them. If it was a normal Widget job, the person walks out of that horribly run business, sure. But this isn't a normal business, is it? That's why the comparison.

Is he free to quit and go get a different job? No. He was a RFA. He's not free to quit and just go to another NBA team job. If he wasn't a RFA, could he quit? Yes. Just like Rosas QUIT on this first GM position three months into working for a team he didn't feel was a good fit for him. Did you know about that? It's OK for Rosas to walk out on a team 3 months in after they hire him as GM because the "situation wasn't right" for his career, but it's not OK for JMac to walk out on a team that won't respect his play with even a standard minimum NBA guaranteed deal and has now made sure up to 5 guards will likely play before him and now has forced him into a two way for the second year in a row. It's a horrible situation for his career now but this GM felt it was within his powers to keep a thumb over this player. That RFA status they held over him while letting others like Martin walk is the tie to the slavery term, feeling you have that power over someone and you wield it like it was a success, that and how much they refuse to pay him anything real even remotely compared to his peers there.

You don't like the word slavery. It's harsh I get it. But I used it for that reason so you take note and because this is one person taking advantage of another person's situation and stopping him from a chance to improve his situation. Which is a form a slavery. Find me a better term for what they are doing? No, he's not working the cotton fields for his masta if that's all you think slavery is. But you would be wrong. That's not all it is. There is a rule or piece of paper saying they own his rights without having to pay him fairly for it. Their allowed QO for someone in this situation is an absolute joke.

The players association has not done enough for these players that successfully entered the league this way and proved useful. Teams shouldn't be able to hold rights over them, RFA or otherwise, without at least a real league minimum guaranteed deal offered.

Exploitation is not slavery and being extra hyperbolic to emphasize your point doesn't help. Don't be so dramatic.

Now NCAA sports...
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#579 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:31 am

urinesane wrote:Exploitation is not slavery and being extra hyperbolic to emphasize your point doesn't help. Don't be so dramatic.

Now NCAA sports...
Exploitation might be one word for it. But Exploitation might just be a more modern term for slavery as well. Are you the authority on what is and what isn't? As noted, there on a piece of paper somewhere he was labeled RFA by this GM. So they own his future. (unlike someone like Martin who they recinded the QO for to release/) But unlike everyone else above two way deals, he doesn't even have a League Minimum guaranteed deal for playing for them. What on earth are the NBA League minimum and Vet minimums for if they are just going to create a class of players that don't even deserve that.

What is modern slavery? Read about it.

Modern slavery is the severe exploitation of other people for personal or commercial gain. ...From the outside, it can look like a normal job. But people are being controlled –

People could make an argument that Two Way deals help more players enter this league and give them a chance at the NBA. But that same argument is going to fall flat on its face when examples of players stuck on these two way deals forever, getting used for multiple seasons comes up. RFA rules should not be usable on players that never got a real deal in the firstt place. A team should be forced to make a choice to keep or release after a first Two Way is used on a player. If they keep them, then League Minimum is the minimum and the amount is rated by years in the league. Which is another question, does a player on a Two Way such as JMac last season get counted for a year served? How about the year served in the Gleague prior with Nets? Regardless, there is a minimum deal that should have at least been offered. They didn't, and they exploited his situation and kept him below the League poverty line of Minimums.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,520

Post#580 » by WolfAddict » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:48 am

Logging in, I did NOT expect the G League thread to be a debate about the definition of the term "slavery"... But, these are strange times I suppose...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves