Aleksej Pokusevski

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#401 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:48 pm

nolang1 wrote:He didn't play for their B team from late November to late February. Are you trying to tell me that someone with those numbers was suddenly bad enough to get DNP-CDs lol

He wasn't playing during that time because he was injured. They didn't bench him. I can't remember his exact injury, but I think it was a back injury or something like that. He was out due to injury, not because he was getting DNP-CDs.

And the team was winning all their games without him, so there was no need to rush him back until he was fully healthy.

There is no conspiracy in European basketball to hide NBA draft prospects from NBA scouts. I don't know where this false narrative began, although I remember it really starting with guys like Kurucs, Bender, and Hezonja. Bottom line, none of it was true even 1% in those cases, and it's not true even 1% in Poku's case overall.

This is some kind of strange marketing gimmick for the NBA that US sports media has totally created out of thin air. There isn't even a single iota of truth to it.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#402 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 3:00 pm

Saberestar wrote:At which spot do you think that Pokusevski deserves to be selected in the draft? Over or under #15? I want to know your personal opinion.

If a team is drafting him for right now, and planning on using him in the NBA next season to compete with, then he should be drafted lower than that. Because he's a clear project. If a team has no issue with letting him develop in the G-League, or in Europe, then they could take him higher, if they don't need his contribution right now.

I think he's ideal for a team that wants to use a first round pick on a player that won't count against the cap, because they can leave him in Europe. He doesn't have to stay with Olympiacos either. He's not going to be getting any minutes on their senior team in EuroLeague without injuries. But he could be on some first division team in some European league, where he could get playing time. Nothing like EuroLeague level, but he could probably get playing time in some mid level Adriatic League club or something like that.

If the team that drafted him then thinks at some point that they want him for the NBA, then they can sign him, with that first round deal locked in place. If not, then the can just stay in Europe, and the team drafting him never has to waste that cap space. So basically, the same example of guys like Ricky Rubio, Nikola Mirotic, Nikola Milutinov, and so forth.

There is another option, which would be a team could draft him higher than 15th and play him right away, if they are tanking. He would definitely be a great option for a lotto pick, for any team that is tanking. So for any team that you know is tanking on purpose, he's a definite obvious option.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#403 » by nolang1 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 3:40 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:He didn't play for their B team from late November to late February. Are you trying to tell me that someone with those numbers was suddenly bad enough to get DNP-CDs lol

He wasn't playing during that time because he was injured. They didn't bench him. I can't remember his exact injury, but I think it was a back injury or something like that. He was out due to injury, not because he was getting DNP-CDs.

And the team was winning all their games without him, so there was no need to rush him back until he was fully healthy.

There is no conspiracy in European basketball to hide NBA draft prospects from NBA scouts. I don't know where this false narrative began, although I remember it really starting with guys like Kurucs, Bender, and Hezonja. Bottom line, none of it was true even 1% in those cases, and it's not true even 1% in Poku's case overall.

This is some kind of strange marketing gimmick for the NBA that US sports media has totally created out of thin air. There isn't even a single iota of truth to it.

It’s not a conspiracy that European teams are all about who can help you win right away and have no interest in developing players when it becomes apparent they aren’t going to be around to play for them.
Sea2003
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#404 » by Sea2003 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 4:16 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Drafting Poku isn't about immediate success, it's about realizing the skills he has, willing to take the time to help him develop both his skills and his body further, and then in 2-3 years hopefully have a player that went from raw but extremely talented like Giannis into an All-Star or better. A team that is already borderline playoff or is a playoff team and has multiple 1sts, like Boston, are the exact environments that will let Poku reach his full potential.

I don't think Boston would be a good fit considering how tight their rotation is. Best cast scenario, he plays 8 min per game. That isn't nearly enough for him to develop accordingly. I think New Orleans and OKC would be a better fit
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#405 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:33 pm

nolang1 wrote:It’s not a conspiracy that European teams are all about who can help you win right away and have no interest in developing players when it becomes apparent they aren’t going to be around to play for them.

European teams don't actually do that. Yet it keeps being claimed in these forums and in US sports media that they do. It's easily one of the most ridiculous myths ever created in sports.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,275

Post#406 » by mademan » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:08 pm

I have no idea why you would draft Poku and leave him in Europe. It's no secret the NBA game is different and you want him developing here to maximize his NBA potential. Getting playing time on some 3rd tier league (cause he's not doing it in the best European leagues) is not gonna develop him as well as playing in G-league here
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#407 » by nolang1 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:55 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:It’s not a conspiracy that European teams are all about who can help you win right away and have no interest in developing players when it becomes apparent they aren’t going to be around to play for them.

European teams don't actually do that. Yet it keeps being claimed in these forums and in US sports media that they do. It's easily one of the most ridiculous myths ever created in sports.

No, it's easily much less ridiculous than when people like you claim that European teams are so good that anyone less than an NBA all-star couldn't get playing time for them. There have been plenty of players like Kurucs over the years who have managed to not be the worst players in the NBA as rookies despite your insistence otherwise.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#408 » by UcanUwill » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Euro teams develop young players, but there are lot of different variables. I mean a lot of the times players get developed for an idea of selling them to bigger clubs or NBA clubs. Obviously Olympiacos is less motivated to develop Aleksej now because hes already reached what they hoped to achieve, they will get their NBA buyout.

Stash him would be great, I mean did G league scrubs helped anyone? I would rather stash him on some FIBA champions league team than see him play G league, I dont really like that hes committed to come over right way, I think playing on a bit better team than G league team, with players who are there to actually win, not to just showcase themselves to PRO teams. But oh well, I mean Hartenstein dominates G league now, but Houston still think hes useless.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#409 » by EvanZ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Euro teams develop young players, but there are lot of different variables. I mean a lot of the times players get developed for an idea of selling them to bigger clubs or NBA clubs. Obviously Olympiacos is less motivated to develop Aleksej now because hes already reached what they hoped to achieve, they will get their NBA buyout.

Stash him would be great, I mean did G league scrubs helped anyone? I would rather stash him on some FIBA champions league team than see him play G league, I dont really like that hes committed to come over right way, I think playing on a bit better team than G league team, with players who are there to actually win, not to just showcase themselves to PRO teams. But oh well, I mean Hartenstein dominates G league now, but Houston still think hes useless.

Seems to me the GL has always been worse for bigs than guards and wings. Damian Jones routinely dominated in the GL, and he's the worst basketball player ever.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#410 » by Revenged25 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:56 pm

EvanZ wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Euro teams develop young players, but there are lot of different variables. I mean a lot of the times players get developed for an idea of selling them to bigger clubs or NBA clubs. Obviously Olympiacos is less motivated to develop Aleksej now because hes already reached what they hoped to achieve, they will get their NBA buyout.

Seems to me the GL has always been worse for bigs than guards and wings. Damian Jones routinely dominated in the GL, and he's the worst basketball player ever.

It's probably because the skills guards need to develop in ball handling, passing vision, shot selection, etc can be developed through repetitions even against worse players if they are actively trying. For bigs a lot of their development needs to come against players of similar/better caliber otherwise they'll just be able to rely on their natural gifts which might seem NBA caliber compared to GL bigs, but are crap compared NBA bigs.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#411 » by pad300 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm

Revenged25 wrote:It's probably because the skills guards need to develop in ball handling, passing vision, shot selection, etc can be developed through repetitions even against worse players if they are actively trying. For bigs a lot of their development needs to come against players of similar/better caliber otherwise they'll just be able to rely on their natural gifts which might seem NBA caliber compared to GL bigs, but are crap compared NBA bigs.

Interesting idea, and IMO, insightful.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#412 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:22 pm

pad300 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:It's probably because the skills guards need to develop in ball handling, passing vision, shot selection, etc can be developed through repetitions even against worse players if they are actively trying. For bigs a lot of their development needs to come against players of similar/better caliber otherwise they'll just be able to rely on their natural gifts which might seem NBA caliber compared to GL bigs, but are crap compared NBA bigs.

Interesting idea, and IMO, insightful.

New Zalgiris coach who coached G league teams prior was asked postgame what is the biggest difference between this level level and G league, and he said the biggest difference is ball movement, and that open man at Euroleague level will be found on offense, where in G league he said you really need to ask player to pass to open man. It is not ideal environment for bigs especially.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#413 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:14 pm

UcanUwill wrote:New Zalgiris coach who coached G league teams prior was asked postgame what is the biggest difference between this level level and G league, and he said the biggest difference is ball movement, and that open man at Euroleague level will be found on offense, where in G league he said you really need to ask player to pass to open man. It is not ideal environment for bigs especially.

We've already seen Team USA's all star G-League team have struggles against national teams like Mexico, Uruguay, and Argentina that were also playing without NBA and EuroLeague players.

We also saw two straight FIBA Intercontinental Cup tournaments, where the G-League champions (also being reinforced by some NBA players), lost every game to teams from Brazil, Argentina (BCL Americas), and Basketball Champions League Europe.

And the games were pretty much blowouts. This tells us all we need to know about the level of the G-League.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#414 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:18 am

has Poku been as bad as his stats suggest? jesus christ.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,210

Post#415 » by bondom34 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 am

Flashes. But yeah he's been rough, could use G league.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,222

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski. 

Post#416 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:45 am

clyde21 wrote:has Poku been as bad as his stats suggest? jesus christ.

Surprisingly he’s better defensively than offensively. Leave it to the thunder to find a shooter that can’t shoot. His shot is so broken. It looks completely different with each release. His misses are seldom close. He’s going to have to completely rework it this offseason. Don’t think he’s a bust but I don’t expect to see much on the court progress this year. Hopefully the experiences he’s getting will pay off down the line.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#417 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:has Poku been as bad as his stats suggest? jesus christ.

Its just says about team goals that hes playing at all, I mean he literally was Euroleague's version of G league send off in Greece, and months later hes playing NBA minutes, guy has to be the least NBA ready player in the league easily, and he is still getting minutes, its super impressive that team gotten some wins this season, their goal is obviously just develop guys for the future, on no other team he would be playing, and that would be fine.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#418 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:31 pm

Anyone that expected him to come in and light up the league his rookie season wasn't paying attention. He needed time to develop just like Giannis did. Any real contribution prior to his 3rd season should be seen as a positive.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#419 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:57 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Anyone that expected him to come in and light up the league his rookie season wasn't paying attention. He needed time to develop just like Giannis did. Any real contribution prior to his 3rd season should be seen as a positive.

of course he's a huge project, that was obvious, but even if you comp him to Giannis' rookie season it's still a terrible picture for Poku.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#420 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:of course he's a huge project, that was obvious, but even if you comp him to Giannis' rookie season it's still a terrible picture for Poku.

Olympiacos' coach made it clear that Poku wasn't good enough to make the team's practice squad, not the actual team, just the practice squad for THIS SEASON. Not last season, but this season. I mean, Alexis Nikolaidis made their practice squad this season, and I think he's like a high school junior or something like that.

It's like I said earlier in this thread, Poku is a long term project, and would only be playing on tanking NBA teams. He's like 4-5 years or maybe even longer away from physically developing. If anyone thinks he's underperforming in any way, they have zero clue about the level he was actually at when drafted.

He's a similar case like Papagiannis or Bender - he was drafted being 5 years or more from his physical development. The key will be does he end up like Bender, a player that never developed into anything, even now at age 23, or does he end up like Papagiannis, being quite a good player at 23, and still constantly getting better and improving.

It is explained over and over in these forums that EuroLeague teams do not bench players to keep them from the NBA. That's just totally made up and untrue NBA fan fiction. Poku was playing in a development team for a reason last season, and he wasn't even the best player on the development team. He was more like the 3rd or 4th best player on the team. You can't expect the 3rd or 4th best player on a developmental team in Greece's 2nd division, to be ready for the NBA at age 18. He honestly wouldn't even be ready to produce on a lower end team in Greek first division.

So there really isn't anything surprising about his play so far. Just the fact that he has had some good moments here and there, shown some flashes, and had a couple OK games, is already a very good performance from him, considering what stage of development he is at.

The hope is just that he doesn't end up being like Bender, and just basically never amount to anything.

Return to NBA Draft