Bucks Adamant They Won't Trade Giannis Antetokounmpo If He Rejects Supermax

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Bucks Adamant They Won't Trade Giannis Antetokounmpo If He Rejects Supermax 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:44 am

The Milwaukee Bucks have no intention of trading Giannis Antetokounmpo this offseason should he pass on signing a supermax contract that could be worth $220 million over five seasons. Tim Bontemps of ESPN writes that "multiple sources are adamant that the Bucks won't trade him" under that scenario.

Antetokounmpo has made it clear this his priority is winning.

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Re: Bucks Adamant They Won't Trade Giannis Antetokounmpo If He Rejects Supermax 

Post#2 » by the_process » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:35 am

Giannis would be nuts to pass up that cash, especially when the league revenue is going to be way down for the next couple years. He will have no way to recoup it. Just sign it, and if need be force a trade later.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#3 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:57 am

the_process wrote:Giannis would be nuts to pass up that cash, especially when the league revenue is going to be way down for the next couple years. He will have no way to recoup it. Just sign it, and if need be force a trade later.

Elite players make more money from endorsements.

Going to a bigger market with a better supporting cast will make him crazy cash for the rest of his life.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
the_process
RealGM

Post#4 » by the_process » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:57 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
the_process wrote:Giannis would be nuts to pass up that cash, especially when the league revenue is going to be way down for the next couple years. He will have no way to recoup it. Just sign it, and if need be force a trade later.

Going to a bigger market with a better supporting cast will make him crazy cash for the rest of his life.

But Giannis can force a trade later if the Bucks don’t win and he’s tired of it. Meanwhile he cashes the big check in a down market.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 144

Post#5 » by Rashidi » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:08 pm

I don't think you understand how "forcing trades" works.

There's no forcing a trade if he's under contract for five years. He would be committing to Milwaukee for at least the next 3 years.
the_process
RealGM

Post#6 » by the_process » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:25 pm

Rashidi wrote:

There's no forcing a trade if he's under contract for five years. He would be committing to Milwaukee for at least the next 3 years.

I don’t think you understand how this is a players league now, and if he signs the supermax and they go out again in the 2nd round next year, he can simply go to ownership and say trade me quietly or I go public. The owner can say no, and then after just one interview you have a Jimmy Butler in Minnesota situation again regardless of how Giannis conducts his business.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,929

Post#7 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:37 pm

Rashidi wrote:

the bucks would trade him if he demanded it regardless of whatever his contract status was. i feel confident of that
MitchB3
Starter

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:54 pm

There are other avenues of regaining the money lost.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#9 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:45 pm

the_process wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

But Giannis can force a trade later if the Bucks don’t win and he’s tired of it. Meanwhile he cashes the big check in a down market.

And whoever he goes to will have to give up an arm and a leg to get him.

It's probably better just to leave. He doesn't have a legit vet to help him out and he doesn't have a young sidekick to play with in the future.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Rashidi
Rookie

Post#10 » by Rashidi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:30 pm

the_process wrote:I don’t think you understand how this is a players league now, and if he signs the supermax and they go out again in the 2nd round next year, he can simply go to ownership and say trade me quietly or I go public. The owner can say no, and then after just one interview you have a Jimmy Butler in Minnesota situation again regardless of how Giannis conducts his business.

Butler was able to do that because he was in a contract year. Thanks for illustrating my point.

Anthony Davis did it with one season left on his deal, and was ceremoniously dragged. Doing it w/ 3 years left immediately after re-signing? While maintained any semblance of "marketability"? Lol okay.
the_process
RealGM

Post#11 » by the_process » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Cash the check, Giannis; and worry about the rest later.
the_process
RealGM

Post#12 » by the_process » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:07 pm

Rashidi wrote:
the_process wrote:I don’t think you understand how this is a players league now, and if he signs the supermax and they go out again in the 2nd round next year, he can simply go to ownership and say trade me quietly or I go public. The owner can say no, and then after just one interview you have a Jimmy Butler in Minnesota situation again regardless of how Giannis conducts his business.

Butler was able to do that because he was in a contract year. Thanks for illustrating my point.

Anthony Davis did it with one season left on his deal, and was ceremoniously dragged. Doing it w/ 3 years left immediately after re-signing? While maintained any semblance of "marketability"? Lol okay.

Idk what you're talking about marketability for. He demands a trade, Bucks will find a team willing to pay to get him. Simple.

Return to Wiretap Discussion