Post#61 » by Hank7 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:16 pm

Frederick Edmund VanVleet Sr.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Lakers Targets - Free Agent Class 2020 

Post#62 » by Kilroy » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:11 am

Just a thought, but... Lonzo is about a $28M cap hit next season... The Pels are pretty much going to have to extend him this summer before the deadline.
I'm thinking he still doesn't really want to be in NO, and my guess is, he may end up a UFA... If we could get him on the cheap as a facilitator, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
We have a lot of money coming off the books so I'm not sure how any of this looks with Davis and Giannis obviously being top targets. But there's some interesting moves out there to think about.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#63 » by lazybatman » Mon Sep 7, 2020 6:28 am

Kilroy wrote:Just a thought, but... Lonzo is about a $28M cap hit next season... The Pels are pretty much going to have to extend him this summer before the deadline.
I'm thinking he still doesn't really want to be in NO, and my guess is, he may end up a UFA... If we could get him on the cheap as a facilitator, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
We have a lot of money coming off the books so I'm not sure how any of this looks with Davis and Giannis obviously being top targets. But there's some interesting moves out there to think about.

Indeed, a younger intelligent playmaking tall guard who can defend is exactly what we need. Lonzo's been brilliant this season. 63 games, 12 pts, 7 asts, 37.5% from 3. He wears proper basketball shoes now, which should help.. :lol: :lol:

Thing is, he's gelled really well with Zion and been producing rather well, so idk if they'll just let him go for free.

I'm thinking (priority wise)
1. FVV + Ibaka sign and trades for role players + exceptions.
2. Bertrans / Galinari / Bogdanovic sign and trade for Green + pieces.
3. CP3 / Lowry for all our role players.
4. Whiteside / Noel to replace Dwight / McGee
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#64 » by Dr Aki » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:09 am

Would rather throw the full non tax player MLE at Darren Collison

There is one skill hole I know we are missing, and that's a guard that will punish teams for going under on screens
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#65 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:39 am

Right now, avery Bradley's playing better than Green, and hes at home
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#66 » by wco81 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:01 am

But you got playoff Rondo already!
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#67 » by stan francisco » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:48 pm

Anthony Davis is a given.

On the block:
KCP, Waiters, JR Smith, McGee, Green

Staying: Rondo, Bradley, Caruso, Kuzma, LeBron, Davis, Howard, THT, Kostas

I want us to add FVV and Bertans. Don’t laugh but Cacok, Caroline, THT, Kostas are all ballers. I think all four will have long NBA careers. They might all start to break out next season.

Marianovic whenever available would be awesome off the bench. A PJ Tucker type (Artest) of tough ass is another type of player we could use.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#68 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:19 pm

Me, I know there's alotta guys mentioned. But I'm still goin Reggie Jackson. Reason being, I believe a Detroit or a Phoenix are going to outbid us on the Fred Van vleetstakes. I believe he's goin to the highest bidder. Secondly, our front office already made a move to acquire Jackson, but the Clipps got him. Which shows me what direction we might be headed
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#69 » by PKABOOICU » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:11 pm

The Lakers lack shooters, plain and simple. This playoff run is more and more telling of which players to keep and which players to let go.
Clearly, the Lakers should let Danny Green walk. Along with him, Avery Bradley can go too. Out of McGee and Dwight- One can stay, the other has to go.

Players to keep beyond this season-
Lebron, AD, Markieff, Rondo, Caruso....thats it.

Kuzma is our only trading piece.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,928

Post#70 » by zimpy27 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:42 pm

Take Bertans with MLE and hold. Team needs knockdown shooters more than anything else.

Keep an eye to 2021 FA class
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#71 » by stan francisco » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:25 pm

When is Klay’s contract up?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#72 » by wco81 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:04 am

He just signed an extension.

So 4 more years I believe.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#73 » by Vae Victus » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:57 pm

I think the moves come down to whether LAL FO thinks they have a chance at Giannis or any other superstar in 2021. Cuz if we constrain the team to 1 year deals only, that greatly reduces the talent level of player the team can attract in FA.

It's one thing to ask a player to do a 1+1 team option MLE, vs a 3-4 year MLE type of deal.

Also whether the team has a tax payer or non tax payer MLE available to use. It's a 3mil difference, so thats very sizable and difference of a solid impact player, to run of the mil role player.

Thus i'd consider 2 sets of players to go after, up and coming players who might accept a 1+1 team option non tax MLE, who want to roll the dice to win a chip as the 3rd best Laker and thus earn a fatass deal year (similar to how FVV played himself into a prime positino into FA). To players who i think will fit nicely in the next 2-3 years playing off of LBJ+AD.

If Lakers are under tax (renounce all FAs except AD, stretch waive Quinn Cook), will have non tax payer MLE (9.8mil) and a bi-annual exception to use (3.9mil). This can get 1 elite + 1 solid role player, which can be deadly when added to the existing roster, while LBJ is still in legendary mode.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by lazybatman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:43 pm

Dr Aki wrote:Would rather throw the full non tax player MLE at Darren Collison

There is one skill hole I know we are missing, and that's a guard that will punish teams for going under on screens

Dude's head's not in the game anymore, and he kinda rejected the Lakers earlier.. We should get someone who wants to win.
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by lazybatman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:47 pm

Vae Victus wrote:If Lakers are under tax (renounce all FAs except AD, stretch waive Quinn Cook), will have non tax payer MLE (9.8mil) and a bi-annual exception to use (3.9mil). This can get 1 elite + 1 solid role player, which can be deadly when added to the existing roster, while LBJ is still in legendary mode.

How does that work? Can you explain a bit more please.. maybe an example with salaries and CAP details.
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#76 » by Dr Aki » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:48 pm

lazybatman wrote:

Dude's head's not in the game anymore, and he kinda rejected the Lakers earlier.. We should get someone who wants to win.

We all know he wasn't risking big offers for 1.5 million dollars
lazybatman
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by lazybatman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
lazybatman wrote:

lol..

I just don't want another Avery Bradley kinda MIA when it counts the most next year. What if plays 4 months and quits the game again?
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#78 » by Dr Aki » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:59 pm

lazybatman wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
lazybatman wrote:Dude's head's not in the game anymore, and he kinda rejected the Lakers earlier.. We should get someone who wants to win.

lol..

I just don't want another Avery Bradley kinda MIA when it counts the most next year. What if plays 4 months and quits the game again?

You're talking about hypotheticals.

If he signs a multi year contract, he's going to play four that contract.

Bradley didn't have the foresight of a global pandemic that we needed to take into account
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#79 » by Vae Victus » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:09 am

lazybatman wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:If Lakers are under tax (renounce all FAs except AD, stretch waive Quinn Cook), will have non tax payer MLE (9.8mil) and a bi-annual exception to use (3.9mil). This can get 1 elite + 1 solid role player, which can be deadly when added to the existing roster, while LBJ is still in legendary mode.

How does that work? Can you explain a bit more please.. maybe an example with salaries and CAP details.

I use Shamsports Capulator for my salary cap scenarios.

Basically the gist is that, whatever the luxury tax line is set, lets hypothetically say its 110 mil, if you stay under that then your team gets access to a non tax payer MLE which starts at around 9.8mil, if you go over, then you get the lesser tax payer MLE at around 6.5mil a year. Also you get the Bi-annual exception (BAE) that you get access to every other year, so if you use it one year, you dont have it the next year. Thus there are some nice incentives to stay below the luxury tax.

So in the Lakers case, we gotta renounce all the FAs we dont care about keeping, AD will opt out, waiting to be re-signed for the max, so he's on a massive cap hold that counts against the cap. The team then needs to maneuver itself to stay below that lux tax line to get access to that nice non tax payer MLE and BAE. If we're lucky, McGee will opt out (he wont), KCP and Rondo might opt out, and thus we need to renounce them so as to wipe their cap holds off our cap.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=15729631285f5c2d43cbd96764504776

This clearly shows that happens, if everyone activates their team option except AD, and Quinn Cook isnt waived. However i dont think the tax line will be as high as it shows on that page. Due to CoVid the cap will likely stay around the same and the team will have to waive Quinn Cook and hope McGee or KCP opts out.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#80 » by Pythagoras » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:08 am

Man, after watching the Heat and the Celtics, I gotta say I’d like another versatile wing who can defend multiple positions and shoot a little bit. Is there even anyone out there like that?
Numbers rule the universe.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers