ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Keeper! He will be something special.
21%
Bust. He’s not improved and shown the ability to be consistent.
79%

Total votes: 96

Nbabrothers
Senior
And1: 203

Post#1 » by Nbabrothers » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:18 pm

He has great upside but have we seen enough of Knox to evaluate him as a bust?
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,636

Re: Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust? 

Post#2 » by DaGawd » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:29 pm

Where's the in between option. No one is gonna say he can be something special at this stage..
BaF
Washington Wizards
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,787

Post#3 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:31 pm

Bust... Knox is the worst player I have ever watched, and I can confidently say he's the worst player in the NBA.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,787

Post#4 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:32 pm

DaGawd wrote:Where's the in between option. No one is gonna say he can be something special at this stage..

If he can prove to be 12th man at this point, that would be considered special...

Because right now he looks like he should be playing in some Macedonian league, not the NBA
Free Palestine
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,097

Post#5 » by Juco24 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:49 pm

This is going to get ugly.... LMBO
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,722

Post#6 » by spree8 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:54 pm

Might as well keep him til the trade deadline at least... give him consistent rotation minutes at the 4 and see if he can boost his trade value or prove worth keeping (which I doubt).
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#7 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:55 pm

This why we never can rebuild because our fanbase is terrible to its players lol
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#8 » by Jay10 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:55 pm

He had a head coach for 2 years that forced him into 1-on-1 isolation plays when that wasn't his strength.

Knox will look a lot better with a head coach like Tom Thibodeau.
Nbabrothers
Senior

Post#9 » by Nbabrothers » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:00 pm

DaGawd wrote:Where's the in between option. No one is gonna say he can be something special at this stage..

I hear talk about his age and being so young being a positive and I get that and maybe he can be a role player but I’ve seen him have so many bad games that it’s frustrating. On fast breaks when he should drive he stops behind the three point line to take his shot and misses the majority of the time in my opinion. 33% from three isn’t bad but I wish he was more consistent. Whenever he drives he always goes up with the ball in both hands and gets fouled but misses the shot because he seems afraid.
Futureisnow
Head Coach
And1: 1,272

Post#10 » by Futureisnow » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:05 pm

Too early to tell. Gotta move him to a stretch 4 asap and hopefully under Coach Payne and Thibs they get the most out of him.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#11 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:06 pm

Knicks fans: Let's draft some projects!
Also Knicks fans: This kid sucks!
Nbabrothers
Senior

Post#12 » by Nbabrothers » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:06 pm

Jay10 wrote:He had a head coach for 2 years that forced him into 1-on-1 isolations plays when that wasn't his strength.

Knox will look a lot better with a head coach like Tom Thibodeau.

I hope so. Without any changes in our current core players that include Knox, RJ, Robinson, and Randle (I have to add him in because he is still under contract) and DS and how thibedou preaches defense, I’m very excited for this group.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#13 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:16 pm

That and the traditional 4th option centered around "STFU and GTFO" :lol:
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,313

Post#14 » by rajajackal » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:18 pm

i think he's significantly underperformed, and will undoubtedly progress to a higher mean in his career. happy to give him time. also wouldn't hesitate to send him out in trade for a star player (i.e. packaged with picks, randle, etc)
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:19 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Knicks fans: Let's draft some projects!

Gotta love people.

Let's hang Knox and Randle and draft Jaden McDaniels and Obi Toppin.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#16 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:20 pm

He's probably not good, but his value is so low that it makes sense to keep him and hope something clicks. Nothing really to lose since we will be bad again next year anyway.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#17 » by DOT » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:21 pm

I'll just copy and paste what I put in the draft thread about him:

I like to give guys at least 3 years before really judging them, especially when they're as young and raw as Knox was

I think a lot of his issues come from how bad we are at developing players and putting them in positions to succeed. Like, his rookie year he got to shoot with impunity because we were a bad team and knew it, and we played almost entirely 1 on 1 on offense, so he had to create most of his shots, something he wasn't good at and really still isn't. Then this year comes, and we move him from a combo forward to almost exclusively SF thanks to the poor roster construction of Pills (he played 50% of his minutes at SF his rookie year, up to 80% this year), which definitely didn't help him defensively, as he is really only a PF in the modern day.

What it means is, I think there is a decent NBA player in Knox somewhere, you just have to dig a bit to find it. From the eye test, I saw his effort and energy levels up considerably this year, and I think that shows in his win shares and on/off +/- per 100. He went from a -.03 ws/48 last year (meaning he was actively costing us games in the long run) to a +.007. Which isn't a big change, but it does show that he might have improved slightly despite worse box scores on offense. Then his rookie year he had a -11.3 on/off +/-, which means that we were 11.3 points per 100 possessions worse with him on the floor than off, up to -2.6 this year, which is a pretty big improvement, but we were still worse off with him on the floor than him on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a good year this year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. I also like to point out that Randle played 1000 more minutes than Knox, but Knox blocked 28 shots to his 22, for reference. But at the end of the day, SGA is just a better player than him right now, and probably always will be.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#18 » by Jay10 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:23 pm

moocow007 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Knicks fans: Let's draft some projects!

Gotta love people.

Let's hang Knox and Randle and draft Jaden McDaniels and Obi Toppin.

They think they're getting Kevin Durant and Amar'e Stoudemire. :lol:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:26 pm

As bad as the "advanced stats" said Knox was I thought he actually had a very good rookie season considering the everyone knew you were dealing with a project type guy.

Then, in traditional Knick tradition, instead of trying to develop and build on that, they sign a bunch of hired gun vets and bury Knox (and several other young players) on the bench. And instead of just sending him to the D League (which just about every sane and functional front office would do) so he can play they keep him on the parent club letting him just rot away (both in terms of lack of development and tanking his value).

There is talent there. He showed it in flashes during his rookie season. My question/concern is more about his mental toughness not his physical tools or basketball skills. A bit too early to be dumping him IMHO. You should at least let a functional front office and a clearly upgraded coaching staff with on paper a much better notion of player development work with him. Then if he still fails then you know for sure.

I wouldn't keep him at all costs but then again I wouldn't be giving him away for a 2nd round pick if that's all he can get you.

I mentioned this previously (not saying that they are the same type of player) but Jermaine Oneal looked even more lost than Knox did his first 2 years in the league and it took him 3 years to really start getting a feel for it. And obviously JO turned out to be pretty good.
Nbabrothers
Senior

Post#20 » by Nbabrothers » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:29 pm

rajajackal wrote:i think he's significantly underperformed, and will undoubtedly progress to a higher mean in his career. happy to give him time. also wouldn't hesitate to send him out in trade for a star player (i.e. packaged with picks, randle, etc)

I would focus on making more plays for Knox so that his trade value increases if he doesn’t F it up then look to package him with Randle for draft picks or at least a good role player.

Return to New York Knicks